JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q31. Grace and Gifts

Pastor Ralph

• 4 months later...

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6)

Why is there such a close relationship between "grace" (charis) and "gifts" (charisma)?

What is the chief characteristic of a generous person?

In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God's grace?

Grace is an undeserved gift .  

A generous person will practice just that.  Undeserved favour on the recipient.  

Spiritual gifts are not there to be hoarded by the person with that gift, but to be shared, to be used with or among the believers, the "church", in this way God's grace is distributed.  For we are not all given the same gifts.  But all the gifts are distributed so nothing is lacking in the body of believers.    

Charisma is not an attribute of an individual, which is how the term is commonly used, but is rather a gift given to a person so he or she can do whatever God needs done. Until now, I had thought of His gifts as permanent. I thought an individual would forever be a “teacher,” “prophet,” “evangelist” or “healer,” etc. But if this were the case, God’s gifts would be more like attributes. They'd make possible one’s vocation or calling.

But perhaps his graces are temporary attributes? Can charismata be given temporarily, in a particular circumstance, and then, perhaps, retracted? Can a person suddenly feel the spiritual power to speak His words of healing to a particular person in the church, and then never do it again?

Paul seemed to possess ALL the gifts. He had a huge role in the Kingdom and needed God’s grace to do it all.

In contrast, I have a tiny role in His kingdom – I have no spiritual gifts that I know of. When God uses me, and I believe He does, it’s in mundane and unsatisfying ways, and is a lot like what I could have done on my own, which is why I don’t think I’m gifted. If He wants me to do mundane things, why should I eagerly desire gifts that God has chosen not to give me? Shouldn’t I be content with whatever He gives?

I’m merging, in my mind, God’s grace in Pastor Ralph’s second definition (answers to prayer) with the third definition (gifts of the Spirit). Very confused. 

Back to the definition: Grace is His unmerited favor. A gift. Something good. The good things He gives are His graces. His charismata. Sometimes He gives permanent good gifts. Sometimes, He gives good gifts to help a Christian through a rough time in life. Sometimes He gives good gifts so a Christian can help others.

(Of course, in His sovereignty, Christians also experience UNmerited disaster, evil and pain which they are to regard as His grace, too. "Count it all joy ...")

So, the answer to the second part of the question – “What is the characteristic of a generous person?” could be this: a generous person is one who has been generously given to by God as well as generously gives to others. In this way, a person would be a conduit of His grace: grace would enter and exit like electricity in a wire.

I’m sorry but the third part of the question – How do spiritual gifts channel His grace? – is too much for me. 

You can have one or more of the gifts that Paul discusses, you can even have love in your heart, but if these gifts are not anchored by God’s grace, they will not stick. When you try to use your gift(s), they will fall flat.  The Holy Spirit will not provide the Words when you need them.  Your light will burn dimly, as if in a clay jar.  Your face will not glow with the Love of God. People will look at you and wonder about your intent.  Remember, God’s grace comes to you in abundance.  There is extra that flows through you and out into your surrounds.  If grace is not in you, grace cannot come through you.

A generous person puts love of others above love of self.  Their chief characteristic is having and maintaining the role of servant. The generous person gives from sacrifice, not from abundance. Think of the woman with the two small copper coins.  She gave everything with her offering, “…all she had to live on.” (Mark 12:42-44)

When you “wake up” and realize that you have been given a particular spiritual gift, you must know that you only have that gift because God gave it to you. Your free will would rather move towards carnal pleasures, but the POWER that comes with God’s grace gives you the POWER to fight the carnal body and instead embrace the spirit, and with that, the spiritual gifts. 

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) Why is there such a close relationship between “grace” (charis) and “gifts” (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God’s grace?

Both are undeserved and unearned. And they are both bestowed or given to glorify God.

A giving spirit. 

God gives us a spiritual gift so we can bless others with it (grace) and bring glory and honor to Him. When God is glorified and the focus is rightfully on Him, then people are drawn to Him. 

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) 
Why is there such a close relationship between "grace" (charis) and "gifts" (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God's grace?
The term charisma (gifts) found in Rom 12:6 and 1 Cor 12:1, and in numerous other verses, are closely related with spiritual gifts, and has a meaning of “graces” or “gifts of grace”. Both can be defined as favour bestowed, gifts freely and graciously given. The chief characteristic of a generous person, is that they give generously to the needs of others. Their motivation is that their generosity may build up the body of Christ, the church (Eph 4:12). It is never done for personal gain, glory or recognition. Each believer receives a gift from God, as an act of grace. They are there to manifest the attributes of our Lord Jesus Christ. There is not one believer who does not have a gift, and each gift is unique and is made up of a combination of different attributes and abilities. In other words, God's grace deals out differing gifts to different people. They differ in nature, power, and effectiveness according to the graces He has given us, and according to His wisdom and graciousness, not according to our faith. On top of this He also gives the necessary strength or ability to use and apply whatever gifts we have. Since as believers, we all are in Christ we are given these gifts to strengthen the whole church. Enabling the body of Christ to grow spiritually and numerically. 

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) Why is there such a close relationship between "grace" (charis) and "gifts" (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God's grace?

Grace and gifts are closely related because they both mean favor or something freely given or bestowed. The spiritual gifts are the evidence of God's grace to us. He wants us to use them to benefit the church and glorify Him not for ourselves.

The chief characteristic of a generous person is that he or she shows love to others by generously giving of their time, talents and money to help others.

Spiritual gifts channel God's grace by flowing from Him to others. He blesses us with gifts so that we can edify and build up the church and help others grow. But also so that His glory can be shown to others. That people would be drawn into the church and be saved and that it would grow.

Spiritual gifts are given to us by God’s grace. These Spiritual gifts which God has given to us are not solely for our own benefit but for the benefit of the whole church body so that the church lacks nothing. A generous person gives without counting the personal cost, especially when doing something for God. God’s grace helps us to use the spiritual gifts we have been given so that we can glorify Him, and be part of building up the church body by contributing our unique gifts to the benefit of all who come in contact with us.

There is a close relationship between grace (charis) and gifts (charisma) because with God's free gift of grace comes the power to share your free gifts with others in order to edify the church.

The chief characteristic of a generous person is that he shares that which he has with others or gives it away.

Spiritual gifts that God has bestowed on us is to channel that grace to others for edification or bring others into the Kingdom of God.

The relationship is that the gifts that we received are given to us by God through grace. God knows that we are undeserving of those gifts but His grace made us to be recipients in order to advance His Kingdom. 

A generous person gives without expecting anything back from the receiver. That is how our God is. He gives us so that we can serve others well with the gifts He has given us.

Spiritual gifts are given to us so that we can edify one another. Isn't it that when  Christian sees another one going astray, we are able through grace and truth bring that fellow Christian back into the fold. Spiritual gifts compliment one another in the body of Christ and as such assist us to grow, be stable and become matured spiritually.   

The link between grace and gifts is hidden in their name in Greek grace=charis=favour & gifts=charis=favour bestowed. Spiritual gifts are form God & they are 'given in grace & 'used in/with grace'.

The chief characteristics of a generous person is that they GIVE ... it is part of their nature to give to others automatically - as a natural reaction to seeing the need of others.

Spiritual gifts work by grace & they operate by God's grace working through/and in us

Freely, freely you have received

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) Why is there such a close relationship between “grace” (charis) and “gifts” (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God’s grace?

1. God has given us grace which we do not deserve or can earn. Therefore, with grace we are give gifts to edify the body of Christ. Both go together in a relationship because of being forgiven and free which allows us to use the gifts given in a lovely way.

2. A generous person must have love to be able to give and not expect anything back. Feeling good that he or she can help a person in need as seen or knowing there is a space of blankness. 

3. The gifts are give to us not for selfishness, but for us to share as needed and as God wants us to operate in freely. We must use the gifts with others to build up the body of Christ.

Just now, Debra Grant said:

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) Why is there such a close relationship between “grace” (charis) and “gifts” (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God’s grace?

1. God has given us grace which we do not deserve or can earn. Therefore, with grace we are give gifts to edify the body of Christ. Both go together in a relationship because of being forgiven and free which allows us to use the gifts given in a lovely way.

2. A generous person must have love to be able to give and not expect anything back. Feeling good that he or she can help a person in need as seen or knowing there is a space of blankness. 

3. The gifts are given to us not for selfishness, but for us to share as needed and as God wants us to operate in freely. We must use the gifts with others to build up the body of Christ.

Q31. (Ephesians 4:7; Romans 12:6; 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-6) Why is there such a close relationship between "grace" (charis) and "gifts" (charisma)? What is the chief characteristic of a generous person? In what ways do spiritual gifts channel God's grace? 

This study is teaching me that grace (charis) and gifts (charisma) are closely related but I am really struggling to understand the differences and the relationship between them.

I think a generous person is someone who gives freely without holding back and without feeling a sense of loss of what he has given out.

Spiritual gifts are given for the edification of others. Thus if for example when a member of the church with a spiritual gift of healing heals another sick church member, that sick church member has been healed by God through the channel of the gift of healing of the member with the spiritual gift from God.

Spiritual gifts are given to believers by God's grace. Spiritual gifts are given to us so that we use it to serve one another. The chief characteristic of a generous person is that they use the spiritual gifts given to them to serve other people. The spiritual gifts are given for the benefit of all. We are stewards or trustees of spiritual gifts given by God's grace, responsible to God to use them to build up God's people and Christ's work in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

All gifts from God share the common denominator of originating from His love. Charis and charisma particularly share the concept of grace gifts of favor. I loosely see charis as His grace freely given for my benefit of redemption, salvation, and eternal security. That differs from the specific spiritual gifts of charisma freely bestowed on me for the benefit of others as He builds the Body of Christ.

We reflect our love for Him and His love for all people as we follow His example of being generous with grace. As we obey the Spirit’s lead, God uses our spiritual gifts as conduits, or channels, to pour out His grace on others. It all boils down to love!

• 3 months later...

There is a close relationship between “grace and “gifts” because God is the giver of both. It is through God’s grace that we get our gifts. A generous person is always thankful for the gifts that they have received. The gift is the way that God equips us to be able to share what He has given us.

• 4 weeks later...

Grace and gifts are both unearned favor given by God.  The chief characteristic of a generous person is giving freely.  Spiritual gifts originate with God; God works within us to demonstrate the gifts He gives us through our lives; God is both the author and the perfecter.  As we share our gifts in service to others, the body of Christ is built up, and everyone is blessed by the Spirit of God until we reach unity and become mature.