JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q35. Ethics and Grace

• 5 months later...

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace? What is so radical about Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies? What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?

I am not sure if there is a difference between ethical behavior and grace.  If we really are ethical in  our behavior wouldn't we automatically behave with grace towards others who have wronged us in some way.

Ethical behavior is what we do for  ourselves.  We do it because it's who we are.  Grace is for others, what we do for them I think.

However we have this sin nature in us that causes us to resent, hate, want revenge etc.  So we react in unethical ways.  It's almost as if God gives us permission not to react in those ways since it is our natural bent to feel these things and we then go to the Bible for instruction on the ethical way to react, behave. I know for me  I don't want to disappoint God. I want to please Him as I am sure most all who love God want to.  I also know I have felt all these  ungodly behaviors at one time or another, more often that I like.  It is a natural reaction. Someday it will be gone this natural reaction while we are here, when we go home to glory.  It's easy to love those who love you and do good to you and not so easy to love those who misuse you or maltreat you, hurt you.

There needs to be consequences for ungodly behavior and let it not be in me.  I suffer the consequences for the things done to me and I go to God for encouragement, love, support or correction for my own thoughts or areas of weakness in me.

Because of our sin nature I wonder what kind of a God I worship whose ways are diametrically opposed to my natural way of thinking.

Who among the gods is like you O, Lord, Awesome in glory, majestic in holiness, working wonders. Exodus 15:11 

Who teaches us how to live in righteous ways, who encourages us, shows so much patience to us.

He is an amazing God.  There is none like Him.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Edited by Jen
Wrong verse

• What is the difference between ethical behaviour and grace?

Ethical behaviour is defined through a set of cultural and societal values. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "ethical" as "conforming to accepted standards of conduct".  The issues with that is that the behaviour is based on the ACCEPTED standards.  These standards are defined by man and can be changed over time.  Ethical behaviour 150 years ago may not be defined the same way today.  Grace, on the other hand, is not defined by man but by God and is a free gift of favour regardless the current cultures and standards.

• What is so radical about Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies?

The "Lex talionis" (Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this as "the law of retribution in kind" or the treatment of punishment equalling the crime which was the common practice in a compassionate culture.  It prevented the misuse of power in exacting punishment for the guilty but also defined stiff punishments for offenders when they were convicted.  Books in the Torah further define how one should treat another (Leviticus 24:19-21 etc.) if a perceived or real injury was done to someone.  The norm of the time is to repay bad behaviour with an equally consequential behaviour.

Jesus tosses both of these practices out the window here.  Regardless what others do to you, we are to treat them lovingly and show them grace as we have been shown grace.  Further, the focus is on the heavenly realm and how it operates.  We receive rewards in heaven when we love others and treat them well, regardless, expecting no reciprocation.  We are disturbing the environment here, on Earth when we do this.  Potentially, when we touch someone in this fashion it touches their hearts and brings them to God (ultimately).  We are influencing how things are done here on Earth when we do loving and gracious things here on earth to both good and bad people.

• What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?

Jesus cites, giving the other cheek when slapped/injured.  When someone wants to steal your cloak give him your shirt as well.  This struck me in reading this, that Jesus, himself proved this true.  When he was arrested, he was beaten so badly that he didn't even look human.  When he was on the Cross, his clothes were being taken by the soldiers.

In his scriptures in Luke 6, he further says, 30) "Give to every man that asketh of thee;  and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again."  Jesus is promoting  that we lead with our hearts rather than with the logic and will of our minds.  Those actions from the heart, not only make us Sons of God, but in the Bema seat judgment, it will not be burned away but remain as something valuable we have done to glorify Him.

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21)

What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace?

What is so radical about Jesus’ teaching about loving one’s enemies?

What illustrations does He use of this outrageous grace?

In plain English one can say that ethical behaviour is moral or good behaviour.  Almost like saying the normal expected good behaviour. Whereas GRACE is unmerited favour shown to someone or received. Something good that is not deserved.  Doing something good for someone that is out of the ordinary and not deserved by that person is grace.

Radical grace towards your worst enemies would be reacting to them in a way they did not deserve.  Reacting towards them in such a way which their behaviour did not warrant.  It stands out in contrast to what is expected.  

One of the illustrations is that if the enemy strikes you on the cheek to offer him the other cheek also.  Don't strike back at your enemy. Don't give him a taste of his own medicine but rather let God handle the deeper part of the situation in His way and in His time.  Pray for your enemy. Show favour to your enemy.  Do good to him.

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace? What is so radical about Jesus’ teaching about loving one’s enemies? What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?        

Ethical behavior is based upon a set of rules that dictates the appropriate behavior. 
Grace is God’s unmerited favor. Unearned and undeserved.

That teaching was previously unheard of and was counter intuitive to how one would treat an enemy.

”If your enemy is hungry, feed him;              
mid he is thirsty, give him something to drink.                                                                    
In doing this, you will heap burning.                   
coals on his head.”                

Ethical behavior says do this certain thing because it is expected of you, whether in “normal” society, or in your church.  Chair the committee, drive the carpool an extra week, lead the bible study, host the post-service refreshments.  Conversely, grace fills us with the spirit, with the charity to respond to someone that did us wrong (in word or action), in a way that comes from Love, not reciprocity or vengeance.

You’re waiting for that last open parking spot at the grocery store, the car begins to pull out and then the passenger leaves the empty cart in the open spot.  You begin to roll down your window, and your hand perches above the horn (behavior of the flesh).  Then you stop, grace floods over you, and instead, you get out of YOUR CAR and move the cart, not only away from the open spot, but back to the cart return.  Congratulations, you just passed a grace test!  Begin looking for more opportunities because they abound.

Jesus does not want us to respond with “an eye for an eye” retaliation.  Jesus teaches us to not respond in kind, but rather do something positive for the person (or in the situation) that comes from love and is in you already because of God’s grace.  Do not use evil to fight evil but use good to overcome evil.  As He states, feed him if he is hungry, give him something to drink if he is thirsty.  Any revenge that may be necessary will come from God, at the right time and in the right situation.

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace? What is so radical about Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies? What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?

Ethical behavior is what is the proper, moral or right thing to do in any situation. While grace is unmerited and undeserving favor to those who do not deserve it all. Those who deserve to be punished because of how they treated us.

Jesus' teaching about loving your enemies is radical because He tell us to love our enemies and do good to them when they hurt us. Do good to them when they treat us badly or gossip about us. He tells us to lend to them when they need help and not ask for it back.

He gives the example if someone strikes you on the cheek you are to let him hit your other cheek also.

If he takes your cloak, you are to give him your tunic.

Another example is in Matthew 5: 41 where Jesus says whoever compels you to go with him a mile to go, with him two miles instead.

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) 
What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace? What is so radical about Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies? What illustrations does He use of this outrageous grace?
Ethical behaviour is treating others in a proper, just, or moral way. Grace is treating people, who don’t deserve this treatment, in the same way. It is where we repay evil with good. Jesus’ teachings about our behaviour towards our enemies is considered radical in that it is not our natural reaction. To love those who despise you, to do good to those who hate you, to bless those who curse you, to pray for those who are nasty to you, all requires supernatural powers. We love our enemies in that by our actions we may bring some to salvation. Also, it is difficult to hate someone we are praying for. On the cross Jesus Himself forgave those that committed the greatest crime in all of human history. Loving our enemies also demonstrates that we are His children (John 1:12), and we seek to be imitators of our Heavenly Father. We treat others with the same kindness and consideration we would like to receive. 

I’m not so sure ethics and grace are opposed, but rather grace takes ethics to a higher level. It’s one thing to not steal … still another to give away what I need for myself, to be super-generous. Still, some ethical pronouncements, such as “honor your mother and father” must be grace-filled to be truly done. Performing the bare minimum is not honoring nor is it grace. Grace, then, is ethics “on steroids;” ethics that, frankly, hurts. The possibility of acting with grace requires God’s intervention within me.

Jesus’ teachings about loving my enemies, of course, strikes deeply within me. The war-mongers who are hyping the Russo-Western war  taking place in the Ukraine,  directly causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of fellow human beings, are surely despicable people. It’s difficult to think loving thoughts about them let alone love them in person. Yet, the teaching of grace makes such a love my obligation. I must love the despicable. The murderers. The warmongers. The people in and of power.

I cannot do this without the strong and constant assistance of the Spirit. It is the Spirit that makes grace possible, not my determination to act with grace, to be “graceful.”

The difference between ethical bahviour & grace:

• ethical behaviour doesn't do that we don't want others to do to/for us
  • grace does do what we want others to do to/for us

Rolling this teaching onto how we should  'love our enemies' is very radical - our enemies hate us & they only want the worst for us ... Jesus taught we should do good to our enemies & want the best for them - even as we would for ourselves

Jesus illustrated it thus:

• turn the other cheek
  • if they take your cloak give them your tunic
  • go the extra mile!

Creative Resistance

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace?

Ethical behavior is when we reciprocate by doing good to people who do good and retaliate when some does something bad to us. A behavior is gracious when do we do good to even those who deliberately hurt you.

What is so radical about Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies? What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?

Jesus demonstrated radicalism by teaching that unlike what happens in the world when people pay evil with evil, a Christian should pay evil with good deeds.  

Ethical behaviour is doing good to mostly people that you know and believe in the same values and principles that you believe in. When you go out of your way to assist a person that you know will assist you should you find yourself in trouble at some point in time. Whereas grace is when you do good to people that will not show up when you least need them be it your enemies or strangers. Grace is what God shows and gives us as we are always undeserving of all the opportunities that He presents to us.

Jesus' teaching about radical grace is that we should love our enemies just like God loved us. When we were yet sinners, we presented ourselves as enemies of God as we did not want to walk according to His precepts but God showed us His grace and  loved us all the more, blessed us and prayed that we may see the Light. Jesus Christ teaches us not to pay evil wilt evil but continue to embrace our enemies, loving them, blessing them, pray them and do good.  

Q35. (Luke 6:27-36; Romans 12:12-21) What is the difference between ethical behavior and grace? What is so radical about Jesus’ teaching about loving one’s enemies? What illustrations does he use of this outrageous grace?

1. Ethical behavior is to show feel, or give in response or return to someone who will do the same to us. Grace is giving when someone do not deserve it, but loving them anyway.

2. We should not pay evil for evil or retaliate when things go wrong. We should express loving kindness.

3. The illustrations are: turn your cheek, if they take your cloak, give them your tunic, express love about everything that not worthy.

The difference between ethical behavior and grace: ethical grace is one good deed deserves another, grace is treating others to do things to those who do not deserve it as in example praying for your enemies.

Radical grace is loving and praying for those who hate you, that despise you, those that curse you.

Illustrations of Jesus outrageous grace are feed the poor, visit those in prison, give drink to the thirsty.      

Ethical behaviour is the way we treat each other in a just, respectful and lawful way. Grace goes way beyond the expectations of ethical behaviour. It is treating people in a way that is unexpected and undeserved, especially if we are dealing with someone who is opposed to us in some way. People tend to meet opposition with a negative reaction but as a Christian we must use the opportunity to react in a graceful way. We have Jesus as our example to follow. He always dealt with people in a gentle and respectful and loving way, no matter who they were. We are told in Romans chap 12 that we can overcome evil with good. Jesus has told us in Luke that if we show mercy and grace we will be doing the same as the Father, because He is always merciful and we want to reflect His value system. 

Ethical behavior is doing what is the proper, just, or moral thing to do in a situation while grace is to show love towards enemies, those who least deserve goodwill. Jesus teaches radical grace toward undeserving enemies (Luke 6:27-28). For example Jesus teaches that we love our enemies, do good to those who hate us, bless those  who curse us, pray for those who mistreat us, to give to everyone who asks us, and if anyone takes what belongs to us we should not demand it back, and that we do to others as would have them do to us

• 3 months later...

Ethical behaver is returning evil for evil. Grace is returning something good for evil. Jesus’ radical teaching is that we would never return evil for evil. We think we have to get even with the person that hurt us. But Jesus tells us to love them. One of the illustrations that Jesus uses to point out this teaching is when someone take your cloak you should also give him your tunic.

• 3 weeks later...

Ethical behavior is 'good' behavior; it changes according to the ethics of the person involved.  Grace is undeserved favor.  Jesus' teaching about loving one's enemies is radical because that is unheard of.  An enemy is flabbergasted if they are shown care.  The outrageous illustrations of outrageous grace Jesus gives are giving food or water to an enemy, giving to an enemy without expecting anything in return, [I find giving to a non-Believer  is what really freaks them out], doing GOOD to those who hate you and BLESSing them...and Romans 12:21, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." [Easier read than done.]

• 4 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:06 AM, Krissi said:

I’m not so sure ethics and grace are opposed, but rather grace takes ethics to a higher level. It’s one thing to not steal … still another to give away what I need for myself, to be super-generous. Still, some ethical pronouncements, such as “honor your mother and father” must be grace-filled to be truly done. Performing the bare minimum is not honoring nor is it grace. Grace, then, is ethics “on steroids;” ethics that, frankly, hurts. The possibility of acting with grace requires God’s intervention within me.

Jesus’ teachings about loving my enemies, of course, strikes deeply within me. The war-mongers who are hyping the Russo-Western war  taking place in the Ukraine,  directly causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of fellow human beings, are surely despicable people. It’s difficult to think loving thoughts about them let alone love them in person. Yet, the teaching of grace makes such a love my obligation. I must love the despicable. The murderers. The warmongers. The people in and of power.

I cannot do this without the strong and constant assistance of the Spirit. It is the Spirit that makes grace possible, not my determination to act with grace, to be “graceful.”

Unbelievably wisely written....... thank you, I have shared this with a lot of family and friends.