JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Just as DNA of a living organism is dead by itself, faith by itself is dead if it is not accompanied by action. Theory is always easy and easy to preach too. But to put it into practice needs the guts of a strong believer. Unless we are absolutely convinced about our faith, we can never put it into action. The Holy Spirit drives the faith into action. The works of the Spirit as envisaged in Gal 5:22 speak aloud. Even the devils have faith and believe in God and His powers. But that doesn't separate us from them. We have to do the works of the Spirit aided by faith. That is what separates us from the devils. That way our faith can become alive when put into action.

2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

Faith is a way of life for us. . . As we live in our faith our works should overflow from the abundance of inner growth in our Lord...

In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

In the sense that we allow the Holy Spirit to have his way. . . to become our hands and feet.

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Here is one Biblical dictionary's definition of faith:

Saving faith is a moral act, as it proceeds from a renewed will, and a renewed will is necessary to believing assent to the truth of God (1

Faith has no spark, no expression and no connection to the world and the church if it is unaccompanie by action? It is impossible to have and maintain a living relationship with God and believe his laws and obey his commands without moving into action. You cannot show love to another human being without taking action. Therefore, your faith is dead.

Faith is not only alive as the spark that moves us into action and into a continual desire to have a close relationship with God, but also it expands us, expands our experiences. Faith is alive since it directs us to move out beyond our current boundaries an dtrust in God when we are taking action. Faith continues to do this on an ongoing basis, therefore it's alive. :rolleyes:

Like the bible says if we see someone that is hungry and just tell them God bless you, what's that going to do for them? We are the light of the world through Jesus and it's through our actions that they see that. So then it is alive by our actions. That doesn't mean that you can be saved by doing good things because if that were true then Jesus wouldn't have had to go through all of the pain and suffering that He did but once we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour then we need to, have to, show the world His love.

Faith without deeds is not true faith. Jesus showed his faith by his love for all people and his generosity in giving where there was lack. If we have true faith, our hearts will dictate our giving, and we cannot sit by and do nothing. It is within us---we have no control over it. If we see a lack or wrong being done to someone and turn away, we are in essence turning away from Christ.

Our behavior reflects our beliefs. We can say "I love you" but if we don't follow it up with actions, no one will believe us and we will be deceiving ourselves. Sometimes faith requires no outward action on our part but inward prayer and belief that God will or is doing something. For example, there are some in my family that will not listen to me regarding the word of God. I can only pray that God will open their hearts and work in their spirits to open them up so they may be led to salvation. Perhaps God will even use someone else to do this. I can only quietly wait in hope and pray that this will happen.

My grandson told me he thought he should do bad to someone before they had a chance to do bad to him! I knew he had been raised by his parents in church, and they attempted to teach him God laws. I asked him, "Izaak, are you a christian?"

He looked at me like I was crazy. "Sure," he replied.

"How do you know?" I asked him.

Miffed, he said, "Okay, I'm not." I tried to show him that just going to church and saying you believe in the Lord does not make you a Christian--at least not a live one! :unsure:

Many people say they believe there is a god, but it makes no difference in their lives. When we just ascribe to the belief that God exists, and say we have faith in Him, if it does not issue into Christian action, how do we--or anyone else--know that we are Christian? :o

If we truly believe that Jesus is Lord, then we must do as He commands, and if we do, we will be doing His work that He leads us to do. If we do not do His commands, we may look alive, but we are really dead in our faith. If we live just as those who do not profess Jesus as Lord, how can the world see that there is any difference between a Christian and a worldly person? :huh:

Some people who accept Jesus, then compartmentalize their lives: this part is for God, and this is for my business or home life. And never the twain shall meet. Maybe you could say they are alive in Him while sitting in church. A poor substitute for the joy of living wholeheartedly for Him in all our life!

Faith is an expression of our dependency on God. It is with faith that we became saved. With this empowerment we need to show others what we have. One way of doing this is by our works. Many people may never read the Bible but they see God in us through our actions and good deeds.

I agree that our faith is not faith unless it is lived out and this is "normally" by our physical actions and should be visible to others. Faith that lives only in the intellect, is not really faith. However, I also believe that there are times when faith is being lived out without VISIBLE/PHYSICAL signs. For instance, as someone mentioned, praying for a situation that you have been unable to affect. There have been instances in my life when God has allowed me to discern a spiritual conflict, but then told me to "Wait", that much prayer was needed first and I wasn't supposed to respond (physically) to the situation yet. Being the type of "mothering" person that always needed to be in control and "fix" the problem, this required HUGE HUGE amounts of faith on my part to "wait". I believe there are also other instances when God is dealing with someones heart and change is occurring inside, but no visible sign is seen - YET. Eventually, faith will produce action, but lack of physical "action" does not always mean lack of faith.

Faith puts us in a right relationship with God and through that relationship we are obedient to Him. Faith and obedience will result in action prompted by the Spirit producing fruit. If there is no action the faith is not alive. However I would have to agree that if all we can do is pray, that prayer is also an action: Pray without ceasing/The fervant prayer of a righteous man avails much.

[SIZE=7] I could say all day I love you, but If I do not put into action it would be dead. I work at my church helping people with thier needs, if they came to us and I told them I love you and did not help them and told them to go and we love you and did meet the need my faith would be dead ;)[/size]

Faith is dead if not followed by action .Even in the process of creation , God himself saw the darkness that enveloped the earth. He took action by decreeing that there be light. In Deut 2:31, God says " I have begun to give begin to possess". We must back our faith with action.We can make our faith alive by "hope' An athlete's hope for victory makes him stick to a gruelling exercise regimen.

1. Faith is dead if unaccompanied by action because it is just mere intellectual belief in theology; there is no evidence of a personal relationship

with God. (E.G. we are His workmanship)

2.It might be alive in the sense that one's personal faith in the work of the cross , is evidenced in our daily lives as we reach out to others and fullfill

the great commission.

Faith is always followed by action--if it is really faith! Faith demands action--because faith is active--not passive.

A passive faith is dead because it stagnates, doesn't grow-- if we truly believe what Jesus said, then we must act on it!! "Love your neighbor as yourself---do unto others as you would have them do to you"--action!!

How can a passive faith be alive? It is dormant-- so, it may be possible that if it is watered it might sprout!!

Faith is dead if it is unaccompanied by action.

There are four people that I have put my faith in.

1. My wife, she has proven herself to me time and time again. She has tolerated me for the past 48 years. I believe that is because she loves me beyond measure. When I'm ill, she takes care of me and when I'm down, she is there to ecourage me.

2. My Dr. He has done me well. He treats me as a person by taking time to talk. He seem to intrested in my health and not my money.

3. My mechanic. He treats me with respect. He knows I can't solve the problem with my auto and of course he knows I can't afford to get into expenive repairs. Throught this, he makes suggest ways I can save money and many times, he will (at his expense) make the repairs. It seems he cares for my safety and well being. By the way, he treats my wife the same way.

I have faith in these first three because they seem to care and they do take care of me.

But formost, I have faith in Jesus the Christ.

4. My Saviour. Jesus gave His all for me. He made it possible for me to have the power over sin and temptation. I no longer have to worry about spending an eternity in hell. He said if I would see myself as a sinner and ask Him to forgive me, He would do exactely that.

Because of the way I have been taken care of and watched over, I can by faith tell others about the first three that they will be treated with honor and respect.

Because of the way God loves me and has shown me the way to go, I can by faith tell others of His wonderful love and care. How this Great God can set them free from any and all sin that makes them feel so misearable.

Faith in Christ makes my faith alive. I not only talk about the wonderful things He has done for me, but I share my faith because I have love for this Great Saviour.

If faith is unaccompanied by action we are not showing what we believe. There are many instances in which we are the only way someone who does not believe sees Jesus. If we are not acting as though Jesus is truly living inside us, we have missed the opportunity to share His love and example.

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

Anything not worked or cared for will die. Anything left unattended or unkempt will eventually die out. We must work our faith. I love how Dr. Wilson put it .. Faith comes FROM God .. lives FOR God .. and is energized (kept alive) BY God Himself.

In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

It is alive every time we put action to our belief. We are saved by faith. There are many people that believe but take no steps to get saved. I believed about Jesus all my life .. but did not get saved until I was 38. Getting saved was me putting into action.

1a.) (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

1a.) There is a saying: "Talk is cheap!" Jesus tells us: You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." (Matthew 5:14,15) Be that light. That says it all for me. It is nice to read the exposition of this passage, brought a lot to light for me on what James is really pointing out here. Thanks Pastor Ralph.