JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q8. Seal and Downpayment

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the reference to 'end of term' is when the Kingdom of God is once more established here on Earth, after Jesus Second Coming. The analogies of the seal and downpayment help explain the workings of the Holy Spirit in our lives by:

the seal is bestowed on each believer at the moment of salvation, it distinguishes to all that you are now an adopted member of God's family.

the downpayment is just as a downpayment in any transaction, provided the transaction is completed (in this case that one remains true and faithful to God, and doesn't turn back to Satan), when God's Kingdom is once more on this earth, we will be welcomed in, fully entitled to share in the glories of the kingdom just as Jesus does.

Q4. (1:13-14) These verses contain two analogies: (1) seal and (2) downpayment, with the balance to be paid in a lump sum at the end of the term. When does the "end of the term" occur? How do these analogies help explain how the Holy Spirit functions in our lives?

I think possibly the end of the term is finalised and celebrated at the Wedding Feast of the Lamb. There will be stages before that, like the rapture, but the feast is the finality and the beginning of "The Family"

When we receive Jesus we are marked out by His Spirit. We can never be the same again because we have known Him, connected with Heaven, been touched by His grace, are known to Him. In response to being known by Jesus, we are sealed by the Holy Spirit whom He sent at Pentecost. Perhaps this is the reason why both God and Jesus can be mistreated by us and we can be forgiven, but we cannot abuse the Holy Spirit, our "guarantee", lest we lose Him, and with Him our salvation. Luke 12:10 declares "Anyone who speaks blasphemies against the HolySpirit will never be forgiven." To blaspheme the Spirit of Truth, whom God has breathed into us a second time (Adam, by believing a lie, choked Him - the breath of the Creator - out and lost his "Life") at Pentecost, is to finalise our chances with God. To turn again and believe a lie, having had the mark of the HolySpirit, is to become too hardened. The blasphemy of the Spirit of Truth, who lives in us and is our breath of Life, will choke Him out again.

We are to honour the Spirit of Truth within us (who has the mind of Christ,) as teacher, counsellor and friend, and finally we will join the ranks of the children of God at the wedding feast.

When I heard the Word of truth, believed in that Word made flesh, and confessed Him as my Savior, the Holy Spirit arrived into my heart. In that instant, my soul was purchased out of the bondage of sin and its resulting death penalty. The Spirit is the seal that legalized this transaction, this exchange of my sin for Christ's pardon. My spirit has been redeemed through Christ, but my flesh and earthly body were not saved and I still reside in this sinful world where the devil is presently allowed to rule. An unimaginable inheritance has been promised that I cannot yet completely receive as long I am here. The final balance due has already been paid in full by Christ's blood, but is in "escrow" until my spirit is released from my physical housing in this world.

So much of the reward of full redemption is spiritual gain, and I can only receive tiny nibbles of it as long as I'm confined here. Perhaps the "end of the term" when the lump sum balance is released may be at my physical death, when my spirit goes to be united with Christ in heaven, or at His calling of the Church out of this world, when I will be instantly transformed and caught up with Christ in the air. Whichever way the LORD chooses, then I'll receive the full benefit of redemption, the full inheritance promised me as a joint heir with Christ. I will be freed of sin and from sin to be perfected in holiness. I will be released from the confines and inabilities and imperfections of the natural realm to dwell in the infinities of eternity. I will fully obtain the divine inheritance that securely awaits me right now. I'll be received into the Father's arms and welcomed into His house as His beloved daughter. Nothing can alter this binding agreement because nothing/no one can break the seal of the Holy Spirit except Yahweh, God Himself - and He will never violate His covenant "contract".

My adoption has been legalized and finalized, but not yet fully realized. The Holy Spirit is an awesome gift and presence in my life, but according to Romans 8:23, He is only the firstfruits of my inheritance - a foretaste of glory divine! The Spirit brings into my natural life whatever degree of the divine that can be humanly contained as I progressively die to more of myself to make room for more of Him. He provides little glimpses of my Father in the Word and tastes of my future through His activity in my daily experiences. Even when trials come and things seem impossible, my life is blessed with spiritual peace, joy, insight, power, victory…the list could go on and on. All of that is out of this deposit of the Spirit given by Christ to guarantee His claim on me and to give assurance to me that I truly am His - and will be for all eternity.

I've never adopted a child, but I know someone who has. Before ever even meeting that little one, this friend's heart was overflowing with love and the driving desire to hold that child as her own. Every legal requirement had to be met and completed before she could "take full possession" of her child. My Father has provided for me, chosen me, and fully secured me as His own. I'm already in His possession, but not yet in His presence. He can hardly wait to welcome me into His arms and endow me with my full inheritance when my journey here has been completed. Even though I don't reside there yet, I am a child of heaven, not a child of this world. The presence of the Spirit in me is my guarantee. How humbling, but my goodness, how empowering!

:) As I was reading the different views I thought how each persons mind works. I kept thinking on this question, as the thoughts were going through my head. I remembered when I bought my car. I had to make a down payment and sign a contract. this sealed the deal with me and the lender. The car was in my possession In a sense I owned it

When Jesus went to the cross He made the down payment on me with His blood. Then the Holy Spirit sealed it. I have been marked by that seal into Christ, which gives me an open door to a glimpse of God and Heaven, In this I have a fortaste of what is to come. The Holy Spirit is the deposit quaranteeing my inheritance until the redemption of God's possession. I am His property sealed and delivered by the Holy Spirit. Nothing can change that.

The end of the term comes when Jesus has fulfilled the plan of redemption and Hands us over to the Father where He and Jesus will rule together. WE ARE THE POSSESSION TO THE PRAISE AND GLORY OF GOD ALMIGHTY EPHESIANS 1: 13-14. What a glorious day that will be, Hallelujah!

:) As I was reading the different views I thought how each persons thoughts work. I kept thinking on this question, as the thoughts were going through my head. I remembered when I bought my car. I had to make a down payment and sign a contract. this sealed the deal with me and the lender. The car was in my possession In a sense I owned it.The contract was like a guarante. It made me the valid owner.

When Jesus went to the cross He made the down payment on me with His blood. Then the Holy Spirit sealed it. I have been marked by that seal into Christ, which gives me an open door to a glimpse of God and Heaven, In this I have a fortaste of what is to come. The Holy Spirit is the deposit quaranteeing my inheritance until the redemption of God's possession. I am His property sealed and delivered by the Holy Spirit. Nothing can change that.

The end of the term comes when Jesus has fulfilled the plan of redemption and Hands us over to the Father where He and Jesus will rule together. WE ARE THE POSSESSION TO THE PRAISE AND GLORY OF GOD ALMIGHTY EPHESIANS 1: 13-14. What a glorious day that will be, Hallelujah!

Q4. (1:13-14) These verses contain two analogies: (1) seal and (2) down payment, with the balance to be paid in a lump sum at the end of the term. When does the "end of the term" occur?

When we believed in Christ, He identified us as His own. The end of the term is un-ending for in Christ, we have eternity. When we become one with Christ, we become eternal souls, destined for the eternal life.

How do these analogies help explain how the Holy Spirit functions in our lives?

The Holy Spirit guarantees that we belong to Him and that He will do exactly as He promised. The Holy Spirit is the validating signature of Jesus Christ in our lives. We signed a contract with Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit is His deposit on the contract. Our life given unto Him, is our gift as our down payment.

The rest of our lives is our annual payment towards His saving grace. It is through the power of His signature that we have instilled in us that helps us keep our name signed on the dotted line, so to speak. Amazing as it sounds, what we experience now is only a foretaste of the total change we will experience in eternity.

Called, chosen, forgiven, redeemed, adopted, sealed with the Holy Spirit. These are all action words on His part as His gift to us. What we do with His gift, is our gift to Him. Blessed be the name of The Lord!

Question #1

"The end of Term" occurs when Christ returns to rapture the Church and we are carried away to be with the Father (in Heaven). Those carried away will be those that are marked with God's seal that we received when we got saved. God promised the Holy Spirit and we received it. Glory to the Lamb of God.

Question #2

The Holy Spirit works in and through us to help carry out God's (predestined) Plans. We are used as instruments (tools if you will) of God with the use of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit comforts us, strengthens us and holds us up during our trials and tribulations. We communicate with God through the Holy Spirit, through prayer/intercession. God reveals himself to us through the Holy Spirit. God shows us things through the Holy Spirit. We receive glimpses of God's glory through the Holy Spirit. I thank God for the Holy Spirit.

I love this Bible Study.....Amen!

Greetings!

I was sealed with the Holy Spirit showing that I was His. He is at work in me, and leading me each day.

He is the earnest--the promise of more to come at the end of the ages when Christ comes to take His own & claim the earth back to Himself and to His Father. The Holy Spirit's function is to draw us to God, help us to remember His Word and lead us according to God' Word. Praise Him!

God's plan for our salvation is continued by the sealing work of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit's work within us guarantees our identity as God's adopted child. This is all made possible by Jesus Christ and his saving work on ourbehalf and it becomes a reality in our life when we place our faith in him.

Q4. (1:13-14) These verses contain two analogies: (1) seal and (2) downpayment, with the balance to be paid in a lump sum at the end of the term. When does the "end of the term" occur? How do these analogies help explain how the Holy Spirit functions in our lives?

When something is sealed or a seal placed upon it, then no decay can come to that particular thing. This seal tell me when accepting Christ as our Saviour we are sealed from sin and set free to be all that He wants us to be. To live a joyous, adventerous life for His glory.

The end term I believe is just that the end of what was started. However, even though we are sealed, isn't it correct that during the tribulation if someone takes the mark of the beast 666 that they too will be cast into the lake of fire? Let me know. Thanks

"For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trum(pet) of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thes 4:16-17. The end of the term, when our labor in the Lord comes to fruition, the Rapture.

The Holy Ghost is our seal, our downpayment that keeps us as His own and gives us the ability to pay our debt by our testimony, by our witness, by our works, by our praise, by our worship, by our Christlikeness, until the Lord comes to get the balance due and we shall reign with Him as priests forever more. Amen.

We are sealed by his Holy spirit and He is our downpayment for a future with Christ through eternity but He is also our inheritance even now as Christ is our inheritance.

The "end of the term" will be when Jesus returns to claim those that have endured to the end.

The Holy Spirit within us assures us we abide in Jesus and he abides in us, it is the daily power to keep us sealed and teach us how we ought to live to stay sealed until the rapture

I'm not sure when the end of term is. Could it be our physical death when we will meet Jesus. Is it the rapture of the church.

The Holy spirit guides us. He is God's guarantee that we belong to him. The Holy Spirit is like a downpayment - a validating signature on the contract.

The moment I beleived the Lord Jesus Christ to be my Savior - He came in the Form of the Holy Spirirt and therefore I am sealed in Him . I am able to enjoy God's power and presence now -when Jesus comes again it will be fully revealed -

(I would like to think about it more, but I am very tired now and if I do not answer the questions daily I find it difficult to stay on track)

I agree with 'Warrior' that the 'end of term' occurs when Jesus returns.

I like the idea of being sealed by the Holy Spirit and delivered at the "end of the term".

My name signed in the book of life. Sealed by the Holy Spirit. Delivered at the day of redemption. A package deal.

For me the Holy Spirit's sealing made me aware of His presence so that I knew I belonged to God. This sense of belonging remains after 33 years. Later I came to understand and appreciate being marked as God's property. It's nice to belong to someone and get to know them before you meet them, if that makes sense, and to know this is one relationship that only gets better with time.

'Downpayment' gives me a sense of value. It's interesting that the Holy Spirit is referred to as Spiritual Currency of sorts. Divine Coinage put down as a guarantee on future delivery. Him in me, very cool. The value of my spiritual stock went from less than nothing to unimaginable at the moment of repentance. Can't imagine what the lump sum payoff will be like.

I think Paul was probably a good businessman as well as fine apostle.

Q4. (1:13-14) These verses contain two analogies: (1) seal and (2) downpayment, with the balance to be paid in a lump sum at the end of the term. When does the "end of the term" occur?

The "End of the term" is "to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment--to bring all things in heaven and earth together under one head, even Christ."

How do these analogies help explain how the Holy Spirit functions in our lives?

Having become a believer after hearing the word of truth, the gospel of salvation, we were marked with a seal, a promise, a stamp of approval, the promise of the Holy Spirit which guarantees our inheritance. We have been blessed with being holy and blameless. With full inheritance rights, we live for God's glory. We are blessed with redemption, the payment which bought us from the slavery and bondage of sin.

The Holy Spirit works in us and through us that we might truly be people of God. He is the voice inside our hearts, the peace that exists when we are doing right and the unsettled feeling when we are not. The Spirit will guide us until Jesus comes back to claim us and take us home. Then the seal is broken and the balance paid when we join with Jesus and see Him face to face.

I agree with others that the "end of time" is when Jesus returns to set His Kingdom on Earth.

Jesus' blood on the cross was the downpayment but in the end we will be achieved fully [see Eph.4.30,

Rom.8.23, Luke 21.28] God will then take completely from alien hands that which is His own [ whom are sealed]

The Holy Spirit is the Christians seal, the experience of the Holy Spirit in our lives is the final proof of the genuineness of what we have beleived and provides the inward assurance of that we belong to God. The undeniable mark of Gods work in and for us.

Through Jesus Christ the end of the term will accur,as his power(Holy Spirit)works in us to transform us "now",and what we experience "now" is a taste of the "total" change we will experience in eternity.

~The Holy Spirit,(in us),transforms us with His power,so we can function in the genuineness of our faith in God,which guarantees us that God will do what He has promised;as God calls us to be sons and daughters,(Jew or Gentile),working to bring in the harvest(lost souls).We go out into the shopping malls,grocery stores,doctors office ,hospitals,where-ever we go, we spread the word of Jesus Christ.

The "end term" is at Christ's second coming when He comes for His redeemed. The Holy Spirit is a "Spirit of promise" that will guide us. It also shows that we are "sealed" owned by God, "were sealed for the day of redemption" (Eph. 4:30). God is with us through trials of our life until the end. Finally, the Holy Spirit is a guarantee, a first installment if you will, it secures a legal claim on us. Through belief God not only promises final victory, but GUARANTEES IT! AMEN!!!!

The downpayment is a deposit showing both the intention and ability to pay for something in full. The seller receives this and keeps it until what is purchased is paid for. The Holy Spirit Himself being our downpayment-why, this is more than I can begin to understand. He assures that on the day of redemption, the buyer will retain possession. The Holy Spirit works in my life in the meantime to guide me to holiness, to be in the best possible spiritual shape to be delivered to my purchaser.

I think