JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q10. Christian Inheritance

Q10. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I would bother much with the news that I would inherit such a vast sum. After all, only God knows what will happen in the future, if one were to waste too much time making plans etc, it would take away from the time available for you to make actual changes in the lives of others. If it should happen that I did indeed inherit such a vast sum, then I would likely follow the same course as in the past when I've inherited money, I use it to help improve the lives of others, not 'wasting' it as I'm often accused of doing, but certainly not hoarding it in the hopes of getting more and more. What use is earthly wealth when one is called Home? Far better that money be used for the betterment of society.

Our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence should have the effect of making us less concerned about salting away money 'just in case'. The reality is that we in the western world are unlikely to find ourselves completely without resources. I do street ministry and I rarely see a case where someone has absolutely nothing, and on the rare occasion when I do, then I find that the street folk band together to help their own. I am constantly astounded at the level of generosity amongst those with the least, while those with adequate wealth are hesitant to share even their unwanted property.

There is nothing wrong with Christians being financially well off, the problems arise when they begin to turn their focus from God and place it instead on increasing their financial well being, caring more for adding to their wealth than in using it to assist in the care of others. Just as Christians who are wealthy are not at fault, neither are those Christians who have little; we have all been given gifts by God and the ability to work in different ways within the Body. Money should not become a god, money can and should be used for the benefit of all, without ambition for public recognition and acclaim.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

What a question! It requires deep honesty. I'm not sure I know the answer right now. I think I would want to work fairly hard so that I was up to handling the money when it came. It's a gift that someone else workded hard for, so it has to be treated with honour and respect. They say those who win lotteries usually end up spending it quickly and back where they started from. I'd need to be much wiser than that, I think it would give me confidence to work hard now at learning how to handle money, how to invest etc so that I'd have a long term benefit. I also think it would add value to my self-esteem, that someone thought so much of me that they had set this up. I'd walk taller and think better of myself, that someone valued me. Also I'd have some plans in mind about how it would be disposed of and used. There'd be gifts from me in certain areas, of a certain percentage, and I'd plan that well and look forward to that aspect immensely.

How would it temper present day concerns? I just think I'd have greater confidence because of the value placed in me, and would therefore handle my affairs better.

As for the Christian family, I think it draws us closer together, because we are all highly valued and all recipients of our Father's benefits, one no less than the others I walk tall in the family because God loves me every bit as much as he loves them. I honour them because God loves every one of them every bit as much as he loves me. I think it creates a mutual honouring (unity?)

It is very hard to know what I would do if I had an inheritance coming in a few years. Truthfully, I would wonder if I would even be alive to receive it! I guess I would start thinking about what I would do with it. It would be such a joy to be able to provide more missionary support and perhaps supporting more orphans.

My expectation of inheritance in God's presence should make my problems in this life seem alot smaller. I am tempted to focus on those problems & not keep looking up!

We should be sharing our lives with our Christian "forever" family. We should study together, pray together, weep together, celebrate together and support each other!

wow heres a question I struggle to answer. Honestly I would be fighting the temptaion to set up my children comfortably and pay off all our debts first. But I know, firstly, this inheritance should go towards different ministries and help those in greater need. As Helenm said most lottery winners end up actually worse off 2-3 years down the track because they have never had so much money and it goes to their heads.

Knowing the eternal treasures that I am storing in heaven far outweigh the earthly possessions I desire.

The Word says how God will provide for our every need so I trust Him for everthing.

Unfortunately most families have their squabbles, even church families, the good news is that we can come together and pray and have reconcilliation knowing we come together, as a body with Christ as the head, for the one common good of proclaiming the Gospel, encouraging and edifying each other. Praise the Lord!!

Guest Tabatha

:) When I came back to the Lord My second husband has passed on. I gave my heart back to Jesus. My pray was I don't ask for riches on this earth all I ask for is to have so much of Christ nothing else matters. Just meet my needs not my wants. So my answer to that question is The richest of His Glory of His inheritance in the saints. We should strive for unity in the body and learn to know what would Jesus do

Besides the heavenly inheritance prepared for the saints, there is a present inheritance in the saints. There is a glory to this inheritance it brings with it riches of His glory rendering the christian more excellant and more truly honourable than any money could ever bring.To know all about Christ is more desirable than any $10 million dollars to be acquainted with the pleasures of fellowship with the saints increases us in Christ. We need to endeavor to draw close to one another for protection against the onslaught of the enemy especially in these days we live in. Praying with one another fellowshipping with one another bonds the body. Longing for the greatness of God's power towards those who believe.

The possibility of inheriting such an amount of money is so far out of my realm of comprehension that I really can't imagine it, but I get the question. The spiritual inheritance that God has promised to me (us) should influence the way life is lived and what we set our hopes on. First, I have to truly believe God is telling the truth, and then I have to receive and accept that promise as my own. While fully living in the present, I've been called to maintain an expectant awareness of eternity that should influence my priorities. My present-day concerns, as difficult as any of them might be, are really nothing in the grand scheme of things. I am journeying through an imperfect world in an imperfect body with a host of other imperfect people on the way to join my Father and be united with my Bridegroom in the perfection of my true home in heaven. I'm reminded of the little phrase, "This, too, shall pass." Life on earth is not all there is. Eternity is much, much more (what an understatement!).

The LORD has promised this same inheritance to every other believer that has, does, and will exist. We have a common bond that should join us together with ties of love. When we become believers our spirit gets saved, but not our flesh; many annoying habits and mindsets remain that cause friction, hurts, and disagreements. But even if you don't really like someone, you can treat that person with love. As much as possible, you can be a peacemaker attempting to preserve unity. You can see others through the eyes of Christ as valued and treasured. And you can remember that your own flesh is still causing someone else problems, too! My main point here is that we all share equally in the promises of God's inheritance because we're all equally loved and redeemed, and we should value each other just as God values each of us. There's no place for pride or selfishness in our dealings with each other.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

Funny how God is right on time and never late! Just today I had a discussion somewhat related to money. I have lived with out most of my life and been happy with what I have. Money has never been a root of any contention for me so I know I wouldn

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

I would hope not at this late hour in my life I want to think it wouldn't but, only the real situation would bring the truth to light. I want to be like Paul happy in all circumstances not the artificual ones of this life but the true grace only a love for Christ brings.

It should make us more determined to reach the goal set for us by Christ living to love one another and serve God daily, or as Paul put strive for the mark of a higher calling.

Our fellowship with the saints is the one prepared for us by God and laid out in his plan for our life to seek to give Him all praise and glory. To become a part of the body of Christ the church making our lives symbols for other to follow giving them hope for eternal life with the saints in the presence of the Father.

Well I guess it would affect my life now in that I would anxiously be awaiting the day I get the inheritance, provided I lived to receive it.(the $10 million) The expectation of an inheritance in God's presenece temper my present day concerns in that I know it will come to past , not might come. My present day concern would be to live according to his instructions, so as never do anything that would cause me to walk away from my inheritance from him. God will not force us to serve him he gives all of us a free will to choice. How will other know that we are christians? When we have love for one another. Anyone can claim to be a Christian. We should show it through our action. We as christians much walk the talk. By doing this we are letting Christ be our example.

$10 mil, in a few years? I'm going to run down to the nearest bank and get a line of credit, and spend, spend, spend! I'd like to think that I'd give it all to my ministry but I fear that I am still very weak in the flesh and the flesh is terribly anxious to be pleased. Sad truth as I feel very short sighted when I do walk in the flesh.

On the other hand, to walk in the Spirit gives me pause to reflect on my motives and moves knowing that the Lord has my path planned out and that what I experience today is merely preparation for better things tomorrow. He allows me to meditate on my actions, knowing that each effects my relationship and future with Him.

Ours is a monastic life, though an inner city mission, each of us giving ourselves entirely to the Lord and His work. As such, we do everything together 27/7 and as each of us is at a different stage of growth, different ages, races and places of origin, we go through many changes together and oftentimes disagreements. We have learned that we need to bear one another's burdens, display compassion and patience and let the love of the Holy Spirit guide our lives. The conclusion being that if we can't get along down here, how are we going to get along for eternity?

Thank you very much for putting a question such as this -

I really did not think of life in Christ this way before. I guess whatever situation we are in -specially difficult ones - we must think it is temporary and we are going to be rich beyond our thinking/understanding someday with Christ.

How we should live together with those who will share this blessing with us one day?

I sometimes find it difficult to understand fellow beleivers attitudes ( though I feel guilty and repent when I think like this - and try to see the plank in my eye) It is difficult in an earthly manner

- but at a seminar recently Bill Crowder of RBC said "the more we grow closer to Christ - the clearer we will see our sins and not the faults of others"

Yes it would affect my life. Of course, any financial worries would disapper. I would be thinking no problem, I'm getting 10 million soon. Such as, we should continue to remind ourselves that we are indeed heirs to a greater inheritance through Jesus shed blood. I suppose we shouldn't sweat the small stuff. The culture leads us to worry about the most trivial things, cars, jewelry, right hair, right clothes, biggest t.v. Whatever! I'm continually reminded if I would just keep Jesus in the front, I would worry about all the other stuff that makes life messy. Noting that the inheritance will be overflowing and abundant, we can rejoice with our fellow believers that there is soooo much! How greatful we will be.

If I knew that I was going to inherit that much money I would have to plan what to do with it.

Sometimes we get caught up in the day to day activities of our lives. I need a quiet time when I can soak in the presence of God.

Our family of fellow Christians and our fellowship with them should be an important part of our lives. They are, after all our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Best regards,

John.

Wow......at first glance, one would imagine that the answer to this question would have something to do with money, but that is not the case for me. When you are aware of a large inheritance in your future, you would need to prepare yourself to accept that inheritance. It would place a responsibility upon yourself to do what was neccesary to make those preparations. This is what should happen to us as believers when we become aware of our inheritance in God. Speaking for myself, this is the reason why I work on my relationship with the Lord by reading the Bible, doing studies such as this one, ministry work, etc. My greatest concern in life is to deepen my relationship with the Lord. As for affecting our fellowship with our Christian family, those ties shopuld also deepen. Growing together with our family, sharing our lives...good and bad, our concerns and our prayers can only deepen those relationships and make them more productive.

Yes, I would be affected if I knew I was going to inherit $10 millon dollars. I would want to be planning what I would do with such an inheritance. I would certainly want to figure out ways to increase that amount. I would want to become debt free and to help others become debt free. I would want to help the poor and needy. I know that I would want to help build churches and the needs of the churches.

Regarding expectation of an inheritance in God's presence - present-day concerns: Being in God's presence gives such great peace. The peace now in knowing that one day I will be in Heaven with our Heavenly Father, Jesus and loved ones is an inheritance that only the Christian can look forward to. As Christians today, we need to help others and let others see what God is doing in us.

We should fellowship now on the earth with "the saints", our brothers and sisters in the Lord. We need to help them in their times of difficulty, sickness etc. We need to be so very close to our church family as well as our personal family.

My inheritance in Christ is worth more than $10 million and before I receive it or after it arrives I will continue on the journey of learning about my Father's expectations of me and to walk like Christ. Because after I receive the inheritance I must be prepared to live in my Father's Kingdom, something that this earthly world can't teach me, I must gain this knowledge through the Word and the Holy Spirit. So my demands will remain the same as before I received the $10 million until the day I reach my Father's Kingdom where so many other Christians will reside. It shall be a Family Reunion in my Father's house all the relatives will be there.

Q2a.) (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

Q2a.) It wouldn't change my status now. Many would begin spending it before they had it. However, with the promise of the LORD, I can live my life in abundance as has been promised to me through His grace and the adoption as sons in Jesus Christ.

Q2b.) How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

Q2b.) "..set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above not on earthly things." (Colossians 3:1,2)

Q2c.) Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

Q2c.) "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24, 25)

I have given this second question and third question a bit more thought and wanted to share it.

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

The world fears the power of the atom, yet we belong to the God of the universe who not only raised Jesus Christ from the dead, but created that atomic power. The Lord is our Shepard, whom shall we fear? We are children of light and our light has so much more creative energy than anything ever created because we are created in His image.

The very first thing that was ever created was light. Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light; and there was light. Light is spiritual empowerment. Light is something that makes vision possible. Light is illumination, a particular expression of the eye, which is a spiritual force.

Light is an energy, which is the flowing entity of God

Yes, it would affect my life now, if I knew that in a few years I would inherit $10 million. I would be happy. I would start thinking of what would I do with that money. I would make plans: how much money I would spend and save, what things I would buy: car, house, etc., how many each of it, to what project and how much I would invest it. I think from that time what I think would be change, our thought and heart would be in that money. It will happen as in this verse

To know that I would inherit a great some of money in a few years..would make me live my life more healthier, not just physically, but spiritually too. As far as our eternal inheritance, it reminds me that all things on earth are temporary and that we have the true blessed assurance of a grand unlimited inheritance and to throw it away for temporal, earthly treasures is ridiculous. Since our eternal is inheritance is limitless we should be encouraging all our brothers and sisters in Christ when times are tough. I want to spend eternity with as many as I can.

It is strange that we can become excited about getting ten million in a few years and start making plans for it, we should also be excited that in a few years we will get to spend eternity in Heaven, and we should really be excited about that and making plans now

This is a fantasic concrete example of what God has in store for me. My inheritance will make $10 million look like pocket change. I should never let present financial difficulties worry me. I know that they will be taken care of. All I have to do is be a good steward with what I have been entrusted to handle for now. As far as how this should affect my fellowship with other Christians, this is just another reason to relate to each other in love.

No knowing that I would inherit 10 million would not affect my life any differently. I had this experience when my Grandmother passed away. She had put a trust fund in my name. I was not allowed to touch the money till I was 21. I knew that I would be able to put that money to use. No it did not change me knowing I could use that money. My life remained the same. We need to remember to be ready for Christ's return. To expect it. We need to love and honor all of our brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter what they have done, this is soo very hard to do, and I am going thru this right now at my job. One of my managers claims to be a Christian, but I wonder about her motives.