JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People unwittingly follow Satan because of at least 4 basic things.

1) He is the master Deceiver. He can make even the most heinous thing look perversely enticing. And he is unrelenting in his pursuit. Apart from Christ, we really have no defense.

2) Without the living clarity of the Holy Spirit within, we cannot see through the cloudy film of sin and death. We're blinded and deadened to truth and reality. Iniquity so often looks beautiful and wonderful on the surface; on our own we can't see beyond the worldly.

3) We naturally want to live for and to please self. Even Christians are often willing to compromise or ignore righteousness just enough to gain some temporal benefit or comfort. Truth and justice demands sacrifice of self.

4) Sometimes we don't recognize the dangers and subtle tactics of the Enemy because we're ignorant of God's Word. We unintentionally stray into Satan's traps when we aren't being guided and protected by the light that guides our feet and illuminates our path.

I think maybe even more than the idea of choosing to follow Satan, it's simply not being willing to follow God. Eph. 2:2 speaks of the "sons of disobedience". A child is considered disobedient when he knows right but deliberately chooses to do wrong. And that warrants punishment. Verse 3 says those who are dead in sin live in the passions of their flesh and carry out the desires of the body and the mind. This is all part of the sinful rebellion against God and His purposes and design for living. We naturally desire to live for self rather than God.

The LORD is purely fair and just. He has explained His holy law and shown us how to live it. He has demonstrated His character through the tangible physical presence of Jesus Christ. He has provided the means by which we can be saved from the wrath of judgment. And He has revealed His power and divine nature in His creation that provides immutable evidence of His authority as Creator. I've heard a couple of different stories of missionaries who found remote peoples who'd never heard the name Jesus before, but had sensed Creator God because of what they saw in the natural world; they were now rejoicing to know who He is and who they are to Him. God asks that we respond to the light available to us and promises to bless the desire to know Him. Romans 1:18-21 makes it clear that mankind is without excuse in suppressing the truth by unrighteousness. God can rightly blame us because, by nature as we exercise our free will, we choose self over Him and His holy authority. Praise Him for merciful grace!

Satan has refined his skills of deceiving mankind over the years since he first deceived Eve. He is expert at twisting Scripture to make it appear to say something else, he is expert at using others as his tools, people who we've come to respect, from all walks of life. I believe that basically, we are most in danger of falling into Satan's trap when we think ourselves better than we are; for instance we believe we know the Bible well enough not to verify the Scripture that we read or quote readily. We are in danger when we begin to be drawn into man's thinking instead of God's; just because something sounds allright, doesn't mean that it is in agreement with God. Remember, Satan is a master at twisting words, and when man relies on his limited world view to judge whether something is right or wrong, instead of relying on God's infinite knowledge, we are in danger. Legislation is brought into make some things legal, and when the horrors associated with the legislation become noticeable, it is by then too late to close the lid, much like trying to get a cat back into the bag, once its been released.

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan?

By not being aware of his tactics. By not knowing the word of God. By not submitting to the Holy Spirit as our teacher and guide.

The mighty prince of the power of the air, is satan. Paul

Guest Tabatha

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan? In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God? How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

Many Christians are not familar with the scriptures because they lack the Holy Spirit to teach and convict them of the suttleness of the enemy and his devices. Some ignore the nudging of the Holy Spirit that do have it .

In 2Cor. 10: 5 It says casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. Not enough of time spent in the presence of the Lord in prayer and reading the word. In all fairness, God can blame us. It would be as a parent who has constantly given us instructions on the right things to do and as children we know what is right but ignore it and follow our on willful ways. We are to be held accountable for what we know. The word of God, the Holy Spirit, teaches us right from wrong.

It is only through His mercy and grace that God doesn't strike us dead for our willful sins. He keeps working with us and changing us daily as we listen to His Spirit. His Love is so great and He does see the finished product. Praise God for never giving up on me. Amen :)

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan? In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God? How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

Satan is like our default. Unless we choose otherwise we fall into default mode because that is what Adam structured into us. We now have to choose to believe in Jesus and to follow Him. God wants us to do it by choice. Maybe that's why He permitted satan on this earth. After all He created the despoiler (Isaiah 4:16). He knew everything from the beginning and wants us to choose Him as He chooses us. he has chosen all of us and given everyone the opportunity to choose Him, because He would not have anyone perish. Everyone has a destiny in Him if they so choose. He has not eliminated anyone.

Default mode is the mode of ignorance which involves rebellion against God. Jesus on the cross said, "Father forgive them. They don't know what they are doing". The mode of ignorance is undone by hearing the gospel, and this hearing is produced by the preaching of the gospel and the word of testimony. Because the default mode is ignorance, people will not know or realise they are rebelling unless someone tells or teaches them otherwise. - brings their alternative choice to them. They then have the coice of repenting and turning to Jesus. Their choice is then their responsibility. Our responsibility is to make sure that people are presented with that choice.

God is Just. He knows the heart of every man, and He also knows what the end product of Creation is to be. That which is of the flesh will die. Creation is only a temporary thing. That which is of the Spirit will live with Him. If everyone has opportunity to know Him He is not to blame if they don't take that up. You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink! All creation is evidence of the Creator, so there is a sense in which the evidence is clear to everyone, whether or not he has heard the gospel. Abram is the example of a man who responded to this evidence and was able to become a friend of God, but it is there for all of us.

God's intention was always to create a family of sons and daughters like Him, who, through their own choice want to be His. Unless they do it by their own choice they would be robots and this would not provide God with the quality of relationship He desired with His family, so He had to provide a means of giving us choice. In a sense, satan is that means.

God is Just. He knows the heart of every man, and He also knows what the end product of Creation is to be. That which is of the flesh will die. Creation is only a temporary thing. That which is of the Spirit will live with Him. If everyone has opportunity to know Him He is not to blame if they don't take that up. You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink! All creation is evidence of the Creator, so there is a sense in which the evidence is clear to everyone, whether or not he has heard the gospel. "They are without excuse" (Romans 1:20). Abram is the example of a man who responded to this evidence and was able to become a friend of God, but it is there for all of us. Our perfectly just God has given us more that every opportunity to know HIm through Jesus, so the consequences of the wrong choice are not His fault, but ours.

Unwittingly following Satan is when we do not discern that he (satan) has deceived us. We do not study the word of God or do not apply the word to our daily lives. So many Christians take the Word for granted and therefore end up doing things that we should not be doing. We are not guarding our hearts, minds and souls. Satan is a deceiver - a roaring lion seeking his prey. Christians must bath themselves in the Word of God and keep a close personal relationship with God.

Christians sometimes rebell against God by simply doing wrong things that they know is wrong. Gossip, telling lies...People rebell against God when they get an attitude like "I am going to do what I want to do, I do not care what the Pastor wants me to do" We must be grounded in the Word of God. We must not be blinded to Satan's existence.

God can blame us. God has given us the BIBLE, His instruction booklet. We need to use that Bible every day and commune with God everyday. We need to get over self-centeredness and pride and begin utilizing the Word of God. We need to use all weapons that God has given us to fight Satan. We must take authority over Satan.

Satan is pictured as ruling an evil spiritual kingdom - the demons and those who are against Christ. In the resurrection Christ was victorious over the devil and his power. By letting our guard down Satan can eat away at us. We cannot fight the evil one alone - we need Jesus. If we reject Christ we will receive God's wrath.

Best regards,

John.

It has been my experience that people do not take Satan or the concept of demon activity seriously. Most people that I have talked to about this subject during my bible studies feel that they are in control of their lives and that the devil is simply another term for evil or doing bad things. I bring this back to what they have been taught or rather what they haven't been taught in church. The devil is real and he has us just where he wants us, not believing in his spiritual abilities.

It is because of this unbelief that Satan is openly displaying his power around the world with gruesome effectiveness. And he is doing this through people who believe that what they are achieving is for God or, directly against God.

Because we do not preach or teach the congregations about the Adversary we are, in fact, condoning sin as he is sin's author. Therefore, we are in rebellion against God.

God doesn't blame us for anything. He is merciful toward us and provides us with all the tools necessary to make the right choice. His Son's sacrifice to free us from our sin, the Holy Ghost to keep us from our sin, and the Word to give knowledge on how to use the first two and, to share with others. He also gives us prayer, worship and praise to keep us focused on Him and the free will to choose all of the above.

Sometimes when browsing the Internet we go into sites that are not good for us.

This we know is wrong, but unknowingly or unwittingly we are drawn first to see and then get addicted to it.

because we know the truth and yet chose to do the wrong thing we are rebeling against God. God is fair and can judge us when we do wrong - as His children we are to be honest with Him and try not to hide when we are convcicted.

People unwittingly can follow Satan and don't even realize the trap he has set before them.It is our disobedience,and rebellion against God that leads us to sin.1 Samuel 15:23,For rebellion is like the sin of divination,and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,he has rejected you as king.(Samuel speaking to Saul)Look what happen to Jonah as he didn't want to do what God had asked of him.Jonah 1:1-10,in verse 8,the saliors asked,who is responsible for making all this trouble for us?.We are responsible for our own actions.When I make a wrong choice that is not lined up with the truth(word),then I will suffer the outcome.Even others could suffer from my disobedience.Yes God in all fairness can blame me.It is sin in Gods eyes.Once I enter into the storm,I will know I have rebelled against God,and not obeyed him.We must repent of our sin,hopefully God will get me out of the mess I have created.

(Don't listen to Satans lies.)He will make things look really good,but the outcome will be nothing but calamity.

People are dead in sin and have lost their sensitivity as regards to sin. Such people are blinded by their sinfull nature, and thus obey their sinful desires which is manupulated by satan.

We are responsible for unwitting rebellion to God because we have an option to choose what we do. Our choise to rebel against God has a consequence that we must bear, punishment/ judgement. We are given the option between life and death with an advice to choose life. If we thus go ahead and sin, then we will face eternal death.

God is fair and just. He has given us the opportunity to repent and live by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ. If we fail to do so, then we should NOT blame God for the judgment that follows our refusal.

Q2a.) (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan?

Q2a.) Without the Holy Spirit to speak to us, we are only setting standards against each other. Satan's name is deceiver, liar, murderer. Thorough deption we deceive ourselves to justify our worldly ways.

Q2b.) In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God?

Q2b.) "Since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly see, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools.." Romans 1:20-22

Q2c.) How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

Q2c.) He has given us a way out thrugh faith in Christ.

Because people are spiritually dead, they can unwittingly follow Satan. In their deadness we cannot help but follow the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, they end up following Satan. In our deadness our lives are filled with the craving of our sinful nature. In our deadness we are not spiritually powerful enough to lead in unseen

People unknowningily follow satan because it is in our nature to sin. But to knowingly follow God is the challenge that is put before us. Not being taught the correct way is an important key to unwitting rebellion against God, there are so many who believe (I was once one of them) that all we have to do is show up to church on Sunday, commit a little, pay our tithes and do whatever we want after that. We don't pay attention to the scripture because the pastor is always using it to chastise us. So we don't hear what he is saying or we believe that he is talking about someone else because we are blameless and believe that our sins don't count or that I have time to get it right. The right way should be taught, with love and understanding, and one should not believe that because I show up on Wednesdays for bible study and on Sunday for church that I am exempt from following Christ because we are born of a sinful nature and without the correct instructions we could be lead astray from what God expects from us.

By following after a sinful flesh which we all have we are allowing the devil to lead us down a path of destruction. We are responsible because God in His love a mercy gave us the Bible to tell us how to live for Him and what happens if we don't. It is upp to us to make the right choices. God is a just and Merciful God who must judge all those who sin against Him. He gave us a choice and we are required to pay for our actions. We choose to sin by our nature and only a loving God can save us from ourselves. Praise be to Jesus.

Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan? In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God? How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

We follow satan when we don't consult God about what direction He wants us to take, we unwittingly think that we are in control of our own lives and make decisions based upon our own understanding. We somtimes forget that it is not a little mistake when we disobey the commandments but it is sin and there is no little or big sin.

It is rebellion against God because we have the Word to give us the understanding we need and if we go to him in prayer we will receive correct instructions.

God is always fair and gives all the same chances to seek His way. We can not remain in a neutral state, we may think we are our own person but we are choosing to serve satan through the flesh or God. One or the other has control and you have the choice to make.

People can unwittingly follow Satan from a lack of knowledge and understanding of God's Word. Satan is the spirit that works in the heart of those that disobeys God. Following that passionate desires and inclinations nature is what gets us in trouble. We have to put to death the desires of the flesh and yield to the spiritual.

We are responsible for all of out action and choices. We will have to give an account before God. We have to be careful that our guide is what God desires of us and abide by his word. God in all his fairness love us, but he is a just God. He says if we love him we will obey him. There is no other way, we are accountable.

Following Satan is really pretty easy to do in this day and age. Look around, things that were not toloerated years ago are being done by our peers. I have friends that openly gamble, swear, buy items from the store use them for a while and then return them, use the Lord's name in vain. We are a country, society of justifiers (is that a word?). Anyway, we can rationalize about anything to make it work out our way. We know we are going against God, but hey everyones doing it. Get the picture we are fooling ourselves if we think for a moment we are fooling God. Of course we rebel, we're a bunch of little kids trying to hide from the Father. As I've gotten older I realize, that's not going to happen and I had better start taking responsibility for my actions and try to be obedient to my heavenly Father.

It is easy to unwittingly follow Satan, who is well disguised-an angel of light, and the great deceiver, father of lies. We are responsible because we do not measure his lies against the eternal measure of truth, the word of God. It is only in this glaring light that the lies become obvious. To blame us is only fair because we chose the lie. I thank God that mercy triumphs over justice! (James 2:13)

We have the most powerful tools in our fight against Satan; the Word and prayer.

Honestly, myself has succumbed to the evil one, sometimes unwittingly sometimes not.

I can tell you though the Holy Spirit grabs hold of me so tight, I feel scared knowing that if I continue in this way I will feel the force of God's judgement on me. He convicts me while sin is 'fun' it is only for a short time because the consequences are eternal and that is enough to get me back on track.

In a sense, God can blame us, we have free will, we choose what path we take, and as its already been brought up, our selfcentredness and pride is what gets in our way. So God has every right to hold us responsible for our actions, just like a loving parent would do for a child. You want to have the kicks just remember you will suffer the kickbacks!

We follow satan when we don't focus our desires on following the will of God, but instead look to filling the needs that er believe we have - sex, money, achievements, materials, etc. We are responsible because Jesus came and not only told us but showed us how to live. He pointed us to the Father. We have free will either to follow God's will or not.

We unwittingly follow Satan when we revert to our sinful nature--fulfilling it's lusts & becoming extremely selfish & prideful. We have choices to make at each step. We can, as Christians, choose to do what is right. When we don't, we are guilty & have to take responsibility to repent, confess it to God. We are no different than Adam & Eve. Had we been there, we would have been moved to that same sin. We are all guilty. No doubt!!

I think they follow because they are living in the flesh not living according to God's word which will sustain us thru all things.

God has given us all we need to stay with him we just need to remember a scripture verse and pray when we are slipping away.