JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God is Love and His Grace is sufficient for all change we need in our life. We have been made alive in Christ, Romans 6 says ...what we shall we do, go on sinning? We have been buried with Christ, in baptism (not saved) and we have been raised in newness.

We must allow God (believe faithfully) to transform us. He promises to 'wash us with His Word. God will make us alive with Christ. I have never been and felt SO alive - ever.

I believe Dr Ralph is asking about Eph 2:4-5 not Eph 1:4-5 so will answer using these verses. I think the word that best describes God's motivation and character in these verses is Mercy. I believe without the attribute God would not be able show Grace, Love and Forgiveness towards us, because none of us have done anything that deserves any of that. The verbs 'raised' and 'seated' best describes what has happened to us in Christ, although many believers still do not comprehend that God has placed us already far above Satan's realm and therefore reach, many of us still believe that Satan has power over us despite the fact that Jesus has already defeated him for us. It is only when we are deceived by Satan's whispers about our unworthiness that we are drawn down within his realms away from Christ's side, if we remain beside Christ then we need not cast Satan out, because Satan simply cannot reach and therefore has no power over us.

God's character is described in these verses with the words mercy, love, and grace. He has compassion and good will toward His creation because He loves it. That includes us! He was motivated to save us from wrath by His character, not by any worthiness of His creation. He could snuff it all out right now and start completely over if He wanted to. But He loves us. He loves me.

Because of that rich mercy born of such great love, He has provided the re-creation of new spiritual life in us through Christ. Our deadness to God can be remedied! Just using verses 4 and 5, once we're in Christ we are made alive and we're saved from the spiritual death that would result from our sin. Some really incredible blessings are ours because of that.

Guest Tabatha

:) ( 1Peter For Christ died for our sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God".)

God's motivation and character is His great love for us-- God who is rich in mercy made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in sin. It is by grace we have been saved.

Reading what you have written only makes me more grateful thw we have a God who loves us no matter what." quote" Mercy means "kindness or concern expressed for someone in need, compassion, mercy, pity, clemency." "Grace" means literally favor.... abeneficent disposition toward someone, grace, gracious help, good will," It describes one's attitude toward another which in unilateral, that is, one-sided, not depending upon what another does. " Grace " is not about merit or deserving, but about an unexplained love and generosity and giving on the part of the shower of favor, Perhaps the best short definition of grace is unmerited favor".

When I think on all these things, My first thought is how so much it describes how Christ wants us to be with the unlovely, the lost, the sinner. We are to be so much like Christ's attitude. Not looking and judging everyone one but looking past their faults and loving, caring, and giving compassion to those who need all the above' God looks at the potential and that is what He works on . We should see people with the eye of Jesus and look past their faults and love them with the love Christ has given us.

It is by grace we have been saved". It is favor which resides in the heart of the grace-giver, not in a reaction to the action or non-action of the recipient, It is a one sided favor which isn't dependent upon our deeds. To me it depends on the needs ,God's favor in Jesus Christ is neither earned or deserved. It just is. We need to learn to accept the fact that He loves us for just us and do the same for those around us. Reach out to the hurting, rejected, and unlovely one. Be the hands of Jesus extended. Amen

:) ( 1Peter For Christ died for our sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God".)

God's motivation and character is His great love for us-- God who is rich in mercy made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in sin. It is by grace we have been saved.

Reading what you have written only makes me more grateful thw we have a God who loves us no matter what." quote" Mercy means "kindness or concern expressed for someone in need, compassion, mercy, pity, clemency." "Grace" means literally favor.... abeneficent disposition toward someone, grace, gracious help, good will," It describes one's attitude toward another which in unilateral, that is, one-sided, not depending upon what another does. " Grace " is not about merit or deserving, but about an unexplained love and generosity and giving on the part of the shower of favor, Perhaps the best short definition of grace is unmerited favor".

When I think on all these things, My first thought is how so much it describes how Christ wants us to be with the unlovely, the lost, the sinner. We are to be so much like Christ's attitude. Not looking and judging everyone one but looking past their faults and loving, caring, and giving compassion to those who need all the above' God looks at the potential and that is what He works on . We should see people with the eye of Jesus and look past their faults and love them with the love Christ has given us.

It is by grace we have been saved". It is favor which resides in the heart of the grace-giver, not in a reaction to the action or non-action of the recipient, It is a one sided favor which isn't dependent upon our deeds. To me it depends on the needs ,God's favor in Jesus Christ is neither earned or deserved. It just is. We need to learn to accept the fact that He loves us for just us and do the same for those around us. Reach out to the hurting, rejected, and unlovely one. Be the hands of Jesus extended. Amen

Q3. (Ephesians 1:4-5) In verses 4 and 5, which words describe God's motivation and character?

Leviticus 1:3 If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD.

In the days of Malachi the prophet, God was angry with the priests because they had allowed people to bring diseased and sick , blind & crippled animals to God for sacrifice. God accused them of dishonoring Him by offering impure and imperfect sacrifices. He was greatly displeased. Romans 12:1 says: I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

In our text, it says: holy and without blame. With out blame, in Hebrew text means amomos {am'-o-mos} as a sacrifice without spot or blemish, morally: without blemish, faultless, unblameable. God knew that in order to reconcile us back to Him we had to become a covenant people, holy and acceptable, with no blemish of sin. The only way to do this was to make a collection of His choice by His own measure of holy standard, on His decision by His Loving choice, His own grace, to choose a people who would be sacred unto a Holy God.

The first blessing we have in Christ is that we were chosen by God. The second blessing is that God has accepted us through Jesus Christ. God will not and cannot accept us apart from Jesus. Only someone holy and acceptable could worship a Holy God. This is why I believe that God must do the choosing, no matter how much we would like otherwise. Only He knows who will be an acceptable sacrifice to Him, so He made this decision, before even one particle of creation was created.

We are without fault in His eyes, clothed in the righteous blood of Jesus Christ, with out blemish to the end that we will be a holy and acceptable sacrifice. Just as it was in the beginning, every thing that pleased Him, His choice, is what He wanted to do, and it gave Him great pleasure to fulfill the purpose of His will. His kind intent is whatever pureness is in us, is the gift of God who has freely of His own mercy chosen to reconcile us back to Him. It is not a rescue mission of God to save us, but His purpose that His creation be brought back to Him as His first Holy intent of creation.

The reconciled and adopted believer, and pardoned sinner, who would give all praise to his gracious Father, who spared not even His own Son, and brought believers to hear and embrace this salvation.

God then, did not choose us because we were, or otherwise would have been holy, but to the end that we should be holy. He chose us accordingly.

Which verbs describe what has happened to us in Christ? We are a Chosen people. By His choice in separation from sin, we are set apart to God, and sanctified by the Holy Spirit, in consequence of His election of us, through His Son, Christ Jesus.

According to his free, fixed, unalterable purpose to confer , as a property of His characteristic blessing on all those who should believe in Christ, and those only. It is our reasonable service to present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God. He chose us to this cause.

Q3. (Ephesians 1:4-5) In verses 4 and 5, which words describe God's motivation and character? Which verbs describe what has happened to us in Christ?

The words which describe God's motivation are "great love" and "rich in mercy".

We are "alive with Christ".

Through faith in Christ we are not guilty. The penalty of sin and it's power over us were destroyed by Jesus on the cross. Before we became Christians we were dead in sin and were slaves to our sinful nature. Now we are alive with Christ.

God is love and that is what motivates Him and His mercy and grace are a reflection of His character.

The verbs that describe what has happened to us are "made" which is what the potter has formed us to be which is alive, no longer dead in sin. By His "grace" He has looked past our mortal fallibility and "saved" us from our sin.

Ephesians 1:4-5) In verses 4 and 5, which words describe God's motivation and character? Which verbs describe what has happened to us in Christ?

God's love in that he has provided the way that none make perish but all who will can have everylasting life.

It is through grace that we are saved for we did not and could not earn it, it was offered out of His Love.

His Charachter is one of longsuffering, rich in mercy, offering redeemption to all who will accept it.

He had made us alive in Him where we were once dead in our sins.

To describe Gods motivation and charater would be his "love" for us,(for He chose us).Gods love is so great,beyond our comprehension.Gods love for us is is his motivation and character.We are Gods pleasure.

The verb "love"describes what has happened to us in Christ.

God is love, He is merciful, and by the grace of God were we saved. How could we not serve and praise God, the only true God. He is so rich in mercy,a nd loved us so much, even though we were dead(because of our sins), gave us LIFE when he raised Christ from the dead.

PRAISE GOD EVERYBODY!!!! WE ARE ALIVE IN CHRIST!!!! SHOUT FOR JOY!!!!

Q3a.) (Ephesians 1:4-5) In verses 4 and 5, which words describe God's motivation and character?

Q3a.) God's great LOVE, who is RICH in MERCY, MADE us alive, BY His GRACE have been saved.

Q3b.) Which verbs describe what has happened to us in Christ?

Q3b.) MADE ALIVE, even when we were dead in our transgressions and sin.

The words that describe Gods motivation and character are: GREAT LOVE for us; RICH in MERCY and GRACE. God is love and loved us when we were in our filth (in a pit and meant for eternal judment) he reached out and broght us out, washed us and declared us 'not guilty' as we received Jesus Christ into our hearts. What amazing love and grace in action (for even me!).

The verbs that describe what had happened to us in Christ are: MADE ALIVE with Christ; BY GRACE we HAVE BEEN SAVED. I thank you Lord for I am alive with (and in) Christ. What a privilege! Praise God.

God is rich in mercy. He is willing to forgive sin and to start again with us.

He made us alive (we have been saved). We are now capable again of sensitivity to our Creator and of communication with Him, as Adam originally was in Eden.

Q3. (Ephesians 1:4-5) In verses 4 and 5, which words describe God's motivation and character? Which verbs describe what has happened to us in Christ?

Words describing God's motivation and character are his great love for us, rich in mercy, and grace.

Verbs describing what has happened to us in Christ are first, God made us alive with Christ, we are no longer spiritually dead, and second, you have been saved, we have been rescued from something that has overpowered our race and victimized us, and we are no longer subject to God's wrath and jugdement

GOD shows his motivation in demonstrating how much he loves us and his character demonstrates this love through "Mercy" and "Grace". He loves us so much that he gave his son to SAVE us from sin. Even though he knows who we really are, he still finds ways to love us. Because of Christ we can now share our lives with God he can now look upon us, he has found a place for us in his kingdom and he has given us eternal life. He is truly an AWESOME GOD.

Eph 2:4 but God, being rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Eph 2:5 even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved),

I believe its, rich, merciful,great, loving, forgiver, maker and Saviour. He is rich He owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He is merciful forgiving the sinful retch that I am. He loves me He sent His Son to die for me. He is Great against Him there is no other. He forgives man his sins to a thousand generations.He is maker of all life, the heavens, earth and everhting in them. He is my Lord and Saviour without His love I would be lost.

We were made alive in Christ, after His conquering death He gave to us the power to live and reign with Him. We are made ambassador for Him to bring other to know of that mercy He showed to us. We are His temple the dewelling place of His Holy Spirit which is at work in us to delivers us to Him on that day when He come for His own.

Both the motivation and character of God can be described in one word-Love, which was demonstrated by His mercy.

The verbs from Ephesians 1:4-5 are chose, predestined, adopted-all indicating He has a plan for us. We are not an accident or afterthought of His.

Chapter 2:4-5 verbs are made and saved. This was so cool to see that come together and see-God had a plan, from the beginning, to save me and make me alive.

Praise God for using even typos to open my mind to His word!

Words that describe God's motivation and characrter are Chose,, Love & Predestined

He chose us before creation ,(in love he predestined us through Jesus Christ)

Verbs that describe what has happened to us in Christ holy & blameless and love

Pastor Ralph this was a hard question, it really made me think deeply about the love of Christ. I found that the words to describe God's motivation and character could also be verbs to describe what has happened to us in Christ.

Sorry I was late in answering this question.

The words that describe God's Motivation and Character are -"But God Loved us anway"

-The verb is - ' Dead because of sin'