JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ephesians 2:10 clearly teaches us that when we were created anew in Christ Jesus it was for the purpose of "good works". I really like Pastor Ralph's explanation of that, but I think of it another way, too. If I am transformed from what I originally was and am now purposed for good works, then I must have been only able to produce "bad works" before I was redeemed. Those were the works of iniquity, unrighteousness, wickedness, and rebellious pride. Along with the predestination of the outcome of my salvation that we already studied, the LORD also ordained that I would be consecrated and equipped for the new purpose of good works.

I think these are the works of holiness and righteousness that can only be done by the Spirit through me - works that shine bright to demonstrate the glory of God and accomplish His will (Matt.5:16). This would be good works of holy living in a general sense for all Christians on the whole. Given that I believe every person is uniquely and purposefully created to meet specific needs in specific times of history, I do think God has completely planned specific works and equipped each person with specific abilities, gifts, etc. to live out his/her specific purpose in His overall will and plan for His-story. [Was I "specific" enough? :) ] This would be good works in a more precise sense for each individual Christian.

When man depends on his own efforts to do works that please God, it's like he believes if he does right enough times then God owes him something. This would mean works are the efforts of man to gain God's favor, which means they're lifeless and empty because one can't gain God's favor in this way. The works of man can never honor or satisfy God because they are generated from the heart that is desperately wicked. The righteous efforts of man are filthy compared to the holiness of God. And besides, how could you know if you've ever done enough and been good enough? All such lifeless, futile self-effort would also mean that this person isn't operating in and by the Spirit.

By contrast, faith is a living active force in and of itself, never lifeless or empty or ineffective. Genuine confidence in who God is and what He has said will be a dynamic influence that changes your heart in a way that will be evident in your actions (Luke 5:45). When who you are becomes transformed, then what you do and how you do it will naturally be changed. The presence of the Holy Spirit always creates outward evidence of the genuine inward salvation of a believer.

To know what works are good, we must look to the source of goodness, identified by Jesus in Matt.19:17 as only God. Faith that produces obedience to His commandments is good works. According to 1 Timothy 5:25, the good works produced by such faith will be conspicuous. Even when doing good in secret, you won't be able to hide the good work God is doing in you or the fruit that results from it. Whatever God creates in you to do will be good (holy and true to His will)! [1 Tim.4:4] And when the Spirit of God leads you in doing a good work, it will bring true glory to God.

I guess the bottom line, the ultimate good work, is Jesus' response when asked, "What must we do to be doing the works of God?" in John 6:28. He answered, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent." (also see 1 John 3:23-24) Heart-changing faith in Christ will (1) lead us to be obedient and (2) generate good works. We can't just muse about what we believe all the time. Real faith is an action word; we must let it get to work and walk it out in real life.

Ephesians 2:10 tells us that God created us to emulate Jesus in our lives, to let our lifestyle be our sermon. Many believe that just showing up at Church shows they are a believer, they then forget that their attitude towards their boss, employment and others, including their own families is far more relevant to their faith than in their mere fronting up at Church each Sunday, even if they do seek out the front pews.

Matthew 5:16 I believe further reinforces this, in that it says that we should allow the light of God that should be shining from us, be reflected everyday, it shouldn't be saved until the next Holy day. People should identify that we've received God's grace because of the way we live, by the way we reach out to others, not just because they see us going into a Church.

Yet this tranformation comes not through our own endeavour, many try to put on an act of 'holiness', however, by their own strength, on their own merit, it is impossible to maintain this front, and soon the facade crumbles and their true selves show through. By God's grace our character is changed from within, there is no window dresser trying to create an image that doesn't exist in reality. It is something we are powerless to do without God's enabling and it is this change that is testament to our faith not our own endeavours or pretense.

Guest Tabatha

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

:)

We were created first to worship Him with all our being then we willseek to help and serve others which God has prepared us to do. We must serve with love and kindness not to please ourselves but to please God because we are His workmanship We are notsaved merely for our own benefit but to serve Christ Christ and build up the church we have been given special spiritual gifts to do what God has ordained us to do. I believe the most needed is discernment a sensitivity to hearing the voice of the God and the nudging of the Holy Spirit for service to those really in need.

Verse ( 9 ) not by works, so that no one can boast. ( Matthew 5: 16 ) In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven. If we live by Christ , we will glow like lights showing others what Christ is like. We need to be a beacon of light by how we live not by bragging about the things we do. Sometimes we don't have to say anything. Just the presence of Christ in us will minister to people. As I said in the above, it is our acts of kindness, our words in gentleness, just a touch on some one the presence of the Holy Spirit will flow to that person and minister to them. Boasting and bragging with out any lasting results is done for self and not for Christ. We need to encourage people more and not judge or critize them for their failures or just they way they are love them with the love of Jesus. Ask the Holy Spirit to let you see people through the eyes of Jesus.

We were created to do good works as a result of our faith-response to God which He had planned for us to do before we were born--to glorify God.

These works are planned by God for us when we give Him the reins to our lives, unlike the works which stem from trying to keep the law & to earn points!

We give the credit to God alone--not to ourselves & our abilities.

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

God had a vision for us when He created us, that we would reflect the glory of His person on the earth, much as a son who learns and eventually presides over his father's business, and in developing it continues to reflect his dad's foresight, vision and value. In the same way we are intended to continue Jesus' work, reflecting His foresight, vision and value.

This would provide an expanding holiness over the face of the earth, and expanding reflection of our Father. Since we are adopted and sons and daughters we make up the expanding empire of Christ, doing (together) even "greater works than" (John 14:12) Jesus Himself did, and offering every person the opportunity to join the "Family Business".

These "works that God has prepared for us to walk in" cannot be envisaged before one is saved and knows Father intimately. These are the miraculous works of healing and salvation, of speaking in tongues, of prophecy and in the other gifts of the Holy Spirit ("spiritual blessings in the heavenly places", Eph 1 3). They cannot be done before one is saved - they are a product of salvation, of the Holy Spirit's leading in one's life. In Eph 2:9 Paul speaks of the things one might do in order to assess oneself as a good person, but they do not issue from the Holy Spirit of Truth.

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do? Why? (Matthew 5:16)

According to Ephesians 2:10 we were created to do good works. Men would see and benefit from our good works and praise God (Matt. 5:16).

What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

The works mentioned in Ephesians 2:10 and Matthew 5:16 are works as a result of our walking in obedience to God. These are works that are as a result of us using the gifts and talents that God has blessed us with, along with deeds that are developed through our love for God and our fellowmen. The works Paul discredits in Ephesians 2:9 are deeds being done with the expressed purpose of getting to Heaven. He is saying that good works, alone will not save us. We must receive salvation by faith.

Goodworks that have been preplanned for us to do by God. These are works specifically created for us. These are not legalistic laws created by the head man through some group of men that decided this is what we should do. If we would only open our hearts and minds to God's leading we would see what He is calling us to do.

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do?

God is creating us to be a new creation, why? so we may go forth and do good works. Works has a meaning of toil, labour. For Christ to do His work in us, we must be willing to have Him do it. Our works, what we will toil at, has a great purpose, that God's glory would be shinning through us, to be a light to those who are lost, to those who don't have a light to shine ahead of them. As Christ is filling us with His love, changing our person, it is important we understand this is a process, and we must be that willing vessel for God.

I may not always be in a mood to have my light shine, it is hard work, I would rather watch TV, when I should be in the word, I am too tired to get up for church. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit who convicts me, He is there to remind me, You are being changed for a reason, there are many peoples out there who are walking in darkness, go, be that light, it is Christ's light, it is Christ creating work in me.

What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

There is a difference between works originating from the flesh, and good works God is creating us to do. Jesus was careful to follow the law, for He was a true Jew, He knew the Father gave the law for Israel's good; It was when man added to these laws, so they may appear as religeous before men, so they can receive praise from man, this kind of works leads to a heart of pride in self. God's light cannot shine in a heart full of pride. The good works that Christ is preparing us for, are not our works, but they are the goodness found in us, Christ Jesus.

Q3a.) According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do?

Q3a.) Good works.

Q3b.) Why?

Q3b.) Because God has prepared these works in advance for us to do.

Q3c.) (Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

Q3c.) Works without faith are man's deeds trying to earn righteousness before God. Faith with works is a living faith resulting in works to glorify God.

For we are God's workmanship (a gift), created in Christ Jesus to do good works (the result of our faith-response to God), which God prepared in advance for us to do." (2:10)

We were prepare to do the good works that God preordained in His Wisdom, and Knowledge before we were even born. We are to continue to follow Christ and seek the lost, love our neighbor as our selves and to live out a life that will be a blessing to those around us and bring praise and honor to God our Creator.

Some say that the only way to serve God is to go and minister to others, but I believe that we are doing that right where we are in our work places, we are to live as though we are the only Bible that some people will ever read. We need to be ever watchful of our action that they draw others around us to Christ not turn them away or reinforce their excuse for not believing in Christ.

Works, works, works! We are here to work to learn how to work. Not the works of the Torah, the old laws, which were fulfilled on the cross of the New Covenant but, by the works of the Holy Spirit. That is, Christ in us and manifested by our good deeds, our testimony, our witness, our Christ like lifestyle.

Paul decried the works of the law as vain efforts to make ones self righteous. This can only occur by God's grace to the which we PRAISE HIM!

We are God's masterpiece (work of art, workmanship). Our salvation is something only God can do . It is His powerful, creative work in us. If God considers us His masterpiece, we dare not treat ourselves or others with disrespect or as inferior work.

We are also not saved merely for our own benefit but to serve Christ and built the Church.God Has chosen us to be Christ's representatives on earth.

Yes, we are Gods workmanship(work of art,masterpiece). It is Gods powerful,creative work in us that we go out into the world and do good works.Gods intentions is that our salvation will result in acts of service.To serve Christ and build up the church.(NIV).

The diffrence in Matthew 5:16 and Ephesians 2:9. If we live for Christ,we will glow like lights,showing others what Christ is like.We work Gods plan out of love.We don't expect anything in return.

Ephesians 2:9. I believe Paul is saying,we work to help and serve others with kindness,love,and gentleness,and not mearly to please ourselves,and boasting about what we do. Wanting people to recognize who we are.(God will lift us up if He wants the world to know who we are). Every good works we do is to glorify God,not ourselves.I do confess there are times when I would love to be recognized for what I do.It does make me feel good about myself.But I do know I must not be that kind of person.That is "not" the person God wants me to be. :) Amen

We are created to do good works. Jesus came to this world doing good deeds to bring glory to God. We are created in Him and have His nature in us for good works. Our faith in Him produces in us ability to do good works through the Holy Spirit.

The difference: The works paul is talking about in Eph 2.9 are the legalistic works done with the mind-set that they will earn us salvation. These works are self centred and NOT God centred. But salvation is not earned but given to us freelly by faith (trust in our Lord as our Saviour). The other works he is talking in verse 10 of the same chater of Ephessians refer to the 'EFFECT' of our faith that produces works that are God centred. Such works cause people to see and give praise and glory to God.

According to Ephesians 2:10 we are created to do good work. I dont beleive its saying that good works is the purpose of new life, or that people were redeemed in order to be a people 'zealous of good works' (Titus 2:14; rather it is that good works are 'involved' in the new life as an inseparable condition. The nature and character of the works and the direction of the Christian daily walk are predetermined. This then corresponds closely with Ephesians 1:4, which describes the end and goal of election as 'that we should be holy and without blame before Him'

Showing the light is being distinctive, as a disciple we are visibly different from other people and will have an effect on them. But the aim of good works is not to parade our good virtue, but to direct attention to the God who inspired them

We are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things He planned (predestined) for us long ago.

Others need to be able to see the light of Christ in the things that we do. Others need to see Jesus in our works.

All of the things (works) are of God and for God. All Glory and Honor go to Him.

According to Ephesians 2:10, we were created to do good works. Because by doing good works, others will see our good works and then will glorify our Father in heaven.

The difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9 is that these works are the result of our faith-response to God, and we as the new creation are given the ability to do them; while the works Paul discredits are efforts to merit His favor to merit salvation, but they are in vain, because salvation is only by faith in Christ.

Q3. According to Ephesians 2:10, what were we created to do?

We were created do the things that He has planned for us.

Why?

To serve and build up the church, the body of Christ.

(Matthew 5:16) What is the difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9?

The works of a believer in verse 16, gives glory to God, by the praise of others who see us in action for God. Our moral deeds, cause others to praise God. God shines out of us into the eyes of those who are watching.

The works of a believer in verse 9, are done by God who does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join Him in the work He does, the good work He has gotten ready for us to do.

Note to Pickledilly: Your written words made me cry. I thought about what you said and I was so moved by the spirit with in you that penned those words. I AM, eternally grateful. Your words were vital to my next elevation of growth. Keep on keeping His word! Father, bless Pickledilly for her obedience to Your Word, written and spoken in her ear. In the name of Jesus. - Amen

[/quote

We were created to do good works, because God ordained this for us to walk in them. Christ set the pattern for us to do these things.We as Christian, followers of Christ should do those things for which he has called us to do.Why? because in doing these things we will be glorifying God who is in heaven The difference between these works and the works Paul discredits in verse 9 is that It is not of works alone because we are not saved by works. We are saved by grace, but faith without works is dead. As Christians we should not work to be saved, but if we are saved it is a joy to work for the Lord.

We were vreated to have faith in God and accept our salvation. Because we have faith, we try to live by Jesus' example. Thus we do good works because our faith is life-changing. Faith before works. Paul discredits the claim that doing good work's earns God's favor. God's favor is earned but given freely.

We were created in the His Image to do the special works of Christ. To show the world how to live for Christ and to shine for His Glory. To do only what is pleasing to God. Let it be a guide for our conduct and a test of our actions. All for the glory of God. Verse 9 describes by works. We can not be saved by what we do . Only by God's grace are we saved. We can't earn salvation. No amount of good deeds will save anyone..

We were created to carry out good works which God planned for us a long time ago.

These good works must be carried out in conjunction with faith.

John.

WE WERE CREATED TO CARRY GOOD WORKS THROUGH FAITH. THE FOOTSTEPS THAT CHRIST HAS LAID DOWN FOR US TO FOLLOW IN. IT IS OUR PREDISTAINED PATH, OUR BLUEPRINT, ETC.... WE ARE ALSO CREATED FOR PRAISING HIM.

THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOU CAN'T EARN GOOD WORKS YOU CAN BECOME GOOD WORKS IN ALL THAT YOU ARE AS AN EXAMPLE OF CHRIST.

To worship him and cre4ated in Christ Jesus for good works.

We can't take the credit ourselves, it is only because of God that we do and have all things.