JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. 1. Only a witness who can reliabily testify to the reality of God and His trustworthyness can strengthen us to stand up under derision, mocking, and any type of persecution--mild or terrible!

Jesus is the most reliable witness, because He IS God! He witnesses to us by His Spirit to our spirit, and we come to know His voice!

In the States thus far, we do not have physical persecution. But we do have to face derision, separation from loved ones and others who do not believe, and being pushed into a place of "those kooks who need a crutch!" Sometimes, when the person is a loved one or someone who is in authority over us, the pain can be as great as physical pain, or we find our professional lives circumscribed into less valued positions. We shrink from this. But even here, some who have stood up for His reality have paid with their lives--as the girl in one school shooting did. More and more, Christians are becoming the only ones who can be discriminated against in America.

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Testimony and witness are two of the things that help us reinforce our beliefs. When we are afraid or lost, the witness and testimony of others can restore our focus and build our strength. Jesus is a "faithful witness" because He is the truth and always will be. (John 14-6). Even in the darkest times Jesus' truth shines like a beacon in the night. We are afraid to be clear witnesses because we are afraid of being rejected or offending anyone who doesn't share our belief. We are afraid because when we make ourselves stand out as Christians we open ourselves to judgement and usually fall short.

Peace and love

susan

As we go into the last days, Christians are being persecuted more now than ever before in history. As the persecution intensifies, we need a guide to help us through. Revelation offers the encouraging words of hope and love we need to hear. More trials=more encouragement.

Jesus knows and understands what we are going through and will go through. He experienced the utmost persecution and pain on the cross and in the events leading up to the cross. If He could endure this, and come out victorious, then we can also.

Fear is a strong emotion. When we fear what others will say to us, or do to us, we become paralyzed to act. We create our own "persecution". I was taught to not "rock the boat", cause conflict or problems. I have been fearful to speak out the truth. I want everyone to like me. I don't want to be labeled a "Jesus Freak," etc. I have placed this as my priority over telling the truth of Christ's love for others.

When we have the opportunity to hear the testimony and witness what Christ is doing in our lives we are helping others by our encouraging words. When we have the opportunity to hear what others have endured we can witness with their experiences and know that God is with us as well. It is encouraging to know that we are not alone in facing the challenges put before us.

Jesus faced the worst persecution possible.... the hypocrites of the day and those that hated Him never stopped Him.... He knew who He was the the authority and power that resided within Him. This was a testimony about His relationship with His Father. This testimony can encourage us to know that that same Spirit resides in us and we can overcome evil with good not because of who we are but who is working within us.... we then can overcome by the words of our testimony and the blood of the Lamb.

We fear being witnesses in our own land where no persecution is because we do not fully have a revelation of who Jesus is.

My prayer is that through this study I will begin to receive a deeper revelation of this.

Hi Everyone,

My heart became so full of joy when I was reading your 'posts'. My Brothers and Sisters in Jesus Christ, answering the call, to become witnesses to His Grace, from all around the globe. Here's a little about me: I live in West Hills, Calif. attend as an Elder, Christ Community Church in Winnetka CA. I have 7 Grandchildren. I want to be of maximum service to God and my fellow man. But, sometimes I hold my tongue, and pray that The Holy Spirit will strengthen my testimony by my actions.

Love ...Bro. Al

Christ is our Lord. He has gone before us. He fulfilled the old testament, performed miracles, he loved people. His teachings of sin and hell, kingdom life,

God our Father.He did not sin but forgave it in others. He became the First person in history to defeat death and live forever. All this and more to show us who he is and what he can do for us.

So when I am being mocked or ridiculed for believing, I remember why I believe

and who it is I believe in.

I can not imagine what believers go through when being tortured sometimes to death for their faith in Jesus. I can only imagine how important a reliable witness and testimony would be.

Being liked, respected, accepted is important to me, I admit. So when I speak

of Jesus Christ as Lord and when I promote the bible as true to unbelievers I open my self up to all their negative thoughts on the subject. As you can imagine, I do not like that. However I remind my self That I do need their ' empty priase '

in the first place.

Secondly, before I can speak, people around me see my actions and if I live a worldly life then my talking will have no real impact.

a) We need to hold on to what is true in times of intense persecution. The testimony and witness of others keeps the truth of God's person and God's promises through Jesus in the forefront of our mind. It builds our faith to keep us "holding on."

B) Jesus' life, death and resurrection encourages us. There is more than what is happening to us now. We have the promise of eternal life through Jesus. Jesus is the perfect example for us.

c) We have got the whole message wrong. Some churches are so afraid of offending someone and driving people away that they do not speak the truth in love. They no longer speak to the world about what is right and wrong. They are allowing the world to tell them.

I believe we are on a very slippery slope indeed!

- Marilyn

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

1. Testimonies are very encouraging because they confirm the hope that lives within us. :) They add color to a person's personal story bringing the littlest subject into the light and making it come alive; this helps me remember this life is only temporary and with that in mind I can go that one more mile, or even one more day for that matter.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

2. Jesus is God and God can not lie so Jesus encourages us by telling us and showing us that He is the beganing and the end, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Jesus, once lived, died, and was ressurected, He now lives and will regin again on this earth as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. It is very encouraging to know that He is in charge..

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

3. People have a fear of not fitting in or not having the right answer to satisfy someones question. I am learning become all things to all people without sinning (a hard task) that way they tend to listen to me better and I am continuing to grow in His knowledge, so I can have an answer that they might connect with.

Being persucted in our country is becomming more of a reality. I just read yesterday that a homeschool pastor was called with a bomb threat to the school. Unless he changed his stand on same sex marriages. There were at least 200 plus children in this school and had to be removed so that the proper people could look for the bomb. Perfect example of persuction, effecting children.

I fail at times to stand up for what I believe to be true and right. Our nature is to want to protect and we fall short of standing firm so that our children do not become hurt. But then I remember what Jesus did for us. The persuction He suffered for us. Our witness and our testimony is so important in these times. So that we can combat the imorality that is setting into our country.

When I fail to share blessings that God has given to me, My spirit grieves.

If we could only draw strength from our brothers and sisters in Christ, share our testimonies and blessings we can become stronger. Strength in numbers.

God bless

And share this day and everyday the love that God has given to us.

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

1. I believe that with our testimony and us witnessing to others, shows people that coming from a bad situataion can turn around for the better , and what God can do to our lives and show others that following in God footsteps makes us better people.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

2. Jesus could not and did not do it any other way , but Gods way, he shows us we also can walk in his footsteps. he shows us the simple way and not the hard road. Looking to see how Jesus did it, shows us we also can walk the straight and narrow. Our rewards are in Heaven.

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

thats an easy question, but not a easy things for us to change. we are so worried in our everyday lives to others (non-christians). that we follow Jesus. Because we don't want to be classed as freaks or other names. also we don't want to be treated any different to others. so some christians will not show that they follow God. they hide it. We all should witness to everyone, and walk like just Jesus did. and Do.

:)

:rolleyes:

Jesus is the model for us to be like. He has been there, done that; therefore is proof that we can endure. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. This encourages us to strive to be like HIM. This encourages us that in the end, Jesus wins and we either can be with Him or without Him. We are part of the Army, we don't choose to be part of it only what side we are on.

Witnessing is more than just talking. Witnessing is showing the way.

We are afraid because we want to be accepted not rejected by our human fellows. We are afraid because we know we are not perfect and if we witness then we are open to critisism of our sins. True Witnessing puts us in the minority bracket and we don't want to be made fun of. We want to be liked and have fun.

Our belief as Christians is what sustains us in times of trouble and doubt. Jesus is speaking to the churches in a time of trouble and doubt.

He encourages us by revealing both right and wrong behavior. Wrong behavior can weaken the foundation of belief and faith. Right behavior is the primary focus and where we gain our strength.

Persecution is persecution, whether it be stoning or snubbing. Our fears of being rejected and/or our lack of right behavior is why we have trouble being a 'clear witness'.

"Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?"

We are made over-comers, by the Blood of the Lamb and the Word of our testimony...Jesus, who is our 'living' testimony, once died, but rose again unto eternal life, points the way for us.

As the ultimate example, of one persecuted for rightousness sake, we draw strength from His life and example.....For who of us, has had to endure, unto death? As someone brought out already, we who live in countries that allow freedom of worship, will be called upon to experience persecution....persecution of a different type perhaps, but persecution, nevertheless..Jesus said in Jn.15:20...

'Remember the word that I said to you; The servant is not greater than his Lord...If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you....'

(And who's to say, that before the coming of our Lord, we won't be called upon to 'endure unto death?)

'Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?'.....Good question!

I can only give an opinion here on this; I believe it is for many reasons...the biggest being 'spiritual' laziness, (or slumber). Pride, hardness of heart, luke-warmness...take your pick.

My question would be, why is it that those Christians in countries that suffer the greatest persecution for their faith in Christ, (sometimes even unto death) the ones that 'bare greater witness?'

Many in 'free' nations, where the opportunity to witness for Christ, seem to have left their first love...have forgotten the 'simplicity' that is Christ Jesus, and taken on the ways of the world. The search for truth...(Jesus being all truth) seems to have been replaced with head-knowledge...a philosophizing of the Word. We can only know Him by the Spirit...not by the mind. I agree with Marilyn, we are indeed on a slippery slope! :unsure:

This is Jesus Christs revelation which he received from God the Father and gives to us freely.John was an eye witness to Christs testimony in his life,which John has seen and passes on to the church to encourage us and also teach us.A lot of Christians today are afraid to witness because they are afraid of what people will think and could do to them.Now days you could loose your job talking about Christ in your work place.Some of us have not yet learned to serve and accept the outcome bad or good.For one to witness is to serve Christ.To seve Christ there will be times we suffer.

:) Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. The theme of testimony and witness is so important to that purpose because this will confirm or attest something that we believe on the basis of personal knowledge or belief. It means that we will be able to bear witness on something we value and we can truly defend through the words of our testimony. :)

Jesus as the faithful witness, is an encouragement and a model for persecuted Christians to follow. Jesus testified for what He has seen and heard although no one received His testimony. And He bore witness only to the TRUTH. As His followers and disciples, we should only bear witness to what is true.

We are afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted because we don't want to offend others and to be offended as well. Or might be we don't know what we believe and can't be a good witness to what we stand for in life. We don't have much testimony to share, not having gone through testings and overcome them through Jesus Christ who strengthens us.

"What is a testimony without the TEST!" Let us be victors in Christ!!!

God bless you Dr. Ralph! :)

Testimony and Witness is important if someone is being persecuted. It can give them encouragement, and hope and the strength they need to overcome the persecution.

Jesus as the "faithful witness" encourages us by knowing that He went through so much and it was for us and because of us that He gave His life so we could be saved. The same spirit lives in us to encourage us and let us know that He is strong and if we live a christian life - then we can overcome evil knowing what Christ did for us.

We are afraid to be a clear witness in a culture where we aren't persecuted because we don't want to be classified a "Jesus Freak" and we don't like rejection or being made fun of. I hope I can be stronger and live the kind of life that when others see me - they will see Jesus.

A. For it's through the testimony of John that the unveiling or revealing of Jesus Christ becomes known. This unveiling gives them hope and faith in which they are strenghened and encouraged. They know that God will be there, the church will win no matter how bad things are, God is there as is still today.

B. For Jesus endured all the sufferings that come before us and overcame. Jesus endured the cross and we can be sure that our faith will be perfected in Him, Our eternal redemption is accomplished.

C. Persecution can take the form of many things, not only one being a martyr, one can be treated cruelly or causing one to suffer. There are many ways one can suffer. "Blessed are those who are persecuted..." Pray that you are with out fear for God did not give us a spirit of fear but of love.

:rolleyes:

Q1 The reason it is so important to us today is that the persecution is going on now and we need this to be prepared ourselves. We also need to be able to help those that are under persecuted today in other countries. If the Lord waits we too may under go the persecction to death. We need this to encourage others and for us to be encouraged.

Jesus is God there is no way to separate them from one another they are part of the trinity. Father, Son and Holy Ghost they all speak the same, think the same and are the same. Jesus is the faithful witness he is the son of the living God. It makes no difference which one is speaking the words are from all three.

Reason some people are afraid is pier pressure, others because of pride. Some just lack the boldness to speak out afraid that what they say will not be right. We should not have fear it is not of God. The only fear a Christian is to have is of God himself.

We would be suprised at some of the things that go on in other countries. With what they deal with on a daily bases because of there beliefs. When we read accounts of some of it. Will help make us stronger when we go through persecutions.

Jesas as our faithful witness was with God from the beginning.

Afraid people will think they are weak and need something to help them stand. Afraid some might think they are high and mighty. I am always afraid someone will think me stupid. That makes me pull back.

Jesus is the one we are to look up to and belive his words of truth he left his place in heaven to dwell with us knowing the pain and agony he would suffer but for us he came and lied down his life to show us how to overcome this life and he promosed us all we needed to do the work he has for us to do then he told us he would never forsake us an he would even send us the holy ghost to teach us all things an to confort us so i belive thats how he is our faithfull wittness

Q2i think we dont really trust in his word because we are to worried about what others might think of us even though he said we where to share the gosple we think about what we might lose we we do or what another person might do to hurt us but we forget that in the end it will be ok in the arms of the lord

Im still not as strong and bold as the Lord would have me to be its hurts to have family an friends turn away from me but the truth is got to be shared but im carefull to always share in love

thank you for this great work you are doing looking forward to the rest of the time spent shareing with the brothers an sister in the Lord be cool joe :rolleyes::P

The book of Revelation shows the intense persecution of the church, yet because of the church's continued faith---it also shows the eternal reward. The church as believers must witness and testify to all they can, to strengthen the kingdom of God. Jesus is the faithful witness because for all He wassent to earth to do for God, He did it because He wasent by God for a purpose and even knowing He was to be sacrificed, he still did as His father requested and did it even knowing He would be a sacrifice for us, many not worthy of the sacrifice, yet He did it all....

We are afraid to witness because we are afraid of what people think of us...if we are energetic about the Word, we are labeled a fanatic, and because we want to be accepted by everyone, liked by everyone. We are also afraid of witnessing because we aren't accepted by all....especially the ones who need it, are least likely to listen and we feel a failure.

I think that is the biggest thing is we all want to succeed, if we don't try then we won't fail....

Personally, I don't feel confident enough to witness to anyone because I know there will be a questionthat I can't or won't beable to answer and they will then feel like, you want me to listen to you and you don't even know. hard to explain, but bascically if we don't witness when there is no persecution for us here in the US, how will we be able to witness when there IS persecution ?

I thank God for giving us Revelation. Those who read it are blessed with comfort and hope. I am grateful for those who have gone on before and suffered so that I might know Jesus and I pray God will give me the courage (since I don't have it in my self) to do the same so others will know "Him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by His blood". Our testimony is important. We are Jesus' body and He works through us as well as in us. Gal. 2:20. What a privilege. Jesus is the faithful witness and we need to declare His witness to a lost and dying world. May God give us the courage we need to witness for Jesus not just in words but in deed something I find difficult many times.

God Bless everyone in this study and thank you for your insightful responses to the questions.

Jen

"Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?"

The theme of Testimony and witness... Both John is given account of being in the same Spirit as Christ; Jesus. Both are Testimonials... both are witnesses to the Spirit of God. For me the only way I would have believed is through Jesus... believe on the words spoken of John... the Spirit of both Christ and John lives in me... the Spirit of Jesus living in me bears witness to the Spirit in both John and Christ... this given testimonial speaks to my Spirit bearing witness to the Same spirit.

Importance and Encouragement: Discernment and revelation given to One Spirit; of God, which lives in me and in John and in Christ... speaks to me the given testimony to which is read was by the same Spirit speaking Promises to those who OVERCOME. Overcome in Him; Jesus: through His word spoken; by faith.

Purpose: One Purpose, One Spirit, One Will... of God... Heaven Bound

Clear Witness and where we are not persecuted?

I see persecution... it may not be as "Media Played" as it should be. I see the persecution in many ways... but it just does not seem as heightened as in other countries where they may go to prision and have their tongues cut out for speaking the word.

On the other hand... I believe I live in a Country where most people have heard of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit and His word... we have more Salesmen in Pulpits rather than those who minister the Truth of the Word reminding them of Judgment and Repentence and Preparation.

I would say to anyone: go test the waters, no matter what country you live in. No matter how Free one thinks they are... no matter how much people say they believe in God... test the waters... one will find persecution when they Speak the name of Jesus. Say God and it is iffy... say Jesus and look out!

Sunshine :)