JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. His Own Glory and Goodness

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This verse speaks to me of God's immutable and unchangable character. His righteousness remains absolute and His glory is in no way diminished when He accepts me, a vile sinner, by the redemptive plan of His own design which makes me acceptable through the perfect righteousness of Christ to His glory. I am motivated by His loving holiness to become like Him.

God's glory is that He is good. His goodness called a sinner such as I. His glory has changed my life...changed my heart..I now must give grace to all who have wronged me because God has shown me his excellence...his grace...his mercy. Could I ever forgive as he has? Could I ever sacrafice as he has? Only when he fully takes control....I am looking forward to that time...when I can fully surrender to him and be fully converted.

I am overwhelmed by God's glory and presence in my everyday life. I know he is there and watching and I want to please him. I want to show kindness and love to others because I know that is what he wants me to do and what I should do. He is my conscience. Knowing he is always there makes me a better person. He shows himself to me in so many ways almost daily. I also know that he forgives me when I do not live up to the standards he has set for me.

With what I've already received I'm encouraged to ask for more faith. God presence shows his love for me when he sent his to atone for my sin. His exemply the love for us that none should preish.His for uo was to have his son to be a meditater betweenus and him.

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"? How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you? How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

For me personally to be called "by His own glory and goodness" is thoroughly awesome. Words cannot express how I feel. But, to answer: "What does it mean?" It means everlasting life! The affect is that now I can practice HIS presence, whenever I choose; and I want to do that more often and to a greater extent. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally I find it difficult to comprehend his glory and goodness - the magnitude of it. I think these first three lessons have shown me how much more of the road I need to travel - how much more I need to grow in my relationship with him to fully appreciate what he has given me, what he has done for me. His goodness and moral excellence are of such huge magnitude it seems impossible most of the time. There is a saying that goes "how do you eat an elephant - one bite at a time". Fortunately the Lord is patient and because of his glory and goodness I can get through the elephant - eventually! {If I have offended anyone with the analogy - :unsure: please forgive me and replace "elephant" with anything else you think would fit the sentiment}.

I read all the comments with great interest and I am inspired to grow my relationship to the level of understanding of the Lord that so many of you seem to have attained. Thank you for sharing.

Julie

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

That while I was yet a sinner, living in my way, He still loves me and that nothing I do can cause Him to stop loving me.

How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you?

It causes me to check myself daily and repent for things that I may have said or done, or maybe just omitted to do. His Glory causes me to take a close look at myself a whole lot.

How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

At times I feel that I'm not worthy of His goodness, but He always remind me of His Grace because there is nothing that I can do to earn it.

Q3. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"? How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you? How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

Its the greatest privilege for me to be called by His own glory, the glory which no one can see. God is very concerned about me that He addresses me by His own glory and goodness. Its just incomprehensible why God should go to that extent. :rolleyes:

His awesome presence and glory by my side gives me confidence that when God is for me, who can be against me? :D It gives me such confidence that as in Phil 4:13, I can do all things.

His goodness and moral excellence which are part of my Spirit filled life help me walk along with Him with boldness in tricky circumstances, knowing well that He will keep me from falling into any temptations

To personally be called "by his glory and goodness " means that as "partakers of God's Divne nature" through conversion we have a standard of Holiness to live out in our Christian walk with Christ. This awsame presence tranforms our mind and our heart so that we will daily be able to combat sin and temptation and to experience victory.

God goodness and moral excellence will change us by the empowerment of the Holy Spirit and our lives will never be the same again because of our faith in Christ.

I suppose that God's goodness to call me in itself is a blessing that he has chosen me. To do his work is an awesome responsibility and I feel priveledged that he wants to use me. To feel his glory and awesome presence is something that makes me feel closer to God. His moral excellence gives me peace that decisions I make in His will are Godly.

It's not that I sought after God, but that God chose me, sought me, and "called me by His own glory and goodness". God set me, lost and undeserving, on the path of salvation. This path has become for me a path to discipleship, where I strive to please Him as I appropriate the resources He has provided for me. I used to have a life of self-indulgence, now the gospel has led me to self-control and self-denial. That's what I call big time love. I'm overwhelmed that He chose me, sought me.

Gods' glory and awesome Presence makes me feel like a balloon that's going to burst. I don't know about you, but it just makes me feel like I need to give it away, somehow, to someone else. I'm always excited about Gods' presence. God intends to transform me into the image of our Lord. How awesome is that!! "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, the He might be the first-born amoung many brethern." Romans 8:29

The knowledge of His goodness and moral excellance leads me to gratitude for the guidance and the truth I live here on earth. I need to be reminded every day of His goodness and moral excellance. It stirs up in me consideration for what is right, what is the truth. I'm walking with Christ more intimately and my knowledge of Him is growing through Godly instruction and Godly living by staying in the Word and through prayer.

All of these promote gratitude and love in me. Hallelujah!!

To be personally called means that God knew before the foundation of the world, and that He knew I would respond to His call on my life. I feel special

when I consider that I have been called out of darkness , that I might walk

in the light, when so many will walk the broad way by choice. There are times

when I read His Word, and I get a revelation, it brings a joy to my heart. When I see the moral decay in the world, and know that I am not a part of it,

it brings a feeling of gratitude to my God. Being aware of His moral excellence makes me want to walk in holiness.

It's not only the personal relationship with God, which is primary, but all the other relationships that grow out of this among the people whom He has called. It is in their faces that I see God's glory.

I am also thinking of how people in charge take care of those who are in their charge. When done well, it truly reflects the grace and goodness of God. When it is done poorly and people are being exploited, this verse gives hope that it won't be forever and His goodness will see us through it.

I find myself in the middle of this great history.

God's glory and goodness is so great and to think that we only see a small measure of it is awe inspiring. To know that he uses this glory and goodness to call me out of this wicked world to learn about him and to teach others about him is one of the greatest things. To know that his presence is in each of us makes you want to be sure that you are living your life as to please him. To show him the proper respect in all aspects of my life. His goodness and moral excellence is beyond comprehension. I try everyday to live life using his example for us as a guide. We will never be able to match his moral excellence but he did leave us the 10 commandments as a guide and so we should do our utmost in keeping these moral values.

To be called "by His own glory and goodness" means to me that as I was going my own way in sin He called me to Himself by the power of His Holy Spirit. He loved me even when I was living to please self.

GOD's glory and awesome Presence makes me aware of the presence of my sinful nature and gives me the desire to live to please Him. As I read His Word and learn more of Him I love Him more.

When I think about the purity and moral perfection of Jesus I am amazed He would personally call such a wretch as me. Then when I consider that He is God and is completely satisfied in Himself, in His own glory, the effect is overwhelming. I sometimes feel like Isaiah when I think of His Presence, "Woe is me!" or like Peter in Luke 5:8. And then I recall the way His blood has covered my sins which allows me to be in His Presence and I am all the more amazed and grateful.

How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

Others have covered these questions quite well. The only thought I can add is that when I first knelt before God and acknowledged that I was a sinner in need of forgivness, the moral perfection I felt from His presence convicted me of the breadth of transgressions of which I was truly guilty. This forced a deeper and more painful self-examination than I had expected. Afterward, I felt no condemnation, but only love.

The "goodness and moral excellence" of God is such that all sin, no matter how trivial we might think it to be, is abhorrent to Him. I know I, at least, will always fall short of the glory of God. This would be a frightening realization were it not for the salvation bought for me by the blood of Christ on the cross. The bar is high, but at least I know that even when I don't clear it, I am still loved by God.

What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

For God to call me personally is so awesome; I remember when I was younger I used to pray that all I wanted was to be in His Kingdom, even if it was to empty trash cans. He did, he called me and to a higher calling then I could have ever asked for. It means everything to me. . . it is my life, it is the air I breath, the dreams I dream, what I talk about, and what I want.

How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you?

[COLOR=blue]I am totally humbled by his presence and can not comprehend the beauty of his glory. I feel so loved when I am close to Him and so at peace.

How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you

His goodness and moral excellence effects me by wanting to perfect my life. . . not for anything else but to please him and show him how much I love him, because He first loved me. . . the only way I know to give back to him is to be obedient and to set and example so others might see Him through me. It's not that I am perfect. . . I make many mistakes and continue to sin, but I also know that I am in the process of prefection, thus this in itself is a great example

I am overwhelmed by the complexity of simple day to day life and yet have been blessed with a mind that can solve very complex problems. I wish I could just grin and relax and lay back floating in some pool of having been called but I fear that my particular calling has found a way to present complication because I thrive on the frustrations and the solutions provided both bu God's having given me my own set of solution finding equipment and those solutions that he presents before me as an Angel ready to kill me and a DONKEY brighter than I in those particular instances. He has called me for his purpose and he uses me to serve many purposes and if I will seek his ways then there is glory in the solutions and glory in the problems.

Randy

"Called by His own glory"

God could have chosen to leave mankind alone. We choose to be disobedient and He choose to call us. David, wrote "What is man that thou are mindfull of him" Being called by God is to know the true glory of God. He is not like us and will never be like us. I recently reread the Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul and realize that God is a Holy God. I could do nothing to save myself only a glorious God could choose to save me and demonstrate His glory through my life on earth.

"God's glory and God's presence" Because we live in a world of flash and cash, glamour and gold, we could be tempted to look down on ourself until we remember our God and His glory. Until we are touched by his presence in our daily living and life situation. God's glory and presence are the blessed assurance of knowing that I can be changed from the old man to the new man because God will be present in making the change for His glory

"God's goodness and God's moral excellence" It is in "bad times" that I am challenged as a believer to realize and acknowledge God's goodness. My situation does not change the goodness of God. By faith I know that all things work together for my good. I like David have God's goodness and mercy following me. Who wouldn't serve a God like that? God's goodness is often in question in this world when wars and catastrophe strikes. In the life of the believer God's goodness is evident and easily recognizable as well as the manifestation of a fallen world. God is good!!!! and not because I said it.

God's moral excellence - God writes his word in my mind so that I can understand it and in my heart so that I can obey it. God calls me to His moral excellence and what He says I must do. He encouraged me to count all joy when I am persecuted for His name sake because He knows the moral standards present today and tomorrow until He shall return. Moral excellence is the light that can not be hid.

3a. (2 Peter 1:3) What does it mean for you personally to be called "by his own glory and goodness"?

3a.) In Genesis we are told, "So God created man (me) in his own image, in the image of God he created him (me); male and female he created them (me)."

We are God's image bearers, He loves us so much that even in our fallen state he has reached out to us (me) through His Son, Jesus.

3b. (2 Peter 1:3) How does God's glory and awesome Presence affect you?

3b.) I cannot fathom His glory or His presence. I can only go to God's living book to understand those that came face to face with Him, could only cover their eyes for fear seeing Him and dying. Job states, "You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowlegde?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know." Job 42:3

3c. (2 Peter 1:3) How does his goodness and moral excellence affect you?

3c. Isaiah says it best, "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away." Only through Christ can I stand before the Almighty Father with a robe washed by the blood of Jesus. "For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Revelations 7:17" Hallejuah, Thank you Lord Jesus! :rolleyes:

Personally, being called "by His own glory and goodness" means thankfulness for me.

I am thankful that He has called me because He is good. The Lord God called me who was lost in my trepasses and sins. It means God was merciful to me.

God's glory and awesome Presence effects me by making me aware that I belong to the God of the universe and that I am called to worship, praise and obedience.

His goodness and moral excellence challenges me to live a life of goodness and moral excellence myself.