JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Barrenness vs. Christian Character

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (2 Peter 1:10) Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ?

Christian character allows others to see Christ in our lives and it says to a dying World that there is hope and that hope is in God's Son Jesus Christ. :D

What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"?

"For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (1:10-11) :D

This is one of the biggest issues in the realm of our Christian faith. Our salvation is first and foremost a GIFT, God's grace in our lives, and "all we have to do is receive it." The perfect example of this faith expressed is, I think, the thief on the cross -- converted at the moment of his death, yet just as "saved" as those of us who are brought to faith much earlier in life. The danger of stopping short of the whole counsel fo God in this area is that we end up with "easy believism". (Sorry -- I don't like "isms", but it's the best label to describe what I mean.)

A true believer, because of God's Spirit within WILL manifest some fruit. There WILL be evidence of change. We need to think about Christ's warning -- Many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord... And what is His response: "Depart from Me, I never knew you." (Mt. 7:23; 25;41).

It is interesting in our passage, in verse 8, that Peter picks up the illustration of our Lord in speaking of fruit. True believers are "good trees" and cannot produce "bad fruit" (again, Mt. 7)

I would encourage a "barren" tree to search within his or her own heart, under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Is he/she manifesting the fruit of the Spirit in greater or lesser degree. I would encourge him that not all trees bear fruit all at once, and that he/she WILL indeed produce fruit in the right season.

I think every believer should find SOME indication of a changed life -- and even the concern on the part of this "barren" believer to me is an indication that the Spirit is at work -- He is impressing upon them the need to grow, or they would not even raise the question.

Just as an extra -- I'm glad that our God is so patient with us, and that we do not need to feel guilt or despair because we do cannot YET attain perfect Christlikeness -- what a joy to look forward to that day when we will be LIKE HIM because we see Him face to face.

The book of James is about works. If you say you have faith, prove it by your deeds. Faith without works is dead faith.

Only God knows the heart, but if you are truly saved I can't understand not wanted to do Godly works.

If we live by this daily "Today I live for Christ, through Christ and because of Christ

Ron

Q4. (2 Peter 1:10) Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ? What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"?

Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ?

Because it is an indication of our being transformed into His image; 2 Cor. 3:18 and also by our character we show Jesus to others. 2 Cor. 4:11

Q4. (2 Peter 1:10) Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ? What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"?

First and foremost, we cannot help but be changed in behavior--if we really have been rescued by Christ. Being close to Him changes our thoughts and perceptions of life as it occurs to us. We will want to do what He asks of us--yes, even when that action would--in human strength--be impossible, or at least irksome.

Second, if we behave in a reprehensible manner, we throw mud on our Lord and Savior! My unbelieving daughter, while driving a group of us to a family wedding, saw a car endangering others by illegal driving. She said, "Uh-huh! That's how christians behave--and they think they are better than others! See that fish on their car? They even brag about it! But they're just ignorant and intolerant!" :angry:

We have to be careful that our lives point to Him and then fruit will come--because He will produce it! If we do not, we can be sure our "fruit" will be non-existent--worse, our lives will drive others away from Him! :o

4a.) (2 Peter 1:10) Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ?

4a.) Jesus tells us: "If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned." John 15:6

4b.) (2 Peter 1:10) What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"?

4b.) Jesus again assures us: "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day." John 6:39

A Christian will act alot different than someone that is not saved. By being saved , you will not be caught in places you once were. We should be holy and blameless in the sight of God. Church folk should be led by the Holy Spirit toward sanctification and holiness,and only if we continue in the faith will Christ present us " holy and blameless". God has chosen the " true church" ( a people chosen in Christ) for Himself.

Ephesians 2:8-9 " By grace you have been saved through faith , and not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works lest anyone should boast." You can not earn salvation, it is by the Grace of God that you are saved.

A TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL ACT DIFFERENT ONCE SAVED AND ACCEPTS THAT CHRIST IS LORD OF THEIR LIFE. CHRIST HAS CERTAIN CONDITIONS TO LIVE BY IN FAITH. WE SHOULD BE HOLY AND BLAMELESS IN THE SIGHT OF GOD. CHURCH FOLK SHOULD BE LED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT TOWARD SANCTIFICATION AND HOLINESS AND CONTINUE IN THE FAITH SO CHRIST WILL PRESENT US HOLY AND BLAMELESS BEFORE THE FATHER. SALVATION IS OFFERED TO ALL THAT WILL ASK FORGIVENESS AND ACCEPT CHRIST AS LORD OVER THEIR LIVES. GOD HAS CHOSEN THE "TRUE CHURCH" FOR HIMSELF.

EPH.2:8-9 " BY GRACE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED THROUGH FAITH, AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES; IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD, NOT OF WORKS LEST ANYONE SHOULD BOAST." YOU CAN NOT BUY OR EARN YOUR SALVATION, AS IT IS BY THE GRACE OF GOD THAT YOU ARE SAVED, AND HIS GIFT TO US FOR FOLLOWING HIM.

When a person becomes a believer and is justified, grace does not stop there. After justification and receipt of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit works with the believer to sanctify him. So, Christian maturity should continue to perfect the believer, to make him holy. Christian character is built as the sanctification process occurs. And this process never ends.

Verses 10 and 11 tell the fruitless believer how they can be sure of their salvation and the reward they will receive.

Q4. (2 Peter 1:10) Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ?

This question is somewhat perplexing because character can be developed to a certain extent without Christ. A christian's character is not optional. Jesus came and died and rose again so that those who believe on Him can have life. Life is being changed from the old nature to the new nature. It is not life without challenge, but challenge faced with faith in the one on whom we believe.

What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"? Salvation is an area that I have been struggling with for the past 4 to 5 months. I go to the county jail to minister and I wonder about the salvation of the inmates. My journey has led me to consider the term conversion. I am being led to believe that conversion takes place after profession of faith. Conversion being the development of christian character due to a change of mind to follow after the knowledge of Jesus the Lord.

Christian character is an essential indicator of being saved because it shows that we are letting Christ work in our lives to change us into that which He wants us to be. Christian character also gives us assurance of our salvation.

Ephesians 2:8 - 10 are verses that I would use to assure someone of salvation by grace through faith and not of works, it is a gift of GOD.

Why is Christian character an essential indicator of being saved or rescued by Christ? Because of how much more rotten I was before salvation. Christian character can only be developed by the Holy Spirit, whom one can only be filled with at the moment of surrendering their life to Jesus. Christian character can be obtained, only through Christ.

Our Christian character is an essential indicator of being rescued by Christ. Why? Our faith must be more than just Christian facts is must translate into a Christian experience with the results being a practice of moral discipline and spiritual growth. We do not want to be labled as "baren" and find ourselves having no drive or vision. Thus, seen by God and others as unproductive and fruitless.

To a fruitless baren believer I Peter tells us in verse 9 : " that we are blind and nearsighted, and they we have fogotten that Jesus has cleansed us from our sins".

We need to leave the old nature behind and let Holy Spirit transform us into an effective fruitful Christian. However, we have to be connected to the vine (Christ Jesus) in order to experience real maturity and spiritual growith.

In verse 10 Peter is speaking to the complacent believer who can easy fall pray to false teaching, because of their immaturity. He says if we are not working to develop the virtues mention in verses 5-7, maybe we don't belong to Him at all. Therefore, we are in need of salvation. If we are assured of our salvation then we will work hard to make our calling and election sure in Christ. By doing this, we will not be easily swade by every wind and doctrine and being led astray by the deceptive galmour that sin can provide. We will be fruitful instead of fruitless and we will see ourselves develping in Christ and souls be added to the body of Christ by our witness.

Christian character is built on top of the gift of saving grace that is received by us when we put our faith in Jesus and become believers. We must pick up our cross each day and attempt to be sinless, that is, to become more like our savior Jesus Christ. This takes a conscious, and conscientous, effort. After a time, through this effort, our lives are changed. This speaks of a soul that is not just professing, but practicing, their Christianity. John 10:10 -"I am come that they might have life, and have it more abundantly". This speaks of a promise that all who are saved by their faith in Jesus, should be able to experience a deeper, richer life-now and later.

It is essential because too many christians are labeled as hypocritical already and if we don't act like the people we say we are then others will not take the gospel of our Jesus Christ seriously.

Also our walk with the Lord is vitally important in our daily life help us keep from falling.

Regards

Dave

For our actions, our conduct says alot about our character which is evidence of our spiritual condition.

For the fruitless believer, remember Our Heavenly Father will not leave us barren, He will lift us up (taketh us away), and place us where we will be fruitfull. :rolleyes:

Being saved is only the beginning of a process which does not end until we die physically. It's like getting on a ship. If we jump off before reaching the destination we don't make it! If we stop practising music before we get to the concert platform we don't make it. That probably doesn't matter too much and there are other options for making one's way on earth. However there are no other options for reaching Heaven. Either we get on board and stay on board or we don't get there. Lot's wife left the doomed city, but she changed her mind, and didn't make it out. It can be like that with salvation. It is not something we can take for granted. It's a very precious gift to be nurtured and constantly developed. That's what we are here for! God is not mocked, and there is a sense in which we need to fear God, and be found in the right place at the right time. It's not a game we play at will - it's a life and death issue. God gives us a talent and we are supposed to use that to do business and produce other talents for Him. If we bury the talent, we know we have a hard task-master who will not admit us into His kingdom. However, if we pay attention to that talent and build it into fruitfulness - more talents, (if we can be trusted with the little) we will be trusted with more in His kingdom. Paul was most concerned that he should fulfil all that God expected of him, lest having taught everyone else, he should be found lacking. We need to have that same concern.

What Biblical assurance of salvation can you offer the fruitless, barren "believer"?

There is a passage that reads that some weed, others water, while others pick the fruit. If God has given you nothing to do but be grateful to him for your salvation then you may by having even attempted to change your life done a chore in the production that brings about the harvest. In general though I think we want to do more and I am guilty of that to the point that I covet a smile from the Father and have to watch my integrity as I seek it. I think it is important that we find our best plac of effort in the production but if we are capable of heart surgery but clening bathrooms is what is needed then we need to do a heart surgeons best on the bathroon cleaning.

Randy

A christian character should be evidenced in the life of every believer as an

indicator of the work of the Holy Spirit (2cor.5:17). We are reflectors of the

character of the Lord Jesus Christ and ambassadors for Christ with a message to a lost and dying world.

To a fruitless, barren "believer", I would show him eph. 2:8-10 where it is

made clear that we are the workmanship of God to do good works through

the grace of God given us and to explain more clearly, that God works through every believer to carry out His purposes and plans for His kingdom.

God speaks through us, loves through us, works through us etc. to carry

out His work.

As a Christian woman I want my light to shine. I want everyone to see Jesus down in me. I thank God for his salvation and His Holy spirit. To bring sinners like me to Christ. I would let a fruitless barren believer know that Jesus love them, and to read Eph 2:8. God work through us.

We are not to be passive in our salvation and sanctification. We are to continually strive to grow in our faith and in the godly qualities Peter spells out in verses 5-7. As we do so, we confirm, or establish, that which God began and which He is committed to establish in and through us. To make our calling and election sure is to make it stable. It is to set our lives on a course that cannot, and will not, be changed or moved away from the faith. It is to become so solid and stable that we will not be moved, especially by those who come to us with another gospel. Our development of Christian character indicates that we are convinced that we are saved, we believe in our salvation in Christ. We are reaping the benefit of the blessings salvation has bestowed on us. We are becoming useful and our eyes are opened to the truth. We are blessed with our desire to pursue godliness and should delight in the fact that we shun ungodliness. Our pursuit of godliness doesn

2 Pe 1:10 Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall,

Christ himself answers this question in John 15...

John 15

The Vine and the Branches

1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit [i.e. DISPLAYS NO "CHRISTIAN CHARACTER"], while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[1] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

**My encouragement to a "dry" Christian is that life in found ONLY in Christ. Cling to Him! Pray, pray, then pray again.

If our 'character' has the same qualifications as Christs 'character' then we likely are His: (have been purchased by Him) ie: peacefulness, integrity, forthrightness, obedience, lawfulness, willingness, honesty, openmendedness. These are some of the hallmarks of Christs character which we may emulate, if we have been purchased by Him. As to what assurance can be given a fruitless, barren "believer" ....! :unsure::unsure::unsure: