JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Tent of this Body

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

My opinion is, unless you are in the business, like a mortician, or a clergyman, what would you gain by pursuing this topic? (death)

Describing your earthly body as a tent reduces its worth and also points to it's lack of permanence.

The significance of Peter's referring to death as "departure" could be at that point we are (spiritually) leaving this planet, our spirit is making an "exodus".

People probably avoid talking about death because of fear. If I look at my flesh as a tent, then I can visualise a temporary tired, worn shelter with leaks and not giving much protection from any element and which moves from place to place...never reaching it's true destination. To escape such conditions and to go to the permannt mansion dwelling, constantly in the presence of Christ, is a great expectation and nothing to fear. It is the great prize at the end of our journey here.

Q1. (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death? How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating? What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

2 PE 1:13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

Death, as a subject, is often avioded out of what we see as tact and differing opinions about "life after death." Too many of us walk of eggshells, trying to not offend anyone because of his or her beliefs. However, any word of truth that is spoken from the correct motivation and in humility, will only result in blessing. (Pr 24:26 "An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips.") On the other side of "bluntness" is mercy, "blessed are those who are merciful for they shall see God," and "Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted"- Matt 5; "Weep with those who weep")... One must assess the need in the situation and discern how God might have you react- with a word of truth, or in silence, mourning and comfort.

A 'tent' of a body implies a temporary state. This is comforting as we look to the perfection promised in the future!

An "exodus" implies an escape from an undesirable situation into a better one. Though God's place for us now is on earth--where He performs His works of refining and finishing--we look forward to dwelling in His glory in heaven.

Christina Ingraham

Why does our culture avoid talking about death?

Unless you are confident in your salvation, and you know that you are a member of the kingdom of God, you will be terrified of death. With out God death is a big unknown. I think that in the back of every nonchristians mind is the nagging question "what is Christians are right, and it is either God's kingdom or hell eternally".

How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating?

Tents are temporary structures.

What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

He knows he is already a member of the kingdom of God. He is just leaving this location (earth) for a new location (heaven).

Have a grreat day is the Lord

Ron

Our culture often avoids talking about death because it is final and if one is without Christ there is no hope of resurrection. Having been reared in a Christian home knowing the truth of eternity without Christ I never wanted to discuss physical death until I received the Lord Jesus into my life. Knowing Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior I look forward to eternity with Him. As Paul wrote in II Corinthians 5:8 "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the LORD."

Describing my body as a "tent" is freeing and motivating because it is only temporary. It is not a lasting physical structure. One day my spirit will leave this "tent" with its sin and pain. My new body will be free of sin and pain.

Peter was saying that his spirit would depart from his physical body. The body would be lifeless and his spirit would be with Jesus just as we who know Him as our personal Savior will be.

In North America we find that the conversation of death is as it is taboo..

Even in the church very little is mention about death..

But as Christian we should be able to not only deal with death but be ready to talk about it.

As Christian the promise is that when we die our Etenal life begins with Our Lord and Saviour...

what a Glorious promise.

Our gratest message is that not only as we walk and serve Jesus down here on earth but we are looking forward to meet HIM face to face.

1a.) (2 Peter 1:13-15) Why does our culture avoid talking about death?

1a.) I think Paul states it best when he tells us: " The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God." Romans 8:6-7 We are created in God's image, image-bearers of God and just like Adam and Eve after they had disobeyed God; we also hide and fear our ultimate appearance before Him (God) unless we are in Christ Jesus.

1b.) (2 Peter 1:13-15) How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating?

1b.) Again Paul reassures us: "So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body sown perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Corinthians 15:42-44 We who are in Christ Jesus will be raised in glory! With eternal bodies. Hallejuah! :lol:

1c.) (2 Peter 1:13-15) What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

1c.) I think Peter reinforces what Jesus had taught, that we are but temporary visitors in the world. I think the NASB uses the word, "sojourners," which I find defined as temporary visitors, aliens. We who are in Christ Jesus are aliens on this earth. This is not our final distination. We are not home. But our true home and place will be in the presence of the Father at the great wedding feast of the saints.

Today's culture avoids taking about death for several reasons- I believe there

is a fear of death especially among unbelievers (a subject they are unable to deal with). Also, their love is for this HERE AND NOW WORLD WE LIVE in ,is their only hope, as well as not wanting God to disturb their way of life.

To describe our body as a tent is motivating, because it confirms our short

stay on this earth (to which we do not belong). Then the scripture talks about

our glorified body-like unto the Lord Jesus. Then REVELATION 21 tells us of the body we will have with no more pain,no more sorrow , no more death, for the former things are passed away. Praise God.

Our death as a departure is appropriate as the book of Romans talks about

the whole creation groaning and travailing in pain waiting for the adoption, to wit the redemption of our bodies.

servant4life

Greetings in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

(a) Why does our culture avoid talking about death?

I think that it's because we think that its the end and there is no need to think or talk about the end. But those of us that know the Word of God know better than that. As we preach and teach the Gospel it is imperative that we let the people know that there is a heaven and a hell. A life after death. This body will die and go into the ground. But the real you will live either in heaven or in hell, your choice. As children of God we know that we will receive our reward, our crown.

(B) How is describing your earthly body as a "tent" freeing and motivating?

Once you come to know that the Spirit of God lives in you and that what everyone see when they look at you is not really you, you will come to know who you really are. A pilgrim; someone that is just passing by; on your way home. And this tent that we are in is only temporary. It's good to know that I won't have to deal with the aches and pains; sickness and death. Because one day I will leave this tent that houses who and what I really am will go on and be with Jesus where I am an co-heir to the things of God. Praise God!

© What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

Peter is simply saying that he is going to the Promise Land. Thank You Jesus! That he has ran the race that was set before him. That he has done all that God frequired him to do on this earth. Now the time has come for him to rest. Isn't that beautiful? He may lay on Abraham's bosom.

I think that we avoid talking about death for the same reasons that some of us do not go to the doctor when we feel there is something wrong with us. If we do not hear bad news it will not affect us. If we do not mention death we will live on forever.

To believe that after death we will not have our earthy body would seem freeing especially to a person that had been sick and whose body had been racked with pain or disease. <_<

As long as people avoid talking about death, they can also avoid thinking and talking about what happens after death.

By describing the earthly body as a tent, it reminds us that our time on earth is transient and temporary. It motivates us to be able to deal more easily with anything knowing it's only for a short time, relative to eternity.

The symbolism of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus" reminds us of his Jewish ancestors who departed slavery in Egypt for the Promised Land. Similarly, when we depart this world for heaven we will leave behind the burdens and sins of this world that can be enslaving.

We do not talk about death because most are afraid and most believe that they will die as they have lived especially if they have not lived a righteous life.

My earthly body is just a tent. we will go back to whence I came (dust) and knowing that I know that when we reach Paradise this body will be free of sin and suffering and never grow old.

Just as the wonderful works and love of Jesus Christ he is remembered, Paul will be also becausee he carried on the message and teachings. He also will be in heaven.

Science has increased man's longevity. So many oppurtunities are there to stay alive, get around sickness. In the process, death has lost its sting. That's why we don't discuss death, but rather how to live life to the full extent.

Tent signifies temporary dwelling. Nobody lives in tents always. Its for pastime, or camps, which are for a designated period of time and then packed off. Peter decribing our bodies as 'tents' does it to point to the temporariness of this body of ours. What is motivating about this is that the future residence of our soul would be in a better place where the mortality of the present system doesn't exist.

Peter, comparing death to the exodus of the Israelites, does it to show how the Israelites went on the exodus with an expectation of going into the land flowing with milk and honey. Going to a better place. The soul, after death, would be with Jesus always praising and enjoying the presence of the Lord God Almighty. That is the positive side of death for a believer.

When our culture talks about death it is usually in reference to the newspaper reports of murder, or someone's suicide, or accidental death. Death cannot be discussed with any hope, joy or peace unless we are Christian. It reminds people of their mortality. It's the end of the aging process, and we prefer to talk about looking younger these days, including facelifts and more along those lines. Our culture revolves around youth, unfortunately for the young, who seem to think they have it all together and take no advice from their elders. If we do talk about it, it is in terms of skulls and demonic signs grafitied all around the town.

In death there is nothing to talk about, because it is considered the end. However, for the Christian it is the beginning, for us of eternity with Jesus our wonderful Lord and King and the Wedding Feast of the Lamb; for others of eternal death. We need to consider the consequences of eternal death, and do all we can to grasp other people out of its terrifying clutches.

The tent concept is delightful because it looks forward to a greater way of living, free of sin and the agonies of this world, in company with those saints who have gone before, for eternity with joy and no tears. After all we may have around seventy - 100 years here, but that is nothing to what we have with Father God - "When we've been there 10,000 years ..... We've no less days to sing God's praise that when we first begun".

Considering death as a "departure" or "exodus" , or even as a graduation! is so different from the way the world seed death. We have joy in someone's passing because of what they have to look forward to, and give thanks for all they have been to us and done here. There is some grief because we miss them, but Joy overcomes the grief, because they are far better off!

People in the world have no more hope that to remember and maybe memorialise their ancestors, sometimes to revere or worship them (as if they can help now!) We will see our loved ones again; but they, never. We can look forward with great anticipation, :D but they cannot. :ph34r::(:unsure:

If we don't talk about it, that says it means nothing--it's not frightening. but when that day comes, those who do not know Jesus find it terrifying! Believe me, I know, for as a nurse, I have seen those who do not know the Lord fight horribly against dying--clutching and clawing! And, I have seen saints die with peace on their faces!

We must either talk--and know--now or learn about it to our horror at the end of it! :o

A tent is easily packed up. We are not tied down to a permanent house on earth--with belongings and such that tend to cause more problems than they solve. We can more easily follow the leading of our Lord if we are not saddled with "things!" :D

When we depart, we leave one place for another. The same with "exodus". If we are going to another place, is it a better place or a worse place? We'd better make sure before that time comes that we are headed for the Lord's "place." :rolleyes:

We seem to be a culture that prefers talking about staying healthy, and the appetites of the flesh. Everytime I go by a cemetary I realize that that is where I am heading along with everyone else. Peter talked about his death and John spoke of it as by what means he (Peter) should glorify God. (John21:18-19). We are not to be of this culture but preparing for our departure which is certain and we know not when. We should be living each day as if it were our last but also as if it were not our last. We should be concerned with the manner of our death and that God is glorified in it. I haven't done this on a faithful basis. I want to skirt around the issue because even as a Christian and looking forward to being with my Lord I am still afraid of the unknown and the way by which I will be taken. I also know I will stand before my Lord and give an account and that is a scary thing.

Describing my body as a tent is freeing in that I am not here permanent and will one day be free of the troubles of this world. It is motivating in that I want my life while I am here to mean something for Christ. I don't know how many days or even hours I have left.

When Peter refered to his death as a departure or exodus I found that interesting because I looked up exodus and part of the definition was an emigration. I looked up emigrate and it said to leave one's country and settle in another country or region. I think leaving this earth is the fastest emigration anyone can go through. In the twinking of an eye both for believers and unbelievers.

Let's pray for each other and lets talk about our deaths so people can see the hope and confidence we have or should have and want to build up. I know I can use prayer right now and I'm sure some of you can too who are going through dark days.

God Bless!!

Jen

I believe because they do not have hope in the future life of Jesus so they are frightened in what lies ahead.

It

In today's culture, death is seen as the end of existent. It is not talk about because many are unsure or even does not know what lies ahead. There is simply a lack of believe in the after life resulting in many pursuing the here and now mentality.

The body as a tent can be interpreted as a shell that holds the million of cells together and at the expiry of this body, the tent is "dissolved" into nothingless. The resultant release of this tent set free the soul/spirit that permits the entry into heaven.

Peter has as rightly suggested by Dr Ralph, a very old man who has fought the good fight entrusted to him and the impending departure is seen by him not as finite but to enter into infinity into the presence of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Our culture avoids taking about death because for many the fear of the unknown. Even though they think about it they find it difficult to discuss its implications and their final destiny.

Our earthly body is like a tent. It is a temporary place to live and rest for a while. There is more to life then just living in a tent when you are a truly born again Christian you have the promise of eternal life in heaven that will be forever and that should be a strong motivator to persevere in the faith.

The significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus" he is saying that death does not end it all. He is telling us just like the children of Israel were told in the Old Testatment that there is a promise land in the future base on the authority of the Bible.

I don't know about the USA, but in my culture, death is unavoidable, and we do talk about it. We are forced to confront it as family members, friends, associates, surrender their lives to illness, crime and violence, road accidents. Funerals are HUGE events. The problem is that our conversations don't necessarily transition from the issue of death to important issues of: where do we go when we die? How should the inevitability of death inform the way I live my life? Even though we are surrounded by death - or maybe, because of it - we continue to march merrily along the path of materialism and hedonism.

The 'tent' concept reminds me that the life I live on earth is NOT eternal life, that there is a life after this one. It adjusts my focus away from the here and now, the temporary, with its seductions and distractions, and points me towards God's eternity. When I breathe my last breath, I do not cease to exist, but I transition to eternal life - with our without the Lord. Sobering thought, yes? So I must use the earthly time I do have to live to please the Lord, to ensure my place with Him in the hereafter.

The tent concept also adjusts my priorities. The western world's obsession with youth doesn't need to plague me, if I understand that my earthly body is just a tent. Though I will take care of my body, and be a good steward of the things the Lord has given me - talents, material possessions, family, etc., these things don't define me, because at some point, I will have to lay them down. The things that matter to the Lord - developing the fruit of the Spirit, and so on - become priority for me.

What is the significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus"?

This underscores Peter's understanding that his death means that he will be spending eternity with the Lord.

I think we avoid talking about death because we don't want to offend or frighten others, such as children. There also seems to be an unspoken fear or superstition that by talking about death we might actually bring it on. Perhaps if we all saw our bodies as a "tent" it would not be so fearsome. Because to see our bodies as a "tent" is to recognize that they are just the "outer layer," a "shell." Our true self is the spirit man within. It is this spirit man that is eternal and will go to be in the presence of Jesus when our earthly bodies expire. We will shed these earthly bodies and go on to our true calling. Just as Peter talked of his "departure" or "exodus" so we too will go on to the promised home that Jesus has prepared for us. "Home" is afterall, where we all belong.

Our culture avoids talking about death because it si seen as final. Describing my earthly body as a "tent" is freeing and motivating in that it is a temporary shelter to house my spirit until my time has come. The significance of Peter referring to his death as a "departure" or "exodus" is that when we die we leave the natural realm and enter into the spiritual one.