JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Delay in Christ's Coming

• 2 weeks later...

According to Peter, Christ's coming has been delayed because it is not the will of God that any human being perish, but that every person should have the opportunity to repent and get right with God. However, there is no delay with God because His timetable is not our timetable.

The delay(as per Peter) reveals to us the overwhelming patience and longsuffering of God in waiting upon souls to repent, having

sent his witnesses into this dark world by the direction of the Holy

Spirit.God speaks about "OTHER SHEEP " that He has that are not yet in the fold.

"

Q3. (2 Peter 3:9) According to Peter, why has Christ's coming been delayed? What does this teach us about God?

Christ's coming has not been delayed--according to God's time! His is such a different perspective than ours! We just don't comprehend that He is looking from the completed end. He knows some of us need more time to realize we must repent and come to Him for forgiveness. He loves all and wants to forgive us--but He cannot, in justice, do that as long as we refuse to come and repent of our sins! If we choose to sin and not obey Him, we are choosing to go to hell! He is not the cause for those in hell, and He tries to bring us to repentance so we don't have to suffer that! He is willing to wait for those who refuse to repent, hoping that He will be able to bring about circumstances in their lives that will lead them to acknowledge Him and repent!

It teaches us of His patience and His deep love for us! :D

Christ's coming has not been delayed. "For in just a very little while, "He Who is coming will come and will not delay." Hebrews 10:37 GOD knows when that last soul will be born from above and He will come at just the right time.

This teaches us that GOD is longsuffering and that He does not want anyone to perish. He wants everyone to receive His gift of salvation but He knows that not all will.

Q3. (2 Peter 3:9) According to Peter, why has Christ's coming been delayed? What does this teach us about God?

Christ coming has been delayed so as to give more sinners time to repent and turn to Him. God may seem slow to some believers, but that is not true. He is just not on the same timetable.

Psalm 90:4:

(2 Peter 3:9) According to Peter, why has Christ's coming been delayed?

He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (3:9b

What does this teach us about God?

That His thoughts are not the same as ours as we read in Isaiah 55:8-9, "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts'"

That He does not want to loose anyone and He will wait with the virtue of patience. Even though God is just and must judge sin, he loves us so much He gave his Son to suffer for our sins, it is done!!!

I am so greatful that it will be God judging me in the end and not manGod is patient with you. "Is patient" (NIV, NRSV) and "is longsuffering" (KJV) is the Greek verb makrothume

Q3. (2 Peter 3:9) According to Peter, why has Christ's coming been delayed?

He is patient with me/us/all.

What does this teach us about God?

Same answer. I am not sure to say that his coming has been delayed is a correct sense of what is happening though. God is interacting with us but I would not believe that what we do actually changes anything in his plans. He has known always what we will do and has rocks prepared to take our place.

Christ's return is "delayed" because God is merciful and patient with us, that we all should have ample time to repent of our sin, and be saved. Our God is loving and understanding, as we wrestle with our old sinful nature, not wanting any of us to be lost. Jesus tells us that not even He knows the hour or the day of His return, but that it would happen in the "blink of an eye" when it did happen. For my part, I am glad that He has waited, for I have not been ready long!

According to our time it appears that God is delaying His return to earth to establish His kingdom. But God operates on a different time-scale. We are not privy to that. Jesus told His disciples that not even he knows the exact time of his return. God, in his own time-scale has set it correctly. If it appears as delaying to us, we have to think that it is because of millions of his creatures are still not accepting Him as Lord and Master and worshipping other Gods. This teaches to us that God is a personification of love. He loves His creation and wants everyone to be with Him when He establishes His kingdom on this earth. It also teaches us that we should not measure God by our time-scale and give Him His due as He is an Omnipotent and Omniscient God.

3a.) (2 Peter 3:9) According to Peter, why has Christ's coming been delayed? What does this teach us about God?

3a.) I think 'MyBeloved' in their comments found it in their Scripture quotation of Hebrews 10:37. Our Omniscient God knows when He is coming, when the timing is perfect.

3b.) (2 Peter 3:9) What does this teach us about God?

3b.) The Apostle John tells: "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John 4:8

This teaches that God is long suffering and not willing that any should perish. It teaches of His total grace and mercy on the human race and His great love for us. It teaches that He has a timetable according to what He knew about creation before creation and that He is in control and sovereign over all.

God Bless!!

Jen

I believe He knew our prayers before He were formed us in the womb (isn't that a case for life) and has already been at work on them before they were uttered. Does prayer matter? Yes!!!!!

God is not slackhe will not delay beyound his appointed time. what man as slack is really long-suffering and patience because dosen't want any to perish. It teach us that will keep his promise and his appointed time to come back and judge the world.

we just need to have our house in order when he returns as a thief or a robber in the night

God does not want any to perish. He is delaying the second coming and waiting for the unsaved to come to repentance and to acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Savior. This tells us God is a loving and merciful God.

The delay of Christ's return is related to the preaching of the gospel of the kingdom to the whole world. Then the end will come. Christ believes that all He predicted can be accomplished in their generation. We must live in a tension between the imminency of Christ's coming and the fact that Christ has commanded us to keep on spreading the gospel around the world. This does not mean that all will be saved, because if a person rejects God's grace and salvation, then they will remain lost.

God has not returned because He is patient. He is not willing that anyone perish. Even though God is not willing for anyone to perish, many are willing to perish because the truth of the gospel has been destorted. Sin and repentance are no longer taught in church. Without recognizing the need to repent, where has one to place his hope of salvation. It is today that is the acceptable time to repent and be saved. I have been struggling with the gospel message that is to save for this very reason. What must I do to be saved, asked Jesus. I am going to find what Jesus told Nicodemus and study that.

God is not slow in his promise, he is patient because he does not want to destroy. He is waiting for all to attain repenance and salvation.

According to Peter, the reason Christ has delayed His coming is because 1) He is patient, 2) He is not wanting anyone to perish, and 3) He wants everyone to come to repentence. This shows us how loving and merciful God is. He desires as many as possible to come to faith in Christ before the judgment.

God is not slow,he just is not on our timetable(psalm 90:4.Jesus is waiting so that more sinners will repent and turn to Him.We must not sit and wait for Christ to return,but we should live with the realization that time is short and that we have important work to do.Be ready to meet Christ anytime,even today this hour ,this minute,this second,yet plan your course of service as though he may not return for many years.(Life Application Study Bible).

God is giving All People a chanse to come to repentance. God Loves us so much that He's not willing that any should perish. God is Precious, and doesn't do anything in a hurry :)

Sorry about my lack of focus. I will at another time come back and expand on this post, as well as the last one :)

• 3 weeks later...