JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Building Up Your Faith

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith? What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command? What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

To grow, we have to eat. Otherwise our growth will be stunted and nobody will care to look at a dwarf other than to make fun of him. To achieve something in our christian life, we have to grow. And that growth can be achieved by building up the faith. I am responsible for my body, physical and spiritual. I am doing regular meditation on the word of God and in communing with my Lord. There is no better way. Fellowshipping with like minded believers adds to your strength. I am doing this and would like to increase the time spent on the study of the word of God as there are so many things to learn and we just have 24 hours in a day, which is not at all sufficient.

2a.) (Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith?

2a.) Parents teach their children and gradually give them more responsibilities to help them grow and mature. With growth, we are entrusted with more. And more is expected of us. Such is the case with the Father. The parable of the ten minas comes to mind in Luke 19:27. "Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities."

2b.) (Jude 20a) What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command?

2b.) Prayer, study, service.

2c.) (Jude 20a) What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

2c.) Rely on God more. Seek direction in areas I have not been exercising my gifts in.

Q2. (Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith? What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command? What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

(Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith?

We have to do our part, God gives us grace but does not give us everything. God does not force anything on us it has got to come from a heart that wants more, more of him. We have got to disire to grow in our grace and knowelege. Phil 2:12 says, Work out your own salvation with fear and tembling. What we truly disire we go after.

What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command?

(Romans 10:17). I try to put into practice the Holy Habits or Spiritual Disciplines because Spiritual disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that he can transform us in the inner spirit. They allow God to do His internal work upon our hearts.

God holds us responsible to build up our own christian faith, firstly, because we have entered into a covenant with God; therefore, there is God's part and there is our part. Secondly, God and us comprise a family; He is our father and we are his adopted children. As children , we want to please our

Abba Father, and obedience is one way of doing that. Thirdly, we are instructed as children of God to "Grow in Grace" and in the knowledge of Our Lord and Saviour , Jesus Christ.

On a regular basis, we continue in bible study, fellowship, prayer and service in the body of Christ, and witness at every opportunity.Also I am requested that the Lord would help me to exercise the gifts in me that may be dormant

and unproductive at this time.

To be further "built up", I am calling on God for His strenght to walk more circumspectly, to be more obedient, to flee from all forms of temptation, to call upon Him in Spirit and in truth and mostly to trust Him when it does not seem that He is anywhere near my spiritual struggles.

If we do not exercise our faith, we cannot grow in knowledge and love of Him!

I spend time in Bible reading as well as devotionals and praying daily at the beginning of each day as well as listening to the pastor on Sundays/

I need to spend more time, listening to Him as well as praising Him! :wub:

(Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith? What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command? What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

Who else should be responsible but us for our own faith? I attend bible studies that are held in my church twice a year and I have taken part in this on-line study. I also belong to a small prayer group that meets weekly between the bible studies, and I spend an hour a week in our adoration chapel for silent prayer. Being a Catholic I have the opportunity to attend mass daily. I need to do that more often. :rolleyes:

Our salvation is a free gift from God through His Son Jesus Christ. However, if do not make any effort to grow by reading the Bible and do not make any effort to build upon our faith then we will never be mature in our relationship with Christ.

I am presently doing and inductive study of the books of 1 and 2 Peter because this method of study allows the Holy Spirit to interpret Scripture to me personally through divine revelation. Observation, interpretation and application are the key components to Inductive Bible Study.

To build myself up in the most holy faith means that I have to study the Bible and read it entirely through deductive and inductive strategies of learning that is proven to bring outstanding results and growth.

Also, a daily quiet time each day so that I allow myself to hear from God and speak to Him.

Why does God make you responsible to build up your own Christian faith? What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command? What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

My first reaction was "What? Should I not be responsible for building up my own faith?" It does strengthen us to work at building our faith and I am the first to admit faltering every time another trial comes up. We should be mature in Christ and it takes work to be mature. That's just the way it is. Otherwise we are teenagers wanting all the privileges of adulthood without the responsibility. And its not as if we do not have the Holy Spirit to guide and help us. I read the Word on a regular basis and am trying to improve my prayer life. I would realy like that area to be more of the communication of a confidant Christian instead of the faltering doubter with the Father. I am also finding that hymns build up my faith when it falters.

God Bless!!

Jen

God tell us to have faith in him through his son Jesue , if we are to receive God's promise for eternal life we will have to buil our and that a personal responsibility. to build our faith we must study God's word obey his commands. I study more than I use to and with this bible study I'm beginning to get a better understanding of the bible.

God makes us responsible because He has provided rich resources for edification. The Bible is a treasure trove of God's revelation. Today, more than ever, the Bible is readily available in multiple translations and media. In addition, with proper discernment, other resources such as Bible scholars are available to inhance understanding. We have no excuse for being ignorant of God's revelation.

I try to never miss reading at least one chapter in the Bible every day as well as participating in Bible studies such as this one.

I need to spend more time meditating on readings and study.

Q2. (Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith?

In the definition of the original languge the word 'corporate' is mentioned and I think that is an important part of the building process. Each of us has the ability to tap into God's wishes for our lives and just as Jesus often gave individuals task to perform such as washing in a stream or as God the Father gave for Abraham to go he gives us things to do that uplift us and also gives us the ability to uplift others.

What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command?

I am always fearful when I say these types of things because in having shared them with others Satan will come with circumstances to derail me. I go to church and Sunday School. I tithe and give to ministries within my church and outside of it in a very tenuos and shakey process of prayer and growth. I volonteer my time and my abilities to ministries in the community. I pray for a specific area around me and for the growth of the individuals around me of which I only know a few but I seek to know others and to offer my prayers and my help to them. I study here and I read a daily devotional based on scriptures that I also read to begin the process of calibrating my thoughts to those of God. This looks like a lot but is important to understand that even though these things are done because God has shown us through example of himself and others these things are done in a fashion such as picking up manna with which I will feed myself and my family and because when I do them in his will and without seeking more than he wishes to give then I am blessed also as I allow him to bless me. Even though I am aware of being blessed less than some in an area I have grown aware that blessings from God come with a purpose and I see those purposes for which he has given to some so that they can bear burdens for themselves and for others that are not part of his purpose for me so I take as he gives and just pray that I do not neglect his will for what I do receive.

What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better?

After many years of being ill I looked around me and thought this place is a disorganized mess and so I began to clean and organize. In doing so I am finding blessings I have forgotten. I came across thank you notes I bought and never wrote as some from ten years ago when my physical problems began that I had written after a hospital stay but did not send. I need to see and talk to my christian friends more.

I think we are responsible for our own faith because after the fall of man, that's just the way it is now. There is a world we are born into and blinded by that we must overcome. We must each one seek to know our purpose within the body of Christ, and it is only by following the light of His love and grace that we can find it. I also think that it is only by seeking to know Him better that we prove ourselves (to Him and us) that we can handle the RESPONSIBILITY and priveledge of His holy annointing and great power in our lives--that it won't be taken for granted or abused.

I do on a regular basis the things I know I must do. I must pray, read the word, be kind and love. But these things are not something I see as a chore. I WANT to. It brings me peace, especially when I don't seem to be hearing and recieving answers. I know I'm doing my part, and God has the rest, and if I'm not feeling sure and certain, it's probably because He's just allowing me the opportunity to build my faith, patience, longsuffering, and overall character. I've been with Him long enough now to KNOW he will never leave me or forsake me, and He is always planning for my good in the context of the kingdom. I am constantly thanking and praising Him.

I don't really know what else I should do. I think he has me in a quiet, solitary place right now so He can do His thing. I know I'm being formed and worked right now, and I am patiently enduring the best I can. I think that's what I'm supposed to be doing right now, because that's the fight I've got--to not let doubt, or fear, or just plain lazyness get a foothold. I'm the one responsible for keeping those things out of my mind, and I have bible verses on notecards around the house that I read that remind of God's promises.

WE MUST DEFEND AND PROPAGATE THE FAITH AND RESIST FALSE TEACHINGS. THIS REQUIRES US TO STUDY GOD'S WORD AND TO KNOW THE TRUTH AND TEACHINGS OF SCRIPTURE. BY LISTENING TO, MEDITATING ON, AND PRACTIGING THE TEACHINGS OF CHRIST.

FOR ME TO BE BUILT UP BETTER, I MUST TURN A DEAF EAR ON FALSE TEACHERS BY KNOWING THE WRITTEN SCRIPTURES AND LIVING A GODLY LIFE.

We are responsible for building up our faith. We have to want to get accurate knowledge, faith and believe. God can only show us the right and true way but if we don't have anything inside of us to work on, God can't help us.

Basically, we have to want to be righteous. To obey this command I am studying and reading scriptures daily, living the way Christians are to live and helping my fellowman by praying and talking.

When we profess to belive in Jesus Christ an in the saving grace available to us through Him, we commit ourselves to spiritual rebirth that requires us to learn about our new lives. Just as an infant must learn how to feed itself and learn to walk, so must we in our spiritual growth. I try to always devote time each day for reading the Word, and discussing with other believers. While in prayer, I attempt to listen, to give the Holy Spirit opportunity to move in me. I still have not shed myself enough of my old sinful nature-it clings to me like metal filings on a magnet. I think that I need to spent more time witnessing to non believers and to believers that are still lagging on their faith walk. Living up to that challenge will help me to mature in my faith by forcing me to exercise, not just ponder, my spiritual condition.

Q2. (Jude 20a) Why does God make you responsible to "build up" your own Christian faith?

We were created and given choice. We have what animals do not have the ability to choose. If I have chosen to believe in Jesus, I must also choose to live what I believe. I can not live what I do not know. I must build or add to what I have received. To Him that has more will be given.

What are you doing on a regular basis to obey this command? Studying the word of God. Listening for direction and opportunity to grow and follow what God has desire of me to do.

What should you begin to do that will help you be built up better? I need to listen to God and do what He says. I need to take advantage of the opportunities that God presents to me to know Him more.

I believe that God, understanding very well the creative gifts that He has put in us, wants us to operate in them. We are made in His image, imbued with creative gifts. To a major degree we create our own lives. What we sow is what we reap. When He gives us a gift He doesn't redeem it He will not take our choices back. He wants our choice to be Him on an ongoing basis, not a five minute wonder! If we did not build our own lives we'd be nothing but robots.

I'm spending time each day in prayer and in scripture, with the idea of changing my life to align it with God's word. I'm at several church meetings per week and involved in education and Christian counselling. I'm also working with some local children on an informal basis. I'm constantly marvelling God's glory, (what He is doing in our midst)

My prayer life always needs to be improved until I am unceasingly talking with God.

It is our free will to choose to believe Him and to walk with Him and this demonstrates our desire - to actively seek Him through His word. His first commandment is to "Love the Lord your God ...." . In order to love Him is to know Him and to know Him we must read His word - His love letter to us. I read the bible daily. I confess that I don't meditate on His word as much as I should but I am growing. To be better built up I should pray and meditate as soon as I am fully awake so I will be more inclined to meditate throughout the day on His word. As it is, I pray in the day and read at night.

• 2 weeks later...

It is up to me to "build up" my faith, as God has given it to me, to grow up in Him. To build up my faith I study God' Word as well as hear His Word preached. "Better" comes with time and maturity in God. So more time would better help me to buid up the faith God has bestowed on me. :D