JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Judgment upon Pharaoh

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick? What effect did this have? What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

This is interesting to me as Pharaoh intuits the reasons for all these illnesses befallen him. Abraham bases his fears on being in a land that knows no fear of God, yet Pharaoh does know this fear and acts on it.

Pharaoh, eager to wash his hands clean, gives Sarai back to Abraham and sends both on their way, hoping that God will restore health to his house by doing so.

Maybe Abraham has gained a bit more faith through it all, combining faith with his fear of God as he surely depended on his own reasonings, putting himself in the position he found himself in.

Kyeland

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick? What effect did this have? What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

Because he took another man

Because of Sarah. Its obvious that God didn't like Pharoah taking Sarah as his wife because He had different plans for Sarah and Pharoah was meddling in His affairs, though unknown.

The effect was immediate restoration of Sarah to Abraham and the restoration of their relationships.

God was trying to tell Abraham and Pharoah as well that His will is supreme. That He is a sovereign God who rules the universe according to His plans.

It had the desired effect. Obviously God would not tolerate if others meddle in His affairs.

2a.) (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

2a.) I think we can go back to the text and see God's promise to Abram: "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse.." (Genesis 12:3a) God kept His promise.

2b.) (12:17-20) What effect did this have?

2b.) This convicted the pharaoh that what he had done was wrong. In ancient times, sudden affliction or bad luck was attributed to angering the Gods or God and pharaoh knew what he had done. Maybe we should be just as simple in our lives.

2c.) (12:17-20) What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction?

2c.) Two things, to restore Sarai to Abram and second, to show paraoh that Abram was God's chosen and under His sovereign protection. Refering back to the text quoted in question 2a's answer.

2d.) (12:17-20) Did it have the desired effect?

2d.) Yes, in Egypt. But again, God had to act with Abimelech in Gerar.

The Bible says it is because he took Sarah into his concubine group, although he did not have relations with her. When the Pharaoh found out that she was Abraham's wife, he called Abraham in and berated him for his duplicity. He could have killed Abraham and then kept Sarah, but I guess he decided a god who was powerful enough and cared enough to cause this sickness (because he had even thought of taking her to wife) would be able to take revenge on him even more if he killed Abraham--someone He obviously was protecting. So, the effect was that Abraham and Sarah were able to leave--and he had obtained many livestock in the bargain. This effect was accomplished.

Perhaps God wanted to show Abraham that He can protect as well as send devastation on those, like Pharaoh, who disobey His laws. He may also have wanted to increase Abraham's belongings so perhaps he would be better able to withstand the famine.

Perhaps also, He wanted Pharaoh to know that He is the only God and put fear of Him into Pharaoh's heart. Who can know God's thoughts? But we do know (today) that He does want all persons to come to know and follow Him! If that was a part of His desire, that certainly did not come about. Sure, Pharaoh feared the power of this God, but since Egypt down through later generations still worshipped other gods, Pharaoh obviously did not change his worship of those gods. :unsure:

Pharaoh and his houshold got sick for abducting Sarah and got sick as a result, and being nothing else would stop them from their pagan ways, it is possible He was leading them to repentance. But is that so? For God also hardened Pharaoh's heart, to demonstrate His Power & Majesty over all and to all. <_<

Pharaoh and his household became sick because Pharaoh took Sarah, Abraham's wife into his harem. Eastern Kings claimed the privilege of doing this and their royal right was not resisted or questioned.

When the pharaoh learned why they were sick he called Abraham to himself and questioned him and then sent him away. The pharaoh sensed that he was being judged so he did not punish Abraham or Sarah.

GOD was rebuking Abraham and showing Him that He is still in control. In the first place GOD did not tell Abraham to go down to Egypt. Abraham was not in GOD's will at this time. If Pharaoh had not gotten sick Abraham might have wanted to stay in Egypt and forget GOD's promise to make a great nation of him.

The desired effect was accomplished.

Pharaoh and his household got sick because the Pharaoh had taken for his own what was God's. God wanted Sara to be released, so He got Pharaoh's attention in a very specific manner. Pharaoh feared for his household, and surmising that his troubles begin when Sara came into his household, he returned her to Abraham. I'm not certain how he figured out the true relationship Sara and Abraham had, but he certainly understood that he was to leave Abraham and his household alone. I thinke God was showing his power to the Egyptians and His provision to Abraham.

I find it interesting that Abraham, right from the beginning of the trip into Egypt, expected trouble. Yet he did not seek God's help to avoid it. Instead he made his own master plan to follow, which involved deception, which is why I think it was Abrahm's plan and not God's. He even profited from his deception. Does this show Abraham's human tendency to want to take matters into his own hands? Did he rely on his own wisdom a bit too much? Maybe God redeemed his (Abraham's) actions and returned Sara to show Abraham his power too and that it was working to create good for Abraham even when he move in his own flesh. God probably also took pity on poor Sara. She had obeyed her husband in what seemed like a scheme to save his own neck "They will kill me {the Egyptians} but will let you live. Say you are my sister so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you." There doesn't seem to be much concern for about what Sara's life as one of the Pharaoh's concubines would be like. And Abraham was treated well for Sara's sake. He "acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels". Certainly God had made great promises to Abraham, but wouldn't he have provided the same and more without Abraham's deception? The Pharaoh acted as an honest man according to his culture's mores. He took a woman who he had been told was a sister and, therefore, in his mind available. Abraham let her go and gained material wealth in return. Why didn't he trust God to keep him and Sara safe from the Egyptians? Why didn't he say "Lord, Sara and I are going into Egypt, Sara is a beautiful woman, and I fear what may happen to us because of her beauty. Please protect us." He didn't. He acted out of his own ideas in the matter and schemed his own scheme, and lied about who Sara was. God sent affliction and turned Sara's predicament around. The Pharaoh let loose of that which he had taken and God had not allowed him to touch Sara. The Pharaoh certainly saw signs of God's power, but it doesn't say he recognized it as God's power. Abraham must have. How many times do God's people try to take on the Pharaoh in their own strength and wisdom, only to find that God has to bail them out, and others get hurt along the way. I think God was teaching many lessons, and I think he had mercy on Sara as an obedient wife and mercy on Abraham despite his lack of trust. God's grace in action.

Q2. (12:17-20) Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

To cause them to seek answers.

What effect did this have?

They learned what they had done wrong.

What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction?

To show Pharaoh what he had done wrong as well as to show Abraham how he had misjudged God and his relationship to the unbeliever. Oh also to have him let his people go as his people were at this point the DNA of two people.

Did it have the desired effect?

I will ask when I see him in heaven since all of this was not covered in the scriptures. Of course it also is working the same lessons in us now.

Pharaoh was a strong believer in the power of gods. I suspect that he must have heard that from someone that Abraham worshiped the Almighty God and that Sarah was really his wife. Fearing this unknown god and respecting his power, he meekly brought Abraham before him to make amends before this new god would destroy him and his household even more.

This was the first of many efforts God would make to let Pharoah know that He was a mighty God that would place judgements on him for wrongdoing to the His chosen people. His desire was for Pharoah to know that He was THE LORD. Pharoah is a type for Satan/Babylon and God constantly wants to remind him who will prevail. He did achieve the desired effect to a degree because Pharoh feared Him enough to send him away without the need to make amends. However, the actual desired effect of causing Pharaoh to worship only Him has not been achieved and never will.

1.Why did pharaoh and his household get sick?

a.I believe it was a sign from the one true God

2.What effect did this have

b.The family became sick

3.what was God seeking to accomplish through this affiction

c.He wanted to show Abraham that he could trust Him to lead him in all things

4.Did it have the desired affect

d. Yes I believe it did even when Abraham did what he did God forgave him and it caused Abraham to have greater faith in the one true God.

Despite his previous encounters with God, Abraham chose to trust his own instincts when he journeyed into Egypt, and misled Pharaoh by presenting Sarah as his sister. Pharaoh and his household got sick because he had taken Sarah, the wife of Abraham, as his concubine. Up until the affliction arose, Abraham benefited greatly from this sinful arrangement as he received generous favors from Pharaoh, in appreciation for Sarah's company.

It would seem that God chose to afflict Pharaoh

Why did Pharoah and his household get sick? What effect did this have? What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction? Did it have the desired effect?

They got sick because God caused it since Pharoah took Sarai as one of his wives. In those days it seems there was a period of time for preparation for a woman to become the wife of a ruler. I don't know how long Sarai was in Pharoahs harem but God protects his own plans and is sovereign for which we should all give thanks today.

The effect was that Pharoah released Sarai back to Abram who was reproved by Pharoah and then let go. I don't know how Pharoah knew it was because of Sarai but it must have been made obvious. The desired effect was accomplished as God's power was displayed and Sarai was unharmed and returned to Abraham and they were sent on their way probably each one with a lot of reflection on what they had done and God overruled in the lives of Abram and Sarai and He protected his plans and once again his mercy and grace in our lives was exhibited.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Pharoah and his house got sick, because He had plans to touch the anointed of God , those with whom God had made a covenant to bless.

I believe Pharoah became immediately aware that the family of Abraham

was no ordinary family, and in his mind probably believed that he had

come under the curse of the God of Abraham-having seen the plague upon

his house.

I believe that God may have corrected Abraham, who sought refuge in enemy territory instead of calling on God to supply his need. Also , Abraham

obviously doubted God's protection upon him and his family, to devise such

a lie to protect his life.

territory

Correction and chastisement always brings the desired effect to the child of God.

They go sick because they had taken another man's wife. To be deceived in a sense made pharoah angry and he sent them on their way. What Abraham feared did not happen, they both lived.

Why did Pharaoh and his household get sick?

They got sick because the Pharaoh had taken Abraham's wife as his own.

What effect did this have?

It caused the Pharaoh to release Sarah and allow her and Abraham to leave in peace. This reminds me of the Pharaoh in Moses' time, when he finally let God's people go because of the death of his own son.

What was God seeking to accomplish through this affliction?

To bring Abraham and Sarah together again and fulfill his promise to Abraham.

Did it have the desired effect?

Yes it did.

Pharoah and his household got sick because of the evil Pharoah had done in taking Sarah. No matter that he was deceived by Abraham. Pharoah was bearing the brunt of God's judgment. If God had punished Abraham it would not have had the effect of bringing the evil to Pharoah's attention. God's purpose was apparently to get Abraham out of Egypt and back to the promised land where He intended Abraham to be. In addition, now Abraham had much more wealth than when he entered Egypt.

Paraoh and his family became sick because of the sin committed by Paraoh regarding Abraham's wife.

The effect was tremendous. Paraoh became angry and told them to leave.

God was trying to show that if you sin against my people there's going to be a price you have and will pay.

Q2= I THINK THIS SICKNESS CAME ON PARAOH AND HIS HOUSE BECAUSE GOD HAD TO DO SOMETHING TO BRING ABOUT A CONSCIENCE AND A SORT OF REPENTANCE FOR THE UNJUSTICE TO SARAH AND THE SIN THAT WAS BEING COMMITTED. GOD HAS MANY WAYS OF GETTING OUR ATTENTION WHEN WE ARE HEADED IN A WRONG DIRECTION INTO A PATH OF DESTRUCTION. GOD'S PURPOSE WAS FULFILLED. SARAH WAS GIVEN BACK. ABRAHAM WAS SET BACK ON A RIGHT COURSE. NOT TO MENTION THAT THE POWER OF GOD WAS ACKNOWLEDGED BY ALL.