JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God's Blessing through Much Pain

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21? Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away? How has Isaac been blessed? What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away? Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

Good Morning

I concur with Magnus on all accounts.

:D

God told Abraham that his first son, Ishmael, would be the father of a great nation also. In addition, Isaac is the son of the prophecy through which the nation of Israel is born--and ultimately the coming of the Messiah, Jesus, into the world. Jesus is the savior of the world. Ishmael is not part of this prophecy, and his wild description is fulfilled in his descendents today. Through him, Islam has come into being. I do wish Abraham had resisted Sarah in his going against God by having a son by Hagar! How much pain and suffering would have been avoided today if he had! :huh:

Abraham and his family regained peace. Surely Abraham mourned not getting to be with Ishmael, I'm sure. But, Abraham had learned that peace with God is better than any other "peace!" :(

If Ishmael had remained in the family, Isaac would probably have not developed into the man he became. He was the quiet one, and surely would not have been able to mature in the manner in which he did, if the much older Ishmael had been around to dominate him. :o

I have not really been rejected or sent away in this manner. I was once made an object of ridicule amoung our team by our leaders--which hurt me terribly. I had shared a problem with one leader, asking for her prayers, and she used it as the theme of a training session--in a manner that poked anger and derision against me! Hard to take. Needless to say, I shared nothing else with her! I came to a closer walk with the Lord because of being thrown back on Him, and through it, learned not to trust in humans for help. Only He can help us overcome problems. Sometimes this is the reason He allows these things to happen. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to say tha I am still enjoying the study though I have not had the energy to maintain the study as I would have liked. I find that at least reading the question and recalling the time in the story from memory is a help as I help others move and in my own daily seeking of God's will.

Randy

3a.) In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?

3a.)  Abrahm is given not one but two heirs.  Both being heads of nations.  Abraham was also assured that Ishmael would not perish when he and Hagar are sent away.

3b.) Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

3b.)  That peace in the household reigned.  Abraham was able to give full attention to the teaching of Isaac as he grew, so that he would be prepared to lead the family.

3c.) How has Isaac been blessed?

3c.)  He has been given the undivided attention of Abraham and the full inheritance.

3d.) What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

3d.)  I think we can see that during this period, fratricide was not uncommon.

3e.) Have you ever been rejected or sent away?

3e.)  No.  I am lucky and thankful.

3f.) Where is God in all of this?

3f.)  Fulfilling his plan.

God blessed Abraham by bringing peace and proper process back to his house, as well as bringing im the long awaited son.

In sending Ishmael away Abraham lived in a house without the tensions of the two women, especially as Ishmael was a wilful character, and likely to make big trouble.

Isaac lost a big brother - and little boys tend to adore big brothers. He certainly did not understand any of the other intricacies of the situation at the time. But he was blessed in entering into his rightful place in the family, and not having to suffer the scorn of "wild" big brother and his mother.

If he had not been sent away I think there would have continual (sometimes underlying, sometimes open, always fierce) jealousy between the boys and between the women.

Yes, I've been rejected and sent away, both from my childhood home and from two marriages (one for being "no use" to my husband because my back went on me when I had three babies to take care of, so I was sent back to mother until I could work again! And the other fortunately I was sent out of a very abusive marriage).

God is with us always. He never leaves us or forsakes any of us. He is at hand to be called upon. He cares deeply. He gives us a vision which is high over earthly limitations, exciting, enduring, powerful, demanding, honourable. Eyes on Him gives us healing and sets our feet firmly on the narrow path again. I have experienced all this. I love Him.

God has blest Abraham by reminding him of His promises, even though he has to send Hagar and Ishmael away. God is not angry with Abraham for taking things into his own hands and not waiting for Him. :rolleyes: That's God's special blessings for Abraham.

Ishmael's rough character would have certainly caused lot of trouble for Abraham's household. It was a blessing in disguise that Abraham was forced to send Hagar and Ishmael away from his home. He has peace in his home now that they are gone out. That was the blessing Abraham enjoyed in this episode. :D

Isaac was blessed because he was restored his orignal rights. If Ishmael was around, he wouldn't have got his birthright. God's promises through Isaac were fulfilled because of this family dispute. :(

I have not been sent away but rejected many times. But I believe that God is Soveriegn and He holds my future in His hands. I am secure in Him. No hassles for me. :rolleyes:

As God was in control of this particular family and guided their destinies, so also He will be in total control of our lives, if we submit to His will and let Him have the dominion in our lives.

God gave them the promised son, He preserved the life of Hagar and Ishmael, and He brought about an alliance with a pagan king which gave Abraham a favored position.

God blessed Abraham more than he realized by sending Ishmael away. I think Abraham and Isaac would have been hindered in their relationship with Ishmael around and Ishmael would have been hurt as the truth of the matter played out, day after day, in front of him. Abraham seemed to lack enthusiam for Isaac. I think that with Ishmael sent away, Isaac had the time he needed with his father to build the kind of relationship God intended for them to have. He also would not have this free spirit mocking, hurting or projecting Hagar

God blessed both sons with nations. Ishmael was sent away from the family to keep peace and harmony. God did not want the family to squabble all the time.

God promised Abraham that his line would come through Isaac.The sons would have been at odds all the time because Ishmael was like a wild donkey type of man and Isaac was more docile. They probably would have killed each other.

Abraham was blessed with more sons with other wives after Sarah died, and they too were sent away from Isaac. They were given gifts from Abrahams fortune to keep them going . Isaac was the one that God had said would get the inheritance of Abraham. God was right there through it all. God reminded him who the true heir was to be and that He(GOD) would bless Ismael also. It was all in God's plan.

God has blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21 by fulfilling His promises regarding both Isaac and Ishmael. Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), Abraham was blessed that he sent him away because he would have ruined Isaac's relationship with Abraham and God would have had to step in at some point later to achieve His desired result. Isaac has been blessed with the covenant with God forever. If Ishmael hadn't been sent away Hagar and Sarah would have made a divsion in the house and the children would have suffered and grown deeper resentment. Yes I have been rejected. God is the master planner in all of this.

1.God blessed Abraham in that his offspring would be named through Isaac,

the child of promise and also that God would bless Ismael as the head of a

nation,(although I don't understand why God would place his blessing on

what appears to be such an militant people )

2. As indicated by others, it was a blessing that Ismael was sent away because there would no doubt be feuding in the family constantly, and most

importantly, Isaac would have to fight for his birthright.

3.Answered in above.

4. I'm sure I have been rejected many times, but I have to believe that God

is trying to work out something in me , to bring me to a confidence that He

has not forgotten me, but will work it all out for my good and His glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Eventho Isaac not Ismael is the true heir to the spiritual promises of God,

He promises Abraham that He will bless Ismael also, since he is also Abraham's son. Ismael will become head of a great nation of peoples.

Ishmael is described as a 'wild donkey of a man.' Isaac's character seemed to be much more docile. If Ishmael hadn't been sent away, Isaac might not have been able to stand up against him.

By blessing both of his sons. Isaac, the seed of promise and Ishmael, a leader of nations. There may have been constant battles between the sons making life miserable for Abraham and family and may have also ended in the death of Isaac. This way, the separation enables both sons to live, and live more peaceably. Yes, I have been and God truly guided me through it. It was amazing.

I have decided not to write my answers to this question because each and everyone that have posted said everything that I wanted to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?

God kept His promise and gave Abraham his son, Isaac. He also blessed his other son, Ishmael.

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

Ishmael had a hostile attitude toward his brother and by sending him away, Abraham stopped a lot of conflict between them.

How has Isaac been blessed?

Isaac will be the only heir.

What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

There would have been a lot of fighting between the two, as Ishmael tried to share in the inheritance that rightfully belonged to Isaac. There would have been a lot of jealousy and envy between Hagar and Sarah.

Have you ever been rejected or sent away?

I don

• 2 months later...

Lesson 9 Q2

(a) God has blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21 by blessing him with the birth of Isaac to Sarah, one of God's promises to him. Also in 21:11-13 God assures Abraham that He will indeed bless Ishmael, the son of the maidservant.

(B) Abraham has been blessed that he sent Ishmael away because if he had not, there would have been strife in the family because of the character of Ishmael.

© Isaac has been blessed because Isaac seems to be easy to teach, easy to manage or discipline and submissive, therefore if Ishmael stayed around he could have learned Ishmael's ways and been drawn away from God. It may have been that Ishmael would take over Isaac and given him a hard life.

(d) If Ishmael had not been sent away there would have been a lot of hostility and the family would have been against each other. A lot of bad emotions would surface - envy, jealousy, malice, pride, etc.

(e) No, I have never been rejected or sent away. Thank you God.

(f) God is in all of those situations right there carrying us. It reminds me of "footprints in the sand". Last night, I listened to a sermon on Jesus being Crucified on Friday. It was a bad Friday but Sunday came. Amen!. They gave examples of Joseph, he had a bad Friday but then Sunday came. We have unsaved loved ones, a bad Friday but they came to the Lord, Sunday came. Someone is sick, a bad Friday but they received healing, Sunday came. Amen. God is with us. Emmanuel!

• 7 months later...

In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?

Abraham was blessed by a deeper faith that God had fulfilled his promise of a son and that God would also through that son make him the father of a great nation. God gave him another blessing by his son Ishmael who would become a nation.

Given what we know about Ishmael's character (16:12; 25:18), how has Abraham been blessed that he sent him away?

Ishmael was to grow as a man of conflict and would enjoy creating such conflict this dominating character is not what God had in mind for Issac. There would have been conflict not only between the sons but also between the mothers putting Abraham forever in the middle of conflict.

How has Isaac been blessed? Through him a great nation and eventually Christ who would offer salvation to all people.

Yes I have suffered rejection, the greatest at the hands of what I thought was my christian family for 20 years to only find you could see things there way or find yourself being pushed out of the church.

God was in it completely though I could not see that at the time, by removing myself from the constant strife of wondering what I would do or say next that would start more strife I was able to find a church with a pastor who preaches and lives by the Word of God and through the preaching and teaching of the Word as God tells us has brought me closer in a relationship with God that is not dependent on man, what he thinks or does can't change what I have and what I am through Christ

• 1 month later...

Well, it is easy to see Abraham's blessings at the beginning of Chapter 21 (Isaac's birth) and the end of the chapter (his successful negotiations with Abimelech). It is harder to see anything in mid-chapter that is a direct blessing for Abraham. We know it must have been almost more than he could bear to send Ishmael away. But he was blessed in that he knew that was what God had told him to do, instead of his just giving in to Sarah's bitterness and rage. Evidently, what was prophesied to Hagar before Ishmael's birth was fulfilled in later life (Genesis 25:18) and there would have been nothing but strife in Abraham's family for him to have to deal with had he not sent Ishmael away. As it was, Ishmael must have somehow stayed in contact because we learn later that he came back to help Isaac bury Abraham. Isaac was blessed because it is through his line that God's promise to Abraham comes about. Yes, I personally have faced rejection from my mother. I was an adult before I realized that my mother controlled my father through me. When I refused to play the game, she rejected me. She went to her grave calling me names. Now that hurts! It has only been through God's grace and Jesus' love for me that I am even partially healed. Sometimes the old hurts are brought back to mind, but I can wipe away my tears in a hurry when I remember that God loves me. I can even think now that the rejection may have been a blessing because I cherish my own children and make sure that nothing but love and affection enters our relationships.

• 1 year later...

God has blessed Abraham by making a difficult decision for him, assuring him that Ishmael will be fine.

From the prophecy concerning Ishmael we know that he would become a rascal and quite probably a threat to Issac for supplanting him as heir. By being sent away a problem of choice for Abraham has been eliminated and Issac's future has been secured, a blessing for both.

I have been rejected and sent away at times in my life. The result was that I became a born again Christian and Jesus is Lord of my life. So, I see where Yahweh has carefully orchestrated my path to bring me to where He wants me to be. He just made it possible for this hardhead to get there.

• 4 months later...

He has blessed him with Isaac. He has blessed him with a plan for Ishmael. He has blessed him with another wife and 6 more chilcren. And he has blessed him with a plan for his family.

He was blessed in sending Ishmael away because Ishmael's negative influences would not be passed on to others in his family. This is also a blessing for Isaac.

God is with us during good times and bad. He has a plan for us, a plan to prosper us.

• 3 months later...

Q3. In what ways has God blessed Abraham in this difficult chapter 21?

Abraham is blessed because as his son Ishmael will also be blessed even though he had to send him away.

Abraham was blessed having sent Ishmael away because it was foretold that he would be a wild man, a terror to those around him.

How has Isaac been blessed?

Isaac was blessed having the pleasure of being respected as the sole heir.

What might have happened if Ishmael hadn't been sent away?

I believe that if Ishmael had stayed he would have made life for Isaac one of torture, always provoking him. And there could have been a fight for inheritance of their father's property.

Have you ever been rejected or sent away? Were is God in all of this?

No, I have never been rejected or sent away. In all situations, God is right there.