JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Servant's Prayer

• 1 month later...

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God. Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer.

I think the servant offered a good prayer because I don't know how many girls would want to water 10 camels. Anyway he offered the prayer and was delighted with the answer. Obviously he thought she was the right girl besides the fact that she was beautiful and he trusted God to answer his prayer. Abraham said God would send his angel before him Gen.24:7 and I believe He did just that.The perfect girl came out at the perfect time and answered in the perfect way.

God promised Abraham a blessing to the world through his seed Isaac and Rebecca was the answer to the servants prayer hasty or not.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

It seems to show that he had learned from Abraham to believe in and trust the one Holy God to help him when in need.

I don't see where it says he was hasty in his praying--last minute, perhaps. But, also, perhaps just a continuation of his prayer as he journeyed there.

The proof of his conviction that God would help him is that God did help him. Why else did this girl come at just that right time, and say the things that the servant asked as a sign to tell him that this is the right one for Izaak?! :rolleyes:

So many times, we are apt to consider what God has done to be merely a happy happenstance! How many times He has given me help that I could have brushed off as coincidence, but I've learned to expect and look for His answers! He never fails us! We fail to recognize His touch on our lives! :wub:

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

I think it shows faith and trust in God. All the servant is asking by the test of God is an affirmation. Affirmation is a good thing, this servant wants to make sure it is of God

3a.) (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

3a.) I think the servant is deperately wishing to fulfill his master's assignment and the servant's prayer reflects on how difficult a task it as. Remember, he had given an oath to Abraham. His word was important.

3b.) (24:12-14) Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer?

3b.) He prayed and God answered with whom He had picked for Isaac. The servant was the willing instrument.

3c.) (24:12-14) If not, then how?

3c.) The prayer may appear hasty, but it is from the heart and spontaneous. The servant is expressing his concerns and laying them before God.

I don't see the servant's prayer as a "test of God". The servant once there just prayed a specific prayer, that he may know for sure which girl was to be Isaac's wife. Obviously the "right" girl came, and she came first, and he knew by the specifics of his prayer. His prayer was not hasty, it was well thought of in the moment, very specific. Nothing wrong with that.

The servant came under an oath to his master. So he must have been praying earnestly to the God of his master to make this trip a successful one. :rolleyes: Upon arriving in Nahor, he wants an assurance from God that he will send the right girl for selection. So has prays that simple prayer asking the Lord to fulfil the conditions laid down. This servant has learnt to have faith in the Lord just as his master. And the Lord answers his faith too. The servants prayer was faith based. He knew that the Lord will answer him. So he makes the conditions and in the process, gets the correct girl. The prayer was not hasty, but a well thought out simple prayer, seeking answers. :) How many times we beat around the bush, giving all kinds of excuses for our demands and supplications. We should learn to be direct with the Lord. He knows our needs. We need to be faithful in communion and fellowship with the Lord for results. :P

In reality, the servant sought to test the woman rather than God.

God directs men to get under way through the Scriptures. Nowhere is Abraham given a direct imperative to seek a wife for his son, but he does act on the basis of a clear inference from revelation. Abraham was to become a mighty nation through his son Isaac. Obviously Isaac must have children, and this necessitated a wife. Since his offspring would need to be faithful to God and to keep His covenant, the wife would need to be a godly woman. This implied that she could not be a Canaanite. Also, since God had promised

1.The servant's prayer is a very appropriate one, because he knew

he was on a god-sent mission , inasmuch as Abraham told him that

he would be guided by an angel. Quite often, I believe that God answers our prayers with the help of others being involved. If we

focus too much on Abraham, we miss the work that God is doing in

the servant in being part of the overall will of God. All things and persons WORK TOGETHER for good to those who love God and are

called according to His purpose.

2. I,also, do not believe his prayer to be hasty. The servant had a

long journey, and definitely wanted to obey his master's orders.

I'm sure having been in the house of Abraham, that the servant was

very aware of the hand of God upon the House of Abraham. I would

say that the servant wanting to do the right thing and not do things

amiss, would have called on God unceasingly for the success of his

journey to find a wife for Isaac. He certainly did find the right girl, for

what woman would have responded the way Rebekah did, knowing

all the work that was involved, as well as the servant being a stranger.

A believe the servant's prayer was one of faith and trust.

I believe he found the right girl because not everyone would want to draw water for 10 thirsty camels.

His prayer may have seem hasty, but I'm sure he must have been praying concerning the matter of a wife for Isaac thruout his journey.

I think the prayer was okay because God already had chosen the woman that Isaac was to have for his wife. It was good that the servant was obedient and trusted God for the answer.The angel of God had gone before him and spoke to Rebekah and she was obedient to respond to the angel. The servant watched Abraham so had alot of the same qualities that Abraham did in trusting and having the faith in God.

Jesus said that a wicked and corrupt generation seeks for a sign, however, this man had total faith in God, and wasn't asking for any godlike manifestations. He was seeking that character would be revealed to him. It was himself he doubted, and the stakes were too high for him to be wrong. Considering the task at hand and what all was at stake, the servant wanted peace and confirmation in his own mind, and had faith that God would provide it. I don't think it was hasty. With all that pressure, I think it was very human.

• 3 weeks later...

While Abraham told the servant an angel would go before him, how would the servant know which girl the angel would choose? Therefore, he had to establish some way of knowing which girl the angel would choose. God did not rebuke him for doing this but honored his request thus demonstrating that God was not angry but understanding and merciful.

• 2 months later...

I think the servant's prayer was probably brought to his mind by God and by seeing it answered it gave him reassurance that this was the right girl.

Lesson 11 Q 3

(a) The servant's prayer and test of God is the servant trusted Abraham's God and I believed passed the test of God because he prayed for guidance.

(B) I am not sure this was a hasty prayer, for as soon as he got to the well he prayed for guidance. I believe the servant would have found the right girl even if he didn't pray because "The Lord', already told Abraham that he would send his anel before his servant to get a wife for Isaac. All Abraham's servant had to do was trust in Abraham's God with all his "heart and lean not on his own understanding". (Proverbs 3)

• 7 months later...

What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God? Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

It doesn't take long elegant prayers to get God's attention just a prayer from an earnest heart seeking an answer within God's will and not our own **** desires. (**** being anything that boost us up material or otherwise that doesn't glorify God.) He made his request known ands it was for his master needs not his own and he was asking for God's will not his own to point out the right person.

Yes God answered his prayer, it was made with a truthful heart and desire that flesh not pick the woman so God sent the one he needed. There are times God doesn't want us to fleece him but to just step out on faith and believe but there are times when we feel the flesh may be to much involved I believe to fleece the Lord is a good thing.

• 1 month later...

In one way, the servant's prayer almost seems like the prayers some people pray when they go to the Bible and say, "God will give me the answer to my prayer by guiding me to the correct scripture when I open the book." Most of us know when we do that, we're likely to get "the begats" or something similar. However, we must remember that the servant was there on faith--his faith and that of his master. To me, that was simply his way of asking God's help--and God must have been expecting it. I think he made sure the right girl was there.

• 4 weeks later...

At this time God has his purpose. To carry on his chose family he must have a strong wife for Issac. The Servant' s prayer is a conformation of what must happen. This family will be come a nation and the chosen nation only with the guidance of God and the Faith of the husband and the strong will of this chosen wife. Often the position of the wife is down played, but a careful reading of scripture leads me to believe these Old Testment accounts are about the wife as much or more than the husband.

Mike

• 1 year later...

I feel the servants prayer was more of one seeking confirmation so as to satistfy Abraham's very specific requirements. Much like Gideon and the fleece. I do think that the Lord enjoys it when we seek to prove Him. It is active communion with Him and gives Him a chance to be intimate with us. In this case the Lord provided exactly what the faithful Abraham needed and took the heat off of the uncertain servant.

• 3 months later...

Q3 (24:12-14) What do you think of the servant's prayer and test of God?

The servant's prayer seems to me to be asking for a confirmation from God. I don't really interpret this is a test of God. I know it is a delight to be struggling with a decision and then to receive a sign that I believe to be a confirmation from God.

Did the servant find the right girl on the basis of his hasty prayer? If not, then how?

The right girl was found on the basis of God's will as is everything that happens. We pray to align our will with God's will. ;)

• 3 weeks later...