JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Abraham's Achievements

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham was known as the father of faith, being a friend of God and starting the Jewish nation. He was in many circumstances where he could have given up and he didn't. I guess right now that inspires me the most. Our going on is crucial to others even when things look bleak.

I guess what stands out for me right now is his first step of faith in leaving the Ur of the Chaldees and all he knew and following God and His calling.

God Bless you all

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

And God bless Emma Kate born Dec. 5, 2004 to my daughter Beth and her husband Burton.

Of Abraham's achievements, his faith and obedience inspires me the most because as much as I want to be able to do that myslef, my "rational" mind wants to kick in and make me doubt. As I reflect on his life, his unconditional love for God stands out for me. He gave up/would give up every earthly possession he cared about at the command/desire of God.

Q4. Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

Ooooh! That's a hard one! Let's see. I guess it would be that he listened to God--and heard Him plainly--and then obeyed! In so many instances, from leaving his home country to go who-knew-where, to being willing to sacrifice his son at God's word, to apparently bringing even his servant to know the Lord God! What a life! Sure, he made mistakes. Who doesn't? But, the overall life he lived was one at God's beck and call! Would that I would be so true to Him! :wub:

4a.) Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most?

4a.) I guess, I would not call this an achievement, but his complete trust and faith in not withholding his son Isaac.

4b.) As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

4b.) He was no one special, but God used him in a special way. Seems to be the theme of the Bible. Little people are used in giant ways by our Father if we step out in obedience and faith.

Q4. Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most?

That he followed God no matter what or where it took him. He listened to God and obeyed.

As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

His faith in our Lord and how it continues to grow throughout his life and life

:wub:

Abraham's life was full, as I place myself there in thought and reflect on his life through my own, it's not enough to say "never a dull moment". Praise God I don't see where there is any one part of his life mentioned or imagined that is more significant then the other. Weaved in a labour of love & war. I am blessed. and redeemed by The Blood Of Our Lord Jesus! :wub:

Achievements wise, Abraham started the worship of Yahweh, separated from his idol worshipping clan. He remained faithful throught his life to the one God, Yahweh. In my mind this is the most important achievement of his life. His worship influenced even his servant, who was successful in his mission mainly due to the guidance of the Holy Spirit in his life. Even the servant worshipped openly the God of Abraham. What a tremendous influence Abraham had on his people regarding the worship of Yahweh.

The outstanding effect of Abraham's life is his obedience and faith. The more he obeyed, the more faithful he became and vice versa. This is a very important lesson for each of us. The more faithful we are to our Lord, the more obedient we become. :D This is a basic function of a Christian. Obey and serve faithfully. May the Lord implant these characteristic in us.

The thing that inspires me most about Abraham's life was his willingness to leave his home in Ur of Chaldees, multiple gods were worshipped, in order to follow the One True God.

1. The achievement of Abraham that inspired me most was

the offering up of Isaac, in obedience to God. This was a

step of faith that most christians could not comprehend.

2.The thing which stands out of me as I reflect on Abraham's life is the readiness of Abraham to obey the

voice of God especially when the way seemed unclear.

I just love it that, with all the wealth he acquired, he retained his faith and a lovely quality of innocence. It always seems that wealth (= power these days) corrupts. He was a wealthy and powerful man with a whole army at his disposal, yet he values his relationship with God above all that. He deals with his less powerful neighbours with respect and wins their respect in so doing (in the sense that they accept that he is no threat to them). He maintains complete integrity in all his dealings - I really like that, and do not always see it in so-called Christian people which saddens me deeply. Integrity and complete honesty in our dealings with each other as well as with people outside the faith is something we have to preach about and get back to these days. With all that he had going for him in the world's sense, still obedience to God was the most important facet of his life. This was amazing, because to all intents and purposes he was the first man who ever believed in the one true God. Without a Bible to guide him, he learned so very much about relating to God that it puts us all to shame! How this relationship was first initiated would be a great story in itself. He must have thought about things a great deal and come to this conclusion from the evidence all around him (Romans 2) and sought God. The Bible says seek and you shall find, and Abraham did! He must have been very individualist and brave to go against all he was brought up with, and stand by his one true God, and also teach his children the same faith he learned from his interaction with God. It's one of the most amazing stories of all time. God was just looking for one man like that so He could begin his program of redemption on the earth. This "Friend of God" became efficacious in the salvation of all mankind in so far as he co-operated with God in His great and mighty plan - probably unknowingly. We have a great deal to thank father Abraham for!

For Abraham to talk to God on a one on one basis and to respond immediately. Sometimes I get in a hurry and fail to wait for Him to answer, tho I know He is a right now God.

The one that most stands out is his faith in God. Even as familiar as God was to Abraham, Abraham never gave up his reverency to God's Holiness. He had complete trust in God to complete all His promises as were stated.

4b.) As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

I suspect that like many the fact that dispite failing many times in his life (e.g. lying about the status of Sarah more than once)Abraham was still blest by God. If we are faithful to God and acknowlege when we mess up, He will be faithful to us and bless us. This has been my experience so far in life.

May you know the peace of the Lord this season and always.

JohnK-Cov

Faith and obedience.

• 3 weeks later...

The initial obedience of leaving everything you know and moving on to a place unknown. This stepping out in faith requires a total reliance on God's guidance. Abraham took his wife and servants and materials and moved across foreign territories not knowing where he was going but being obedient nonetheless. This to me is soooo awesome. I'm sure all that knew him said "are you crazy?" and "who is this God?". This initial step forward into the unknown required much faith, strength and total submission to God's will. The sacrifice of his son was also awe inspiring however, he had grown so strong in his faith that he clung to God's promise that Isaac would be resurrected or saved due to the promise of him being a father of many. I'm not trying to lessen the event as it too demonstrates awesome faith, however, the initial leap of faith was most awesome to me.

• 2 months later...

Lesson 11 Q 4

(a) Abraham's achievements that inspires me the most:

(1) Abraham hears God's voice and talks to God personally, something I want more in my life through the mediation of Jesus Christ and the presence of the Holy Spirit. What a privilege indeed!

(2) Abraham obeys immediately, something that I fail to do sometimes, leaving me not to do it because I think it through to much. I give Satan a foothold, therefore I want to be like Abraham, no time to think.

(B) As I reflect on Abraham's life, what stands out for me and always did is Abraham surrenders his son, Isaac to God. What faith. Abraham gives himself completely to God. Amen!

• 7 months later...

Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

I think his humbleness, he could have got prideful over his being close enough to God to hear him and talk with him. So many today begin to worship the gift instead of the giver of the gifts and forget we are nothing unless God is in us doing it through us. I love the way he sought peace with all men but had the faith and strength to war when needed.

From the very beginning he had faith that leaving his homeland and family would only reap riches with God and it did.

• 1 month later...

What impresses me the most is Abraham's true friendship with God. He could hear God. He could talk with God. Can you think of anything more awesome?? What really gets to me is that I know that we, too, can hear God and talk with Him. We, too, can have God as our best friend. I drove 52 miles one-way to my job for five years. During that time, I truly communed with God. I talked with him on the way to work and then on the way back. My friends and relatives tried to give me audio books and music tapes to pass my time. I laid them aside and talked to God instead. When I began a job 10 minutes away from my home, it didn't take me too long to realize that I was missing my time with God. I was no longer in my little cocoon two hours per day. I was letting outside "static" and my "busy-ness" interfere with our friendship. Have you ever lost friends like that really? Special bonds are formed through mutual interests, careers, etc. Then a change occurs in your lives so that the bonds are broken. You go one way. Your friend goes another. As for me, God called me back. But as I think about Abraham, I think about how easily he could have gone his way without God. He had been given material wealth. You know that he had "the static and busy-ness" of running his enterprises. But Abraham's faith just grew stronger. God grant that I walk in the faith of Abraham and never move so far that He is not within earshot!

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham was not only the father of the Hebrew nation he also set down the primise of moral monotheism. Though we find flaws in Abraham's character we must remember the culture from which he came. This was the begining of a new dimension in morality. We find his wife Sarah taking control of her life. We may not always agree with her ways we have to respect her in light of the culture. Abraham started the concept that lead to our present moral monotheism.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his only son, his legacy, to me, is his most inspirational accomplishment. This total and complete faith and obedience to God is incredible and certainly puts my walk, and how far I need to go, in perspective.