JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear and a Bold Witness

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we fear what others might think of us or do to us, we are then putting more value on them than on God. There's no boldness in fear. Fears are demonic chokeholds that prevent us from fully speaking/doing God's work. The only good fear is fear of God. Losing our life so Christ can live in us allows us to operate at God's level. It isn't us but God through us. As God's ways are higher than ours, we see a more abundant life produced by His Spirit than we could ever do on our own. For example, we can never love someone who hates us, but Christ in us could and to experience His love for others through us must be absolutely the most abundant life filled experience one could hope for. It's all about LOVE with God.

I try to witness whenever I can. I don't feel comfortable just preaching publicly but when I'm in a conversation with someone I pray for God to give me the opportunity to witness and He does, and so I do. I usually witness one-on-one. I don't feel comfortable witnessing another way. I can't say that it's fear, I just want it to be sincere otherwise I might scare people away from God's kingdom and be responsible for more lost souls than saved souls. I know that when I get baptized by the Holy Spirit I'll be much, much more effective. To-date I've not yet been baptized by the Holy Spirit. I have the Holy Spirit in me but I haven't received baptism. I know that Jesus didn't start His ministry until after He was baptized by the Holy Spirit and He commanded the apostles to stay in Jerusalem until they received their baptism.

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

We are intimidated by past experiences of people putting us down for believing such ancient myths!! So, we hold back--even when we feel Him telling us to speak. Not always, but enough times to make me blush! Why fear people? Because we are surrounded by them and almost everyone wants to be liked by those around us. But, choosing the world over God's way is so short sighted! What could the world give us that could begin to compare with God's gift to us--salvation!? How could I dare to downgrade the tremendous gift Jesus gave me by his horrible, excruciating death on the cross--to save me from sin and give me a free ticket to heaven!? Lord, enable me to forget all except Your call to be a witness for You--both in my living and in my words! :wub:

Losing my life for Christ's sake brings the surprising joy of His Presence and His "well done" that I covet far above any plaudits of the world! And the joy of looking forward to being in His Presence and serving Him in Heaven makes any earthly "loss" meaningless.

What fear keeps me silent? The fear that my words will come across as judgmental rather than loving concern for the person's future!, the fear of saying or doing something that will give unbelievers a chance to think that serving God is not worthwhile --that it "doesn't pay"! Or in some way my actions do not mirror the Lord God and His love for us--as well as His anger at our sinning. Beyond all else, I do not want to sling mud on His glory by my actions--or inactions! :o

One thing I fear is that when I'm a bold witness then people expect me to be perfect. I'm a Christian, not Christ himself! I am imperfect and a sinner, but I still strive to set a good example and show Christ's love. I worry that when I fall short of that goal, it reflects back on Christ and his love.

His love for me is so wonderful! - Why can't I live only for him and not fall short???

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness? Why does fear of people bind our tongues? How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life? What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

I find that I am often afraid that I won't have all the right answers, even though I know the Holy Spirit will guide me. I am also often afraid to appear that I am judging, even though I know that their eternal destiny is involved. I am also often afraid of losing a friendship, even though I know that their salvation would create an eternal friendship. Often I find it hard to put into practice what I know in my heart is right. Does fear bind my tongue? I am afraid that often it does, even though I know better.

Lord may your Spirit help me to be a bold witness today and experience the abundant life which you have for me. Bring someone into my life today with whom I can share the Gospel and your love for them.

We all want to be liked and accepted by people we love and even those we just meet. Today in this world faith in Jesus is not popular - - therefore, we will say God alot, but avoid the "Jesus" word. I think we are fearful of saying the wrong thing or juding people or condeming. The key to all those statements is the "i/we" problem. It is not about us, it is about allowing the Holy Spirit to work through us - - we just have to show up - - and the Spirit will do the rest.

Losing our life means exactly the above, allow God's Spirit to take over - - being willing to die for the truth of God -- we are here to glorify His kingdom - - if we are obedient to that truth, then we will receive earthly blessings and the greatest blessings of eternal life with the Savior.

Fear of rejection is the greatest - of fear of falling short - - not showing others how awesome and great God is.

3a.) (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

3a.) John writes: "In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (1 John 4: 17-18) We are not showing the agape love that Jesus had for us. That self-giving love. We (I) am focused in on myself not keeping my eyes on Jesus.

3b.) (1:20-21) Why does fear of people bind our tongues?

3b.) Solomon writes: "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe." (Proverbs 30:25) We (I) am not fully trusting in the LORD.

3c.) (1:20-21) How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

3c.) Paul asks: "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." (Ephesians 6: 19-20) I pray for this also.

3d.) (1:20-21) What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

3d.) Many of the points addressed in the study. But I keep falling back on what Martin Luther quoted: Preach the Gospel daily and if necessary, USE WORDS! AMEN!

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

it use to, not wanting to be the only one or standing out in the crowd

Why does fear of people bind our tongues?

not wanting to be disliked

How does "losing our life" for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

it gives us life ever lasting (in heaven) and the life we have here will be a more forfilled one

What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

NONE!

Lesson 2 Q 3

(a) Fear can keep us from being a bold witness by when we are afraid, we will not step out and declare the Gospel. Fear keeps us from exalting Christ in our body. We keep to ourselves afraid of what others might think, therefore not being a witness for Christ.

(B) Fear of people bind our tongues because we want to be liked by everyone. We are afraid to speak up because people may not like what we are saying. The human side of us wants praise from those around us.

© "losing our life", for Christ's sake actually gives us an abundant life by one day we will be with Christ if we "lose our life" and live for Christ today. Amen!

(d) The fear that is keeping me from clear witness is education. I have only grade 11 and I know of so many that have degrees behind their names that it makes me feel I know little and I feel so small in their presence. Also I need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (please pray for this to happen) because I know that it brings power, to be bold and to be a great witness. I am learning from preachers and Scripture that God can use the educated as well as the uneducated. With God all things are possible. Amen?

In this country not many of us are asked to loose our actual physical life as part of our witness, but fear of rejection is a powerful fear. The political climate in North America is full of animousity toward Christianity. These voices are vocal and scathing and are intimidating. Here we "lose our life" by losing our social accepatability. However as Christians if we remain silent about Our Lord we are of all people most miserable because we know we are letting down the One who loves us the most. Joy and peace in the Holy Spirit comes as a natural fruit when we set about to please our Creator.

As others have already said, fear of rejection or that someone may dislike us can bind our tongues so that we do not witness boldly for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

"Losing our life" for Christ, letting Him have full control of our life will give us an abundant life.

Finding an opening in the conversation keeps me from a clear witness. I find that if there is an opening concerning things of the Lord the words will flow. I love the Lord Jesus and want to be an effective witness for Him.

Fear can keep us from being a bold witness because fear is of the devil and he does not want us to proclaim God's truth. The devil will whisper to us that they don't want to hear, that they will think less of us, when we get caught up in this we will not witness as we should. Fear is false evidence appearing real.

Fear of people will keep us from witnessing because most people are people pleasers and want to be liked by people, so they are afraid they will lose friends or make enemies if they witness. We are not to put people first we are to put God first, therefore we should not be concerned with how people feel. It is our responsibility to put the Word out there, but it is God's responsibility on if they receive it or not. We are not responsible for the reaction that people give.

When we lose our life for Christ we are surrendering our life to Christ for His purpose and Christ knows what is best for us and the plan He has for our life, therefore our life will be more abundant. Eternally speaking when we give our life to Christ we are assured life eternal with Him.

We are to show Christ as perfect, not ourselves. When our focus is off we are not witnessing for Jesus and are full of fear that we will fail Him or be disliked by others. We forget that we only play a part in the salvation of others - it is the work of God, not us, and we too often try to take it all on. Losing our life for Christ is letting Him be in control and only do what He asks of us in each situation. We then have a freer, more abundant life because the limits we place on ourselves are lifted into God's hand - and He has no limits.

WE ARE TO BE A WITNESS - TO LIVE OUT OUR LOVE FOR CHRIST AND OUR FAITH IN HIM - THIS IS FAR MORE EFFECTIVE AND LESS INTIMIDATING THAN TALKING TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT.

I believe our fear comes often from trying to talk about something that is not yet settled itself in our hearts - we have not yet become what we say we believe and so it is hard to convince others of it.

Q3. (1:20-21) How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

Fear is very strong when you let it control you. Whether it's fear of loosing a "friend", being looked at as "one of those", watched to see when you mess up (and we all do. Being a christian doesn't make us perfect, it makes us forgiven but it also doesn't give us the right to mistreat others. I'm sorry that's a whole other story.) The thing is that we need to get rid of whatever fear it is that's holding us back and just share Jesus' love to others. I try real hard to walk the walk so that people will ask what's up with me, that way I can tell them that it isn't me, it's Jesus.

Same as above.

Well, once we live for Christ then we get everything that He has for us here and now but also when we leave this place and get to go to heaven and be with our Father. That is just too cool.

What fear is keeping your from clear witness?

As I said above I try to live as Jesus would have me live and to do that in this sinful world people see the difference. I let them come to me rather than me going to them. I think if I have a fear it is that I don't want to push people away from Jesus. People around me know that I love God and that I live by my belief and that if they want to talk about either of those things I am always available.

Fear is simply paralyzing. It focuses on ME. Fear of being ridiculed or rejected will cause me to pull back from drawing attention to myself, or putting myself at risk by speaking out. The opposite choice to fear is faith. That focuses on GOD.

If I really believe that my life is now hidden with Christ in God, that should change my perspective. Since I am covered with Christ, then to speak as a bold witness is to draw attention to God, not myself. Any ridicule or rejection is actually of Him. Too often I don't really believe that in practical life or I resist being hidden because I

Fear of being ridiculed, and of what other people will say. Fear of being rejected and not accepted, we hesitate to speak our beliefs. Now with all the "laws" fewer people dare to say what is in their hearts. Losing our life for Christ gives us a boldness to speak and courage to witness for Him. We allow Christ to control our lives and not fearing man and what they will say.

It is human nature for us to want to be accepted and liked. Sometimes the fear of rejection will stop us from witnessing to others.

I can only speak for personal reasons of my own. My fear is that I will be unable to answer questions that I may be asked. I know this fear is Satan trying to keep me from witnessing, and I struggle to not listen to his voice.

To

Fear can keep us from living and speaking as we know we should. We are afraid of being un-popular, we are afraid of being scorned and ridiculed, we are afraid of reprisal, we are afraid of being embarrassed-so we keep silent. I believe that "losing our life" for Christ can be anything from subordinating our self-will to the will of God, to actually being martyred for Christ Jesus. My biggest fear is that in an attempt to witness, I will fall short and fail to give God the glory due Him.

Fear prevents us from being a bold witness because we may not live in a way pleasing to God or we may not say the words we should be saying. Fear of people can intimidate us to such a point that we don't speak as boldly as we should or we soften our words so as not to offend but in so doing we deny the truth. Fear can cause us to think more highly of ourselves and what consequences we might suffer from coworkers, neighbors or even strangers. Fear causes us to shift our focus from Jesus to ourselves. My own fear is that of loneliness; being ostracized at work and family.

How can fear keep us from being a bold witness?

Fear is paralyzing until we conquer it. Paul lived with fear but he mastered the fear and not vice versa. I find fear to be constantly present in the background but the funny thing is that I never know when it will strike. Just when I think that I 'm learning boldness I find that out of nowhere fear strikes. It takes prayer.

Why DOES fear of people bind our tongues. Look who we are children of. I don't understand it when I look at God and who HE is. It boggles the mind.

How does losing our life for Christ's sake actually give us an abundant life?

When we focus on Christ and live for Him we are freed from wordly views and pressures that restrict and enslave.

What fear is keeping me from a clear witness?

Like I said earlier fear can and does pop up at any time.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Strangely work wise I tend to be quite bold. I find myself standing up for all sorts of things. I had one group of teenagers surprised wit my answer about what I would do if I was on some kind of life support system just waiting to die. When I said that I believed that I would not find myself in that situation because the world would end before I died. It was one puzzled teenage questioner. What did surprise me was the other teenager who then came out and said that she agreed with me. Now that was the one that took some courage to admit in front of others. I don

:o

Fear keeps us from doing the things that God wants us to do. W cannot be confident in what we say or what we do. If we try to witness and have fear in our heartss it will be seen and the person we are witnessing won't be able to believe.

Because we are ashamed to speak the gospel. It effects our confidence.

Its a win-win situation. We have lost our life to Christ on this earth and we can walk this earth with Him in our hearts. He will supply alll of our needs. On the other hand if we suffer physical death for Christ we have a great place to go.

What fear? Just about everything on this planet. No, it is not that bad. I work in a field that does not allow to talk about Jesus unless they ask me a specific question. My fear is that with my current failures, if they ask I will steer them in the wrong direction. I am also afraid that I will go beyond the boundaries that I have been given. The fear is the balancing act that I must adhere to. Most of all though, my fear of failure, past, present and future. It is hard to have a clear witness when you are always afraid that you will fail.