JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Work Out Your Salvation

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul was in prision at this time and he was letting them know that they had to continue to do their good works, keep on studying God's word, and know that Jesus would be returning , This was a critical time for the churches and since he wasn't there, they needed to do what was right in the sight of the LORD. Salvation for them was a lot different then, than it is now.. Jesus had already been there, and fulfilled prophecy, now they had to maintan their belief in his returning again. They already had the salvation, they needed to keep the faith that they had.

See Shepherds Chapel

In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

it means to look out for each other as a community in GOD. help out each other's needs and look out for each other in Paul's absence. this isn't sin but do onto others as you would have them do onto you.doing GOD's work until he returns to led us to heaven. what ever you do to thy brother, that you do onto me (Jesus (GOD))

"Work our your own salvation" means that we are to use the tools God has given to us at our initial introduction to the world of th Spirit of God, to achieve the destiny God designed for us before the foundation of the world. We have talents and the tools of the spirit (Eph 6 ). If we don't use them wea re likely to lose them. So having been given the tools, shown the pathway, then we are to follow in the Way on our own God-given initiative to the path's end. If we do not, we could very easily miss the gate to Heaven!

Yes, this salvation is from sin, of course. God has done all the work of the Cross,and given us the gift in the first place. But "work out your own salvation" is the ongoing part of salvation after the initial gift. As Simon of Cyrene helped carry Jesus' cross, (without knowing too much detail of the ordeal Jesus had already suffere d), so we too have to take up our (part of the) cross and continue to carry it to the end. Salvation always involved man having a (howbeit very small) part of co-operation with God. Yet, we carry the smaller part for none of us could do what Christ has done.There are those who come in at the end of the day (just before death) and are given the same wonderful wages of life that we receive, andthat it is God's joy and right to give. Salvation was always a covenant, provided in its completion by God, yet in which man also has a part.

Once I learned leadlight glass work in a seminar. However I did not go on with that art and now have lost completely the ability of do it. I was given the intro and the tools, and even completed a small project. However, now it is as though I never did it. Salvation is not unlike this, and must be worked on if it is to operate.

Lesson 4 Q 1

(a) To "work out your salvation" means in this passage 2:12-13, is the Philippians as a body are to work out their problems and come to unity.

(B) No, this is not referring to salvation from sin.

© The kind of salvation it is referring to is becoming more like Christ (church-wide) and leaving sins behind. Sanctification. Both the life of the Church and the life of the community are to produce the fruit of their salvation, that is, peace, love, and harmony in the spirit.

In this passage what does it mean to work out your own salvation? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not what kind of salvation is it referring to?

I believe this passage means we are to live out the Christian life with the godly attitude we should have as Christians and put God first and His work in us instead of our own selfish desires. We are to refrain from the path of sin which we were saved out of slavery from and walk a life of holy reverence to and for our Lord.

God Bless!

Jen

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Work out your own salvation means to live an obedient life, that being a Christian is working for God. This salvation is not obtained by works but rather is expressed by obedience to Christ. It is a continuing process both individually and as a group within the church. Jesus death on the cross already saved us from sin, however we must continually work at unity with other Christians.

I think that the Philippians were to work out their own salvation by working out the problems they were having, because the disagreements were not in the will of God. Evidently some were grumbling and complaining maybe about what they were expected to do, maybe they were like Martha complaining about what others were not doing. Not necessarily salvation from

To me it implies obedience to God's Word both as a group and individually. As a group, we can mature much faster in Christ as we help eachother and hold eachother up in prayer. Individually we must keep walking in Christ even when no man is looking because we can be sure God is. Just as an individual is expected to be morally in line as a prerequisite to pastoring a church, so too, the individual must also be striving toward God so they can be effective in the group. The Church is Christ's bride, and if the world sees His "bride" misbehaving, they must wonder about the husband.

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

It is referring to working out our day to day walk with the Lord, growing in our spirituality, and fruit of the Spirit.

wHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WORK OUT OUR OWN SALVATION? Is this referring to salvation from sin?If not, then what kind of salvation is it referring to?

I believe Paul is telling the phillipians that they are to be steadfast, and

energetic in continuing with the things of God that he personally taught

them, example; As we therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord , so

walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, wherein

ye have been taught. I believe Paul is telling them to press on toward the

calling God has placed on their lives.

This is not salvation from sin, but a salvation which they already possess,

to which they should HOLD FAST, and a firm grip on the grace that God has

given to each one of them, lest anyone should try to decieve them.

When making yeast bread - the best way to mix the ingredients is by squeezing and kneading it by hand until the yeast touches every part. This is how I see 'working out my salvation' - I have salvation from sin by accepting Christ into my life - believing in Him - but then I have to 'work' that ingredient into every area of my life until it has its affect there. This is when Jesus becomes Lord over those areas. It takes effort and hard work on my part to make this happen. It is a choice I make and one I am glad I made each and every time.

To me, Paul is speaking of the church as a whole continuing in faith, studying God's Word, assembling together to worship, and doing good works, not good works for salvation but as evidence of the fruit of the Spirit in us.

This is not speaking of salvation from sin, that we can't earn or work for, it is a gift from God.

The salvation in the church body to be ynited, of one accord, bringing about fruit in the Spirit. The whole body being humble and loving, relying only on God's strenght.

I believe Paul is telling the church to move forward in the sanctification process, towards the end of achieving holy perfection.

He is not referring to salvation from sin so much as he wants the church to polish their mirror so as to better reflect the glory of Christ Jesus. This is to be done by abandoning their self-will and and coming to a spirit of submission to the will of God, and loving service to all brothers and sisters in Christ.

When we give our lives to the Lord Jesus Christ, it means we are saved by grace i.e. we are telling the Lord to take control of our lives i.e. we need Him to help us live the God's kind of life.

Even as a christain, we still sin, and we have to go back ask for his forgiveness and move on.

Working out our salvation means that we should stive to keep on growing in the Lord. We keep at it because there will be turbulent times, trying times, trials, temptations etc. but we will not give up as it would make our faith more sronger in Him. There is no end to our growing in Crist until He comes to take us home and we will be judged with whatever He finds us doing. Like Paul said, forgetting those things that are behind but let's reach out to those things ahead of us so that we can become the best Christ would have us to be.

Workingi out our salvation is growing up in the Lord. We start out as baby believers and grow into the image of Jesus. We are so afraid to say we live by Bible precepts -- God has given us instruction on how to live a perfect life on this earth and God takes us through circumstances so we can learn these precepts and grow more like Jesus. BEing obedient - - living in God's will and for His purpose.

1a.) (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

1a.) Paull writes: "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:11-15)

1b.) (2:12-13). Is this referring to salvation from sin?

1b.) No.

1c.) (2:12-13). If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

1c.) The quotation above states it. Jesus tells us: "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

Paul is telling them to move on with their lives and not keep doing things that do not please God. To love and show all the fruit of the Spirit to each other. Not to grumble and complain but to stand in love and brother and sisters of the Lord to show love at all times.

Is this referring to salvation from sin?

We can never work our way out of sin it is a gift from God that is paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ on the cross. None of us are worthy of this gift but still Jesus did this for each of us.

If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

It is the unity of the Church that he is talking about to lift up those things he has said before he knows they do even when he is not there with them. To love and let the fruit of the Spirit show like the stars in a dark sky show let others see the love and let it reflect Christ Jesus.

To work together for the church's benefit of unity. For the life of the church and the community and to settle any differences you might have with the church body. To live your life according to God's Holy Word and to be a Witness for Him. Nobody can work out your salvation except you and your willingness to accept what God has for you and follow His instructions.

Salvation from sin, no, but sanctification through the fruit of the Spirit. Peace,Love, and Harmony in the Spirit. Church-wide Sanctification will work out the problems and come together in unity.

I believe to working our our salvations means we are to live so that our lives prove we are saved. Our lives are to reflect Jesus at all times. To do that we need to practice the fruit of the spirit at all times. Even when alone. :rolleyes:

No this is not talking about sin, cause we are already covered by his blood. :)

I believe its the unity of all who are the body of christ, working together to be able to bring others to Christ. :)

:rolleyes:

Each person goes through their own experiences as far as meeting Christ and asking for salvation.

I do believe that it is referring to salvation from sin. Both individuals and churches need the same salvation or deliverence or to be rescued by God for their sin. As individuals it is the personal relationship that you have with God. As a church it is letting Christ into the sanctuary, the offices, meetings etc. The church needs to follow the teachings and collectively ask for forgiveness and salvation so that they it may be able to do God's will and act according to God's purpose.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU

Salvation is a huge gift to be carefully unwraped, with the help of Holy Spirit, by the believers, to acieve it fully and enjoy it. The idea here is we workout the salvation but not work for it. God works in us and we workout, on a daily basis in communion with the fellow believers.