JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Confidence in the Flesh

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

I think all people and every church struggles confidence in the flesh.

I will use Pastor Ralph's list of boasts Paul could of use, and put into words for today

Circumcision -- I was baptized.

Citizenship -- I am a member of this denomination, or a member of the biggest and best church in town.

Genealogy-- My family has be members of this denomination for 4 generations.

Family Heritage -- My farther was a pastor and my grandfather was an elder.

Orthodoxy--We follow ever rule of our denomination.

Zeal --We never miss a service, we come Sunday morning Sunday night and every Wednesday.

Righteousness-- I am proud of the righteous life I live.

We as humans do not want to humble our self and come to the foot of the cross and admit that we are nothing but filthy sinners.

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

"All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of the Lord!" Romans 3:23 And, yes, that includes those of us in the church. But what a joy it is to see someone who truly trusts in the Lord to uphold him/her in situations that most would use to glorify himself/herself! When the life of a Christian reflects the world--ie, trusting in your own ability--what does that say about Christ? We are to live differently than the world and if we don't, then we throw mud on our loving Lord! People look at Christians as they have down through the ages--hoping to see them fall short of living as Christ demands so that they can say, "You see? They're not any better than the rest of us!" <_<

In the church, this can show up as someone who demands that the church fulfill their idea of what the church should support and do. If it doesn't follow their desires, they try to throw a monkeywrench into the work. They need our prayers for forgiveness.

Myself? Read the first sentence of my answer. Yes, of course I have, but praise the Lord, He forgives and re-establishes us when we repent! :(

Our little home church is only 18 months old so we are still forced to be dependent on moment by moment faith. I pray it stays so. We left a denomination that turned its back on scripture and endorsed behavior clearly denounced as an abomination in the the bible. It was painful and we wanted to stay together and thus our little group was started.

I have struggled with confidence in the flesh. Years ago I attended a very legaistic church. Holiness was a list of do's and don'ts. Don't wear makeup, don't cut your hair, don't watch tv, etc. etc. Even after I left it took a long time to believe God accepted me if I didn't keep all the rules laid down by that group.

I can think of one circumstance where it was obvious that some were working in the flesh, that is when we were building our addition on and the building became almost more important than serving God. Every one was in a hurry to see it complete, therefore less time was spent in communion with God.

I have learned from some very difficult circumstances that we cannot trust in the flesh because we will fail, all our confidence must be in the Lord.

How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

confidence in the flesh is trying to do something by one's self. then when it doesn't work out then you call upon the Lord and ask for help. i struggle with it most of the time. i now wake up and ask the Lord (PRAY) for SALVATION! for those i think are in need of it. then i ask him to do what needs doing. finally i ask him if he could take the reins of my life for the day. as for the congregation if i see something that shouldn't be i then pray for that person(s) in hope that they'll hear GOD's word. anything else would be judging, and that's for the Lord only.

To put it simply - we are blessed with much artistic talent and people who want to serve. But I am weary that we will do everything so well, that we will fail to see when the Holy Spirit might leave. I just mean that we must always rely on God's strength, God's gifting and die to our own fleshly desires. I have seen the church today, lower the standards of church to entice the world to come - - God is saddened by this condition - - we must pray that we keep God in the center.

This is a difficult question for me. I see people who want to operate their own little empires within the church. Our pastors have not gone along with it and some have left in consequence. There has been flack for the pastors, but the empires were to run on largely secular/humanitarian grounds. Others have considered themselves greater than others because they have been through college or in ministry, but their call has not been to service. They have been looking for status in the church. It seems that "who they are" in terms of experience or training, is their basis for confidence and acknowledgement. Being a pastor must be a very trying situation at times.

I was once told - in the early days after my return to the faith - that I was trying too hard and should stop that. I had no idea what they were getting at, but two people I respected were agreeing on this so I had to hear them. I was distressed that I had forgotten my faith for many years and was trying to catch them up!. I tried so hard to do everything right! At that time I was operating in that flesh of "doing", not realising that it is all about relationship and "being". It really took me years to begin to sort this one out. These days I am free to just adore Jesus, and see what comes of that. Not that I have everything taped, but it is much more relaxing (stressless) this way - as my favourite Hebrews 4 warns us: "make sure that you enter into my rest" It is His peace that is the guide, not all the works that I can do!

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?

Confidence in the flesh is one that we see often in the churches not just of today but it has been around since the time Jesus started the church. We start to think because we are trained to do something we can do it better than others that are not trained but called by the Lord to do things. One example is a lady that use to attend our church was a trained singer. She has a beautiful voice and was trained well in doing so. She never sang in the Spirit of God her training was good but you did not feel the power of the Spirit when she sang. It was more like look at me I know how to do this. Then one night she was signing and the Holy Spirit moved in her and her voice was like an angel not trained to sing but singing unto God. What a difference it made in the way her singing was received by those in the church. Instead of listening to see if she made mistakes people rejoiced and worshiped God in her singing. It is a blessing to know to be able to do things but that is your blessing you bless others when you do it under the anointing. :rolleyes:

Have you ever struggled with it?

All of us struggle with the flesh from time to time. We think we can do something better or trained more than others to handle things. God's leading is the most important training there is and we need to hold to him for guidance and what is the right way. So the answer here is yes. :(

Sorry I am later responding to the questions but there is a tragedy. My first cousin's husband went lobster fishing Saturday morning and did not return. Just today (Tuesday) they found the body. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.

Lesson 6 Q 1

(a) "Confidence in the flesh" shows up in my congregation by placing emphasis on religious effort than on internal faith. People's spirituality is judged by their fulfillment of duties or their level of human activity in the church, but God values the attitude of our hearts above all else. Amen?

Yes, I have struggled with "confidence in the flesh" and I am sure all humans have sometime or another because we have all boasted in the flesh. It has to do with what man thinks is important and we all want to feel important among our fellowman. It all comes down to our pride.

By having the holier than thou attitude. By thinking that they can acquire for themselves what only God can do. By not obeying the Holy Spirit's prompting and by thinking they are responsible for their own standing in the church by their own doings. Pretense as to their own salvation.

No, not to my knowledge because I know that I can do nothing without my God and Holy Spirit guiding me. I consider it an honor and a privilege to teach in Sunday School. It would be an honor to serve in any capacity that God would have me.

It shows up in my church more than it should. There is always people that think they are better than you becuase they have been trained to do a job. Your training does not make us better if we don't know how to show love to others that don't have any training. Unless his Spirit is guiding us. it won't makes us feel any better just because we know something. :unsure:

Yes, i have struggled with it at times. I would be lying if i said i didn't. :(

How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?Have you struggled with it?

Confidence in the flesh shows up in congregations when people allow pride

gossip, and other worldly things to be part of their walk with God. Also, a

desire for one to edify themselves above others, putting themselves first,

instead of a willingness to serve others.

Yes, and I would say that ALL of God's people at some time or another have

had to deal with this problem. The Spirit indeed is willing , but the flesh is weak. Have no confidence, I say, in the flesh.

Confidence in the flesh can generally be identified only by the Lord. It is usually hard for others to judge and be correct concerning somebody else's motives. However, since we are human it can be a problem for all of us, especially if we are talented ... a musician, a leader, a teacher ... a pastor ... we can easily lean on our own skills and "successes" and not depend upon the Lord.

Have I been guilty of this? Yes, many times unfortunately. Sometimes a good dose of failure brings us back to dependence upon the Lord.

Hello everybody.

At times "confidence in the flesh" shows up in the hearts of those who try to exalt themselves above others because they gave more money or more time or more of anything than anyone else. Mankind's heart is self-righteous and boastful.

Oh, heck yeah. Most anybody would be lying if they say no. I struggle with it everyday. As hard as I try. There are times that I believe that I am the only one that is right. I am the only one that can do something and can do it right. If you want it done right, do it yourself. I am a perfectionist. I can do everything and all that I do is correct. My way is the only way and if you don't like it you can leave. I AM ALWAYS RIGHT, NEVER WRONG. I struggle with it everyday. I sometimes forget to include God in the equasion. I pray each day for the Lord to take the day and make it what He wants it to be. When I give it to Him I have much better results. I thank the Lord for giving us a Board of Directors that keeps me in check so I don't get a swelled head and can be a good example to those in HIS congregation. Confidence in yourself is not a bad thing because you have to know that you can do it, too much confidence can give you the swelled head that God does not want us to have.

JESUS LOVE YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU!!!

How does confidence in the flesh show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

Since we have moved so often I usually feel like I am just visiting a congregation but my observances are that there are always some who put confidence in the flesh on a regular basis with lots of activities and busyness and some who are truly not putting confidence in the flesh but relying on the Spirit. Not that its wrong to be busy but we must not put our confidence in that. Matthew Henry says that "the work of religion is to no purpose any further than the heart is employed in it".

I constantly find myself striving in the flesh and then have to give whatever it over to God. I am assuming it might be a struggle until I go home to be with the Lord but the more mature I get the more conscious I am of when I am putting confidence in the flesh when I should be putting it in the Spirit.

Frankly right now I feel like I am "spiritually challanged" every day.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?

As much as I would love to say that it doesn't show up in my church it wouldn't be true. I have seen some things that have really upset me but I know that it is God's job to deal with His people. We are human but that is an excuse that I don't want to use. I want to be all that God wants me to be. I borrowed that from the military, sorry. :rolleyes:

Have you ever struggled with it?

Yes, but when I notice that I'm doing it I normally confess and get right with God. I'm not perfect but I do want to be pleasing to Him.

In our congregation a particular family, because of their large number try to control the affairs of the chuch. They are good, loving, service oriented and God fearing. But few others believe that resposiblity shold be shared but this does not come out into the open because members are tolarent and kind to one another.