JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Christian Citizenship

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A disciple will develop loyalties for whatever s/he is studying and following after. If we pursue things of the world, we will be devoted to them. If we follow after things of heaven, we will develop committed allegiance to them. Things of the world are going to lead us away from the things of heaven, so it should be no surprise that a worldly-minded person is going to display the dreadful characteristics described in these verses. We really have to constantly remind ourselves that we're heavenly citizens just journeying through this life on earth toward something greater. Jesus leads the way, and so we must follow after Him in our thinking and behavior. That will keep our minds on heavenly things and our allegiance in the right place. Just travellin' through!!

In the church, if we confuse the concepts of patriotism and heavenly citizenship, we create divided allegiances. We should never come to a point where we worship a country or patriotism, but we should be pointing people to the truth that the Lord brought our nation into existence for His glory and He alone is our source of blessing and protection. We should be reminding everyone that God deserves our gratitude for His favor on this country, not ungrateful contempt. America began with an allegiance to Him, but our allegiance is now deeply divided because we tolerate and accept so much worldliness. As Americans, we should be falling on our faces before Him in repentance of our rebellion and in confession of our desperate need for Him. The Body of Christ should be leading the way. Our true citizenship is in heaven, but according to a principle in Jer.29:7, we have the responsibility to seek the welfare of whatever place the Lord has put us in while here on earth. "[Thus says the Lord of hosts...] But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare."

I am admittedly going off on a

In order to serve a master we must know who that master is. We must do everything for Christ, our Master. Although we have earthly bosses, we ultimately work for Christ who's authority we must submit to above all others. If we live like we serve another master what kind of disciple are we? We are a disciple to an idol. If we keep our eyes focused on Christ we can trust Him to deliver us from temptations. If we rely on our own strength, the enemy wins. The danger is that were all talk and no action which leads to death. Scripture says we must believe in Christ, and believing is synonomous with obeying according to scripture. If I have only bible knowledge of Christ and no intimate relationship with Him, I'm not really His servant, I am deceiving myself. Faith without works is dead.

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19? What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

Recognizing our true citizenship to be in heaven keeps our focus and priorities on Christ and the spiritual. It keeps us from temptations because where the mind goes the body follows. I love this country and am thankful that God has chosen to place me here, however God is not an American, or English or French etc. We must not allow our love for our country to become religious in fervor. Love for God and country should not ever be equal or even equally important in our lives.

Here on earth we are aliens in a foreign land. Our citizenship is in the kingdom of God. We must concentrate on eternal things not earthly things so when the time comes our bodies will be transformed into the likeness of His glorious body. When your mind is on earthly things you live a self indulgent lifestyle and think only of what makes you happy. This will cause destruction and ruin your chances of being accepted into the kingdom of God.

All churches need to preach what is biblical. Stay away from earthly thinking and have a heavenly mindset not go the way of a majority if not in the Bible. Stand firm on sound Biblical doctrine and not give in to other doctrine or laws of man.

4a.) (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

4a.) So that you do not lose sight of your goal. The Crown of Glory.

4b.) (3:18-21)  How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19?

4b.) It keeps us focused in who we are and the price that was paid to redeem us.

4c.) (3:18-21) What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

4c.) We lose sight that we have been called to bring glory to God and exalt His Name. This does not mean we are not to be good citizens of our earthly nation. Paul instructs us to: "I urge, then first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

The Power of Christian Citizenship is, DON'T LISTEN TO THE TRADITIONS OF MEN !!!!!! Ask God for His word only, not man's word. We were told in the Book of Psalm 40:7 Then said I, Lo, I come in the volume of the book it is written of me,

We must understand who (I) in the bible is. It is NOT MAN!

We are also told in the Book Hebrews 10:7, Then said I, Lo, I come ( in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

God has told all of his children, to STOP listening to the traditions of men, Men come up with their own ideas and don't teach his children who , or what He's talking about.

He's telling us that the ANTI CHRIST, SATAN LUCIFER, DRAGON, SERPENT, THAT OLD DEVIL, is comming on this earth FIRST, to deceive all of those who think they are going to fly away, by the," RAPTURE THEORY", is a lie that man has been teaching every since 1830, by a story from a sick lady, by the name of Margaret Mcdonald. God is going to let Satan a loose for (5) five months to show us that all of you who fall for this junk that man is teaching, is going to fall for Satan's lies.

READ, READ, READ, for yourselves, in the Books of the BIBLE.

Revelaiton 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months; and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man. (Do you know how scorpions strike?) They suck out all of the word of God from your mind and put in their word, lies!

Revelation 9:10 And they had tails like unto scoripions, and there were stings in their tails and their power was to hurt men five months.

Satan and his fallen angels, and his offspring of Cain, the KENITES, are going to play on all of the people who did not READ, what God had to say, they just listened to what, So Called, Preachers and Reverends, said.

Need more proof READ Matthew 24:22, Mark Chapter 13, 2 Timothy 2:10, .

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHO THE ELECT ARE? They are God's children who read his word and did not listen to MAN'S TEACHING.

Lesson7 Q 4

(a) Recongizing and affirming our citizenship and allegiance is vital to discipleship because it remings us that we belong to Christ and as Christians we will one day experience all the special privileges of our heavenly citizenship. ("our conversation is in heaven.") It keeps us from living the worldly way.

(B) It keeps us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19 by reminding us that our citizenship is in the Kingdom of God. Heaven should be our focus, therefore, it keeps our eyes of the world in which we live and gives us the opportunity to serve, and to become the best person we can be.

© The dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship are: (1) It keeps us from knowing Christ; (2) of being in Christ; (3) of " the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

When we affirm our citizenship, we testify as to where our heart is. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Mat 6:21) Why would we treasure earth's trinkets above the treasures that are laid up for us in heaven. All that we desire awaits us there. Knowing our true citizenship keeps us focused on the prize Paul referred to in Phi 3:14.

When we confuse domestic patriotism with our citizenship with Christ, we misplace our priorities. We can't get bogged down turning our communities into Christian cultures. Do you actually think you

Jesus said you can't serve both man and God. We must recognize our allegiance to God so we can putoff the ways of the world. When we walk ini Jesus path, the temptations will be easy to fight off because our eyes will be on the prize - will be upward to the Heavens, using the power of Jesus' name.

The answer to part two is very simple - we can in no way make something else be it a belief, a person or patriotism a god. God is jealous and the danger of confusing the two, would that we might become more zealous for the "cause" than for God.

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

It is vital to us because we don't need or want to lay up our treasures where moth and rust can get to them. We need to strive for a higher calling in Christ Jesus that knowing this world is not our home we are strangers here and we do not want to become like this world but be like Jesus. We need to remember at all times who we are and whom has called us into a higher calling.

How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19?

It keeps our mind on who paid the price for our salvation and who we love and want to be with. That is the reason we live is to be with Jesus serve him and do his will and the will of the Father.

What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

We know that in we need one another so church is necessary for us to make heaven our home. Still we need to know our patriotism is to Jesus and to make heaven our home. We can do both if we study and stay in the word and in a good bible teaching church.

Hbr 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of [our] faith without wavering; (for he [is] faithful that promised;)

Hbr 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

Hbr 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Q4. (3:18-21) Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship?

I think its important in remembering where we will be going and what we might see when we get there. Will help us to keep our focus where it needs to be. :)

If we keep our focus on where we will be going. We won't want to fall into the temptations this world offers. We will desire what only Jesus can give. :rolleyes:

What are the dangers of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism with a Christian's true citizenship?

It can cause us to lose sight of the prize. B)

God commanded the old testament patriarchs to tell their stories to the children in their houses constantly so the children would now who they are, and what the traditions of their ancestors require of them as citizens of the promised land. I believe this constant reaffirming of their citizenship established their paths as distinctly Hebrew people, the people of God. When this constant teaching stopped at the top level (among the kings) the whole country fell into idolatry, lost wars, experienced disasters etc. So with us, we are to constantly affirm our citizenship in Heaven with the stories of Jesus and scripture, lest we fall into the ways of the world. We must be aware always of who we are in relation to God in order to maintain our role as a priesthood to the nations.

This constant reaffirming who we are in Christ clarifies our role in this earth and sets it before us clearly. We walk here but are citizens of another country, with all its traditions of being etc.

I think we can have various temporal patriotisms, eg to our denomination, to protestantism, to charismatic churches, even to the democratic system of government. These all seem to make very good sense to us and save us the trouble of seeing as God sees. But, as I learned today, we are to have no opinion save the opinion of Jesus (which mostly we do not know as He sees the bigger picture.) We are "Heavenly men and women" and operate in the love of Jesus Christ for every man, wherever he is and whatever his particular path to Jesus..

Since our citizenship is the Kingdom of God, and we are like aliens here on earth, our allegiance should be on God and His Glory. If we keep our focus on Him instead of earthly things, our main concern will be our walk with our Lord.

Don

Recognizing and affirming our citizenship cements our relationship with God. Conviction is vital to discipleship. How can others follow if theY don't see it in you?

When we recognize and affirm our citizenship we have something to hold onto. We will not want to let go of it. We will do whatever it takes to keep it. We are strangers walking this earth, not of it. Our citizenship gives us a sense of belonging which in turn gives us a reason to turn away from the temptations of this earth.

God has specific plans for our lives and if we get too attached to this world we will lose sight of that plan. We are to follow the laws of the land but we have to be mindful of the laws of God and not let the world pull us away. If we get caught up in the world we as a people, as a church will fall. Fight the good fight.

JESUS LOVES YOU, HE REALLY LOVES YOU!!

Why is recognizing and affirming your citizenship and allegiance vital to discipleship? How does it keep us from the temptations outlined in verses 18 and 19?

1st you have to know where you came from before you know where you are going. then when you decide where you'd like to go you can avoid the mistakes (with Jesus's help) once made a go forward towards your goal.

true citizenship is not always in the interest of GOD.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to remember that we are citizens of heaven and that earth is just are temporary home. If we become too comfortable with life on this earth,

it will eventually affect our walk with God.

If we keep our focus upon Jesus,then the temptations the world offers will no longer seem attractive.

I am an American citizen by birth and I consider myself to be very patriotic.

Yet I know that this is only a temporary citizenship.

My permanent citizenship will be in heaven with Jesus and all other believers.

Why is recognizing and affirming our citizenship and allegion vital to discipleship?How does it keep us from temptations?What are the dangers

of a church combining and confusing the concepts of temporal patriotism

with the christian's true citizenship?

We must always be on guard to recognize and affirm our heavenly citizenship, to see that the WORLD and its enticements do not creep into

our lives to break our relationship with God. The enemy offered Jesus all

the kingdoms of the world and the glories of them (an enticement of flesh),

to which we are all drawn to at times. Jesus was quick to respond with the

Word of God, and to rebuke the enemy. We ought to do likewise.

Affirming our heavenly calling keeps us on track or the path that God has set

out for us to the prize that is ahead of us. Eyes have not seen nor ears heard what God has prepared for those who love Him. WHY EXCHANGE OUR

BIRTHRIGHT FOR A POT OF SOUP AS ESAU DID????

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's ; render unto God what is God's.

Don't get caught up in the world's politics in seeking man's approval , instead

of the approval of God, and that longing to hear from Him,"WELL DONE THY

GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT.".

• 2 months later...

Our citizenship is with Christ Jesus.We belong to Him,and one day will experience all the special privileges of our heavenly citizenship.

We must keep our minds off of earthly things,and focus on Jesus Christ,and heavenly things.As Paul said,Stand Firm In The Lord.

~I WOULD SAY WE HAVE TO SEPERATE OURSELVES FROM TEMPORAL PATRIOTISM.YES,WE SHOULD LOVE OUR COUNTRY,BUT IT IS THE SIN THAT SEPERATES US.WE HAVE TO MAKE DECISSIONS ON WHO WE WANT TO RUN OUR COUNTRY(ELECTIONS) BELONGING TO OUR COUNTRY AND BELONGING TO GOD IS REALLY TWO DIFFRENT CITIZENSHIPS.WE MUST STAND FIRM IN WHAT WE BELIEVE AS BELIEVERS IN CHRIST JESUS.I DON'T AGREE IN EVERTHING MY GOVERMENT DOES,BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN I AM NOT PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN LIVING IN THE COUNTRY I WAS BORN IN.I BELIEVE EACH AND EVERONE OF US ARE PLACED WHERE GOD WANTS US TO BE BECAUSE GOD HAS A PLAN TO USE US,JUST WHERE HE HAS PUT US.I PRAY FOR MY COUNTRY AND ITS LEADERS,ASKING GOD TO HELP THEM MAKE THE RIGHT DECISSIONS.ALWAYS REMEMBER."FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD,THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY SON, TO DIE FOR OUR SINS,THAT WE ALL WILL RECEIVE LIFE.(OUR SALVATION IS THROUGH JESUS CHRIST)

• 2 months later...

I THINK THAT WHEN MY MIND IS SET ON HEAVENLY THINGS AND NOT EARTHLY THINGS,THEN I AM MUCH MORE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THE THINGS I NEED TO FOR CHRIST .MY CITIZENSHIP IS OF HEAVEN AND I'M A STRANGER IN THIS LAND SO EVERYTHING I DO MUST BE TO BRING HIM GLORY AS HIS DISCIPLE. TO BE AN EFFECTIVE DISCIPLE OF CHRIST I MUST KEEP MY EYES FIXED ON HIM AND REALISE WHERE I'M FROM AND WHERE I'M GOING.IF MY EYES ARE NOT FIXED ON HEAVENLY THINGS, IF I'M NOT LOOKING THROUGH SPIRITUAL EYES THEN IT'S EASY TO FALL INTO TEMPATIONS OF EARTHLY THINGS.

OUR TRUE HOME IS HEAVEN. THIS LAND WE LIVE IN AND THIS PLACE WE CALL HOME IS ALL TEMPORARY. I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT I LOVE MY GOD FIRST.NOTHING WORKS WELL IF GOD ISNT GIVEN FIRST PLACE.I GIVE RESPECT TO THE LAWS OF THE LAND BUT I NEVER SEEK TO PUT MY COUNTRY FIRST. THAT WOULD BE IDOLATRY.MY PRAYER IS THAT PASTORS AND LEADERS WOULD HELP THE SHEEP TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS DANGEROUS TO GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE POLITICS AND PATRIOTISM OF THE NATION THAT THEY LOSE SIGHT OF THEIR HEAVENLY CITIZENSHIP...GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...

Fidelity is essential to success in any endeavor. If you cannot be committed to discipleship there is no way that you will be able to give the Lord the time that He rquires to mold you and make you.

When you concentrate on the spiritual you forget about the earthly thus temptations are more readily put under subjection.

Too ofter churches placate the pews by mingling worldly items (Super Bowl parties on the Lord's Day, etc.) in an effort to keep the members in church. This has the effect of causing confusion in that the church shows support for the world which is at enmity with God. What are new converts and those that place their trust in the pastors becoming?

• 7 months later...

You must continually repent and walk the walk letting God be God in order to have the light for discipleship or you will easily be lead astray. If the church becomes confused with where their leadership comes from then the vision starts going and leading people off the path.

• 3 months later...

It is vital to keep yon on the right path. Once you divert your eyes you will continue to be swayed by temptations.

Once we keep reaffirming our citizenship we are strengthen and we continue trusting in the God of Heaven.

The Christian needs to know that their heavenly citizenship is priority and this should be taught and seen in the church.

• 1 month later...

jesus pegged us when he said the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. everyday we need to back up and take a long look at our lives and get refreshed in him. it's so easy to kick it and let the world dictate to us on how we should act or respond, and think. you know, patriotism is a hard one for me. after serving in the military,way back in the day.when i served, i had to lose my identity as a civilian and there was no way i could mix the two ( military and civilian life). i had to learn to protect, defend at all costs. i laid my life down for a country of people i never knew, nor did they know me, i had to become a single mind because i would start to question or debate authority.i had only one objective and that was to secure a nation. so when i see others in the military serving, i understand what they mean to me. i am very proud to have them watching over me. and that goes for all who lay down their lives at any given point, firemen,policemen and so on. and i still get chills to this day when we play our national anthem, remembering those who laid their life down so i could have this freedom today. but since i accepted christianity, my objective has changed, it is now christ. i still must have the single mind,my identity is now in christ, not of the world. can't mix the two either.still laying my life down for others who i don't knowand instead of me securing, i am secured.