JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is related, because if we realize it's all His, we'll be more giving. In giving we're reminded exactly how we've become stewards of it.

It gets in the way of worship, because our heart isn't 100% into it.

Everything I own belongs to God...He's just let me borrow them.

I should be very careful not to allow "my" naterial possessions to take a place in my heart that belongs to God.

It will re-energize my praise, in reminding me how good God has been to me.

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

If you think you earned things by your own effort, then you praise your self for your great efforts. If you admit that you are nothing and all things are a gift from God you will praise him for every thing in your life. Even the trials.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

If you think things are mine you become selfish. Selfish people exalt themselves not the Father. Worship is the exalting of the Father.

In what sense do all your possessions belong to God?

He created them why should they not belong to him.

What then should be your relationship to your possessions?

Hold them lightly in the palm of your open hand. Always put your love for God and people ahead of things. If you grip them tightly they will control you and your decisions.

How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

You will have a kingdom view of life. When people see the word giving they think of money. But it is so much more then that. Giving is looking at all things you do through

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

When we praise we realize that God is the author of all things and what we have been given is all His as well. He gives us things according to His purpose - The earthly possessions are only temporal - we should be cherishing things in the Heavens - loving and serving God by loving and serving others

Possessiveness is a blocker because the "I, Mine" statements get in the way. We begin to think we deserve something - - that is the way the world had molded our minds prior to faith.

Possessions - should be considered a gift - if our house isn't as nice as someone else's that's ok because that is what God gave us - - we should not hold onto anything too tightly - because when we do - that thing/person becomes an idol.

We should be joyful and abundant in giving - realizing that what we have is what God gives us and if we have lots - he wants us to give lots - -

When we realize that God has given us everything we have, then we should be ever so thankful - - and for His greatest gift - - His Son on the cross and raised from the dead to life everlasting - - for that we are eternally grateful.

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

If we are willing to give to God what we know we should, we will be more likely to praise him for what he has given us. God wants us to be cheerful givers, not unhappy givers. Everything we have, homes, cars, clothes, etc, God has allowed us to have. Most of us have far more then we "need" and we must remember that God can take it away in an instant. I believe the more we let God know we know everything we have comes from him, the more we appreciate all God has given us, the more we appreciate what God has given us, the more God will give to us.

We are to worship God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. Part of our strength is the ability God has given us to prosper, so we are to use that ability to prosper to worship Him. That means we worship Him with our money, of which the tithe is the first part, and offerings are the second. We can never consider that we are giving our full worship without this. In fact without this we are robbing God.(Mal 3:8-10). If we would rob God in th tithe, then in real terms our worship is unacceptable to Him. We are not worshipping in spirit and in truth, and robbing God of the tithe is the tip of the iceberg in terms of what we are stealing from Him in terms of praise. We cannot be a divided person, robbing God with one part and worshipping Him with the other. No. The spirit of stinginess will occupy our complete being. We have degraded our whole relationship with Him and complete restoration (repentance) is needed. It is better to err on the side of generousity than onthe side of meanness.

Possessiveness is part of the Jezebel spirit seeking self-satisfaction and personal control. We need to give over control completely to the Holy Spirit in order to be free of this insidious, whinging beast. The Holy Spirit has all the wisdom of relationships and we need Him. We cannot truly worship God while allowing a controlling spirit dominion over us, because it divides our heart and takes the fire out of our worship. God hates a lukewarm spirit which is self deceiving.

God created and provided us with everything including the ability to prosper. Eveything comes from Him.

My relationship to my possessions should be like David's - "Who am I.....that I should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, and of your own have we given You." Also we are to love our brother as ourselves, and if we sense a brother suffering lack and do not give to him, then we have with-held it from God Himself. Our possessions are not our own, but for the whole kingdom of God.

These truths show me that what I have is for stewardship and fruitfulness. I am to be an excellent steward of what I have, because there will be an accounting before the Lord of creation one day (stories of unjust stewards, and of the talents). Standing in the fear of God, as well as under His banner of love,, I will seek to deploy all that I have for the Kingdom, because I want to store up treasure in Heaven where thieves do not break in and steal and moth and rust do not corrupt, and where I have a living hope (1Peter1:3) of spending eternity.

I will praise God the more for realising my humble and fragile position before Him, and how important it is that I complete the race and receive that "Well done good and faithful servant". I will also praise God by loving His presence in my life, which I cannot have by violating His written truth.

If we think what we "own" is due to our own efforts and has nothing to do with God's provision in our lives, we will give grudgingly--not joyfully, knowing He has provided what we give and can continue to give us whatever we need! "Possessiveness" prevents us from realizing the joy of knowing we can rest in His provision--today and forever! We don't need to hoard in order to have what we need for tomorrow. :o

We came into the world with nothing. When we leave here, we will carry nothing into eternity with us. Only what we have given away will count then! So, we praise our Lord for providing us enough to help others and to give joyfully and with praise to His Name! :lol:

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

giving doesn't necessarily mean that you believe or praise the lord.how about i give you an example. where i teach religious ed. there are other teachers that are teaching it yet don't live it. when asked why they do it . answered my child is here anyway. or it's fun being with the kids.(that's GOD using non-believers)

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

because you're doing it for the wrong reason. doing it as an investment looking for a return. not because you truly love and believe in GOD

he created them, all belongs to him.

as if they are only on loan.

make them from the heart and stop overthinking it out.

Obviously, God already owns our bodies and souls if we are believers. It follows that He also owns all our possessions which are gifts to us from Him. Our attitude towards Him and His gifts should be with great thankfulness and appreciation for His generosity and love towards us...in fulfilling all of His promises to supply us with all our needs. His favor towards His people is unsurpassed by any human beings for our love is so self centered and contaminated with our evil nature, If we truly and deeply love our Father, we joyfully give back to Him of all of our substances, and time and loyalty and especially our love...without hesitation and consider it a great privilege to do so. In our giving, Praise is a natural reaction to give to our Great God who is our All in All. If we are stingy in giving, our praise will be also, for if love is not in the giving, our praise will not be wholly loving, but done more as a ritual or duty or a "paying you back" type of attitude. God has made laws for us for our own good because He loves us, and we are to learn to be like Jesus and learn to love as He loved us...and when we give of ourselves and our life and our hearts and strength as he desires, we are the one blessed for our souls are becoming more in tune with Him and His Holy Spirit. We must be good stewards of all of His gifts, whether it is money, health, possessions, children etc, which means to me to honor and care for them as if they were His Possessions ...and they are. My own body is His temple and when I fail to care for it, or do what is right, I am not being a good steward . The same rule appllies to everything we are and have. It is a responsibility and yet a great pleasure when we respect and cherish our selves and gifts of all kinds from Him. His kingdom must come, and we are the caretakers of it until He returns.

Because everything we have is a gift from God. Giving does not necessarily reveal what is in our hearts. Anyone can give - even those with a selfish, proud heart. God knows what is in our hearts and we should trust in Him that he will provide for us. We should give with a willing heart . We are just stewards of our earthly possions.

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

If we don't feel like giving our tithe, then it's for sure that we don't believe it came from Him and our praises will be short-changed in that area.

Possessiveness is making an "idol" of what you own. God said, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." An idol is a god that we worship in the flesh.

Because He created me. He provides for me and has, even when I was an unbeliever. He has given me everything, so all that I own is a gift from Him.

It is okay to have them so long as you keep your priorities in the right order. You should also use them to help someone in need.

If we are giving in a right manner, then we will be praising in a right manner. All for Him who gives us our all.

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

All comes from God, when we praise Him we are acknowleging that and when we have the right attitude towards giving we are also understanding that it all comes from God.

Because it shows that we consider our money ours and not God's.

Without His help, blessings and empowerment I could obtain nothing, I can't even take in a breath without His allowance.

We need to remember to hold all things loosely.

This reminder is humbling and timely, it will re-energize my attitude in all aspects of life.

Giving shows how much we trust in God and trust God. If we think we earned it by ourselves (which we tend to do), we don't want to give it to God because we think it is ours. If you cling onto the things of this world, you can't truly worship God because you're thinking about the things. God has given us everything we have and we should be thankful (by praising God) for the things He has entrusted us with. I need to thank God for everything He has given me, including his children and realize that He has entrusted all these "things" to me to give back to Him. I need to praise Him no matter what and not to cling onto the things of this world.

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

FIRST AND FOREMOST WE SHOULD REMEMBER THE BEATTITUDES.IF A PERSON GIVES FREELY HE/SHE IS GIVING FROM A HEART THAT HAS THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD. A PERSON WHO IS FOLLOWING THE ORDER AND IS OBEYING GOD'S WILL.

WE SHOULD GIVE AS IF IT DOESN'T BELONG TO US AND IN KNOWING THAT WE CAN TRUST GOD TO MAKE A BLESSING OF THAT GIVING. WE SOMETIMES WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A TRAGEDY TO GIVE FREELY BUT WE SHOULD GIVE CHARITY TO ALL THAT NEEDS IT AS GOD DOES. WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OR WHAT MAY OR NOT HAPPEN WITH THE GIFT.

AN ATTITUDE OF POSSESSIVENESS WITH GIVING GETS IN THE WAY OF WORSHIP WHEN YOU FEEL THAT YOU HAVE EARNED EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND IT IS YOURS TO CHOOSE HOW IT SHOULD BE GIVEN. THIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE EXIST MAINLY IN THOSE WHO BELEIVE THEY ARE IN TOTAL CONTROL OF THEIR LIVES AND SITUATIONS. SO THEY CAN DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT TO GIVE INSTEAD OF FEELING THAT THEY SHOULD GIVE FREELY, BECAUSE EVERYTHING BELONGS TO GOD, NOT TO YOU, BUT TO GOD. BECAUSE OF THIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE YOU DON'T FEEL THAT YOU HAVE TO WORSHIP SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS SINCE YOU'VE ACHIEVED THEM ALL ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT THE HELP OF ANYONE ESPECIALLY GOD.

IN EVERY SENSE DOES ALL MY POSSESSIONS BELONG TO GOD BECAUSE EVERYTHING BELONGS TO GOD. HE CREATED ME AND EVERYTHING THING LIVING AND DEAD ON THIS EARTH AND BEYOND. SO HE IS THE CREATOR SO HE HAS THE DEED TO IT ALL.

MY RELATIONSHIP TO MY POSSESSIONS SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN PRAISE OF GOD WHO HAS GIVEN ALL TO ME. EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE BREATH THAT I TAKE BELONGS TO GOD. SO HE HOLDS THE DEED. EVERYTHING I HAVE IS A LOAN FROM GOD IT DOES NOT BELONG TO ME. INSTEAD HE HAS LOANED IT TO ME TO HELP ME ON MY JOURNEY ON THIS EARTH. I OWN NOTHING, NOT EVEN THE DUST I WAS FORMED FROM.

THESE TRUTHS ENERGIZE MY GIVING AND MY PRAISES BY HELPING ME TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THESE ARE ALL TEMPORARY POSSESSIONS. I AM NOT TO HAVE INTEREST IN THESE POSSESSIONS BECAUSE THEY'RE LOANERS (PROVIDED TO ME BY GOD) TO UTLIZE DURING MY TIME HERE ON THIS EARTH. THESE POSSESIONS DO NOT BELONG TO ME. BECAUSE ALL THINGS BELONG TO GOD.

I AM TO CONCENTRATE ON LIVING A CHRIST-LIKE LIFE AND NOT TO CONCENTRATE ON MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND SUCCESSES HERE ON THIS EARTH. THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT. BY GIVING PRAISE I AM ACKNOWLEDGING THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL OF MY EVERY EXISTANCE, HE PROVIDES FOR MY NEEDS AND HE TAKES CARE OF ME BECAUSE I HAVE SURRENDERED MY LIFE OVER TO HIM. EVERYTHING ELSE IS NOT OF IMPORTANCE. I AM TO GIVE AS IF IT DOESN'T BELONG TO ME AND I AM TO PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING IT AVAILABLE FOR ME TO BLESS SOMEONE ELSE WITH THIS GIFT. LIKE HE HAS BLESSED ME WITH IT. WITHOUT GOD I WOULD NOT HAVE A GIFT TO GIVE SOMEONE ELSE IF HE DID NOT PROVIDE IT TO ME.

1. I believe when a person does not want to give freely, they are not mature spiritually they have not come to a clear understanding that all good comes from God, and in turn they do not praise Him.

2. For you are not obeying

3. For it is by Gods' hand that we have possessions

4. We should not hold our possessions close to our hearts

5. If you can take the Lord for granted I guess I do for I know I do not praise Him enough for all He does for me, and my family, and I ask Him for forgiveness and to make me a person of praise, I love you Jesus.

Giving does not necessarily reveal what is in our hearts - anyone can give - even those with a selfish, proud heart. Whatever is in your heart determines what you say. God knows what is in our hearts.

We should trust in God that he will provide for us and give with a willing heart for "Whatever measure you use in giving - large or small - it will be used to measure what is given back to you" We are just stewarts of our earthly possessions.

First you have to be willing to give all of yourself to the Lord. The things we say we own are not ours at all they are only borrowed for a while. They came from God they are his and we are blessed to be able to use them. The way you give back to God what is his will open your Praise to him so that you can give all Praise to him whom it belongs already. The more you know all you have belongs to God your eyes open to see how much he is worthy of all our Praises.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regard to giving get in the way of worship?

If you can't give back to the Lord those things that are already his how can you praise him with truth and love in your heart. If he is not first in your life he will not stay in your life. Give unto him as he has given to you and you will know nothing really belongs to us. If the Lords we will have things all good things come from the Lord and are his. If we can't give him back what he has given unto us how can we offer up Praise to him for he is worthy of all praises because he is our God and our giver. :D

He created all the earth and all that is here belongs to him. Nothing we have did we make ourselves. Even money is made from paper from the trees God created. How can we not see all things belong to him? :rolleyes:

God has let us borrow them for a while they are not ours at all.

How will these truths re-energize your giving?

It is easy when you know the truth to give back to him what is his already. He does not ask for it all back but he does say the first 10 percent is to be given back and then offering to him are up to you. The more you give the more you get from God. You can't out give God he is the giver of all things and he will bless your giving always. He will open the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing is what he has promised to those that give he will give back much more. Thank you Lord.

Your praise?

The more you praise him the more he helps you to be all you can be in him. He will move mountains if we praise him. We do not have to praise him it should be our hearts desire to lift up the name of God for he is worthy of all praises. God is Love and Lord forever and ever and will be with us unto the end of time and that is a long time and we need to praise him for who he is because he is our hope of tomorrow. The truth is he is worthy of all praise honor and glory. hallelujah :wub:

Q4. Our attitude with regard to giving should be one of total surrender. Every thing I have belongs to God. When our attitude is right with God it should be a reall blessing to give back to God what is his to bring Glory and Honor to Him.

The following is from I Chronicles 29, in "The Message" To you, O God, belong the greatness and the might, the glory the victory, the majesty, the spendor: Yes! Everything in heaven, everthing on earth; the Kingdom all yours! You've raised yourself high over all, Riches and glory come from you,

You're ruler over all;

You hold strength and power in the palm of your hand to build up and strengthen all. And here we are, O God, our God, giving thanks to you, praising your splendid Name.

This sums it up best. Praise His Holy Name.

I can best explain that with a negative example though I really am trying to be positive. A well known t.v. evangelist spoke on this subject and said that God spoke to her and told her to give the $1800.00 she had in an account for "FUN MONEY" to the service of the LORD. She went on to say that after she argued with God for a bit she did give up the 1800 dollars. Then she got really excited and said, "Guess what. The very next day God blessed me with more than the $1800.00 which I put back in my fun money account. I got my money back and more!!!"

My first thought was that, "Hey, you gave your money to God (which wasn't really yours anyway you just claimed it) and He gave you back His money. Now what are you going to do with His money?"

The best thing we can do with our money is to give it to the most selfless person we can find and the sad truth, too often, it is not to the leaders in the Church. If we cannot find such a person then what is wrong with becoming that person. God said, "You will call out and then I will answer." Only after we do things out of a selfless heart.

The hardest thing about becoming a selfless person is that we have to get to know our neighbors. Most of us do not know our neighbor's name let alone their needs. How hard is it to say, "Hi. My name is Darrell. Do you need some help with that?"

I was talking to the owner of a house I was hired to paint. I began talking to her about the LORD and asked her if she went to church. She said she didn't and when I asked her why not she replied, "Because I find more caring people in the bar than at church." Sad aint't it?

I was taking to our pastor when he mentioned the need to begin locking up some of the rooms in the church. I asked him, "When did we as Christians beging to place more value on the things we keep than on what we have to give away?"

The best I have felt in a long time was when the neighbor girl of 4 yrs. shouted across the street, "HI NEIGHBOR". Try it.

Darrell

Well giving is an act of praise so the more you give the better the attitude. Not giving and wanting to be in control . He gave us all of what we have. We should not be attached to material possessions. They can be replaced. I praise God for all I have and if He sees fit to take it away for any reason, I'll accept it because He gave it all to me anyway.

He'll replace it with bigger and better. That's how God works.I praise Him in the good times and when things are not going so good I praise Him even more because I know that the adversary is close at hand.. Praise The Lord when you feel like it and when you don't. Praise Him all the day long.

We must have the willingness to give in order to give praises. God God give to us everyday and we should give him praise

you cannot have the mind to praise and not have the will to give God not only supply us with spiritual blessing but also material blessing too. All my possessions belong to God because he allowed me to obtains them through his grace and

my faith in him.

Both attitudes - toward giving and toward praise, are related to Truth (in the inward parts). Our giving reflects our appreciation (praise) of God in spirit and in truth.

Possessiveness = meanness and derives from the evil one. It cannot in any way relect worship and the Spirit of Life.

Abba created everything through Yeshua the Christ. We have created nothing. We have just rearranged things a bit because God allows us that privilege! In that way we have accumulated possessions. Our use of those possessions needs to keep us in the flow of the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit. Therefore we ask God's annointing upon our deployment of them. In the Spirit they will serve God's purpose, and God being the generous God that He is will look after our needs wonderfully. The more we attend to God's purposes with every part of us (in particular with our possessions) the more we will bring His blessings into our lives. Praise God He is so predictable! (true to His Word).

My relationships to my possessions is that they are tools with which I may bless God's Kingdom and contribute to the flow of His love on this earth.

These truths energise my giving in that I need to increase and multiply my business enterprise so that I can give much more to God's Kingdom and purpose hereon earth. There is so much to do, and no limit to Father's resourcefulness!

I am so excited to have the privilege of being a child of God and seeing things from His (eagle's wings) point of view instead of the dead world's perspective.