JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Basis of Appeal

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nehemiah appealed to God on the basis of God's own words. The LORD had promised Moses that even though His people would be scattered throughout the earth because of disobedience, He would gather them back when their hearts returned to Him in obedience. Nehemiah reminded the LORD that His people were now His submissive servants who delighted in honoring His name and they desired that the dwelling place of His name be without shame.

An important lesson here is that the greatest prayer is to quote God's own Word and promises back to Him, believing that He is faithful to them. Also, Nehemiah confessed his complete dependence on God's mercy. As we've seen in other prayers, he didn't try to make excuses or refuse responsibility for the wickedness and rebellion of his people. He identified himself with the sins of his nation and took on the burden of intercession - with great intensity.

What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal?

Nehemiah prays to God that He would do what is written in His Holy Word.

How does he argue his case before God?

He argues his case as a servant. He is asking that the master hear the request of the servants. He says to God that he has already put much effort into these servants why would he not continue to work in their lives now that they have returned to Him in prayer.

What do we learn from this about intercession?

We are also servants of God. He has invested much in our lives. He sent Son to die for us so we could be redeemed and have fellowship with the Father. If he has invested this much in us why would he not answer our prayers for revival? His desire is that none would perish.

2 Chronicles 7:14:

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

We must be humble, repent of all sins, and pray.

We must spend enough time in prayer with the Father that we have a relationship with Him. We go to prayer in faith but as we spend extended time in prayer our faith is expanded so our prayers are fervent. Then we will get answers. I think this is what Nehemiah did.

I love to read about the faith of the old saints. A great book is E. M. Bounds on Prayer by E. M. Bounds.

My you spend much quality with the Father today and every day.

Q2. What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal?

The unfaithfulness of the Israelites and the promise that God would scatter them for it. Also the promise that God would gather them together again when they repented.

He used the words that God spoke to Moses. And that now, the Israelites are repenting for their disobedience.

That we must know what God's promises are. That we must be prepared to humble ourselves before God. That we must indeed acknowledge what we know to be our sins. And we must be prepared to beseech God for His favor and His unchanging love for His people.

What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal? How does he argue his case before God?

Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, 9but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'

not to give up. if GOD is willing to let you have something then you will get it. not necessarily in your time frame but when it's the right time for all.

Nehemiah was a servant of the Lord God whose interests were to be of use to bringing about God's will for His people. Prayer was his method.

He called upon the Lord God in relationship to His own will for the remnant left who are scattered and in great need due to their sinfulness. Nehemiah appeals to God reminding Him of His own Words and promises in regards to repentance and forgivenness before restoration. Nehemiah confesses the sins of himself as well as the nations, and asks God to forgive them and gather them back together unto salvation of their souls and be restored as His nation. He calls his nation to repentance, and to being drawn back to God, His commandments, and their obedience to the commands of God.

Perseverance is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit and Nehemiah did persevere in his requests to God as we should also.

What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal? How does he argue his case before God? What do we learn from this about intercession?

The basis of his appeal is God is a God of love who keeps His word to those who love Him and obey His commands. He argues his case by reminding God of His promises and by admitting sin. We need to do the same when we intercede.

Q2. (1:7-11) What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal?

That God had promised to bring them back together if they would turn back to him. He knows that God is truth and that he will do what he said he will do. We are to stand on the same appeal to God for those that we love and want to serve God. :rolleyes:

There where already those that had returned to Jerusalem and they where there to serve God. He tells God the words that he spoke and that he knows they need his help. So he reminds God of the promise. :huh:

We learn we do are to pray the intercessors prayer for those that we know once served God and turned from him. We are to pray for those that are not serving God now in our home our family and those we meet we are to tell them of Jesus and his love and pray they will except and become a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ. We should all prayer for our country also. So many do not take time to pray the prayer of faith to have God keep his hand upon this our dwelling place. Help us Jesus to do this more and to stand in the gap for our loved ones that don't know you. :o

The basis of Nehemiah's appeal is the very word of God. He states God's covenant concerning scattering and gathering, and reminds God of it. Secondly he reminds God of the already major investment in His people - namely their redemption from (probably) Egypt and then Babylon. On that basis he submits his humble petition for help with the king.

In intercession we need to be very aligned with the word of God because of its total authority, both with men and with God. We need to make petition on the basis of His written word because this is what holds weight with God. Also we know His great love for us and that in creation (Ps 139:13-16) and redemtion through the blood of Jesus He already has placed a lot of value upon us. We can go humbly but confidently before Him if we go in this way.

Q2. (1:7-11) What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal? How does he argue his case before God? What do we learn from this about intercession?

Nehemiah brings back to God's memory the promise He made to the Israelites: "Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'" (1:8-9)

Nehemiah reminds God of the promises He made to gather the Israelites from exile and then appeals to God for His servants.

I think it helps to learn from Nehemiah's situation that when interceding for someone, one should be familiar with the Word. How can one know what God has promised if he hasn't read about them in the Word?

The Basis of Nehemiahs appeal is that the of Israel are his people and he led them out of Egypt. He appeals for the Lord to have Mercy and Restore them back to Israel.

Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, 9but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'

10"They are your servants and your people, whom you redeemed by your great strength and your mighty hand.

We learn from this prayer the power of intercessory prayer. That with faith you can ask God to change his mind.

Q2. (1:7-11) What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal?

NEHEMIAH APPEALS BY REMINDING GOD OF HIS OWN PROMISES THAT HE GAVE TO HIS SERVANT MOSES.

"REMEMBER THE INSTRUCTION YOU GAVE YOUR SERVANT MOSES, SAYING, "IF YOU ARE UNFAITHFUL, I WILL SCATTER YOU AMONG NATIONS, BUT IF YOU RETURN TO ME AND OBEY MY COMMANDS, THEN EVEN IF YOUR EXILED PEOPLE ARE AT THE FARTHEST HORIZONS, I WILL GATHER THEM FROM THERE AND BRING THEM TO THE PLACE I HAVE CHOSEN AS A DWELLING FOR MY NAME."(1:8-9).

HE ALSO APPEALS TO GOD FOR HIS SERVANTS TELLING HIM THAT

"THEY ARE YOUR PEOPLE AND YOUR SERVANTS WHOM YOU REDEEMED BY YOUR GREAT STRENGTH AND YOUR MIGHTY HAND. THEY DELIGHT IN REVERING YOUR NAME. HE ASK GOD TO GIVE HIM FAVOR IN THE PRESENCE OF THIS MAN."

THAT THERE HAS BEEN REPENTANCE AMONG THE PEOPLE ALONG WITH A RENEWED OBEDIENCE AMONG THE RETURNEES. HE TELLS GOD THAT

"GOD HAS A STACK IN THE FUTURE OF JERUSALEM BECAUSE IT IS THE PLACE WHERE GOD NAME DWELLS AND THAT WHEN JERUSALEM AND THE GOD'S PEOPLE ARE IN DISGRACE IT REFLECTS ON GOD'S NAME."

IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE WORD OF GOD. IN ORDER TO GET GOD'S ATTENTION YOU MUST KNOW HIS WORD. YOU DON'T HAVE TO QUOTE IT WORD FOR WORD BUT GOD LOVES TO HEAR THAT YOU KNOW HIS WORD AND HIS PROMISES TO THE HIS PEOPLE. IF YOU KNOW HIS WORD THAN YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HIM (GOD) AND THIS PLEASES HIM.

Q2. (1:7-11) What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal? How does he argue his case before God? What do we learn from this about intercession?

He prayed and expressed his sorrow for Isreal's sin and his desire that Jeruselum would again seek and worship the one true God . He remembered God's own covenant of unfailing love and proimise to the decendants of Abraham. Just as Nehemiah used his place as a trusted servant to intercede for his people and we can use our present positions to serve God in the same way.

Nehemiah prayed and expressed his sorrow for Isreal's sin and his desire that Jeruselum would again return and worship the one true God. He Depended on God's covenant of unfailing love and promises to the decendants of Abraham. Just as Nehemiah used his place as a trusted servant to intercede for his people we can use our present positions to serve God.

Nehemiah's basis is none other than God's words Himself. He reminds God of what He said He would do (both bad, scatter and good, gather). There was nothing else to appeal to God with, seeing all of them had transgressed His ordinances. The only loop hole was the one God Himself inserted ... if you return unto me.

He argues, that truly they have sinned against Him, but, they've also repented. According to his word by His servant Moses, they've corrected the problem, now they seek His deliverance/fulfillment of His promise.

Their has to be a legitimate basis for our intercession to a Holy God. Christ becomes the basis on which we (as believers) reach/meet God. It's also the basis for the unbeliever too, for without Christ their is no mediator. As Nehemiah understood, self righteousness (personal or corporate) isn't available. There's none righteous no not one. So its either Christ or God's own words that we use as the basis for asking/intercession.

Q2 1: (7-11) What is the basis of Nehemiah's appeal? How does he argue his case before God? What do we learn from this about intercession?

Nehemiah prayed and expressed his sorrow for Isreal's sin and his desire that Jeruselum would again return and to woship the one true God. He recognized God's holiness. Asked for specific help in approaching the King. We learn from intercession, Prepared Nehemiah's heart and gave God room to rook. He put the expected results in God's hands.

WHAT IS THE BASIS OF NEHEMIAH'S APPEAL?. HE IS APPEALING TO GOD TO KEEP THE PROMISES THAT HE MADE TO MOSES, AND TO HAVE HIS KING, (ATRAXERXES) REVERSE HIS RULING.

HOW DOES HE ARGUE HIS CASE BEFORE GOD? WITH FAITH!. AGAIN HE REMINDS GOD OF THE COVENANT THAT HE HAS MADE WITH ISREAL, AND THAT THEY ARE THE CHOSEN, AND THAT THEY ARE GOD'S PEOPLE AND SERVANTS.

WHAT DO WE LEARN FROM THIS ABOUT INTERCESSION?. WE LEARN THAT THIS IS THE WAY TO PETITION GOD'S HELP FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, AND THE ANSWERING OF OUR PRAYERS.

Nehemiah reminded God of the laws and commands that He had given to Moses and quotes them back to Him. That He would scatter but would also gather them if they would repent and be obedient to His Word. That Jerusalem is a dwelling place that reflects God's name and they are His chosen people.

That no matter how long someone has been away or out of the will of God, God will restore them if they will repent and follow His Word and turn from their wicked ways and honor Him. HALLELUJAH!!!

He is calling to God to keep the promises that was made to Moses. He wanted the king at the present time to change the ruling that he made in regards to the Israelites.

How does he argue the case before God?

He goes to Him and faith and with boldness that even though they have sinned and fall shorrt. But Nehemiah also has the faith that God will see the heart of all the Israelites and forgive them and restore the walls.

What do we learn about this in intercession?

Intercession is showing to God that we care about others and their spirtual well being. When Nehemiah had intercessed it showed that He was not willing to give up until He recieved a response from God. Day and night he searched and intercessed on behalf of Jersulaem and the Israelites. It shows that by faith obedience that God will answer and forgive.

Nehemiah is reminding God of His promises which he gave to his servant Moses from Deuteronomy 30:1-3 If Israel would obey the commands of the Lord, what He would do for them, however, If they chose to disobey Gods command then God would scatter them. So Nehemiah begins to remind God of his promises to his servants.

I am reminded of the promises the Lord has made to my wife and I. There is an effective way to approach God, and there is a wrong way to approach Him. If we want God to respond to the cry of our heart, He must be approached correctly

Nehemiah is praying scripture and claiming God's very own promises as written in Deuternomy. He is asking also on the basis of the conditions God Himself laid out in those chapters in Deuteronomy regarding the people repenting and then God gathering back into the land that belongs to God.

We learn that praying scripture back to God can be a very effective and powerful tool to getting action and answers to prayer that is based upon God's very own words and promises. What a way to know we are in His will!

:D

The confession of sins. He quotes back to God what God has promised. The people have scattered but God promises that if they get it together He will restore His fortunes upon them.

He quotes back to God, God's own promise. Kind of bold but effective.

That God is God of His word. That one man can stand in the gap for a whole nation and pray for them expecting the result that God has promised.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

Nehemia's basis is God's word. He defends his prayer through the promises God gave to His children. That He will scatter them if they disobey and bring them back together if they obey. It is a good thing to know the promises of God and claim them according to the circumstances. If we do not know God's promises, then we fail to claim them in our daily lives and thus forgo the blessings already reserved for us.

He argues his case before God on the basis of His relationship. He says they are your children, bearing your name and living in a place designated by you. It is your honor that is at stake because your city is in ruins. You have scattered them and now you have brought them together, but the city that bears your name lies in ruins. So its your responsibility to restore unto them the city of the Lord.

What we learn from this intercession is very delightful. Here Nehemiah turns the tables on the Lord Himself and pressurises the Lord to hurry and solve the problem. Its not arm twisting but it is lesson of closeness to God. Once he knows the promises of God, Nehemiah clings to those promises and asks the Lord to deliver. Much to our delight, we too can do that, provided we know the correct promises that are in the Word of God. How simple and easy our Lord is to access. We should know the correct buttons to press and our Lord will surely answer. We Christians are the most privileged people of the lot.

That God would do what he said he would do in bringing his people all back together again after they repented of their sins. He wanted to see this happen.

He reminds God what he said he would do if they repented and returned to him. He prayed the word back to him.

That we can pray his word back to him and he will forgive us and let us return to him again. :rolleyes: