JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Name Yahweh

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yahweh was revealing His self-existent and eternal nature to the Israelites. This was an assurance that He would be with them without end in all the ways they already knew Him - Creator, El-Elyon, Shaddai, Sabaoth, etc. They were being challenged to more fully trust that His power to do all things would always be at work on their behalf, even when they couldn't see it. Since this name revealed a call to obedient faith, they were going to experience what they knew of Him in a deeper, personal way than ever before. This is definitely a contrast to the Egyptian idols of wood and stone that were all created by man and were certainly not eternal or powerful or personal.

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power?

That he always was and is and always will be. That He is mighty and Holy. :rolleyes:

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Our God is strong and merciful, powerful. Unlike the egyptians idols that can do nothing for us

Some may refer to this name as definitive of God, seperating Him from all other false gods, It shows His Eternal power, meaning that He didn't become or evolve into God, He always was GOD. Its rather mind blowing to even imagine such a concept especially in our modern society. But the truth is the truth GOD IS, and always will be, never at one time ceased to be or can be anything but GOD. This name reflects the awesomeness of His person/character as well as suggests His Glory etc.

As many of our young children to day would parrot, "no contest". God showed all of Eygpt how ludicrous it is to serve idol gods. When there was an opportunity to deplay their power, nothing there was no one to answer? God challenged at least 10 of the gods that they served and not one of them showed up to take the challenge. Yahweh name connotes life, vastness, contrast that to localized dead gods isn't a contrast its a travesty.

Yahweh means "I am who I am." When first reading that definition, one would think that it is a useless definition. That definition is not a listing of qualities, verbs nor adjectives. Just "I am." Yet, I AM is everything that one would ever desire or need in a god. He has been, is now and will always be. No other god can claim that! Yahweh is living and always will be living. God is what He reveals himself to be. No human being can assign qualities to God like idol worshippers do. God is a God of revelation, not some dead rock that is shaped into some creature with assigned qualities. Idols had limited characteristics or powers: god of fertility, the sun god, the god of thunder, etc. But Yahweh is unlimited in his characteristics and power. He is a living God who chooses to reveal himself to his Children - us! In that revelation to us, we discover who the great I AM is.

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power? How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

Yahweh reveal him in person and power as the Creator before the begaining and endingas the Alpha and

Omega , the first and the last.

The high preist, king above all kings that will rule and live for ever. He's immortal, invisible the only living God.

The One who reigns and inhabits eternity and the One who lives forever.

The idols worshipped by the Egyptians cann't compare with him they can only be in one place at a time and some are man made. :):)

Two names God would now be known by. Aname that denotes what he is jn himself, I AM THAT I AM. This explains Yahweh,and signifies, 1) That he is self-existent: he has his being of himself. 2) That he is eternal and unchangeable, and always the same,yesterday,to-day,and forever.3) That he is incomprehensible; we cannot by searching find him out:this name checks all bold and curios inquiries concerning God. 4) That he is faithful and true to all his promises,unchangeable in his word as well as in his nature. No idols of Egyptians or false believers could ever stand against God our creator.

God's name Yahweh reveals that He is the "Self-Existence One." He is eternal-existing yesterday,today, and forever. His name promises that He will continue to be present with His people, that He will never forsake them.

The idols of the Egyptians were lifeless, made out of only rocks or wood or whatever. Yahweh is a living God.

An idol would only last until it was destroyed or was ceased to be worship.

Yahweh is eternal. He will continue to exist whether He is worshipped or not.

That He is First Last and Always. He is the all powerful God,there is none but Him. Thepeople were to know that He was the God of their Fathers and that there was no other God but Him.

He was the true God not like their idols which were temperory madw by man they could not do anything for man but take up space. They could not bless the people or in anyway help them out of their problems or get them from under Egypts control. The Egyptian idols were of the sun or moon or other planet and not the true God who could help them. They needed to know the true God and would when Moses brought the plegues that God would tell him to when they refused to let the Isreal people go.

That He is First Last and Always. He is the all powerful God,there is none but Him. Thepeople were to know that He was the God of their Fathers and that there was no other God but Him.

He was the true God not like their idols which were temperory madw by man they could not do anything for man but take up space. They could not bless the people or in anyway help them out of their problems or get them from under Egypts control. The Egyptian idols were of the sun or moon or other planet and not the true God who could help them. They needed to know the true God and would when Moses brought the plegues that God would tell him to when they refused to let the Isreal people go.

The name YAHWEH reveals a constantness; and a revelation that God Yahweh is going to be

with them always ! The gods and idols of the time were able to be destroyed by fire and they

were not always there constant they had to be created by human hands and they could easily

be broken and destroyed.

Yahweh I am that I am- eternal and constantly with them... alwas has existed no beginning

will be with you always will not be destroyed gave a feeling of confident strength was with them

This God could not be destroyed by human or earthly forces. and would always be with them

even in the next life or other diamension of life .

God's person is eternal , trust worthy, strong enough to uphold us now and forever.

Q1. (Exodus 3:1-15) What does God's name Yahweh reveal about his person and his power

It says that He is the Great I Am. He always was, He Is , and always will be.

How would an understanding of Yahweh's name contrast him with the idols worshipped by the Egyptians?

He is a God of Love and Compassion and has always been. The Egyptian idols are man made idols of wood and stone. :rolleyes:

God's name ''Yahwey'' reveals that HE is the SELF existent one, the one that will always be or who will continue to be, He who is the same forever, the unchangeable GOD, the beginning and the end. The one that has always being there. Nobody knows His origin and His ending. One that His power is unlimited.

When you really understand the meaning of Yahwey, you will know that He is the real and true God unlike the gods worshiped by the Egypians that are not eternal. In that case we say that they are unlimited because because they do not exist forever.And they do not have powers of their own. They are made by man but Yahwey is self existent and has always been there right from the beginning.No man can boast of HIS origin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God's name, Yahweh, reveals that He does not exist in time, that He has always been, He is the ultimate existence. There is no greater mystery known to man that he desires to conquer than time (just look in the Yellow Pages under "surgeons, plastic"). Since time is of no relevance to God and is not a hindrance to Him, He is all-powerful and beyond anything any human could imagine or strive for. If an ancient Egyptian could understand this very nature of Yahweh, he would feel foolish indeed to worship, honor, and sacrifice to a "god" that is fashioned by human hands and is at the mercy of time and its adverse effects.

• 4 weeks later...

That he is the first and the last. Also Yahweh is also translated to Jehovah....which is Our Creator's Name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"I AM WHAT I AM", What a powerful 5 words and probably 5 of the most powerful words I have ever seen. I believe here that the full believe in the Trinity is at hand. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. God is what he says is, he will never change. Understanding the name Yahweh shows eternity, He Was, He is, He always will be, idols worshipped by Egyptians could be changed or destoyed.

It tells us that He was from the very beginning and He is now and He will be forever more. The God is the same then, now, and forever more. He will be with us always. There is no other god like Him. Idols come and go, but God can never leave, He is the great I Am.

God

• 3 weeks later...

The Egyptians had many gods by different names , Moses wantent to know God's name so the Hebrew people would know exactly who had sent him to them, God called Himself I AM, a name describing His Eternal Power and Unchangeable Character . In a world where values , morals , and laws change constantly , we can find stability and security in Our Unchanging God . The God who appeared to Moses is the same God who can live in us today.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no other like Him anywhere the same always yesterday and tomarrow. All poweful all knowing, all in all.