JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. First and Last

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LORD existed before the start of time and will be there after the end of time. I AM WHO I AM and "Alpha and Omega, who is and who was and who is to come" both say the same thing to me: He is self-existent and eternal. God has no beginning and no end. He existed before anything that He created was made (which, of course, is everything!). He always was and always will be.

This should strengthen my faith to build my life on the only One, the only foundation, that is certain and unchanging. My mortal existence on earth is brief, and cannot compare to my future in immortality. Knowing I was created for eternity should change my perspective in living out my life. Everything I do here, everything I treasure here should be based on that truth. I don't need earthly possessions or positions or prestige. Everything of value is on the other side. Oh, to be cured of my chronic shortsighted tunnel vision!

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

That there was never time he was not around. He is eternal. He has no beginning and no end. He always was, and always will be. :rolleyes:

How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

That he is our eternal Father. :rolleyes:

The very words "first and last" lets me know that God is ALL, nothing less that ALL. There's nothing in between but GOD . There is none like Him, His existence was from the beginning and if there is an end He's that too. Everthing starts and stops with Him. It's like trying to imagine a day without the sun or life without breathing or spagetti without the gravy (sauce for some). Its just there, and has to be there, He's omni-present you just know He's there and always will be, if He ceases to exist, since He hold my life, I would cease to exist or better put wouldn't want to live in a world without GOD.

It just reiterates God's Totality in creation, we've heard Him say, "I'm God, and there is none else, I'm God and besides me there is none else". What God revealed of Himself to Moses' was none other that the same God we encounter here, the "first" in Genesis and the "last" in Revelations. No more books after that. He showed Moses' His uniqueness and revealed to him what "a" GOD does and CAN do.

The words "Alpha and Omega," the first and the last, is too small of a definition of God because it is limiting. "First and Last" suggests that there was a beginning and there will be an end of God. That is not true! Even though my natural mind cannot understand, I believe that God always was and always will be. He is the "I AM" or "Everlasting" God. He is El Olam - everlasting, never ending, the Eternal God. He inhabits eternity in the past and in the future. Doesn't those two words, alpha and omega, contradict the true nature of "I AM" by implying that God had a beginning and an ending?

The same seems to be implied in "Ancient of Days" because this suggests that a time element is linked to God as if there is an amount of days past - ancient - that identifies when God first began. It is an "ancient number of days." God is not caught up in time as we know it on earth. There are no hours, days, or years with God. It is a term we use in the natural. Yet, how can we describe God without using our natural form of speaking and in our experiences of time? Yes, God is the Ancient of Days - but He is much more than that! He always was, is and always will be. There was no beginning as the phrase "ancient of days" seems to imply.

I like the title "I AM who I AM" because no amount of English words will ever describe completely who God is. English words will always be too limiting for who God, Yahweh, completely is. He is the Great I AM. He is who He says He Is. By faith I believe that!

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM"?

First and last tells me there will never be another God or creator because He is all there will ever be the beganing and the ending both.

Rev 1:8 relate God's revelation to moses "I AM THAT I AM" meaning that He is what He say and who he say's he is. He's the Only True and living God the Creator of the universe and man kind (back to the Alpha and Omega). B)

The idea of "first"and"last" tell"s me about God, is that he is the one an only God and no other Gods like him. He is the only creator of the heavens and earth.

God"s revelation to Moses,God is the past,present,and future. Without him we have nothing that is eternal,nothing that can change our lives,and nothing can save us from sin.Honor and respect the one who is the beggining and the end of all existence,wisdom and power.

The idea of "first" and "last" tells me that God has existence from the beginning. There have been no other gods besides Him and there never will be.

Revelation 1:8 relates to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM" because it explains that God is forever. He exists in the present, "who is", He exists in the past," who was", and He exists in the future, "who is to come".

The Idea of alpha and omega, the first and the last to me seems to coincide and be the same as

Iam that I am.

In the alpha and omega, I see God always was before things were made and he will continue whether

earthly things continue or not. he is eternal.

and Iam that I am seems to say similar I always was and I always will continue t be. existe be eternal.

it just seems to be the people here in the earthly realm that he is revealing himself to that

makes him change his revelation of himself to them as to be known by them some people

can identify with diffrence words and revelations than others dealing with what they are living

with A person living in a time of peace will relate to a diffrent revelatoin of god than a person

living in a time of conflict and war. A person that lives around and in Mountains will relate more

to a God of strength like the strength of a rock or mountain where a person that lives in a place

of relative sandy soil and few vegetation thrive may get more from a God revealing himself as

eteranl and all sustaining that will protect and provide vegetation and food and sustinance to

them.... I feel God ( Knows where we are ) and the Name and revelation of himself to us

depends on our circumstances... and knowing us He knows how to reveal himself to us at the

time and place wer are in or at.......... :blink:

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God? How does Revelation 1:8 relate to God's revelation to Moses, "I AM THAT I AM

It tells me He always was and always will be that with out Him nothing could exist. He has always been there for His people and always will be. He chose us out of time to place us here at this moment and it was Him who decided that we should livve to serve Him. I AM THAT I AM is telling His people that with out Him nothing can exist and that He will always be there when His chosen people seek Him with the love and respect that He requires us to have in worshiping Him. I AM all things to all people, everything you can ever need or hope for. I AM your only need in Him all your needs are met and have their beginning.

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

He has always been, and will always be.

He is what He says He is. The One and only true God and without Him we are nothing. :rolleyes:

This means that God is eternal and self existent. He has always being there from the beginning. He is the God who was, who is and who is to come. He has always been there.

Revelation 1:8 ''I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is and who was and who is to come'' relates to God's revelation to Moses, ''I AM THAT I AM'' in the sense that God is saying that He has always been there and always the same. He does not change. He is all in all and will remain in charge all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In my limited view, the idea of His being the "first" and "last" has something to do with His existing outside of time. Of course, we cannot comprehend this since everything we know is in relation to time and distance. I think He is referring to the fact that He is omnipresent, everywhere in every time, all at once. In my mind, any being that Himself, is omnipresent, must also be omniscient and omnipotent; time seems to be the shackles with which all things are fettered but which God is not. He created time and therefore has ultimate power over all things, since all things (that we know) exist in time.

In relation to "I AM," it's as if Yahweh is saying that He is the ultimate in existence, He is existence itself, which in regards to our own existence, jives with what is said about the Word in John 1:3: All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lord created the Heavens and Earth so he was first, and he will be the last standing on judgement day, welcoming his fathful followers. Revelation 1:8 shows/states to Moses "God is himeself, always was and and still will be when he comes. He is the only and Almighty God. "Shivers up my spine, saying that"

• 2 weeks later...

It tells me that God is the one and only. That he created all things, that he owns all things, including man. God is eternal from the beginning to the end and encompasses all inbetween. There is no other god, no other creator. He is the one and only Yahweh.

I AM THAT I AM tells us that God is all things, He IS our provider, our source, our doctor, our lawyer, our comforter. He is from time eternal and always will be. Nothing, not even family, husbands, wives, children or parents come before Him. He is all things.

The expressions of

• 3 weeks later...

Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabets . The Lord God is the beginning and the end . God the Father is eternal Lord and Ruler of the past , present , and future . Without Him we have nothing that is eternal , nothing that can change our life , nothing that can save us from sin .

The Lord is the reason for my living " the Alpha and Omega " of my life . I honor the One Who is The beginning and The End of all existence , wisdom , and power.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 44:6; Revelation 1:8) What does the idea of "first" and "last" tell you about God?

"First" and "last" says that God is God from eternity to eternity. Before any other god was considered to be created, God was and when all other gods are destroyed, God will continue being the only true God.

As God revealed himself to Moses "I AM THAT I AM" and as given in Revelation 1:8, God is revealed as eternal. For God has no beginning and there is no end to His existence; He is everlasting.

• 1 month later...

God is in the beginning; Gen: 1:1 and He is in the in ending of this world; Rev: 21: 1-6. He is all that man needs in between the beginning and the end. God breathed life into man and God dead on the cross for man so that nothing could ever stand in the way for man to be with God This is why John 19: 30 holds such a magnificent statement by Jesus,

• 3 months later...

God is. He always has been, He always will be. He was first--He existed before anything and everything else. He is last, He will exist even after everything else is gone. He is eternal--He was (past), He is (present), and He is to come (future). God simply put, Is.

• 2 months later...

Gen 1:1, 3a In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth... And God said...

Joh 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Rev 22:17-21 The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.

God has the first and the last word. He is the first and the last word.

Rev. 1:8 denotes the same eternal implications as The Great I Am. He is forever, who was, and is, and is to come. I did a search on "the Alpha and the Omega" and "the First and the Last". When I look through these verses, the dominant theme that accompanies the Lord as the First and the Last is the theme of justice, reward, and triumph for the righteous. Here are a few.

Rev 1:17-18 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying to me, Do not fear, I am the First and the Last, and the Living One, and I became dead, and behold, I am alive for ever and ever, Amen. And I have the keys of hell and of death.

Rev 22:11-13 He acting unjustly, let him still act unjustly. And the filthy, let him be filthy still. And the righteous, let him be righteous still. And the holy, let him be holy still. And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to each according as his work is. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, the First and the Last.

Rev 21:5-7 And He sitting on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And He said to me, Write, for these words are true and faithful. And He said to me, It is done. I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who thirsts I will give of the fountain of the Water of Life freely. He who overcomes will inherit all things, and I will be his God, and he will be My son.