JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Unmerciful Servant

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant’s action?

The parable is about forgiving, whether large or small, it doesn't matter, we need to forgive. That is what Jesus wanted us to learn from this. The king was insulted, because he showed mercy, for such a great debt and yet, the one forgiven would not forgive the debt owed him. If we think about it, Jesus, paid a huge debt, that we owed. He died on the cross, so we wouldn't have to. He wants us to forgive others, as He forgave us. We don't want to insult the King of Kings, by not forgiving. :rolleyes:

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?

The contrasting difference between the huge debt and the small debt is that we see, there should be no difference to the compassion we render to others; how could we not but have this same compassion for others, after our lives have been touched with the great Compassion our Lord?

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe?

We owed the huge debt, ten thousand talents an amount we would never be able to pay.

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant's action?

The king offered

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant's action?

The huge debt was so big that the person was not able to pay even if he worked the whole of his life, and the small debt that person could have paid if he could have been given time.

Because God has forgiven all our sins, we should not withhold forgiveness from others. As we realize how completely Christ has forgiven us, it should produce an attitude of forgiveness toward others. When we don

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?

I think the contrast is that mercy was given with the large debt and no mercy with the smallone. Both are the SAME in the eyes of forgiveness.

Our debt would be the large one...we owe so very much that Christ Jesus forgave and showed us mercy.

Which debt might be owed us?

We might be owed the small debt, by wrongs or bad actions others have done to us. But we are told to keep forgiving and not hold that against someone else. If we do not have mercy for others, how can we expect God to have mercy for us ???

The king was insulted because he had forgiven so much....a sum he knew he would never get back and wiped it away...but the servant was owed a small amount and was mad and reactive about this....not forgiving at all. It seems he had forgotten so quickly the mercy his king had shown for him.

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35)

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?

To show us that certain debts cannot be repaid. It is only by His grace and mercy that the debt could be paid in full and we be granted full and free forgiveness.

All of us being sinful we would be in huge debt

Q2 The purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one is not about the

amount that counts but what results out of it eventually. Will there be forgiveness

on the involved part. Will he be able to let go and let bygone be bygone.

Our debts are more to the King. As we are of the flesh and are weak, every day we

tend to sin against God whether commissioned or omission.

When hurt by our fellow men.

The King was insulted because as a merciful King, he has forgiven the unmerciful

servant who in turn expect him to do the same with his fellow servant. Instead

he did the opposite thus invoking the wrath of the King.

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servants action?

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? ANSWER: In the case of this parable the King is the Lord, you and I are His servants, the debts we owe represent our sins, and the jailer is Satan

Our debt of sin against the Lord is similarly impossible to repay, but in the Lords case He cant simply overlook it. His requirement for justice demands the debt be paid in full. Knowing this, He sent His Son to pay it for us. This freed Him to completely and unconditionally forgive us just because we ask Him to.

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? ANSWER: The huge debt!

Which debt might be owed us? ANSWER: The small debt in comparison!

Why was the King insulted by the unmerciful servants action? Answer: The King was insulted, in the same way Jesus is insulted, hurt, and offended when we don't forgive others! Because the King had forgiven the servant such as large debt,he expects, REQUIRES, his servant to certainly forgive his debtor who who owed so much less in comparison. In the same way jesus requires that we forgive!

The contrast of the huge debt with the small one was to point out that in forgiving another, it doesn't really have to do with the amount of debt, but the compassion and forgiveness shown in forgiving any debt. I think it also pointed out, the ingratitude people can have. The one man was forgiven a HUGE debt. He was grateful to BE forgiven, but he didn't apply the gratitude or compassion TOWARDS another, even though the circumstances were similar. Give or take a few dollars! :rolleyes:

Which debt do I owe? The huge debt. I weep to think of what has been canceled and blotted out from my past. When I think of every day now and the times I fail, I know I have a huge debt to bring to the cross and lovingly look to Jesus and His atoning sacrifice there. Any debt owed me is pale in comparison and I'm very grateful to be reminded by the Holy Spirit, to forgive when my own sinfulness wants to hold back on that. He always reminds me of the grace He pours down on me and succeeds in changing my heart towards others.

Why was the King insulted? Here he had given a great measure of mercy and compassion towards the noble man, forgiving all his debt and then the man didn't even pass on that goodness to another. He was insulted by the noble mans selfishness, lack of compassion, mercy and his ingratitude I think.

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?

I love this parable...it's where I started out in my Christian walk, incensed by the sins of others, totally oblivious to my own sin and fallen nature. I actually thought I was "righteous"....had no clue that I was a sinner but loved Salvation and knowing I'd be in Heaven with the Lord for eternity. I just wanted to be sure that "those sinners" wouldn't muddy up the golden streets I was going to walk on!

Turns out I'm the one in the parable with the huge debt! So huge that the precious blood of my Lord was shed to purchase me back from the devil! What great love He has for sinners!

Which debt might be owed us?

The small debt, which doesn't require me to "shed" anything but pride and self righteousness, in order to extend grace and mercy to others.

The King (King of King and Lord of Lords!!!) left His Glory in Heaven, came to earth as a helpless babe to live a perfect life and then die for the huge debt of every sinner who would ever live, then rose to life again so that we could not only live in freedom but could extend the same forgiveness to those who offend us (even greatly!!!!). He was insulted by the clueless self righteousness of the unmerciful servant, whom I used to be "back in the day"...Thank God for His correction and patience!!!!

It is truly amazing how Christ place things in context, so often I miss it even though I read and study His Word daily. Nonetheless when it is revealed it is eye opening. I love this passage of Scripture. The Holy Spirit speaks to us all and this is what I gained from these verses. I can

Jesus wanted to emphasize the depth of God's forgiveness of our sins.

The king in the parable is of course God. It is within his power to forgive a debt worth millions of dollars just on a whim and be no worse off for it. Consider this: He was still the king, still had the kingdom and everything in it. He just wasn't going to get what this servant owed him. Such was the size of his kingdom and his resources that it was of no real consequence to miss out on getting $600 million. So when the servant who owed that massive debt begged for mercy and time to pay, the king was magnanimous enough to simply wipe the debt.

The forgiven servant represents us, you and me. His debt to the king was most likely accrued over his entire lifetime, and so could never be repaid. That servant couldn't bring himself to forgive his fellow servant a relatively small, repayable amount. His fellow servant, with a bit of effort, could have repaid his debt to the man in full. So often we harbor grudges and unforgiving attitudes to others. Jesus is telling us to let it go. OK, sometimes the offense against us is no trifling matter. We may have been abused by a parent or spouse, or bullied without ceasing, been mugged or robbed . . . and these things may be still happening. Nevertheless Jesus still says we should forgive.

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us?

Speaking only for myself, I'm the guy who owes millions. As far as sins piled up are concerned mine is a damning record. I reckon I'm not the lone ranger in that department either. The Bible says ALL have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. By God's standards there is no one worse than anyone else because the same God who said don't commit adultery also said don't murder. He who breaks one law breaks them all, in God's view. We need to remember that God is Holy. He cannot tolerate sin, yet he does for our sake else we should all perish. To do this He gave His only begotten Son to suffer punishment in our place. A debt had to be paid and He paid it Himself.

Plenty of people have wronged me. Many are continuing to do so. They figure they can get away with it and so they do. In some cases they aren't actually committing any sins against me, just making things difficult or impossible for me to make a living and to achieve success and peace of mind in my profession. In other cases they are actually telling outright lies about me to hurt my reputation and conspiring together to put me out of business. I used to blog about my activities in the music industry and I'd have a little dig at the people (booking agents, etc) who were defaming me . . . until I was tipped off that some of them were organizing their fellow conspirators to sue ME for slander!! As I was deleting my blogs, my hit counter was going crazy from the ringleaders trying to copy as many blogs as they could before I deleted them, since I had to do it one at a time. Thanks to that my website now comes up on page one of Google if I type in my name! That how serious they were in trying to push me out of the industry. That sort of thing is hard to forgive when it's an ongoing thing and the people doing it are actually gaining ground against me. They'll never stop doing that. I have to learn to forgive them and get on with doing what I do in such a way as to work around them. With God's help I'm doing that. Every now and then I take stock and actually pray to God, and in Christ I forgive the people who are against me. I list them by name and what they've done that I know about and I consciously forgive them in Jesus' name. With God's Help I continue to be an active busy participant and make my living in what is a precarious line of work . . . a professional musician who makes his entire living as a performer. I'm not writing any of this to make myself out as someone great. I simply illustrate how I personally put forgiveness into practice as best I can. I still have a ways to go as far as learning not to brood over the bad breaks I've had and the people who deliberately caused them.

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant

I think that the purpose of casting the huge debt with the small one is put the point across. The Unmerciful Servant was forgiven much but was unwilling to forgive a small amount.

If I were to put myself in the parable, the debt that I would owe monetarily would be the small debt.

The debt that might be owed to me would also be small.

The king was insulted by the unmerciful servant

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant's action?

Matthew 18:23-35 - 23 "Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. 26 "At this the servant fell on his knees before him. 'Be patient with me,' he begged, 'and I will pay back everything.' 27 The servant's master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. 28 "But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. 'Pay back what you owe me!' he demanded. 29 "His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.' 30 "But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened. 32 "Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35 "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart."

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? There is no difference. When one sins against God, it is a sin and we can not judge that, only God can.

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? The larger one, because we can not repay it to God. God provide us the grace and He will cancel our debt.

Which debt might be owed us? It would have to be the smaller because we only have to forgive our fellow human being.

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant's action? The unmerciful servant did not treat others as the king treated him. Really what this means is that if God will forgive us, then we must forgive our fellow human being.

This is called the parable of the unmerciful or unforgiving servant. It is only found here and was spoken by Jesus in response to Peter