JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Foundational Forgiveness

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement:

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious?

Jesus never wasted words on foolishness. I believe He is emphasizing how important forgiveness is...for us and for our "debtors". For me to refuse to forgive others demonstrates not only the hardness of my heart, but the unwillingness to see that I'm a sinner. (I lived on that street for a few years when I was a new believer, and thank God for giving me a stern "Word" through a stranger "You are like the oak...you must learn to bend like the willow or you will break".....with His grace and mercy and healing, I'm very "bendable" now toward forgiveness.)

I believe He is addressing the "fallen Pharisee" in each of us, which prevents us from reflecting His character and nature to others. To truly be His disciple, we must more and more grow into His likeness through our surrender to Him and the crucifixion of our flesh or fallen nature. I believe He's saying, hardened, unrepentant hearts do not glorify Him, and will face consequences.....but: "a bruised reed He will not break, nor will He quench a smoldering wick", so once again He takes up the slack and softens the hardened heart if it has a smidgen of willingness to let Him work in it, as He has done in mine.

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

It has been my experience to be both....first I learned the principle (with the warning that I was not to remain Hardened and bitter), then as I experienced His grace and healing, it has been said of me "You're a great forgiver". (All glory to Him for showing me that He's a great forgiver, first and foremost)

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35)

Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."?

We as His children have had all our sins forgiven by faith in Jesus Christ. Therefore when someone sins against him, he ought to be willing to forgive

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. I don't think Jesus was trying to "frighten" us, as in scare us, for He doesn't give us a spirit of fear, but He does want us to "respect" God and take seriously what He is`saying and the principles that the Kingdom of God lives by. He is warning us for our own good....teaching us about God our Father. Yes....He's very serious. We can't consider anything in God's Word as not serious! I know people pick and choose what they "prefer" to hear and compromise on....but the Word is truth and there to instruct us. We would do well to take it seriously.

Forgiveness is a foundational principle of the Kingdom...and by the power of the Holy Spirit we can forgive, but sometimes we do have to learn a principle by experience....sometimes by application over and over in circumstances if we are weak in faith. Sigh. :(

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Matthew 18:34-35 - 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35 "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart."

Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? I do not think that He is trying to frighten us. He is just telling us how it would be and what we should be doing. It is just like our earthly parents told what we should do or do not. If we choose the wrong path, then we would be punished.

Is he serious? YES!!!!

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom? It has to be a foundational principle of the Kingdom. I believe that grace can only be given by God and it is something that we can not be given just because we learn about it.

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious?

Without God’s judgment, there would be no need for His mercy, yes; Jesus words ring loud and clear, “WOE” unto those who do not fear His God and Father, the God of mercy and grace.

The servant, who was forgiven a huge debt, had NO compassion for his brother, when he asked for a little mercy, out of his heart came evil and wickedness, as he demanded he be put in jail, until the debt is paid.

Woe” unto the man who received mercy and in return had no mercy to offer.

Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

I believe forgiveness, seen as mercy, compassion and love, is the foundation of God’s Kingdom; sad to say, I do believe mercy is something that is learned, as we begin our walk in righteousness, “WOE” to those who think the cross is a way for the believer to continue to walk in the flesh, to continue to walk in his evil ways, after receiving God’s great mercy that was offered to him.

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you...”? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

Jesus frightens us with this statement because we don't want to think that we have to "DO" anything to enter the Kingdom of God! We want our entrance to be FREE! A free ticket!! Yes, Jesus is absolutely serious about his request. Forgiveness is both a foundational principle of the Kingdom and a learned grace. We must learn from Jesus' forgiveness, through grace he forgave us our sins, which are much greater than anyone could sin against us.. So, therefore we MUST forgive as Christians, to honor our Lord's sacrifice! It is MANDATORY!

Q3. (Matthew 18:34-35) Why does Jesus frighten us with his statement: "This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you..."? Is he serious? Is forgiveness (1) a learned grace, or (2) a foundational principle of the Kingdom?

No offence our neighbours can do to us can compare with our debt to God! We have been forgiven a debt, which is beyond all paying; to ransom our debt of sin God gave up his only begotten Son. If God has forgiven each of us our debt, which was very great, we, too must forgive others the debt they owe us. Jesus teaches that one must forgive in order to be forgiven. If we do not forgive our fellow man we cannot expect God to forgive us. James says that judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy (James 2:13). Mercy is truly a gift and it is offered in such a way that justice is not negated. Mercy "seasons" justice as "salt" seasons meat and gives it flavour. Mercy follows justice and perfects it. To pardon the unrepentant is not mercy but license. C.S. Lewis, a contemporary Christian author wrote: "Mercy will flower only when it grows in the crannies of the rock of Justice: transplanted to the marshlands of mere Humanitarianism, it becomes a man-eating weed, all the more dangerous because it is still called by the same name as the mountain variety." If we want mercy shown to us we must be ready to forgive others as God has forgiven us. Do you hold any grudge or resentment towards anyone?

Pax

Jesus' statement shouldn't frighten us. Keep in mind here that the brother seeks mercy, seeks forgiveness.

Jesus is very serious. Again, keep in mind what Jesus went through in an ultimate act of forgiveness. And His incredible statement while suffering enormous pain: "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."

Forgiveness is a foundational principle of the Kingdom. "I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance." (Luke 15:7)

To show us how very important this concept is--to forgive. Look at what I forgave you, and you do not forgive others???? How can you live this way? Of course He is serious & if we are frightened it's because we haven't been forgiving others as we should.

It's a foundational principle and learned too. It is not natural for us to forgive others. But Jesus teaches us His way--His Kingdom path.