JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Mustard Seed and Leaven

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven?

Jesus point was to give, to inject hope, increase faith and give a point of reference. By giving a comparison by way of a word picture, He give the listener a picture they can envision, compare. The Kingdom will grow, beginning small and ending larger than its beginning.

Notes:

Mustard Seed

Verse 19 a man took, and cast the mustard seed (the Word) into his garden (the hearts of those who received it); and it (the Word by FAITH) grew, and waxed a great tree (two or more held true to the Word); and the fowls of the air lodged in the branches of it (those that understand they are saved by grace will take the weight off their feet under the shadow of a Gospel ministry with great joy, they will abide; and "make their nests (their resting place)". In the Old Testament a tree large enough to support nesting birds was considered prosperous and healthy (Psalm 104:12; Ezekiel 17:23; 31:6; Daniel 4:12, 21). The kingdom beginning would be small, but would grow and be prosperous.

Leaven (influence / affect / effect growth) - Leaven in itself is not evil, in the Scriptures it is often used as a symbol an analogy to convey the pervading, transforming effect or influence it has (positive or negative). [Leviticus 23:17 & Amos 4:5 portrayed it in a good light / good use]

Baker's Evangelical Dictionary = The first occurrence is in the parable of the leaven (Matt 13:33; Luke 13:20-21). This parable teaches that the reign of God is like what happens when leaven permeates a batch of dough. Jesus' point is that the small, insignificant beginnings of God's reign in himself will one day be great. Although the parable does not describe how this will happen, it alludes to Jesus' future reign as the Son of Man.

Easton Bible Dictionary = it is used to illustrate the growth of the kingdom of heaven both in the individual heart and in the world (Matthew 13:33).

Holman Bible Dictionary = Jesus also used leaven to illustrate the pervasive growth of the kingdom of God (Matthew 13:33).

Fausset Bible Dictionary =Though elsewhere used in a bad sense, leaven in Matthew 13:33 represents the gospel principle working silently "without observation" from within, until the whole is leavened, just as the mustard tree represents its diffusion externally.

The understanding that I gather from this verse is that is confirms there will be growth in the kingdom. Luke 13:20 renders it " Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?".

Note: Think about what transforms the solid mass of flour and water into the loaves. Not taking the verse out of context but in a different thought so to speak. The Holy Spirit is the power that gets into human lives and changes them. In order to work effectively, He must be allowed full access to the whole life - thoughts, the ambitions and plans.

Some try to change their own lives by breaking off this or that habit. But these are just external changes which do not affect the heart. No person in Christ can transform his or her own life. Just as yeast must be put into the dough before it can rise, so a power wholly from without, the Holy Spirit, must be taken into the life to bring about change.

How would this be encouraging to Jesus

The point is that something that begins so small and perhaps evenn insignificant can end up large.....a full grown tree or a lovely large loaf of bread.

I wonder if Jesus used the examples of birds and leaven on purpose, to make a point. The Jews understood leaven to be a symbol of sin (though that didn't stop them from using it outside of Passover.) And Jesus had used the example of birds to be the devil. But he also said that not one sparrow fell without his Father caring. I wonder if Jesus used those examples in his parables about faith because he knew that so many people feel unworthy, unsanctified, never good enough. As though they are on the devil's team even if they don't want to be. This can especially happen to conscientious believers. I think Jesus was saying that no matter what you feel about yourself, however small and insignificant we each think we are, we are an essential cog in a very big wheel. We need to do our best and not compare ourselves with others, because God is working with each one of us.

I'm fascinated by the progress science is making in the microscopic things. We used to think that the smaller things got, the simpler they were. But as we look into a cell......good grief it's complicated! And elements are made up of complicated molecular combinations, which are made up of complicated atomic combinations. And atoms are made up of....... I bet, the more they search, they're going to find that the smaller things get, there's still something smaller.....and so very complex.

We think of God being huge, and I suppose he is. But I also think he's infinitely small, small enough to go to infinity with smallness. At which point I throw up my hands in wonder.....why, "big" is just a perfectly coordinated system of smalls. Big would NOT EXIST without the smalls. Makes me very grateful to be a small, with an orbit designed for me, and a Father who understands if I wobble out of orbit more often - it seems - than not.

Jesus said the first would be last and the last would be first. I think he was absolutely serious when he said that. Our judgement is often faulty. He sees the infinite complexity and value of each person in the masses of people that are usually belittled and overlooked.

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven? How would this be encouraging to Jesus' disciples who had expected an instant Messianic Kingdom? How might it be encouraging to people experiencing smallness or poverty in their lives?

The mustard seed was the smallest seed a farmer used. Jesus used this parable to show that the Kingdom has small beginnings but will grow and produce great results.

Jesus used this parable to explain that although Christianity had very small beginnings, it would grow into a worldwide community of believers. When you feel alone in your stand for Christ, realize that God is building a worldwide Kingdom. He has faithful followers in every part of the world, and your faith, no matter how small, can join with that of others to accomplish great things.

The general expectation among Jesus

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21)

To teach us that from small beginnings great things come about.

How would this be encouraging to Jesus' disciples who had expected an instant Messianic Kingdom?

Jesus, by His powerful teaching and also by the miracles He performed, had convinced these disciples that He was the Messiah. These two parables taught them that despite small and seemingly insignificant beginnings, and the overwhelming task ahead, the gospel will prevail. God

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven? How would this be encouraging to Jesus disciples who had expected an instant Messianic Kingdom? How might it be encouraging to people experiencing smallness or poverty in their lives?

The point of the mustard seed and leaven is that the seed was small when you put it in theis ground but when it come up it get growns and becomes large. It is encouraging because we will start off small but with time we become larger in christ.There is no instant in the kingdom. I know how it is not to have and to have small when everyone around you have big or better but God word say don't forget small beginning and this is my small beginning.

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven?

Jesus' point was that the Kingdom would start relatively small and grow from there. He mentioned often that the Kingdom would be like that because expectations were high that He would somehow miraculously snap His fingers or something and cause the overthrow of their Roman oppressors. Jesus' miracles were greater than any previously done, eclipsing even Elijah who would have been a real folk hero to Israel. I believe the people were building their hopes up for an earthly kingdom to come, and come soon!

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven? What may appear small and insignificant and even possibly a waste of time to us now, will one day become large and a vital part of everything

Jesus wants his disciples and us to know that the kingdom is always growing. With the pariable of the mustard seed one can understand that the small things we do today can grow and change. The pariable of the bread allow one to understand that that all things operate (if allowed,) with-in other parts. The part one plays today may not be understood for a long time if ever. Jesus wants us to know that the true gifts are not here, so do not get discouraged. Keep you head up and keep doing the important things and God will provide the things we need.

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven?

I like to think that Jesus was describing Himself as the Mustard Seed....the beginning here on earth of the Kingdom. He said elsewhere "Unless the kernel of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone...just one grain. But if it dies, it produces many others and yields a rich harvest." John 12:24 When he died, was buried then rose again,He entered into the hearts of "whosoever will", by His Spirit and the Kingdom has grown into a tree whose branches have spread around the entire earth, and through every generation and will continue to grow until "that day".

How would this be encouraging to Jesus' disciples who had expected an instant Messianic Kingdom?

This was a definite paradigm shift....one which would produce patience and perseverance and the ability to "walk with Jesus" rather than "running ahead of Him" to try to make their expectation a reality. It demonstrates God's great patience in all things!

How might it be encouraging to people experiencing smallness or poverty in their lives?

I believe it was Zechariah who said "Who despises the day of small beginnings?" Even children start out from a "seed", and grow slowly into adulthood. Slow and steady wins the race, the fable of the tortoise and the hare tells us, which I believe is scriptural. We read of people who win huge amounts of money in a lottery and are destroyed by the enormity of it. And yet in the law of exponential multiplication I'm told that if one puts $100.00 in savings every month starting at the age of 20, by the time one is 65, there will be a million dollars. There are folks called "shooting stars" who suddenly rise up out of nowhere and brighten the horizon for a short time and are never heard from again....then there are those who rise through the ranks of smallness, unknown, yet growing in grace and wisdom, and able to be trusted with more wealth, or more acclaim, who rise up and change the world.

Present circumstances or past ones don't dictate our future!! Small does not mean insignificant...it hints of future growth!

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven? How would this be encouraging to Jesus' disciples who had expected an instant Messianic Kingdom? How might it be encouraging to people experiencing smallness or poverty in their lives?

Luke 13:19-21 - 19 It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his garden. It grew and became a tree, and the birds perched in its branches.

Q1. (Luke 13:19-21) What is the point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven? The point to me is no matter how small a seed I sow, as long as I have sown it in God’s Kingdom, and as I add leaven, my faith, incorporating it in, I can be assured that it will increase in size.

The disciples came to understand, all things are done in God’s timing, giving time for the Gentile’s to be grafted in, and their fullness become complete in size, that the Messiah, the Kingdom will come.

Q1 The point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven is that the Kingdom

of God may have small beginnings but with a large endings.

The Kingdom of God may begin small and insignificant but in the end it will grow and

become large and powerful as emphasized by these two Parables. This is encouraging to

Jesus' disciples when they later witnessed the spread of Christianity all over

the world.

Jesus comes for the poor and the down trodden. If we have Jesus in us, everything

is possible with Him. As faithful disciples of Christ, we will eventually inherit

the Kingdom He has promised us.

The point of the parable in the case of the mustard seed, is that it is one of the smallest seeds known. I've seen them! Out of this smallest of seeds comes a tree and that tree became big enough to house birds. When we begin in faith, we really start out new. We are very small in our beginnings, like newborns, and not grown. As we grow in the Kingdom, we become more substantial, we mature and eventually branch out to support others too.

In the parable of the leaven, there was an ingredient that was needed to expand and grow the bread dough. I always am reminded we also, need certain ingredients to grow and expand, such as the Word of God. In both these parables though, what started small, was grown and multiplied and made into a support for another (in the case of the Mustard seed) and into bread for food (in the case of the leaven).

This would have been encouraging to the disciples who were expecting the Messiah to come and usher in the Kingdom by force. They thought it would be by military coup that this would happen. Once they walked with Jesus for a length of time, and had by that time, an inkling that what He was about, was NOT going to happen the way they expected, these teachings would have been encouraging to understand what the Kingdom was and how it would grow and expand.

I have very often been encouraged by these parables. Most of us will quietly go about our work for the Kingdom. We may feel insignificant in the face of what the world deems "worthy" of anything. I know I can be small in the Kingdom and continue to grow and I may house and support two or three others at a time at first, and then grow and house and support more from there, but I can be encouraged to continue on. The Kingdom is advancing one at a time. I also am encouraged as I grow and learn. I don't know everything and I'm always learning, but I can continue to grow in grace and knowledge, knowing God will complete in me the good work He began and that everyone around me deserves the same grace and patience I am shown by God. We advance and expand the Kingdom in these ways....small and insignificant as it may seem.

The point of the Parables of the Mustard Seed and the Leaven is to teach that whatever ministry one may be doing now,no matter how small,because of the Kingdom's influence,it will someday be very great.

This would encourage Jesus' disciples, who expected an instant Messianic Kingdom, by helping them realize that while just a small group now,wihin a generation after Christ's death,the Christian faith would spread all over the world.

This might be encouraging to people experiencing smallness or poverty in their lives by helping them realize that their suffering is just temporary compared to the eternal glory they will experience with God in heaven.