JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fear and Courage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

1. I believe that fear of what people will say or do to us, keeps us from fully trusting in God's commands.

2. Pray and read the Bible. Closeness to God will take away fear. And if we will just add to our memory that we have already died with Jesus, we can be more courageous.

3. Fear is respect and can be good or bad. Courage is taking fear and acting on it in trust.

4. Leaders and disciples must lead into good "waters" and bad "waters" and then decide what to do about it.

1. We are afraid to do what God puts in our hearts in some cases because of what we think other will think of us.

2. Some run away from fear while others confront it.

3. Fear is an emotional reaction to a threatening situation while courage is our ability to overcome our fears and confront the situation

4. Courage is required of leaders in order to motivate others during stressful times and to overcome the temptation to do what is popular vs what is right.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? What is the relationship of fear to courage? Why is courage required in leaders and disciples?

I think we are afraid sometimes to obey God because it is part of our human feelings naturally as well as the fact that we most likely forget that these decisions are not just down to us but and that we will be supported all the way through by God. It is all down to us putting our complete trust in God, which we don't always find easy to do.

When we do feel fear it is important that we do turn to God and allow him to help us but more importantly put our complete trust in God to see us through whatever is causing us to be fearful.

In my own personal experience fear and courage have gone together many a time. I have feared a situation which is taking me out of my comfort zone but then with the help of God I have been given the courage throughout this transition to overcome that fear.

We are afraid because we don't know what God knows. He knows we do not know. He says in Isaiah 55:8-11, His thoughts and ways are not ours; however, His Word never returns void. He knows who He is; we are ever learning to know Him and to trust him. We are to face the fear and do it anyway. Frankly, once we really begin to know God's ways; even the unthinkable makes sense as He is always proving that "nothing is impossible with God." Courage is always required in leaders and disciples because people are always watching and waiting to be amazed. As they watch the leaders, they grow confidence and the desire to follow the leader. It is the job of the leader to replicate themselves. Just as a child learn to do things by watching parents and older siblings, we learn by watching our leaders.

I fear because I don't put enough faith in God's ability. I know he is all powerful, but still question whether he is really calling me or is it only my desire. Or, if I know he is calling me, lack of faith in myself to accomplish the task although I know he will equip me.

The best response to fear is prayer. Courage is related to fear in the sense that it helps you move forward despite the fear. And, amazingly, that is all God wants. Move forward, step in the Jordan, and HE will do the rest! Courage is required because moving in God's ways often brings opposition. Sometimes failure (or what is seen by others as failure) is involved and courage will enable us to move forward trusting in God's plan, now ours.

There are two causes of fearing to obey God that I can think of.

Firstly, the cost to us of obedience. What will people say? Will we be able to afford to buy groceries? Will my friends still talk to me?

Secondly, false humility. Something like: I am not good enough to be trusted with that task. If we understand how God works that is no problem. Of course we're not good enough! That is the whole point of Calvary! But God uses us anyway.

1. Usually we didn't even understand at first what God wants from us in the first place. We are also aware of Satan r

oaming freely on this earth. In prayer often will we finally feel the message from God. 2.Fear, to me means we have left God out of our lives. Attempting to work through a new event on our own. Recognise that fact and include God in our daily plans. 3.Everyone experiences fear at the best of times. When we learn to walk with the Lord, we experience the loving courage we need. 4.People who have become Spiritual leaders usually are equipped with courage because of their daily connection with the Lord. Same conscept as using gaseoling in our cars to keep them running.

We look to ourselves & our inadequacies instead of fully giving ourselves to the Lord for His use.

We need to see the fear as our reaction to the situation instead of how God can deal with the situation.

Well, you can't see courage unless it is in a fearful situation.

The fearful situation we face every day is Satan. Those leading and discipling us need courage to trust God to fight Satan, because Satan will surely try to block them. Besides, perfect love is not found in fear.....

I like the responses of IvoryEagle, QueenEsther and charisbarak above. When we're afraid to obey God as He lays something on our hearts, it's because while we may see the call, we can only see its accomplishment (or not) as a function of our abilities - not God's.

When we feel fear we need to trust further in the Lord. Fear itself is not necessarily bad unless it prevents us from action altogether. I think courage is action in the presence (at least some level) of fear. Courage is required of leaders and disciples because without it, we shrink from accomplishing all He has for us.

We look inward instead of outward and see our fear instead of God's power. We allow of fear and self doubt to sway us away from God's plan. We to often give into the fear and self doubt that satin put in our minds. Fear keeps us from using the courage, strength, that God give us anytime we ask to complete what He has ask us to do. Courage is required in leaders and desciples because they need it in help those who struggle with doubt and lack of faith. They need it in doing God's will of seeking those He has chosen to come to His Son.

We are afraid to obey God because we see it in human form and are afraid of failing and/or letting God down. We usually don't think we are the best choice, there are so many better, more faithful followers who could do this. The relationship of fear to courage is; fear is thinking about doing something before it happens. You look at the task, disect it, and consider all the "what if's". Courage is overcoming this fear, a leap of faith, to compete what we are asked. Courage is required because God needs doers and not thinkers.

We are afraid of rejection, and we are afraid of retaliation. We don't want to anger anyone, especially when it comes to our "religion". When I feel afraid, I pray, and ask God to help me do the task. I can't do it on my own. Fear is trying to find a way out, and courage is deciding to do whatever is required, and asking God for help. Leaders need courage to ask for help, cause that seems to be a very hard thing for humans to do. We don't want to admit that we need help. And then, leaders have to find a way to get others to follow!

Answer:

1. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive?

For we are always looking at our own ability.We always forgot

Quite often it is something that is going to "pit us" against the general flow of political correctness in our culture, including our family members, friends and just plain people (some with "power" to cause pain). If we don't like conflict or feel uncertain it will prompt a fear response. Plus those we care about will not understand. Emotional pain is very difficult.

Look up! Spend time with the Lord or if it is immediate Trust Him!!

I think the presence of fear is what makes it courage to do what He asks.

Because they are going to be paddling upstream much of the time with lots of opposition.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We are afraid to obey God because of lack of faith in Him. We are not confident in God's love for us. We do not believe totally what He says about never leaving us or forsaking us. Also, often our relationship with God is not mature enough to believe Him or trust that He loves us totally. Fear can be defeated with perfect(mature) love. Working on our love relationship with our Lord will help diminish fear. Prayer and study of God's word will help to make our love truly real. Fear is lack of trust in God; courage is trust in God. A leader must be courageous to face the many battles before him/her. Fear will prevent effective leadership. Fear will cripple a mission or a ministry. People will not follow someone who is overcome with fear. God has promised to strengthen his people if they will trust Him.

Because we have a little faith by putting our trust to God we can overcome fear.

Being a leader you have to show your courage to show them that you are able to

lead them. Fear is the fruit of unbelief.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? Our sinful nature allows us to be afraid of failure - our human nature does not want to fail. It's easier to be a follower than a leader who has to be decisive when making decisions for others.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? I think fear is something we all have to deal with at some point in our life - depending on what that fear is and the circumstance can be very trying on an individual - the best way to deal with fear is to take it to the Lord and ask for His guidance and strength.

What is the relationship of fear to courage? I think fear can lead to courage with God's help - If you think through all the life experiences you have in life, many times fear could stop you in its tracks, but with God's help one can overcome the fear and move on and gain the courage to do the same as similar situations appear.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples? As my dictionary states - "Courage, bravery, fortitude, will, and intrepidity, is the ability to confront fear, pain, risk/danger, uncertainty, or intimidation." As a leader you will find the need for courage to make decisive decisions with some uncertainty and risk involved. Those of us who are believers and serve the Lord in positions of leadership may have to display courage in trying times and make the right decisions with God's help.

Q4. Why are we so afraid to obey God when he puts on our heart to do something decisive? Our sinful nature allows us to be afraid of failure - our human nature does not want to fail. It's easier to be a follower than a leader who has to be decisive when making decisions for others.

How are we to deal with fear when we feel it? I think fear is something we all have to deal with at some point in our life - depending on what that fear is and the circumstance can be very trying on an individual - the best way to deal with fear is to take it to the Lord and ask for His guidance and strength.

What is the relationship of fear to courage? I think fear can lead to courage with God's help - If you think through all the life experiences you have in life, many times fear could stop you in its tracks, but with God's help one can overcome the fear and move on and gain the courage to do the same as similar situations appear.

Why is courage required in leaders and disciples? As my dictionary states - "Courage, bravery, fortitude, will, and intrepidity, is the ability to confront fear, pain, risk/danger, uncertainty, or intimidation." As a leader you will find the need for courage to make decisive decisions with some uncertainty and risk involved. Those of us who are believers and serve the Lord in positions of leadership may have to display courage in trying times and make the right decisions with God's help.

Courage is fear moving forward. By our nature, we are protective of self and often absorbed in ourselves and the world as it interacts with us. God wants us to go beyond ourselves to the greater role of shepherds of His flock. I wish it were easy to go beyond self and care for others. I find it very difficult. That is what God is teaching Moses and continues to teach us - the LOVE transcends all there is in this life. Pray for courage every day. Pray for faith to be strengthened in order to do God's will.

A: Q4. A. We are afraid for many of the same reasons as Moses. We feel inadequate to accomplish the task God has assigned us. We feel over whelm. We are afraid.

B. We deal with fear by running from what we fear and we should trust God to help us overcome these fears. The relationship of fear to courage; is that fear robs us of the fellowship with God and Courage gives us this Fellowship. Fear cripples and Courage enables. Courage is required of leaders and disciples, because fear does not influence peoples and courage does. Both leaders need Influence to lead.

Sad to admit, but the reason we are so afraid to obey God when He puts on our heart to do something may be (1) we are not sure if we are hearig His voice; and, (2) fear of not succeeding, especially if the task is something great. It has been said we should not look at how great the task or problem is, but how great our God is.

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Tim. 1:7). When we feel fear we should immediately begin to pray. Fear is not of God; and, honest fervent prayer will overtake and erase fear and take our minds to peace and love where God is.

The relationship of fear to courage is they are exact opposites. Fear is cowardice, extreme timidity; and, not of God. Courage is the ability to stand against injustice, evil and danger to bring about a good end. A courageous character exhibits bravery in the face of danger, perseverance to succeed, and a heart of honesty.

Courage is required in leaders and disciples because they must always be cognizant of the fact that they are responsible for and to others. Honesty will enable them to make the right decisions, knowing all things have a time and place. Bravery will enable one to face whatever is confronting or conflicting; and, perseverance will take them to success.

I have noticed that men make such good decisions right off the top. My self, being a woman works mainly with my heart. That can be a hinderance at the best of times. When we are confronting a member of the family who is clearly going the wrong way, again, our heart gets in the way. When the Lord wants us to love each other, I'm sure He meant also to step out side of ourselves to use our common sense as well. When we get to such a moment, we are weak, and that is the time when we ask our Father to give us the strength we so badly need. For when I am weak, I am strong in the Lord. Your comment was excellent, for sure. Blessing on your day.

Because obeying God ALWAYS involve connecting our obedience to others. Unlike Pharoah, who was NOT pretending to obey God, many of the people we are connected to in obedience CLAIM to be connected to God, with all the trimmings to prove it. There is a double-mindedness that prevails. Fear is always to be faced. Courage feels fear but moves forward in spite of it. Courage is needed to move the "pack" ahead to another level. It is what disciples and leaders do. Joshua 1 <_<