JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Compromising

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why didn’t Moses accept Pharaoh’s compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses did not accept the compromise because he did NOT have the authority. By now, he is totally committed to God's plan though he does not know the total outcome. As powerful as Pharaoh is, it is clear to Moses that he is no match for God. Moses now sees Pharaoh as somewhat of an irritation. Church leaders should never compromise when an obvious infraction has been done or is being done that negatively impact the spirit of its members. Period. People come, not to church--but to God. It is the same as Esther and Haman; "So the king and Haman went to dine with Queen Esther." Esther 7:1 The king did not turn his head, he got involved and the "right action" was taken. Sometimes there are things going on that are just Satanic. A present King brings powerful and present action. More importantly, a King must recognize that sometimes "things are not as they seem. :lol:The leader must stay in touch with that and dig it up at the roots.

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Moses couldn't accept any of Pharaoh's compromises because he would have been out of the will of, and disobedient to God. God never gave any alternate offers to His commands which could be accepted. Moses had to obey God's command as His gave, with no alterations or changes.

Church leaders may accept compromise when the instances and/or circumstances will not harm, change or set aside the word of God; or, the continuance of the good of the church as a whole, nor would the compromise change the mission of the church. Compromise may be acceptable when God's word is still followed, and the church as a whole is not harmed in any way.

It is wrong for a church leader to compromise a command given him/her from God. When a leader receives a command from God it should be accomplished and followed to the letter, and as directed. A compromise is wrong when it will result in a negative impact which would bring about more harm than good; and, when/if done for self-serving intentions and/or seeking self gain.

From Ivory Eagle: Moses did not accept the compromise because he did NOT have the authority.

Good point, thanks.

As leaders how do we decide what we cannot compromise on?

I think it's tough. I don't feel comfortable with hard and fast rules. I don't want to bend the rules but I also don't want the letter of the law to trump the meaning and purpose for the law. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. Jesus let his disciples pick up grain on the Sabbath. Jesus spoke with women and taught women about God (unheard of!) Was that a compromise? Our rules and standards are found in God's Word, from which there is generally no compromise. Yet we also need to prayerfully be open to God's immediate interpretation for the dilemma at hand.

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises? In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Answer:

1. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

Because that is not what the Lord has said.The Lord told Moses that He is going to deliver His people out of Egypt..Deliver in Hebrew is natsal (naw-tsal') v.,which means snatch away, whether in a good or a bad sense.

Exodus 3:8- And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

When Moses saw Miracles,upon Miracles,being done according to what the Lord has promised Him,it must have given Him much resolve,and courage.,that compromising to Pharoah is direct insult to God.

2. In what instances should church leaders accept compromise?

Church customs and traditions,..church doctrines..As long as it doesn

Moses stayed faithful to God and His promises. He knew & believed what God had told him.

If it will lead to unity of the body, perhaps a compromise is in sight.

Otherwise, any compromising of God's Word is not acceptable. God said it & it is True and Right!

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

God had given Moses both the "blueprint" and the "snapshot" of the promised outcome. He had learned his lesson well, to follow only God's leadership, and put his own ideas and plans to rest. I love that Moses under intense pressure stood on God's Word, and never wavered when offered compromise! That's how I want to "stand" when on the hot seat!!!

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise? In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

That's an interesting question, and one I've never thought much about. Silly things in church history come to mind...the split of a church over the issue of women wearing hats! (The group who left were known by the ones who stayed, as the Mad Hatter's.) Whether the sanctuary carpet should be blue or beige...that sort of thing. I would think that any issue which does not involve the integrity of God's Word, Scriptural Doctrine, might be considered, such as times for the services, how the church functions and so on. If it's written in the Word, like Moses, the leader should "stand", and the opposition should "stand down". If the one who insists on compromise where there is not a place for one, should leave quietly, and find a church which suits, rather than stir up strife and division. Whatever the case, I Tim 2:8 admonishes us that in every place men/women should pray, without anger or quarreling or resentment or doubt, lifting up holy hands. and II Tim 2:24 gives the guidelines for how the leader should handle contentious situations.

In the issue I shared yesterday regarding the church elder who was having an adulterous affair and believed it was God's will for him to leave his wife and family and move in with the young woman, it was such a comfort to see our Pastor and leaders follow the Bible in dealing with this. It was done in love, but with a steady hand. It was done swiftly! His name was removed from the church web site the night he adamantly refused to repent. It was brought out in the open and explained in that week's services, so that there was no gossip or speculation. We were admonished to pray for him and to not gossip! We've certainly grieved the loss of one who in the past was a wonderful man of God and leader, but the church has moved on. There was no compromise! I thank God for His Word which teaches and instructs us in every area pertinent to life and that He allows us some room to prayerfully consider issues of less import in the function of the church.

From Ivory Eagle: Moses did not accept the compromise because he did NOT have the authority.

Good point, thanks.

As leaders how do we decide what we cannot compromise on?

I think it's tough. I don't feel comfortable with hard and fast rules. I don't want to bend the rules but I also don't want the letter of the law to trump the meaning and purpose for the law. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. Jesus let his disciples pick up grain on the Sabbath. Jesus spoke with women and taught women about God (unheard of!) Was that a compromise? Our rules and standards are found in God's Word, from which there is generally no compromise. Yet we also need to prayerfully be open to God's immediate interpretation for the dilemma at hand.

Amen!!

Moses had not accepted Pharaoh's compromise for there were limitations and restrictions governing the agreement. Although the current situation would had been resolved, by agreeing to the compromise Moses wold had been setting the precedent for the success of his taking his people out of Egypt.

Compromising at times can be a sensitive issue and can make or break a large corporation my the sucess or failure of a deal, which would sling-shot the company into a new direction. This theory also applies to the operation of the church. There may be times, especially in smaller congregations where we must compromise and work with church leaders who are not "Scriptually qualified" (Dr. Ralph F. Wilson). Despite this fact it would be beneficial to apply the skills of these leaders, mayhaps training them to become Scriptually qualified. By compromising we are keeping in mind the fact that we are helping our church to move forward.

As we have seen, compromising can be hazardous, or it can be a positive, affiriming experience. However, there is one instance when compromising should never come to mind...when it is in direct cinflict with God's commands or the written word. When God commands us to carry out a certain task it must pass exactly as he lays it out (Moses and Aaron). To take the initiative to alter His plan is a direct act of disobedience and will surely result in some sort of punishment.

Moses didn't accept Pharaohs compromises because he was an agent for God, not men. God was instructing that Pharaoh let His people go and Pharaoh was trying to over ride Gods will with half intents or just plain refusal. Moses could not compromise. He was there with the mission to state the will of God. And God will accomplish what He sets out to do.

I'm not sure church leaders should ever accept compromise if they know Gods will in something. For example, I don't agree it's a compromise to clean toilets in the church. I do that in our church and am a Bible study leader and will soon have a position in administration as I have had in the past. I just see that I operate in my gifts and one of them is helps. I see my work in the bathrooms as a blessing to others and service to God. I don't see myself as above it. Yet, I do have gifts in leadership, vision and organization, so I'm blessed to operate in those also. So, if God's will for me is all of the above in humbleness, then I'll do that. It would be compromise to me to not do them. All of them. I know I'm supposed to! What I don't want to ever do, is be outside Gods will for myself, in what I do or in leading others or accepting others. Gods will is His will whether it looks like what we think should happen or not.

Compromise seems to be the word of the day and we have to guard ourselves. I'm leading a Revelation study as well as finishing one with Dr. Wilson and am noting that the letters to the churches in Asia were very much messages warning against compromise! Ephesus compromised on their first love and in the command to love God more than anything else. Pergamum compromised on teachings. Some followed the teachings of the Nicolaitans. The church at Thyatira was compromising by toleration of "Jezebel" who was leading others into sexual immorality and idol worship practices. There is more...all warning to not compromise but hold on to truth. The two churches who were not warned were the two who were not compromising!

Even other leaders will want us to compromise, to join together for gain, power, ease and privileges, but we can't. God directs, God provides, God protects or allows and our reward is not here...it's a Kingdom reward.

Q3. Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromises?

Moses could not compromise with Pharaoh, he did not have the authority to do so, his faith, his allegiance, was to Jehovah; Moses was speaking for the LORD, and the LORD was speaking for his children Israel, Moses went before Pharaoh speaking truth, full of faith, believing the LORD will do what He says he will do, Moses

Moses did not accept the comprise because he was listening to God and God did not tell him to accept it. You know the saying pick your battles. In a church you let comprise take place in small things, but if it is something that goes against God you hold firm and no comprise should be taken.

Why didn't Moses accept Pharaoh's compromise?

Moses was speaking in behalf of God. The demands were straight forward and right to the point with no mention of an alternative source.To give way to compromise would not have been in line with God's will.

In what instances should church leaders accept compromise?

Compromise should be accepted when it is for the good of the church.One example would be management of church funds. We all have different opinions and think differently. Also we must learn to be flexible and take into consideration what others think or feel.As long as compromise is done in unison and the church continues with the great commission the Lord gave us it should be allowed.

In what instances is it wrong for church leaders to compromise?

Anything that would change the word of God should not be compromised. His attributes never change. He is the same today as He was yesterday and for all eternity. His word stands firm throughout the ages.