JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Letting God Fight the Battle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why do we tend to fight our battles “in the flesh” rather than using spiritual weapons? Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy? When will God fight our battles – and when won’t he?

1. Why do we tend to fight our battles "in the flesh" rather than using spiritual weapons? At first, as spiritual babies, we are fragile, irresponsible, milk-drinking infants who lack discernment and strength.But as time passes, we should begin to grow up spiritually . Rom:13; 12. "So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armour of light. 2.Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy? We humans,born in sin,use the animal instinct at times. Fight or flight! The shoot first and ask questions later society must stop."Forgive them Father for they know not what they do" Maybe we had better draw from the inner spiritual strength within us first. 3. When will God fight our battles and when won't He? Worshipping and glorifying the Lord comes first. Anything asked in humble obedience to His will would have me believe that our Father would help me. In arrogant rudeness and selfish motives would I know that God would flatly refuse to acknowledge me.

Q4. Why do we tend to fight our battles “in the flesh” rather than using spiritual weapons? Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy? When will God fight our battles – and when won’t he?

We tend to fight in the flesh when our understanding is cloudy. In the end, like Moses, he knew when to let go and let God, when he said to Pharoah: "I will never appear before you again.'" (10:28-29) It was time for God to release the final plague and Moses knew it. God will fight our battles when we recognize that He, alone, is God. When we act, not out of our own feelings but on His Word. He will not act on our being offended or other human motivations. We must recognize when it is over for us and on for God! "Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered" Psalm 68:1 Praise the Lord!! B)

"This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty." (Zechariah 4:6)

I have a friend who is a missionary in Honduras. He lives in the garbage dump where many families eek out a living by sorting recyclables. Daily he faces many injustices...such as the Mayor who wants the city to have their own recyling business which would put the people at the dump out of a way to earn a living. Confront? sometimes. Compromise? yeah occassionally. But the bottom line is being sensitive to the will of God and just trusting he is in control. It's not up to us. We are not the Messiahs. We are the hands and feet, but the battle is the Lord's. My friend put this verse on every thing he writes.

Q4. Why do we tend to fight our battles “in the flesh” rather than using spiritual weapons?

I sometimes errantly think it would be more effective and faster.

When will God fight our battles – and when won’t he? We need to get with God's program... not try to get God on-board with our agenda... even if our agenda is "good".

This was a concept that I learend from the Experiencing God study by Blackenby. He said essentially: (forgive me if I have this interpreted wrongly) "Discern where God is working and join His kingdom project." We often flip this and brainstorm ideas for good projects and then tell God to help us. When the agenda is God's, he will fight the battle.

It's often the first thing we think about--how can we deal with this? What can we do?

We take the enemy's attacks on us personally--as though they were attacking us. We need to realize Satan is using other human beings to do his will and that the battle is the Lord's in the spiritual realm.

Some battles he expects us to fight with prayer & faith, speaking with the Lord's leading. Other battles He is fighting & he expects us to remain faithful & pray & let Him fight on our behalf. Otherwise, we could come to ruin if it isn't God's will.

Q4. Why do we tend to fight our battles "in the flesh" rather than using spiritual weapons?

It took some years for me to understand this issue. I had poor teaching, was not baptized in the Holy Spirit until I'd been a Christian for a few years, and was ignorant. When I was attacked, it was by a person with "skin on", so I waged the battle in the flesh...or "skin". I had also been abused for years, so I reacted out of old wounds, rather than acting on God's Word.

I got angry when I discovered that this is the enemy's strategy! To entice us to fight in the flesh, where we can't possibly be victorious, and where we end up serving his evil purposes and either get "beat up" or hurt someone else.

Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy?

Because it's the voice of the human "enemy" that we hear and the human face that we see. It took a revelation from the Lord for me to see that the person is not the enemy...they just have a "place" in them that Satan can use to attack me. If Satan can get us to fight and to hate and resent the human "puppet", he can get us to wallow in hatred, self pity, bitterness and victimization until we recognize that the unseen enemy is also the one waging war against our God, and God alone makes us victors in the struggle.

When will God fight our battles – and when won't he?

He will fight for me whenever I'm under attack by the enemy. The only time I can think of that He won't fight for me, is If I've picked a fight in the fleshly realm to hurt someone or to seek revenge or something of that nature. (I don't want to find out how that one works!) I love knowing that He's my shield and buckler, my strong tower, my hiding place and refuge, and that He's the mighty Warrior who with a breath can vanquish my enemy!

There are times though when He tells me I'm to stand and do warfare in prayer, or to take authority with His Word over an attack in the spiritual realm, but it's His delegated authority through Jesus in which I'm to stand.

I believe that we fight our battles in the flesh because we are conditioned to fight only that which we can see. From the time we are old enouh to understand this crazy world we see man in conflict with man. Unless we are exposed to the church and gain an understanding of the spiritual war that is constantly going on witin the Heavens we will continue to use our "weapons" on the human evildoers.

"Warfare" is most taxing to the human body and when forced by human command the constant conflicts will destroy that which God has graciously given us. We need to stop the participation in conflict and listen to what God has to say. He will only engage us in conflicts in which He will assist us in becoming leaders in his army, lending His strength. We must have faith and trust in His decision when we respond to His calls knowing that He needs us to fulfill a plan.

If we walk by sight and not by faith, we will fight battles in the flesh as opposed to in the Spirit. I'm not saying we shouldn't ever "say" anything or "do" anything. Sometimes God asks us to, just as He asked Moses. These can be times of stepping out in faith too, though they take on a physical aspect. But, we have to stay connected and asking Father for discernment because we can be called to say something one time, yet to be quiet the next time. Moses said what he was called to proclaim, but when Pharaoh was obstinate, Moses was quick to listen to God and let God take over from there. Only God really knows all our hearts and He deals justly with each one. We all sin and we may be confronted with that by other brothers and sisters, but the one who knows us through and through directs everything. So, even if being confronted or in confronting, we have to turn to God for direction. Prayer is crucial in it all. To pray for direction to continue or to let go and let God. Plus, we call on the heavenly warriors to fight the battle for others. I can't even express in words how grateful I am when others fought in prayer for me, before I was saved. They were calling on Heavenly help for my deliverance. I actually saw in the Spirit, armies fighting for me to overcome addictions and fears and strongholds. I was freed and the battle did belong to the Lord, but I was also to see the truth in love from those around me. If they hadn't taken the time to help me (and I wasn't always gracious in it) and to hold on to me, I don't know where I would be today. But, ultimately, the LORD was the center of my need and HE gave the healing. I also had those who condemned me "For my own good" and who worked in the flesh. Their motives were for themselves and their ministries and they were cruel. That was neither helpful nor fruitful, so I try to apply what I learned first hand when dealing with others. I always have to examine my own heart first as to my purposes in anything. A lesson I still try to perfect even today as I fail in that sometimes.

God will fight the battles for us, if the battle is His to fight! If we are walking out in selfish motives, or haven't sought Him and His direction, or are being judgmental and self righteous, then it's not of Him. I think the difference it makes for me when I examine myself before confronting is, "Is this critical thinking, with selfish motives or real concern for this person and for God's Kingdom." Critical thinking stays in one place, never moves forward and is negative. Concern is to move forward with someone and involves a positive aspect for God's Kingdom. We don't want to squash and squabble and get our way....we want what God wants in the matter.

Why do we tend to fight out battles "in the flesh" rather than using spiritual weapons?

I don't think at first we realize we are in a battle, then when we do we are already using the flesh. By that time we don't think God can help. When we realize He can we are in so deep we have nothing left but to turn it over to Him.

Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy?

If we are in the spiritual frame of mind we tend to think everything is spiritual. Whether it be God or devil. I know the devil is behind all sin and temptation so we go with the thinking that every enemy is spiritual.

When will God fight our battles--and when won't He?

I think God will always fight our battles, He lets us go either until we ask for help or He sees that we are stuck and can go no futher on our own.

Q4. Why do we tend to fight our battles in the flesh rather than using spiritual weapons? Why do we so often mistake the human enemy for the spiritual enemy? When will God fight our battles and when wont he?

We can see the flesh. It is present in us. Spiritual warfare is difficult lesson for us to understand. Just praying about it and say the Name of Jesus doesn't seem good enough. It's like it's too simple to do.

We believe Satan is tempting us to do it, but basically, sometimes it comes from our inner rebellious self, so god will fight the battle when we are actually tempted by the spiritual enemy, but if we resist God's fighting for us, then we will lose the battle since we allowing it to happen and God will not help us or fight the battle for us.