JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Treasured Possession

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? Pride of achievement.

How was the idea of

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

From an emotional standpoint, here on earth, my family is what I value most, they are my treasure.

How was the idea of "treasured possession" fulfilled in Israel?

(Isaiah 43) It was the LORD who created Israel, His first born whom He redeemed, He called them by their name because they are His people when they passed through the waters and He said

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

I feel a kind of bond to any treasured possession I own. I don't have much, apart from a few guitars, that I treasure. I'm not a collector or anything, I just like to have a choice of weapons. To be honest, and at the rick of sounding crazy, I feel the kind of bond a warrior would feel to his sword, axe, etc. In musician slang, your guitar is your axe, so I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

How was the idea of

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? An accomplished feat. Proud to own.

How was the idea of

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction... Examining one of my treasured possessions brings elations and fond memories of how I came by this particular item. I feel a sense of humble achievement. However, I always remember that these items, although in my possession belong to the hand of God as well and they will never be exploited or looked about with great pride...and a haughty spirit before a fall.

The Old Testament had allowed for for Israel to become one of god's most cherished and personal possessions as long as they would be obedient to His rules and obey his commandments. Although limited to the nation of Israel at first, the New Testament provided that any and all individuals who trusted in Jesus Christ, Our Lord, would be accepted.

As God's treasured possessions: John 3:16 NKJV "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Emotionally, I look at a treasured possession & I immediately think of who gave it to me and the memories surrounding it. I tend to try to protect it--put it in a place where it wouldn't be quickly harmed.

The care for & leading of Israel fulfilled their being a "treasured possession." Also, the Word states God isn't finished with them yet!

It feels like nothing I've ever felt before--really loved and cared for. It gives me peace.

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? How was the idea of

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? How was the idea of "treasured possession" fulfilled in Israel? What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession -- as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

Answer:

1.From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

Full of care and Love..Treat it with Tender Loving Care...

2.How was the idea of "treasured possession" fulfilled in Israel?

Exodus 19:5- Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed , and keep my covenant...

Obedience is the key..If the Israelites people Hear and Obey every Word that the Lord speaks,then the covenant is sealed,and indeed they will be called "Treasured possesion".

3.What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession -- as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

It is just amazing..noody can describe really the feeling..it means that we can just REST IN HIS WONDERFULL AND ABUNDANCE GRACE...IT GIVES US THE CONFIDENCE,AND POSITIVE HOPE,THAT WE HAVE ALWAYS A GREAT DEFENDER,A GREAT FATHER,AND GOD,WHO WILL ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF US...BECAUSE WE ARE HIS POSSESION...

The possessions I treasure most are the things passed down through generations of family...the ring worn by my great grandmother, engraved inside with a message of love to her from my great grandfather, the photo of my great grandfather at age 4, in pantaloons and a plaid dress! The tiny hinged Bible belonging to my great grandmother, and her profession of faith recorded inside. The book I inherited written by my 5th great grandfather.....when I look at them I feel a sense of awe at the continuation of life...and God's plan for me in that lineage and a longing to have known these ancestors whose faith and values shaped them and some of which were passed along to their children's children. The possessions and the knowledge about their owners has given me a sense of "place" in God's plan.

God had singled out Abram, then He "breathed grace" into him calling him Abraham and the process began and continued through Isaac and on down the line until having been kept separate from the Egyptian culture for 400 years, they became a nation of millions. As He delivered them through Moses, they were told that He'd carried them on eagles wings and brought them to Himself....His own treasured, peculiar possession. He sealed them to Himself through covenant.

What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession – as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

Unlike what I was taught in school, that I was a freak of nature's natural selection, I rejoice that I belong to my Heavenly Father...was designed by Him and for Him, to worship Him, to serve Him, and to be His very own precious daughter...and that I am His forever, secure in His love and care. How does that feel? Too wonderful to express adequately in words....great awe and humility, privileged, valued, treasured, precious, beloved and adored, priceless, cherished, honored, secure, .....don't quite say it!

Treasured "possessions" is a hard one for me to answer because I don't think in terms of "owning" anything but as in being "gifted with". I think the very word "possession" denotes something only God can really have.

That said, my emotional reaction to anything given to me that I treasure is one of thankfulness and a great sense of responsibility towards. My greatest treasure given to me would be my family and/or my gifts that He has given me to use to fulfill my purposes in life for His Kingdom.

My grandchild is one whom I treasure and feel great responsibility for. I want to protect her and teach her in ways that are good. Helping her attain integrity and Godly character. She is like a jewel to me that I like to polish and shape until she shines and becomes beautiful and who God made her to be.

The idea of a treasured possession was fulfilled to Israel in the same way. Through a covenant with God who agreed to protect them and by giving them commandments, was teaching them to follow His ways so they could shine in the land He was giving them. He guided them into truths and was giving them His wisdom to learn of a better way of life. He was responsible for them (and us) and sought for their best. Even when they grumbled it wasn't.

To be God's treasured possession today according to 1 Peter 2:9 (and even further into the reading) is to be a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God that we may declare the praises of Him who called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. It goes on to say, "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."

We now, have a covenant, the new covenant through Jesus Christ, but we are called to holiness, just as God called the Israelites to holiness in the old covenant. They had the 10 commandments....we have 2, that encompass all of the 10. If you Love God above all others and love others as you love yourself, then the 10 will be followed....but we do this not as "law" keeping, but through the love of Christ that we show the whole world.

From an emotional standpoint what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

From an emotional standpoint I feel honored and thankful. My family is the most treasured possession but only second to God. My wife and I both pour out our love equally to each one but yet in different ways. We realize that they are only gifts God has given us to bless our lives.

God had spoken to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and made a covenant with them years earlier and now that Israel has become a nation the promise is being fulfilled. God chose Israel to be His "treasured possession" out of all the people in the world to bless them and then pass it forward to the rest of the world. It is by our faith in Christ Jesus that each and every one of us too can share in the promises. God has adopted us, who believe in His Son, as His possession as well.

What does it feel like to be God's treasured possession as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

It makes me feel very thankful and fortunate towards God's redemptive plain that by the precious Blood of The Lamb I have been washed.

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9)

From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions?

I take pride in the workmanship involved in its manufacture. I look over it now and then; value it and keep it in a safe and protected place.

God needed a special nation on earth to represent Him and live a life of righteousness, to teach the rest of the nations His Word and His salvation message. The same way we were chosen, not because of anything we had done, Israel was chosen in His love and mercy. In Genesis 18:18 we read,

It feels very good to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions.

In Israel, the idea of "treasured possession" was fulfilled by obeying and fulfilling the covenant.

It feels very good and indeed privileged and special to be God's treasured possession -- as we Christians clearly are according to 1 Peter 2:9?

Q1. (Exodus 19:5; 1 Peter 2:9) From an emotional standpoint, what does it feel like to take out and look over one of your treasured possessions? My only treasured possessions, in the way that I think this refers to treasured possessions, are my wife and children. There are other things which I value very highly, my collection of old family photos, the now battered, paperback bible which I bought and started reading when I was in the depths of despair and other things, all of which I would miss if they were destroyed. However, here on Earth at least, the only thing that I really treasure is my family. Most of the time, life goes on and I don't think of them as treasure. When I do think of them in that way though, like now, it gives me a warm glow of happiness, love and contentment.

How was the idea of