JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Aaron's Irresponsible Leadership

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf? Why do you think he won’t take responsibility for his actions? Why do you think he gets off so easily? Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf?

Aaron's sin with the golden calf was submitting to the pressure of the people and not standing in the position of leader to deter them from their desire to make an idol.

Why won’t he take responsibility for his actions, do you think?

Aaron probably did not think he should take responsibility for his actions because he did not see himself as a leader.

Why do you think he gets off so easily?

Aaron got off so easily because Moses had already interceeded for all the people and God had hornored his prayer.

Why must leaders be accountable for their actions?

Leaders must be accountable for their actions because they represent God to the people. Their actions dictate their standing with God.

What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

For leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes, first they must admit that they were wrong and that they repent and want to make amends.

Q1. (Exodus 32:1-6)

Why do you think the people of Israel were so quick to make idols, even after hearing the monotheism of the Ten Commandments that forbade graven images?

They were unable to see Moses, they did not have his presence and thought he was gone so they turned away to something they could see

Why do you think Aaron facilitated their sin?

He wanted no conflict so he went along

How do you think the golden calf made God feel?

Very dissapointed, no angry

What idols do Christian churches allow that lead them away from pure worship of God in our day?

Worldly things

The nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf was idolatry and syncretism i.e. he not only passively allowed the fashioning of the golden calf, but actually led by supervising its fashioning.

I think he won't take responsibility for his actions because he is not having leadership competencies and also that, maybe he still did not know that, what he did was wrong; for him it is the people who did it not him.

I think he gets off so easily because the Lord has already arranged a responsibility for him; he will serve as a priest in the Tabernacle.

Leaders must be accountable for their actions because this is the only way they will be seen as true leaders; not shifting blames to others.

It is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes beacuse it is from these mistakes they can be good leaders. They say: making a mistake is not a mistake, but reapeating it.

Aaron's sin was a big one--idolatry & passively leading God's people--leading them into depravity.

He doesn't take responsibility for his sins because he doesn't have the strength of character his brother has. He thinks placing the blame on others makes his ok.

I'm not sure--but God promised the priestly ministry to him and his sons.

Leaders are also guiders.....and they are directly under God's authority. Accountability helps growth of the leader and also of his followers.

Leaders must learn from their mistakes in order to guide their people correctly and as a guide to their people to do the same thing. Pride in a leader keeps them from admitting to & learning from their mistakes.

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf? Why won’t he take responsibility for his actions, do you think? Why do you think he gets off so easily? Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

A. Aaron's sin with the golden calf was that he shared in it. He led it. Using his religion and their religion, he combined the two and made one.

B.He didn't take reasponsibility for his actions because he didn't think that he had done anything wrong. He felt like Moses was in charge, and Moses was not there. Actually he was trying to please the people before they got out of control, because Moses was taking so long up on the mountain.

C. I am ashamed to know that he wasn't reprimanded like Miriam in Numbers 12. Already then it was a 'man thing' I suppose!

D. In a case like this, where God is your goal, and you represent Him, it is a huge reasponsibility. It is so easy to lead people astray. People are born with a ' herding instinct', so you had better settle for truth than lies.

E.Leaders learn from their mistakes when they are found out and corrected, in private or in public.

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf?

I think the main thing was rebellion! He had been with Moses, an eye witness to God's miracles in Egypt in delivering the people. He had heard God's voice! He willfully transgressed against God. Secondly, He was in charge and had let the people become "unruly and unrestrained" so that they had become a derision and object of shame to their enemies. He had failed to lead them, by yielding his delegated place of authority to Satan, who then took over, and he let the people direct or lure him into idolatry. He didn't as yet have the 10 commandments, but he knew that idolatry was an abomination to the God who had called him to follow Him and He alone. And lastly, just plain foolishness or stupidity in giving the people what they wanted instead of what they needed (Correction, guidance, leadership)

Why won't he take responsibility for his actions, do you think?

His excuse cracked me up! "I threw the gold into the fire and out came this golden calf!" He sounds like Adam who when God confronted him for abdicating his leadership to Eve, then following her into sin, blamed her. Then she blamed the "serpent". It's the old "the dog ate my homework" scenario, rather than admitting "I was wrong!" It's the fallen nature refusing to admit to weakness, sin, mistakes, being wrong...PRIDE.

I wonder if it was that since his destiny was to eventually be the High Priest and he would be the spiritual leader, that God didn't want to cause him to be diminished in the people's eyes where they would laugh at him in disrespect as a result of being severely corrected....he left him his dignity to be able to lead with credibility later on.

Leaders are the "point guards"....they have God's delegated authority (if they've been called rather than self appointed), and therefore have more accountability than those under their authority. God holds leaders to a higher standard than others. "As the leader goes, so goes the nation (or so go those under his/her leadership).

Humility, and being teachable and pliable in God's hand (with a desire to grow and become a more effective leader) wisdom, and eventually, maturity.

Aarons sins were many. He did not lead the people in the way of God. He did not instruct nor encourage them to wait on God (and Moses) reminding them of God's faithfulness in the past. He not only allowed the people an idol, he made it himself and partook in worshiping it with them leading them into compromise and the untruth that somehow they were having a festival for the Lord. In reality, it was an indulgence and revelry for themselves and the idol they had made. He let the people get out of control in every area whether spiritual or of the flesh. Then, when confronted, he still passed off his own responsibilities in it by blaming it on the people and their attitudes. He himself, had made the idol and the altar before the calf and proclaimed a festival and then allowed the party to get wild. But he confesses none of this, blames the people and shrugs it off in a "What was I supposed to do?" attitude.

Why didn't he face his own sin? For one, he didn't want to face Moses anger (vs.22)and passing the blame seems sometimes the quickest way to defuse that. Only, rarely does that work on someone who knows truth. Moses knew the truth about sin and those who follow God's way and he knew Aaron had failed in leadership.

Only God knows why Aaron got off so easily. Probably some was Moses prayer offered. I know God has great mercy on all He has made, but why He chooses to treat each one differently....I don't know. He just does and He's God and His ways are higher than ours....so we probably just won't get it. We just have to trust Him.

Why must leaders be accountable for our actions? Because we need to have integrity. We need to be honest with ourselves and others and to live a higher standard. It is difficult to see in oneself a flaw that must be corrected and lived out and to have a deep sense of responsibility for the whole church to be faithful in that. And when we have failed, to say so. In those ways, we either demonstrate our commitment to Christ and living His way, or our faith in action confessing and accepting forgiveness in our human tendency to sin. We must learn from our mistakes in humbleness. We live our hope in Christ Jesus that way and bring Him honor as well as testimony to others struggling to find hope in Him and the truth of their salvation. We can't just "act" perfect. We must live out our faith in front of others.

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf? Why won't he take responsibility for his actions, do you think? Why do you think he gets off so easily? Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

Answer:

1.What was the nature of Aaron's sin with the golden calf?

It was Aaron Himself who Molded,and design the Golden Calf..(..The Gold used is actually a blessings from God, whom God take from Egyptian people...(Exodus 11:2-Speak now in the ears of the people , and let every man borrow of his neighbour, and every woman of her neighbour jewels of silver , and jewels of gold

Exodus 12;35-36- 35 And the children of Israel did according to the word of Moses ; and they borrowed of the Egyptians ewelsof silver , and jewels of gold , and raiment : 36 And the LORD gave the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians , so that they lent H7592 unto them such things as they required. And they spoiled the Egyptians .

Aaron has just wasted the blessing from the Lord,but that he made it into Graven Image for which the Hebrew people can relate and worship...While God is trying to make His people,worship Him,and receive Him as God the Spirit...Aaron,just made them(Israelite people),worship another God...

Exodus 32:4-And he received them at their hand , and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf : and they said , These be thy gods H, O Israel which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

2.Why won't he take responsibility for his actions, do you think?

Aaron will not take responsibility,because He is afraid that the Lord will punish him.He is a witness how God deals with Pharoah and the Egyptian people at the Red Sea,and I think He is fearful that the Lord will do it unto Him..He realize how bad he has done...instead He blames the people...

Exodus 32:22- And Aaron said , Let not the anger of my lord wax hot : thou knowest the people , that they are set on mischief.

3.Why do you think he gets off so easily?

It is God's decision...Sometimes things that is not revealed to us,we just need to Trust that God Knows what He is doing..There is only one God...and that is not us:..

Deuteronomy 29:29-The secret things belong unto the LORD our God : but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever , that we may do all the words of this law.

4.Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

The Leader in order to gain respect,must stand by His word,and be accountable for His actions.Learning from mistakes,admitting you are wrong,is a virtue of Humility,that each leader must have...Pride must be put aside...

Q2. (Exodus 32:21-24) What was the nature of Aaron’s sin with the golden calf? Why do you think he won’t take responsibility for his actions? Why do you think he gets off so easily? Why must leaders be accountable for their actions? What is necessary for leaders to be able to learn from their mistakes?

He formed the golden calf for the people, and assisted and encouraged them. He did not heed Gods words.

He was afraid. Moses coming back woke him up, made him aware of what he had done. Then he tried blaming others and lying.God had plans for him. We can't see Gods reasons so must take it on faith that He will judge, not us.

If we are leaders, we are Gods priests and our actions are accountable to God. He will be our judge. We will be accountable for our actions, to God who sees all and knows all. There will be no hiding, no lying and deceit. A truly repentant humble spirit, willing to listen to our deacons and Christian friends, our pastors as they pray and confront us. Willing to lay our sins at Jesus feet and humbly pray for forgiveness, for guidance and for Gods will to be worked in and thru us.

What was the nature of Aarons sin with the golden calf?

I believe that the essence of Aarons committing idolatry was fear, I think that he was afraid of what was immediately before him, and the likelihood of what could happen if he did not listen to the people. His sin was big, not only did he share in the idea, he made the idol. Then attempting to compensate for that which he knew was wrong he OK's the idol to have relevance, He " Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD".

The nature of his sin, fear, idolatry and infusing different beliefs systems.

Why wont he take responsibility for his actions, do you think?

I think fear was the motivating factor again, it from a different prospective this time. Although Aaron was older he knew that Moses had a closer relationship with God. He was now afraid of Moses and that brought his focus back to God and how God may feel about what he had done or fail to do in Moses' absence.

We can speculate his makeup, with certainly he wasn't Moses, but he wasn't supposed to be. We cannot be like Dr. Ralph, but what we can be is by the grace of God obedient. Aaron just as Adam, Eve & sometime us in this day was disobedient. He then placed the blame on others by trying to justify his actions.

I don't like the term easily, however I can agree that in our eyes and what the Scriptures reveal is that Aaron did not suffer a severe punishment. There is a song, that's a pretty good song (in my opinion), "Mercy Said No", I cannot say specifically, but I believe Aaron and the others were not punished by God because of Moses interceding with God, and God had honored his prayer. Deuteronomy 9:19 - 20 God extended grace & mercy!

As with Moses, I think the punishment that Moses administered to the people he deemed sufficient enough for Aaron as well.

Checks and balances, leaders just as everyone else should not have free reign. Accountability helps growth of the leader and also of his followers

Humility, awareness, being teachable, wisdom, and maturity. If they made a mistake, they need to admit it, repent and want to make amends.

Aaron, the priest-brother of Moses, unwittingly delivered one of the funniest lines in the whole of Scripture; though the context of it was not amusing, but tragic. When his usually mild brother, Moses, descended upon him in hot anger from his converse with God on the holy mountain, Sinai, demanding to know: What did this people do to you that you have brought so great a sin upon them?, Aaron concluded his nervous reply with: