JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Moses' Prayer of Frustration

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Why are we shown this prayer? How did God answer him?

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? He said it, he did not give birth to these complaining people and does not understand why he has to bear the brunt of their complaining; not withstanding obedience, he is human.

What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Frustrated, confused, and uninformed about the true power of the Lord.

Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Yes!! I know the politically correct answer is "no."

Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Yes, it is not wrong to bare our souls to God, it is better than complaining to each other and infecting everyone around us.

Why are we shown this prayer? To demonstrate that God answers fervent prayer. As he said in Jeremiah 33:3; "Call out to me and I will answer you from heaven and tell you great and mighty things you do not know." Did he ever tell Moses!!! "Is my arm too short!? Mercy, Mercy, Mercy; Go God!!! Though I have read this many times, I still get excited at the Power of the Lord!!

How did God answer him? A demonstration of His power and the length of His arm!! Quail for a month!!

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

I think Moses is frustrated in his prayers because he is feeling helpless in a time when the people are overbearing and acting in a belligerent behavior.

What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point?

I think that Moses is going through an emotional drain. He's at a loss as to why the people were so angry and disbelieving. Physically he is also exhausted from his position having to move around throughout the camp and he also was deprived of nutrients for the body.

Does he have any grounds for his complaints?

Looking at the situation from hindsight and one that we were not in, now we can say no, he had no grounds for complaints. But even with his faith in God, I think Moses never envisioned that the people would carryon the way that they did. After all this was his first time leading such a huge number of people.

Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer?

Moses' prayer as all prayers in the Bible are model prayers as they teach us the way to access the throne of grace and we see how God provides and answers those prayers.

Why are we shown this prayer?

We are shown this prayer to see how God provides in spite of our grumbling and complaining.

How did God answer him?

God answered Moses by sharing the load of his leadership responsibilities with seventy other men among the people; and by providing meat (food) for the people to eat.

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15)

Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

Moses is frustrated because of his own inability to take care of his people alone. The people are making demands for meat and he knows it is completely impossible for him to supply such numbers.

He askes for death to escape all the problems he is encountering. I think he is both physically and emotionally exhausted because of all the demands being made upon him.

No, not really. He has seen the miracles God has performed, and he should have delegated his leadership responsibilities and called on God

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Does he have any grounds for his complaints? Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Why are we shown this prayer? How did God answer him?

He is frustrated because he is getting wailed on, and because he needs faith to believe that God will move.

He's probably scared, and angry.

No. Trust and obey God, and He will come through just at the right time.

I think this is just one of the many examples that we have in the Bible for doing various things.

We are shown this prayer because we go through the same emotional roller coaster that Moses, and others went through-we are no different then they were. We just live in a different time period is all.

God told him that He would take care of the situation, of course! That's what He does! Gloray!

Moses is so frustrated in his prayer (Numbers 11:11-15) because his faith in God at that moment was fading away.

Emotionally Moses was depressed, frustrated, and stressed out and physically he was exhausted and worn out.

No, he does not have any grounds for his complaints knowing very well that God always have a plan and he sees the end from the beginning. Moses knows that God will do what he wants to do.

Yes, I believe this is designed to be a model prayer.

We are shown this prayer to be an ensample/example for us.

God answered Moses by putting some of his Spirit on 70 elders of Israel. God also promises abundant meat for the people. (Numbers 11:31-34)

Moses was frustrated in this prayer because he had obeyed God and the people were more of a challenge for him to handle.

It tears people down physically & emotionally when they are continually complaining.

He sure does have grounds for his complaints. The people were behaving badly.

Yes, it can be a model. Any time we admit to our inabilities, we also realize God's abilities.

I think we're shown this prayer to show Moses' humanness. He, like us, get frustrated with others.

God answered him by providing helpers and the meat desired by the people.

Listening to constant complaints is a very draining experience and can frustrate the best.When you're on the move all day, physically tired,but you're doing the best you can .. and in such a situation,if all you get are complaints,you'll undoubtedly feel frustration.

Hence,Moses certainly seems to have had grounds for his complaints; the constant, exasperating complaints , his own helplessness and physical exhaustion... but of course, theoretically ,we know that complaining is not the best response to complaints.

Is this a model prayer? The Lord's Prayer is a model prayer.From that point of view this is not.But it's a very reassuring prayer for the rest of us who frequently succumb to situations and whine and complain and feel guilty about that. It's so good to know that even Moses ( or any other 'hero', for that matter) went through such situations. And God will not throw us out if we appraoch Him at times in this manner.And God did listen and give some practical solutions to Moses' problems.

Nothing that God and Moses have done for the people has been enough to stop the constant complaining. Moses is certainly over-reacting when he prays for death to relieve him of the unbearable burden. Any parent who can't get a whining baby to settle or who can't solve the problem of a bored teenager can understand Moses' frustration. I personally can't imagine how he could cope with a million people's complaint and whinging.

He's totally burnt out in every way. God has also got His dander up at the complaining. He was exceedingly angry.

Yes he does. Moses feels that God has let the situation get to this point when He should have nipped it in the bud. I can remember situations in my own life when I felt that God should have gone a bit easier on me. God let things happen to me that I'm still feeling the effects of. Moses has finally snapped and who can blame him? Even God realizes that. God's rebuke of Moses, while stern, is also tempered by knowledge that Moses is at the breaking point.

Not really. Sometimes though you really need to let God know how you feel. In my own experience I can remember times when I've vented my spleen at God when it seemed He wasn't listening and didn't care. I can honestly say that I felt better for doing it and that God did seem to respond. I will hasten to add that I also apologized for my outbursts if I crossed the line when it came to respect for the Almighty.

The provision of the quail was a major event in the desert wanderings of the Israelites. The circumstances leading up to that bear investigation. Why did God so grossly oversupply the quail? If Moses's prayer hadn't been included in the narrative the story wouldn't be complete.

How did God answer him?

God firstly rebukes Moses then provides him with a solution to the problem. God also over-reacts here in a prime example of how even the Almighty God can be provoked to anger and emotional response.

He is so frustrated that the demands of the Israel people never end along the journey and the burden seems too much for him as a single person.

Emotionally he felt helpless , frustration and disappointment with the people and even to the God. Physically he is so exhausted to take care of millions of Israelites needs.

Certainly he have the grounds for his complaints as this is human nature to express the inner feeling to God.

This is a model prayer to us to put forward whatever our frustration and grievances to God and He will listen to us.

We learn from this prayer that how God respond to Moses's compliant and we should go to God instead of people.

How did God answer him?

God provide him with helpers and abundant of meat to the people although He rebukes him at first.

Moses is frustrated with the people. When they have an issue, he takes it before God and God answers their needs in His own perfect way. But, the people always need something; no matter what transpires, the people just keep wanting more and more. Moses recognizes that he can never please the people because there will never be an end to their desires and criticisms. I believe that their are grounds for his complaint before God; the people are never satisfied, but it isn't God's fault. It truly would be a heavy burden to bear. His prayer reflects his frustration; a model prayer would do more to ask God for His strength in this difficult time and have rest in the truth that God is in control. The prayer can be important to us when we are frustrated with our own circumstances. Though we can become so upset that we can't seem to make things work, we serve a Mighty God who can make a way out of no way and give us more than we had imagined.

Why is Moses frustrated in prayer?

Complaining, complaining, complaining. There is nothing so heavy and frustrating as always looking at the negative. Or being stuck in the past! That's what the people were doing and Moses felt like he was under a burden too great for him. So, what does he do? Complains to God! It is true that whatever we are around the most, we have a natural tendency to adopt as behavior for ourselves if we don't remain aware in it.

What is going on with Moses, emotionally and physically at this time?

Drained. He was totally drained and at the point of feeling like his frustration was too great and the burden of the people was too great. He actually relates to physically carrying them around! He's getting tired of caring for people who are not in the least grateful and he's feeling like it wasn't his "choice" in the first place. I wonder if he (like we sometimes do) was thinking God should have helped him have an easier way with leading the people. After all! It WAS God's idea....not his! That sounds familiar! Sometimes, though we are being truly obedient to do some glorious work...we are expecting the easiest way possible under God's direction...but then it turns out harder than one thought and even has to do with dealing with "self" issues too. Then we wonder in it. We get frustrated that reality didn't meet expectation.

Does he have grounds for the complaints?

I think so. It is a reality happening to him and though his prayer wasn't one of absolute faith in God, God honors when one bares their heart. David did that also and was helped.

Is it a model prayer?

If anyone wants the "perfect" prayer, this one probably wasn't it. Jesus gave us the model of that one and this one doesn't sound like it. Moses didn't just quietly and with complete trust, honor God, then ask for discernment and direction, but he did turn to God in his frustration instead of acting out, so I think it was an honest prayer.

To know that God sees us and does honor heart felt, honest prayers and to relate to the humanity of Moses. We tend to start thinking of our "Bible Heroes" as someone different than ourselves and they were really only humans, following God, acting like humans, finding faith and walking a journey with Him. We also see God's character through this prayer. He is just, but also loving and caring for our needs.

How did God answer him?

By directing him to appoint leaders to help him. He counseled him in supreme wisdom on how to handle the situation and make Moses's job more manageable. It's sure frustration when any one leader either TRIES to do anything by themselves or does not have others to help them. God also is going to send food, but food that will eventually leave them sick, so a disciplining action is seen here also.

Moses was the "point man"....the lightning rod for all of the whining and crying and complaining, and yet had no power to do anything about their murmuring. He was eating the same manna and yet was being held responsible for their perception that "God was mistreating them".

I think Moses, because of the burden, had begun to feel responsible FOR the people rather than responsible TO GOD, Who was responsible for the people. As a result, he was worn out both emotionally and physically. Moses was being "squeezed" by millions of petulant, suffering people who were unaware that they were living and experiencing one of the greatest miracles ever recorded!

We usually have to get angry before we set boundaries or ask for help when overwhelmed! I think God allowed Moses to reach that point....or in other words, to come to the end of himself...his own strength. Then he would be willing and glad to delegate to others to assist in the leadership. Did he have any grounds? Technically I think God expected/wanted him to bring the "load" to Him, and good for Moses that instead of "stuffing it" and becoming bitter and resentful toward God, he unloaded the burden. I've done the same thing in the past and was angry at God....it's in our fallen nature to blame, especially when we don't understand what God is doing. That was my learning curve for recognizing when I had allowed the "load to shift" from God's shoulders to mine. I thank Him for allowing me to see my limitations, and for the reminder of Who is really in charge!

It's not a great prayer pattern in content, but in intent it's perfect modeling for honesty and authenticity from a child of God to one's Heavenly Father. I've actually experienced sensing God's pleasure when I quit faking it and being "politically correct", so to speak, and became honest to goodness gut level honest with Him. My relationship changed dramatically in intimacy with the Lord when I stopped pretending that I wasn't hurting, discouraged, miserable, angry or in pain, and told Him the truth. Praise God!!!

I think we're shown this to see that Moses, as great a man of God as he was, and as revered in God's eyes and in Scripture, that underneath, he is "me"...a fallen, needy, struggling child of God in need of a Savior and His strength, wisdom and Spirit every minute of every day!

How did God answer him?

With no condemnation, no scolding, no humiliating words...just simply told Moses how his need for help to govern would be provided.....as If God was waiting for Moses to ask. Then told Moses the consequence for the people for their complaining and ingratitude toward His perfect provision (manna) would be quail until they were so cloyed with meat that they would vomit it out their nostrils.

forum

The people had no patience about anything, they could not get Egypt off of their minds. Every time something was not what they thought it should be, they would always refer how better they had it in Egypt, they forgot about the abused that the taskmasters treated them. Just as most so-called Christians complain today, Oh how we forget what God, brought us out of and start comparing the sinful life with the saved life. Just as most pastors today are trying to deal with half-hearted Christians, that are still not committed to the death of our ols self life. I pray for our pastors and leaders more than anyone, here lately. We should be doing more to help ease the load that our leaders are carring. Just as Moses, he had to get some help, it is almost impossible to maintain a sane stable life when everyone dumps teir problems or wants in the laps of anyone that will take them. Sometimes you just have to get serious with God, and tell Him what you need. As long as the request is possible and the requirements of the person asking is a true Christian;God will handle the request in His time and His way, not ours.

14 I am not able to carry all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me.

15 And if this is the way You deal with me, kill me, I pray You, at once, and be granting me a favor and let me not see my wretchedness [in the failure of all my efforts]. These two verses (14-15; Amp) they really show that Moses did not want to be a disappointment to his people.Numbers 11:33 (AMP)

33 While the meat was yet between their teeth, before it was consumed, the anger of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote them with a very great plague. Numbers 11:16 (AMP)

16 And the Lord said to Moses, Gather for Me seventy men of the elders of Israel whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them; and bring them to the Tent of Meeting and let them stand there with you.

1. Moses is so frustrated in his prayer because he take the place of God.

2. At this point Moses was not good , he was seek and fear was covering is life.

3. The was not any ground for his complaints.

4. I don

1. He is old and tired, and the people are forever nagging, grumbling and complaining---just like tired children. Not a pretty sight. Moses needs a break. Needs God to step in and give him respite.

2. If Moses had been a woman, he would have been reduced to tears by now. He had to be doubting himself in his role as leader, was worried about all these people, and was physically old and tired.

3. As a human, yes. As a designated priest of God, well, probably not as God tells us clearly that He will provide for all our needs

4. No. At no point is Moses thanking God for all they have already received, just complaining instead of thanking God for meeting their needs. I think the only model prayer is the one taught to us by Jesus. However it is good to know that God listens to us even when we complain.

5. So we can have a better understanding of Moses, the man. It also lets us know that God can and will listen to us and help us in our neediest times.

6. In our Lords love for him, he arranged for others to have the spirit in them to help Moses with the people. I think it is a point to ponder that God took only some of the spirit from Moses to accomplish this. Also, God gave the people the meat they were were asking for, but at what a price

Q1. (Numbers 11:11-15) Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? The constant to-ing and fro-ing between the moaning people and God was beginning to wear him down. Up until this point he had mainly got over this by simply handing everything over to God and although that made a difference in the short term, sooner or later the moaning would start over again and this time it appears that the discontent extended even to his own family. He had had enough and wanted to deal with all of this once and for all.

What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point? Exhausted in a word.

Does he have any grounds for his complaints? He does have cause for complaint, but not against God. God has, up until this point, always answered Moses, but this is the first time that Moses has cried out in this way.

Do you think this is designed to be a model prayer? Not really, although it does show us that we can and should be open with God about our feelings. However, my view is that this kind of prayer is appropriate only for points of crisis which is what Moses had clearly reached here.

Why are we shown this prayer? I'm not sure. Obviously, it is a crucial point in the whole narrative and a critical point in the story of the move of the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land.

How did God answer him? As always, He dealt with the problem which Moses had put before Him. First; He provides alternative hands to take some of the weight from Moses' shoulders (there is a big lesson here for us). Second; He deals with the immediate moaning - no meat - but at the same time teaches the people a stern lesson by providing so much meat that it seems that they would have been literally wading in it and by the end of the month begging for it to stop.

God had put Moses in charge of leading the nation of Israel, so he felt that the complaints were laid against him. And because God had appointed him, he charged God with taking the people out into the desert and not providing all that the people wanted. We want things that we pray for to happen "yesterday" and do not want to wait and hear all the complaints.

Moses' nerves are stretched to the breaking point, that cause him some very strong emotional stress. He cannot resolve the problem and has to ask God for help.

NO - Moses should remember all the miracles that God had done since they left Egypt.

NO - We are to express ourselves to God, but not accuse Him of not doing His job.

We have been shown this prayer because it shows that we need to have complete trust in Him to take care of all of our needs.

God answered Moses by providing meat for the people.

The constant moaning with the Israelite people and God was beginning to wear him down. Until this point he had mainly got over this by simply handing everything over to God and even though it made a difference in the short term, sooner or later the moaning would repeat itself over again, and this time it appears that the discontent and moaning and complaining extended even to his own family. He had enough and wanted to deal with all of this once and for all. Moses was in trouble and exhausted, no doubt about that. Moses does have a cause or reason for his complaint, but not really against the lord God. God has been attentative and always answered Moses when call upon, but this is the first time that Moses has cried out in this way. Not really, although it does show us that we can and should be open with God about our feelings. However, my view is that this kind of prayer is appropriate only for points of crisis which is what Moses had clearly reached here. I'm not quite sure about this one. It is a crucial point in the whole narrative and a critical point in the story of the move of the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land.

How did God answer him? As always, He dealt with the problem which Moses had put before Him. First; He provides alternative hands to take some of the weight from Moses' shoulders (there is a big lesson here for us). Second; He deals with the immediate moaning - no meat - but at the same time teaches the people a stern lesson by providing so much meat that it seems that they would have been literally wading in it and by the end of the month begging for it to stop.

The constant moaning with the Israelite people and God was beginning to wear him down. Until this point he had mainly got over this by simply handing everything over to God and even though it made a difference in the short term, sooner or later the moaning would repeat itself over again, and this time it appears that the discontent and moaning and complaining extended even to his own family. He had enough and wanted to deal with all of this once and for all. Moses was in trouble and exhausted, no doubt about that. Moses does have a cause or reason for his complaint, but not really against the lord God. God has been attentative and always answered Moses when call upon, but this is the first time that Moses has cried out in this way. It is evident that we can and should be open with God about our feelings. My point of view is that this is only appropriate when their is a disaster and/or crisis in which Moses had clearly experienced in this situation. I think it is a crucial point in the whole story of Moses, and a critical point during the move of the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land. God had always dealt with the problem which Moses had put before Him, First, he provideed an alternative hand to take some of the weight from Moses' shoulders and second God deals with the immediate moaning and complaints - no meat/food in this case - but at the same time teaches the people a critical lesson by providing so much meat that it seems that they would have been so overwhelmed with it, that at the end of the month start begging for it to stop.

I think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer because he sees leadership to be a burden to him and also he feels he is not in a position to give the people what they want.

I think what is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point is that, emotionally is disturbed; he feels he is nothing as he cannot do anything on the demands of the people and physically he is weak,no more strength and he even desires to die rather than continuing to live under such circumstances.

I don't think he has any grounds for his complaints. He knows what God has done so far for the Israelites and definitely if he could just approached God, the problem could have been solved without lamenting.

I don't think this is designed to be a model prayer.

I think we are shown this prayer as a lesson to leaders to show how difficulties can influence them negatively to the expetent of forgetting the mighty of the Lord.

God answered Moses by putting His spirit on 70 of the Israel's elders; I think with the intent to support Moses; and also by promising abundant meat so as to show His glory.

A mixed multitude, masses of people came out of Egypt along with the Israelites, and they have been causing problems for God

Answer:

1.Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer? What do you think is going on in him emotionally and physically at this point?

It seems the people never learned

Why do you think Moses is so frustrated in his prayer?

The root of Moses frustration was as it is for many of us in this day and time. As he was serving the Lord he took ownership of the service, it was as if it was his work. He was beginning to lean upon his own understanding. Because God is a Spirit and we operate in the natural just as Moses did we tend to go with what we know, with what our senses reveal.

Moses was feeling as he did in the beginning when he accepted the charge, he was frustrated because he felt inadequate and revealed it as he conversed with God. He was stressed, he was at a point when the demands outweighed his ability to deal with them.

Emotionally Moses was displeased, deeply distressed, angry, doubtful (questioned if God still favored him), depressed (wished God would kill him). He was stressed and frustrated, being so he was also venting in a disrespectful manner as he asked a series of questions in verse 12.

Emotions can have an effect on the physical body, when we are happy we tend to be excited and show signs of vitality. With all of the negative emotions emoting from Moses although the Scriptures does not mention any physical weakness I imagine being that there was a lot of negative emotions he probably was weary and weak. In verse 14 he mentioned the load being too heavy, and in verse 15 he asked let me not see my wretchedness

In his eyes (his reasoning) he does. Even though we know how the segment of Scripture ends I would still say no. Having said that because Moses has a human nature as do we, he was inclined to complain as the circumstances grew in the manner as they did. Moses nor are we robots, God does not control us to the degree where we do not have the power of choice. He allows us to make choices and as we do if we are not in line with His guidance, if we are in relationship with Him we will see the error in our choice. Moses in took the charge as if it was his, God allowed him to reach the point of being overwhelmed, and because Moses had an intimate relationship with God he turned to Him. When Moses got out of his own strength, God provided a viable solution.

No not at all, if model is likened to something we should follow. What I do think appropriate is that prayer is communicating to / with God. Having said that we should be able to talk with Him in our time of need. Regardless if that time of need is a time we face the emotions that Moses was facing and or others. Job did likewise, as did Elijah. I could say a lot about what prayer is not, but I'll refrain from that. If we pray / talk to God in an emotional torrent, most when they come to their senses will as well pray for forgiveness at another point in time, as did Job. God already knows how and what you feel, he could shut your mouth to where you could not utter a word, He could stop your though, whereby you could be thoughtless. He doesn't do that, nor would He. He allows us to communicate to Him, ad as we continue in our walk with Him things will be revealed as He desires in His timing and not ours.

We are shown this prayer just as we are shown so many things throughout Scripture. It is an example unto us. There are examples that we should follow and then there are examples that we should not follow. Most throughout Scripture were not perfect, I love Hebrews 11 the entire chapter, the portions that go beyond verse 1. There were many that by, through and or with faith that obtained a good report, however all except Enoch have recorded errors made.

Regardless of the tone it shows us a good example of casting our cares unto the Lord. Because we live in the natural, have emotions, and there are other people among us we are going to be offended, pressed and hurt. being such there are times when we may have our ride on the emotional roller coaster, weather we are walking in a direct charge or an indirect charge it is always a good things to take our burdens to the Lord in prayer. The song writer said, "What A Friend We Have In Jesus"!

How did God answer him?

One has to read farther in the chapter, beginning from verse 16 God provides the solution. He lets Moses know that he was not alone spiritually (He answered his prayer) and physically (he told him to commission others). God answered the prayer (not the way I'm sure Moses and the other would have liked.) He as well told Moses the consequence for the people for their complaining and ingratitude toward more than His provision (manna), but also towards His leading. The people would have meat, it would be loathsome and they would have it for a month.

At this time in the life of Moses, he is 80 years old. He had spent 40 years in the desert and was a shpherd for his father-in-law there. Not much for people skills needed there. He lived a quiet life. Then God has him doing this job of leading the Isrealites to the promised land. This job was way out of his elements. He was old, he stuttered, he was a desert person. At this time the people remembered things from Egypt that was not as important, because they where slaves then. Moses was tired of baby-sitting these ungrateful people.