JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Bronze Snake

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-15) What precipitated the plague of snakes? Blatant ingratitude and speaking against both Moses and God.

Is being impatient with God

Q2. (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-15) What precipitated the plague of snakes?

The people spoke disparaging words against God and against Moses, complaining once again about having no bread or water, grumbling about God

Q2. (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-15)

What precipitated the plague of snakes?

God was getting tired of the grumbling and criticism by the people of their food, as well as being ungrateful and impatient about their position. This after all God has done for them. This time they not only blamed Moses but God as well. So now, God rightfully decides to punish them for their rebelliousness.

Is being impatient with God's provision a sin?

Most definitely.

Why or why not?

This was the eighth time they had complained bitterly. They still had not learned to trust God; they were doubting His Word and His Promises. This is the same as calling God a liar and is a sin, and like all sins is punishable by death.

What are the points of comparison between the bronze snake in the desert and Christ on the cross?

We read about the Israelites, as they wandered through the wilderness, becoming discouraged and impatient. For complaining against the Lord, and as punishment God sent a plaque of snakes and many died. People now cried to the Lord in repentance, and God got Moses to make a serpent of brass and to place it on a pole for all to see. Those bitten by snakes had to look to the bronze snake and were healed. Jesus quoted this OT incident in answer to a question by Nicodemus on how to be born again. People have been bitten by the snake of sin and condemned to eternal death. We know from Rom 6:23,

The plague of snakes was precipitated by the impatience of the people. Like their fathers before them, when they encountered problems they started complaining; speaking against God and Moses.

Yes. I think it is sin to be impatient with God's provision. Beacuse this is like going against the grace of the Lord. He knowss what the people need and under the prevailing circumstances, he provides it.

The points of comparison between the bronze snake in the desert and Christ on the cross are that, in the desert, when people were bitten by the snake and looked on the bronze snake, they were healed. In case of Jesus on the cross, everybody who on Him will have eternal life.

Open criticism and rebellion against God. This time they not only criticized Moses but God Himself.

Is being impatient with God

After a great victory when the Lord gave over the canaanites to Israel and they utterly destroyed their cities, they journeyed around Mt. Hor by way of the Red Sea to go around the land of Edom. The people became impatient, depressed, and much discouraged because of the trials of the journey. They began to speak against God and against Moses. They loathed the manna and accused them of bringing them into the wilderness to die. THEN the Lord sent fiery, burning serpents among the people.....

This was more than impatience...this was all out rejection of God, His plan, His servant Moses. This was the sin: impugning God's character and that of Moses, and accusing them of evil motives.

Why or why not?

I've grown impatient along the way, waiting for 30 years for the promises I've been given. I've been honest with the Lord that I've grown weary. I don't feel convicted of sin for speaking my heart. I believe God wants us to be honest with Him, but in a respectful way. It's not possible for Him to commit evil or to have evil intentions.

What are the points of comparison between the bronze snake in the desert and Christ on the cross?

The bronze snake was to be lifted up on a pole and anyone who had been bitten, if they looked (attentively, expectantly, with a steady and absorbing gaze (amp.) would not die. In other words, they had to believe that God's provision of a bronze snake would save them.

Jesus was lifted up on the cross which defeated the serpent who "bruised Jesus' heel, but whose head was crushed" when Jesus' sinless blood was shed (prophesied in Gen. 3:15)

I was struck by John's words and how they parallel the words regarding being saved from death by snake bite: "Jesus was lifted up on the cross in order that everyone who believes in Him (who cleaves to Him, trusts Him and relies on Him) may not perish but have eternal life and live for ever!" Faith in God's provision and looking to Him alone is the only way to be saved!

The plague of snakes was visited on the people for their complaining against God and His provisions for them.

I think being impatient for God's provisions is a sin because it shows mistrust in Him and in His divine wisdom in how He is directing our lives. God WILL provide. It may seem as though He is slow in coming or it may not even be how we "thought" it would be given, but He is faithful and HIS way is divine so we can trust in that.

The comparison between the snake lifted up for healing and Christ lifted up on the cross, is that both show faith as what is needed for healing and life. In the case of the Israelites and the snake bites, by faith they were healed. It was a lesson in really trusting God that if they looked on the snake they would be delivered.

For us, looking to the cross of Christ and believing by faith we will be healed of our sins and delivered from death is our declaration of faith.

What precipitated the plague of snakes?

They complain openly about God and criticize his provision of food, rather than blame their problems on Moses only

I think yes, in our minds we can rationalize the many reasons. However when It comes to the bottom line I think yes.

Why or why not? Even though I think yes, I yet thank Him for His being compassionate, long suffering, merciful and extending His grace on the occasions when I have been impatient. I believe that it is a sin mainly because this is not a characteristic that God conveys. Nor was it a characteristic that Christ displayed when He humbled Himself in the likeness of man.

When Abraham and Sarah was impatient in the promise of God, God was not please with it. They acted in their own talents, gifts, abilities and reasoning, a child was birth but it was not the child of promise. They as well had to deal with all of the misgivings that occurred because of their being impatient.

The bronze snake in the desert and Christ on the cross brought deliverance to those who by faith, looked upon them and accepted God's forgiveness of sins.

The people became impaitient & complained about God & his provision for them.

Being impatient with God and speaking out against Him was a sin. They were not honest or trusting.

The bronze snake & Jesus lifted up both healed people & delivered them. Both instances took trust & belief on the part of the people to receive this healing.

Q2. (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-15) What precipitated the plague of snakes? Is being impatient with God's provision a sin? Why or why not? What are the points of comparison between the bronze snake in the desert and Christ on the cross?

Answer:

1.What precipitated the plague of snakes?

People

Answering to Q.2:The result was that lots of Israelites died of snakes' bites but after Moses lifted up the bronze

serpent then they were saved.

The impatient to God 's provision is a kind of sin to me for the good things God plans or likes to bestow on us must be respected or regarded as the best gifts we could obtain; I suppose everyone is ready and wholeheartedly to get or receive but the point is that whatever or whenever these things come, we are seldom realised that these are the gifts we are waiting for. And then they became the causes or chances of discards, unexpectations and/or disrespects to the provision of God.

The bronze snake Moses lifted up according to the words of God at that time saved lots of lives of Israelites who looked upon it represents also the salvation or redemption Christ renders to us so pricelessly with His most precious Blood that all of us should try our best to obtain.