JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obedience to Leaders

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9) How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ? How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church? Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not? What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9) How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ? How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church? Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not? What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?

Obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ because the congregation walks in right standing as they follow the teaching of the servant leader.

Obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church as they lead the church to follow their own self serving appetites.

Yes, I am obedient to those whom God has placed over me in the Lord in accordance with the Word of God.

The relationship between obedience and church unity is complete harmony with the Will of God.

It keeps order and demonstrates commitment to the church and the position when it is aligned with Scripture. Self serving leaders not only hurt the church, they grieve the Holy Spirit. It demonstrates that they are not Spiritually led and it fragments not only the church but the reputation of the pastor. Always seeking to be encouraging, obedience is simply another way to serve. However, when it is evident that the leadership in question is mal-aligned; the Spirit is grieved when thier motives are not in the best interest of the Spirit or the church. Unity is ALWAYS disrupted when overt disobedience is displayed. It is greater disrupted when it is obvious that the disobeyed leader has reached the "Peter Principle." The credibility of the church suffers, all churches.

If the leader is truly a Christ centered servant leader, obedience will help foster a unity among the body. Here I remind myself I am speaking of unity in the body not uniformity where all are clones of the leader. Following a leader who is self centered, self-serving promotes factions, friction, and disunity in the body.

Obedience to servant leaders who are prayed up keeps the body of Christ healthy and moving in the direction that God wants it to go. If these leaders are self-serving, the church will suffer sooner or later. We are called to be obedient to those whom God has placed over us in the Lord as long as what they are asking us to do lines up with the Holy Spirit and the Bible. Church unity is directly related to obedience. If you have factions within a church with parts agreeing and parts disagreeing with the leadership, the church will be torn apart. Satan will win in destroying it. Obedience and unity is imperative for a healthy church to combat the enemy.

Being obedient to the authority in the church brings about unity and harmony among the members and helps the church grow spiritually. Obedience to self-serving leaders hurts the church because you are helping a leader who has an agenda of his own and has nothing to do with glorifying God. This person is leading you away from what God has for you. I am obedient to those whom are over me spiritually because for one I look on them as representatives of God, not as God and I do what they say as long as I feel that it is truth from God. I obey them because God tells me to and it helps to have peace, harmony and unity among the church members.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9)

How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ? The first real lesson is that God is not the author of confusion, He will have no part of it. Their always has to be someone leading, our obedience to them as long as it does not doing anything contrary to the Word of God, help the leader in any way possible, if he or she is not a qualified leader, the true colors will always show. You shall know by the fruit they bare.

How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church? This is one of the most corrupt things that can happen, especially if it is who you know or scratch my back and I will do likewise, this is very dangerous especially for new converts, I would hate to have a new convert go to hell, because I was playing the buddy system, there will be blood on the hands of self-serving people.

Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not? Yes I don't play around with the ones who have authority over me, if they are wrong are going the wrong way, they will have to answer to God for there actions

What is the relationship between obedience and church unity? They go hand in hand without obedience their can not be any unity. A well run church is everyone has there place and job to do. It takes a whole body to make up the body of the church, no job is unimportant, the unity and harmony is a place you will find the Spirit of God Dwelling

Maranatha;

Brother mike McCue

Obedience to church leaders keeps unity in the church & keeps it healthy. Obedience to self-serving leaders causes factions that split the church & ultimately destroy it. Yes. I know God placed them in that position over me. I may not agree with them, but then, I don't have to! (unless they're causing a split in the church--then you begin the route to healthy church discipline.

Answer:

1. How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ?

It put things in proper order.

Romans 13:1-3- Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment,1 and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 13:2 So the person who resists such authority2 resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment.

1. How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church?

Self serving are of the flesh…and must not be followed.All Glory belongs to God alone..those self serving are doing it for their own pride,and honor and not for God.

1. Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord?

Sometimes I am not obedient.This is the struggle that I am right now..and been praying for God’s deliverance..

Thank you Jesus…

4. Why or why not? What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?

It is vital..that obedience will always bind the unity of church,oneness in Christ.

Edited by Ramon

Obedience to servant leaders in the church firstly honors God. We are not to be concerned about who is most important or trying to be that but to God be true. It helps the church run smoothly and allows the leaders to attend to other areas needing attending.

Self-serving leaders will not be concerned with God's glory but with their own which actually doesn't exist. The church members will become divisive and arrogant and prideful.

Yes as long as it does not go against the Word of the Lord and if I can do it. Physical limitations and my own home chores in caring for my husband limit my time.

The relationship between obedience and church unity is too have a church that can operate for the Lord to the maximum with love abundant as we delight in each others God given abilities and talents.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

A servant shepherd is going to be humbly leading by the Word of God, so obedience will build and edify the Church while bringing glory to God. A self-serving leader is going to be leading by human wisdom, plans, and desires, so obedience will damage the Church and hinder the cause of Christ while stealing glory from God.

I am obedient in general, but I cannot obey in matters where I believe Scripture is not being accurately applied. In my church there are some matters of disagreement, but overall they regard non-foundational principles and I do not take an active stance of opposition. In violating of the primary principle of showing love for the fellow believers, the world will only see hypocrisy. Without church unity there will be dissension, bitterness, disrespect, and compromised effectiveness for the kingdom of God.

I have been in many churches where respect was not a two-way street. And-I have been in churches where the truth was mixed with half-truths and lies. If I am in a church where the pastor puts the truth first, that pastor will have my respect and I will be there whenever the doors are open. If I'm in a church where the opposite is happening, I would just leave.

I don't think it matters anymore. I have been in churches that split because of one thing or another. This is one reason why I don't go on a regular basis. There seem to be so many differing opinions as to how things should be done. Church leaders are so afraid of saying something that offends others that their sermons are almost dead. It's very distressing. I stress daily reading the scriptures for one's self so that the truth will be known.

Without leaders, everyone does as he pleases, so you get anarchy or sects.

Then the leaders have a state of their own, being extremely rich, while the believers are left in the dark.

Then people have no more trust in the church.

Ehm... not really.

Obedience makes unity.

No obedience means no unity.

This happened in Constantinopel; because the christians were divided, the Turks could easily take over.

My church, its preachers, elders, deacons, they are so wise, so much in touch with God. it is very useful to listen to people, and listening to these leaders of my church, the tone of their voice, their faces, their body postures, etc. This in itself is a learning experience.

We are lucky when we can learn something, and since everything happens for a reason, we ned to be great listeners when our leaders need to speak out, because they also are listening very carefully with the eyes and ears of the Lord, in everything they see going on.

Praise and thanks to God for Heritage Fellowship Church of Herndon VA, and for all the saints in this church and community.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9) How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ?

The Lord calls one to shepherd and lead and the flock to follow, not blindly and mindlessly, but in obedience to good, godly leaders, which creates unity and harmony.

How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church?

It's like giving an alcoholic a drink...they become more and more self serving and "drunk" with misuse of power, rather than functioning in their proper, God given authority.

Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not?

Yes, I am. I learned years ago that to become an effective leader, one has to first learn to follow. I appreciate the "chain of command" and honor that. But I don't turn off my brain and my discernment. Like the Bereans we are told to test what is being taught to see if it lines up with Scripture. When a former pastor suddenly became a dictator run amok, rather than create chaos and disunity, we spoke to the deacon board about our concerns and learned that he was no longer holding himself accountable to the board, and they were in shock as well. We left the church, and the entire board left soon after as well. He eventually moved on, but some "sheep" were so damaged by his behavior that they no longer feel safe in a church setting. Devastating that Satan created such heartache through the ego of one man.

What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?

They are closely tied together. If the sheep are trying to control the pastor (or worse, intimidate and manipulate him into following them) there can be no unity. Harmony flows when sheep are willing to be led by a strong, godly leader, with mutual love and respect, and when the Holy Spirit is allowed to function in each according to their gifting. Then we are known by our love!

Obedience to "Servant" Leaders is important because a humble leader is submitting to GOD'S will. If we follow obediently, then we can be unified in what God wants for the church.

Obedience to "Self Serving" Leaders bears bad fruit. We only follow "Man Made" ideas and the Holy Spirit's guidance is not present. We usually see lies and distrust develop out of these kinds of followings, because it is not of the Spirit, but of the flesh.

I am obedient and try to be helpful to any vision cast from Leadership as long as it aligns with God's Word. It's helpful when you can see Leadership following their own vision. Duplicity makes me wonder if IS a vision from God. Even then, I am obedient, knowing no one is perfect, but if I start to see the truth is not consistent in any one Leader, I go to God with my doubts and receive His guidance in what to do.

The relationship between obedience and church unity is a oneness with the Father, through the Son and led by the Holy Spirit. If we truly have a vision from God, then we can all become like minded together to see that vision come to fruition. If we have those who aren't "on board" then we have disunity and unrest and it really causes the chaos and distraction that satan just loves to see, and uses, to undermine the church as a whole.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9)

How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ? Obedience keeps harmony and helps build and further the cause of Jesus Christ.

How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church? By creating dissention and hurting the church family

Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Yes I would be should be in line with scripture.

What is the relationship between obedience and church unity? Peace, building up of one another and Harmony.

a. We set an example for our young people and new Christians, and with a spirit of obedience to Gods chosen leaders, the church can accomplish Gods will and Gods work here on earth as we will be working as one, with no dissention.

b. We become confused, unsure what to do. We read our Bible and see how we should act and then hear what we are told to do by this self serving leader and we can't reconcile the reading and hearing.

c. Yes

d. Our leader (my church is between ministers) was a God fearing, Bible reading man we could look up to. We are praying for the same. When he asked us to pray about something, we knew he had been praying and studying over it first. If he asked us to step out of our comfort zone to work, we knew he would help us see Gods will.

e. An obedient church is united. It takes a strong leader to direct a churchs path, but one that is humble enough to admit his failings and ask for prayer for himself. If we can follow our leaders directions, knowing his words are coming from the Bible, thus from God, we will be united to go forth as one body to do whatever task God has set for us.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9) How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ?

Our leaders have so much on their plate, if we are obidient enough we will be unburdening them from every situation everyone is facing.

How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church?

Ezekiel 34 v 1 it says: How horrible it will be for the shepherds of Israel who have been taking care of only themselves. Shouldn’t shepherds take care of the sheep? v5 - 6So they were scattered because there was no shepherd. When they were scattered, they became food for every wild animal. The church will not survive it will split.

Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not?

Honestly i am too judgemental, right now within a year i am in a third ministry. May God help me to be obedient to my leaders

What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?

Obedience is good, but (only) if it is done for God's sake, Our Lord Jesus he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death on a cross.

1. OBEDIENCE BRINGS UNITY TO THE CHURCH

2.SELF SERVING LEADERS ARE JUST THAT. THEY WANT TO BE ON TOP AND PRESENT THEMSELVES AS KNOWING EVERYTHING. WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN OUR LORD GODS EYES.

3.I AM OBEDIENT TO A LEADER THAT IS TRULY PLACE THEIR BY GOD, AND WE WILL KNOW BY ACTION ,TEACHING AND BY THE WAY HE PRESENT GODS WORD TO THE CHURCH.I THINK A LEADER SHOULD TEACH THE WORD AND LEAVE HIS OPINION OUT.

4. IT BRINGS UNITY TO THE CHURCH.

1. OBEDIENCE BRINGS UNITY TO THE CHURCH

2.SELF SERVING LEADERS ARE JUST THAT. THEY WANT TO BE ON TOP AND PRESENT THEMSELVES AS KNOWING EVERYTHING. WE ARE ALL EQUAL IN OUR LORD GODS EYES.

3.I AM OBEDIENT TO A LEADER THAT IS TRULY PLACE THEIR BY GOD, AND WE WILL KNOW BY ACTION ,TEACHING AND BY THE WAY HE PRESENT GODS WORD TO THE CHURCH.I THINK A LEADER SHOULD TEACH THE WORD AND LEAVE HIS OPINION OUT.

4. IT BRINGS UNITY TO THE CHURCH.

Obedience to servant leaders brings peace and unity in the body of Christ, while obedience to self- serving leaders hurts the church because they are looking to control their followers and don't allow people to be led by the Spirit of God.I am obedient to my spiritual leader because God's Word commands us to be obedient to those whom He has placed as our spiritual authority.Obedience to God's Word and to our spiritual leader promotes unity because there is no strife and we are all in one accord when we obey and receive correction; obedience brings the blessings of God upon the church.

Obedience to servant leaders can reassure them, build their confidence and allow them to focus on those issues and people they can best focus on. It can provide an example to others so that they also follow and grow as a group to benefit spiritually. I hope to support those leaders who follow Scripture and act in alignment with God's Word; otherwise I will point out differences and follow as God directs me.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 2:9) How does obedience to servant leaders help the church of Jesus Christ? How does obedience to self-serving leaders hurt the church? Are you obedient to those whom God has placed over you in the Lord? Why or why not? What is the relationship between obedience and church unity?Paul described the Church as a human body,if the servant leader is the brain & a member is the heart.If the heart covets that it wants to be in charge then decides it will stop functioning then the whole body suffers/dies.Churches have been torn apart because of individual PRIDE which Proverbs says comes before the FALL!!!Yes,personally i work better behind the scene...GOD LOVES obedience better than sacrifice,if a Church practices religion(sacrifice)then it will not receive the BLESSINGS of GOD...Abel & Cain both gave an offering but because Abels was from obedience & Cains was from sacrifice(religion)GOD didnt accept Cains...GOD BLESS