JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Fragrance of Christ

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the "allergic to Christian perfume" phrase. It is a challenge to deal with the animosity we as believers experience with increasing intensity. My prayer is to stay within God's will and receive His strength to live out His purposes. Staying in His word is critical for me to persevere. Thank you for opportunity to fill myself with the convictions of His word. ( Hebrews 10:35-36 ; Is 49:23) Hopefully, we can pray for one another to be the sweet fragrance of Christ in an angry world.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? The most effective way is to look at the fruit the person is producing, is it rotten, can you smell it, these days people are hiding behind so many masks, that you don't even know the real person.

In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? God will hear nothing from a false fragrance, God likes the sweet smelling savor that is real and genuine.

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? Most of the imitation Christians, can fool most people, with their false worship and when the battle is raging, you will see the real person come out.

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel? This is what has hindered most people, they don't even realize that the devil has got them fooled in believing that they are right with God. Get real with God and let Him renew your fragrance then you will enjoy the spirit of God as He cleans your heart from the false sour, fragrance, from the Masters hand. Live a real Christian life.

In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? They see my joy and in essence say, "I want that for myself."

In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? They hate the joy and want to dispel it; it inteferes with their negative perspective.

Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? Absolutely not, as a matter of fact, I am allergic to their behavior. I works out for me.

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel? The fragrance is intense and I am loving it.

When we know God and reflect the spirit in our daily lives, people who are open to God are drawn to the joy and peace that we radiate. It is like a spiritual magnet to them. People who are closed to God find our closeness to God repugnant and weakwilled. The spiritual magnet works repels them. I don't suppress my Christian fragrance; I am who I am. I have just as much right to be me as they have to be a non believer.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

The wonderful aroma of steak grilling or cinnamon rolls baking draws the hungry to the fire or to the kitchen for a taste. Just smelling a scent can take us back to powerful memories from years ago or even childhood. When one is seeking more in life or is hungering to know if God is "real", the Christian who has an intimate relationship with the Lord looks, acts, and "seems" different which entices the seeker to want more of what the "fragrance" advertises...I've used the steak example when sharing with someone who wanted the reality of God without surrendering their will to Him...You can't enjoy the fragrance of the steak and receive the sustenance from it.. until you eat it...take it in...chew it...digest it in order to benefit fully...for it to sustain life.

In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God?

I hate to go to the grocery store when I've just eaten and am full....the smells and sight of food seems repulsive! In the same way, when one is satisfied with an empty, dead life of sin, which is satiated with that which satisfies the fallen nature, the fragrance of Christ repels, and threatens what they are enjoying...putrefaction! It's the smell of death to them!

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

Sadly, at times I have kept quiet. I've noticed those times have been when I've been powerfully intimidated or have been feeling oppressed or depressed. My desire is that everyone comes to know our precious Lord Jesus, and my prayer is that He gives me boldness and the leading of the Holy Spirit to share, no matter how I FEEL. As the song says, "Jesus is the fragrance after the rain"...my desire and prayer is that the Holy Spirit so empower me and His love so fills me that His fragrance through me draws others into the triumphal procession into eternity.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

My sisters aren't interested in God; when people talk about Him, they feel aggravated.

So to them 'this fragrance is repugnant'.

Therefore I rather evoke the subject.

Maybe this is suppression of 'fragrance'?

On the other hand, my stepgrandmother is a God-fearing woman.

How do you call that in English, stone squares with Bible-quotes on them?

Anyway, she has lots of them on the wall.

But I don't think I'm going to do that...

Well, this question shows that this is still a nowadays problem!

I liken it to those who like darkness and those who like light. To those who are open to God it will be sweet and comforting. To those who are in darkness it is uncomfortable because it conflicts with the darkness in them. They can see themselves and it brings forth rage and anger. It is a spiritual battle raging in people.

I tread slowly with some people because I know the reaction is going to be viceral. I wait for openings. Is that suppressing? I don't feel so. People know my beliefs and the reaction here has been intense on many occasions. Sometimes it is good to pull back. The Lord went off by Himself many times. He knew the hatred of our enemy. People who are fighting God will react to the fragrance of God. They will want to get rid of it, ridicule, shun, persecute, murder it is so totally opposed to the natural unredeemed sin nature.

I agree with the first post. We need to pray for each other. I need prayer.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Love the "allergic to Christian perfume" phrase. It is a challenge to deal with the animosity we as believers experience with increasing intensity. My prayer is to stay within God's will and receive His strength to live out His purposes. Staying in His word is critical for me to persevere. Thank you for opportunity to fill myself with the convictions of His word. ( Hebrews 10:35-36 ; Is 49:23) Hopefully, we can pray for one another to be the sweet fragrance of Christ in an angry world.

I think Anne said this very well

God is fragrant and He is the Rose of Sharon. Roses are very fragrant. We must smell the fragrance of His sweet love and envelop ourselves in that fragrance. People who do not know Jesus, are allergic to His sweet love. They turn away. I have never and would never suppress my fragrance, because then people would not be interested in Jesus. I must put this fragrance on each and every day. Fragrance is the knowledge of Christ. We are a sweet smell to Jesus because we spread His Word. The aroma of the fragrance represents victorious life to others. The gospel message gives life to those who accept it, but represents death and judgment to those who reject it.

a. They enjoy listening to people talk of God. Get excited when they learn of Jesus and salvation. Their eyes light up, their faces smile, they ask questions. What a fragrence as they learn to follow God, trust the savior.

b. They turn away. Shun you, refuse to listen when you talk about God, Jesus, or salvation. You can see their countenance change when you try to speak. Their eyes turn cold, they turn away or turn the conversation to something else. They don't want to hear...tune out, turn off, as though you and your message smell bad. They are in their comfort zone, with all their worldly possessions.

c. Oh yes, many times. I'll never be ashamed of my Lord and Savior, but will have to let God handle some people. Someone, somewhere can touch their heart with Gods help.

d. Church, my church friends, talking to other Christians, reading the Bible, and most important, talking about it with God. Singing hymns turns my soul toward God in praise.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a)

In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

True believers, those who love Jesus, are always emitting a fragrance that is pleasing to God. When we meet a Spirit-filled believer we cannot help but sense this distinctive fragrance of our Lord Jesus – a rich bouquet of the fruit of the Spirit – joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. The world does not sense this aroma; to them this is a sign of weakness and therefore repugnant to them. All they smell is the pungent odour of death – eternal death. In years past I was not always wholly open about my Christianity – it often depended upon the company I kept. This is thankfully not true today. I cannot help but let everyone know whom I serve. By His grace, mercy, and love, and by diligently studying the Word and having fellowship with other believers I try to become more and more like my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

We shall know them by their fruits. By showing love, by sharing the word of God together .

Our Lord He was rejected by men, even today people they dont want to listen to the word of God, they are turning away from you

Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

Yes,

By repenting. Asking for the forgiveness.

When people are open to God, they are hungry and we fill them with the Word. In the same way, their "spiritual" sense of smell detects a wonderful fragrance around believers. There is a sweetness about us and our testimony because we know Jesus (and are in unity with Him). There is a hope we give to others and the love of God to share. We love in action and not just words. These are pleasing offerings and so different from the world. Those seeking for more in their lives, and who are turning to God, will take notice.

It is repugnant to those closed to God because they are in the world and don't even want to get out of the trash heap of worldly living. If one likes the smell of garbage, one will want to keep with the smell of garbage!

Yes, I have in my life suppressed my fragrance for fear of "offending" others. I don't so much now, because I've grown in faith and my love is so much stronger. It seems now, of little importance to keep up with people pleasing (that's a dead end street) and fear, (by the power of God) is greatly diminished. In the course of being sanctified myself, I am more aware of my purpose and the urgent call to share from my life what I know is the only hope for people's lives. Jesus. I've come to know Him as Light, Healer, Truth, Hope, and Savior so I speak up now and share for others sake.

Regaining the fragrance for Christ's Gospel is a matter of turning to God ourselves and giving prayerful reflection on our own lives. It is in submitting again, our whole lives to take up our cross and BE true followers of Jesus. In asking for help, we can be renewed by the power of the Holy Spirit and can be used again to offer the sacrifice of that sweet fragrance to God for others.

All for Him and for those who will come to Him.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

Spiritual fragrance seems like a new dimension of knowing how beautiful God is and even the fragrant death of Jesus on the cross, a Holy Sacrifice for all of us shows us how lucky we are for Grace and Peace in knowing Christ.

Sadly, some of my family members are repelled by this lovely fragrance, so we can pray for their spiritual awakening!

To regain this beauty we follow Jesus' words "....remain in me..."

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your "fragrance" because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel?

Spiritual fragrance seems like a new dimension of knowing how beautiful God is and even the fragrant death of Jesus on the cross, a Holy Sacrifice for all of us shows us how lucky we are for Grace and Peace in knowing Christ.

Sadly, some of my family members are repelled by this lovely fragrance, so we can pray for their spiritual awakening!

To regain this beauty we follow Jesus' words "....remain in me..."

In knowing God our inner light reflects this drawing in others who sense it and are looking for it, It is repugnant to those only because they are more into what the world has to offer believing more the money, success and one's position in this life.

Yes, I have and I try everyday not to supress it. I have come a long way only because I'm growing in the faith and I'm tired of being afraid of offending. One of our duties or requests from God is that we share our faith with others. In order to move forward I have found that Bible study and Church help strenghten me so that I lose that fear.

People who are open to knowing God will warmly embrace the message of the Cross and it becomes a sweet smelling fragrance to them while those who want to practice their licentious lifestyle will find the gospel repugnant and offensive because their hearts are closed to God and His ways.Only last week I was trying out some samples of new perfumes at the store and some of them were heavenly smelling. In the same way, I believe the Cross brings a heavenly scent and life to those who are perishing.I do believe I need to regain some of that saltiness and flavor I once had when I first came to Christ.Almost all of my family seem to be allergic to christian perfume and I have gotten somewhat discouraged over the years. I pray the Holy Spirit will enable me to regain the fragrance of Christ's gospel.

We all have a certain odor and others could tell who we are if they were blind. And the fragrance that we expel as Christians is very acceptable to others who are open to God. Our total personality and character shows who we are and what we have to give to others. Our fragrance will drawn people to us to share the love of Jesus.

Those who are of this world think the fragrance that we have, stinks. Because it offends them, making them feel guilty and they believe that enjoying it will restrict their activities.

No, I have not and just the opposite happens when I am out shopping. People seem to be drawn to me with my "godly odor" to ask questions. It amazes those who are with me.

The only way to regain the "special fragrance of Jesus" is by prayer and meditation in the Bible. The more you read, the more you will become like Jesus if you surrender your life to Him.

If I spend a little bit of time around someone who says they are Christian, it won't take long to realize whether they are being honest or not. I don't suppress my love for Jesus at all, and I get in trouble sometimes. Mostly with my family. They find me "repugnant" because I am a believer and they aren't

We are all as Christians expected to take on the "character" and likeness of Christ to the best of our abilty as we are enabled. I like to think that as I walk, it is with Him, as I talk, it is with Him and so others around me are subjected to this whether they like it or not. One thing I do know and that is, that people who are open to God have no problem with it at all and to those who are not, well its a perfect opportunity to witness. Most people who find it repugnant are really scared of letting the truth in, so react accordingly, its as If they want to see before believing, looking for something tangeable, if only they would believe and then they would, like me, "see"

Emanuel

Q1. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16a) In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God? In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God? Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume? If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?Genesis 8:20-21 Noah builds an alter and sacrifices,it is a pleasing smell to GOD...Aarons Priestly sons offer strange fire/incense in their censers and GOD slays them...1 can tithe but not out of LOVE for GOD and it isnt pleasing to GOD...Our sacrifices must come from obedience/LOVE for GOD or it isnt acceptable to GOD...JESUS ultimate sacrifice His Life was pleasing to GOD and necessary for our redemption & salvation...GOD BLESS

It is the SWEET smell or aroma that we smell when we are around other Christians that the Holy Spirit is there too. If we don’t smell that sweet aroma then we are to flee.

They don’t want to “smell” or hear the word of Christ…We must be BOLD and STAND our ground…We must preach the word of Jesus even though we get shoved aside by many non=believers…

No!! I tend to tell everyone I meet about the Gospel of Jesus…

Get in a Church, be with other Christians and you will begin to walk the talk...

We are the fragrance of Christ to God, so people who are open to God notice this fragrance and are attracted to it, as they are to God.

The fragrance is repugnant to people who are opposed to God because it exposes and convicts them of their self-willed pride and sinful nature.

Have I suppressed the "fragrance"? Yes to some degree, I have. I can regain it by deeper surrender, abiding, scripture study and meditation and sharing the gospel more.

Answer:

1. In what sense is knowing God fragrant to people who are open to God?

2 Cor 2:14-But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal processionin Christ and who makes known through us the fragrance that consists of the knowledge of him in every place

When we know God..we have a intimate relationship with Him..

When we received Jesus Christ and believe in His wonderful work in the Cross,God will send us His Spirit(Romans 8:14-15-14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God , they are the sons of God . For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear ; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption , whereby we cry , Abba , Father ).

When we have the Spirit of God in us,the people of God or those who are open to God,knows us..and they are magnitized not of our doing but the Holy Spirit in us..we become like a sweet smelling,and fragrant to them that they want to be with..it is all about

knowing God..and the eternal life that it brings.

KNOWING GOD,AND JESUS CHRIST WHOM HE SEND IS ETERNAL LIFE(John 17:3- And this is life eternal , that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ , whom thou hast sent.

2.In what way is this fragrance repugnant to people who are closed to God?

This is repugnant to people who are unbeliever for they cannot recognize the Spirit..They are in the FLESH and the SPIRIT and Flesh always repel each other.

Galatians 5:17-For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit , and the Spirit against the flesh : and these are contrary the one to the other : so that ye cannot do the things that ye would .

3. Have you suppressed your “fragrance” because some people are allergic to Christian perfume?

I haven't suppress it to the extent that I DENY BEING A CHRISTIAN.

4.If so, how can you regain the fragrance of Christ’s gospel?

The Gospel,the fragrance of the Gospel cannot be regain..for I beleive it cant be lost.