JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. A Focus on Eternal Things

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? What can we do to help shift our focus?

• 2 months later...

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward "an eternal weight of glory" ? As they say in the gym "no pain-no gain."

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? Immediate gratification, self preservation, and just plain human. What separates man from beast is the reasoning. I doubt a dog thinks about heaven when another dog in heat comes along. Neither does he think about whether the meal he is about to have going to impact others. It is what makes us human and humans read, hear, learn, and decide. We know we will pay now or later; we can anticipate "later" being eternity.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? For the same reason we save instead of going on spending sprees. The future means something. Eternity is a permanent future.

What can we do to help shift our focus? Stay in the Word...

All the time we suffer as we grow older, as do our bodies, we are being renewed daily in our inner man. We are coming up on the time when we will be going home to be with Him forever. Compared to eternity, this time of suffering is a moment in time. Sometimes our pain is all-consuming. If we have the eternal focus we are renewed in knowing that eternity with Him is just around the corner! We must focus on the eternal!!

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18)

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward "an eternal weight of glory" ?

Problems and physical deterioration help us toward "eternal weight of glory" by strengthening our faith in God, thus growing spiritually.

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things?

It is so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things because of our human weakness of caring about the body forgeting about eternal life to come.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth?

Focus on eternal things is so imprtant to our spiritual growth because by focus on eternal things we grow inwardly and do not become carried away or diverted by the physical sufferings.

What can we do to help shift our focus?

To help shift our focus we need to real believe in Christ and live our lives with a clear understanding and expectation of eternal glory..

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”?

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things?

We realise that our present problems and physical deterioration are of such insignificance when compared to the time we will spend in eternity.

Because of our loss of faith we may find it easier to focus on temporal things and forget eternal things. It is only when we focus on eternity that we get a true perspective of what is important and can then grow spiritually. To get this true perspective we need to study the Word; getting to know the absolute truth. We have to fix our eyes upon the unseen; the glory of Christ and the rewards that awaits us as His true and faithful servant.

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”?

We will be prepared for the kingdom

Because we are unequally yoked, every where we are, at work , home we are with unbelievers, we dont spend time with God. we speak their language

That's the will of God and for us to be prepared for the kingdom of His Son

My prayer wright now is to see my sinful nature died on that cross of calvary. Paul he was dead to sin as long as we still struggling with sin there is no way we can focus

May the Lord use us the way he use Paul.

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? What can we do to help shift our focus?

Problems and physical deteriorations help us go towards an eternal weight of glory because we come to discern that what we "see" really has little to do with what is in the Spirit. Our focus changes to things of the Spirit because we learn things of the world are temporary. Things of the Spirit are eternal. We look past the temporary and cry out for the eternal. We learn to not invest in what is only here for a day, or for what is perishing but for what is eternally going to last. Things of the Earth including our own mortal bodies pass away, but things of the Spirit never will! Our troubles will be light here if we think of them as leading us to greater glory. Our mortal bodies are just flesh that won't last. Our new eternal bodies are what we prepare for! We can stay in a place where we can only see an inch in front of us, or we can look at the bigger picture and see the goal and the prize! Just like running a race....we can focus on the heat, the screaming muscles, the tiredness and the overall difficulties in it and quit, or we can focus on finishing the race and discipline ourselves and remind ourselves we have trained for these moments and can push through!

Helping to stay focused to me comes in abiding. If I did not have daily communion with God, if I did not have His Word daily for a light to my path, if I did not submit in prayer my concerns and petition for help, if I did not draw from His promises, if I did not grow in trust and faith and walk out in obedience, then I could easily dwell on things in this world. But I want to be Spiritually minded so my focus needs to remain on things of the Spirit. The world is in our face and screams for attention and tempts with what we see. We though do not walk by sight. We walk by faith. And abiding in Him, keeps our spiritual eyes on Him.

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? By preparing us growing us for the eternal life ahead.

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? the Temporal matters are always in our face day in an day out and when we let our guard down it is easy to focus on them. That makes time with God that more important!

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? Our focus on the Eternal helps us to grow in the image of God and shows forth to others

What can we do to help shift our focus? Time with God in prayer, reading of his word and time spent with church community.

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”?

Physical problems remind us that the "house" we roam the earth in is temporary, and is wearing out and will one day be either left behind at the Rapture or will be buried when we "move home". Problems of other kinds remind us that we are just passing through!

We live in the temporal world which looks, smells, feels,and seems like the only reality. It takes time and training by the Holy Spirit and understanding of God's Word to come to the knowledge of the truth that eternity is where our true home is and where our focus needs to be!

If our focus is on eternal things, we will be laying up treasure in Heaven and our lives will be invested in the Kingdom of God and His purposes, rather than on the temporal which is passing away.

For me it requires submitting my mind and heart to the Lord....surrendering my agenda and desires to His and when they conflict, reminding myself that I'm a pilgrim passing through, and that my real home is in Heaven.

Very easily put, the things in this world are not good and I do not want to live eternally here. Heaven is a much nicer place with good things to enjoy.

Temporal things, we can see - feel - smell - but the eternal things are the things we do like - love - kindness - goodness - helping others. The things of this world will come to an end. The eternal things will last forever. And they, the eternal things, will reward us, here and there.

The flesh stays here. it goes back to the dirt it originally was. But the things not seen will be of the spirit and will strengthen our spirit with eternal thoughts of glory in Christ Jesus.

Our focus today seems to be on, "how much of a successful person am I" - "hom much wealth have gotten for retirement" - which will in time mean nothing to us. Who will live in my mansion when I die? Who will run my business, my way, when I die? We need to clear our eye sight to focus on Jesus and the things of the spirit, to "pass over" the problems of this world and be ready for eternity.

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? They teach us that God is mighty, God can watch over us no matter what our earthly bodies are like. We must keep our eyes and hearts inward toward our savior

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? No great faith is required. We can see and feel and deal with temporal matters. but we must have a great faith to recognize God dealing in our lives and see Him in all our daily activities.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? We can easily get bogged down in our earthly lives if we don't focus on God and His plan for our salvation. We won't be on this earth long, but will dwell with God forever and ever.

What can we do to help shift our focus? Pray, study the Bible, keep active in church and with other Christians. Don;t ever forget the early Christians examples for us. They were frightened, scared, ashamed and doubtful, but their faith was so great they could stand up to persecution. God loved them then, and He loves us now.

Our faith grows and we mature in Christ through our problems. If I never had any I would be a shallow wingding. So I thank my God for my struggles, afflictions and that when I get home I will have something to show for my fleeting moments on this earth to those who have gone before who have suffered much for their Lord.

Temporal things are kind of in your face matters that are ever distracting us from our true Help. I forget to go to Him sometimes and think it is up to me. How silly! I can't solve most things however I know the One who can.

Ohh when we focus on Him we are more like Him. How sweet it is!

To shift our focus pick up our Bible, be constant in prayer and listen to the still small voice of the Spirit within us.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

1.IT IS EASY TO QUIT WHEN WE ARE BURDEN DOWN. WE SHOULD NEVER GIVE UP . WE SHOULD DRAW INNER STRENGHT FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT. WE SHOULD RENEW OUR COMMITMENT TO CHRIST OUR SAVIOR BY HIS WORD AND PRAYER.

2.THERE IS A PURPOSE IN OUR SUFFERING , THEY REMINDS US OF CHRISIT SUFFERING FOR US. IT REMINDS US FROM BECOMING PRIDEFUL AND TO LOOK BEYOUND THIS BRIEF TIME ON THIS EARTH.

3. BY KNOWING THERE IS ETERNAL LIFE AFTER THIS ONE WHERE THERE IS NO SUFFERING OR PAIN OR TRIALS.

As we grow older physical deterioration happens and we realize that life will end someday and the reality of eternity hits us. So much of life happens without too much deterioration (people are in good health and young feeling, having families, working, etc) and death seems so far away that eternal things aren't important to them. It's easy to push eternity aside and focus on temporal matters. But, we must focus on eternal things so that we can grow spiritually. We must strive to love God with all our hearts and to love others as Christ loved. The only way to do this is to purposely read our Bible daily, pray constantly as best as we can, connect with other Christians, and be a blessing and not a burden to the unsaved.

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? What can we do to help shift our focus?Because it is during these times that we come to understand how fragile the flesh is & how it fails us...Most temporal things are tangible that are happening in the here & now,where as the eternal things are Spiritual/ intangible and must be Believed by Faith...When we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior our perspective of looking at how we live in this world must shift from physical/flesh point of view to a Spiritual one because our being will change from a mortal/flesh to an Immortal/Spiritual...Keep our eyes on JESUS who is the Author & Finisher...GOD BLESS

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward "an eternal weight of glory"?

We must be renewed on a daily basis, for when physical deterioration and problems do come our way, we will not lose courage, we will be strong, to us our courage of faith, is an everlasting glory whose weight is beyond description, that of staying in faith and walking in the Spirit, giving glory to God.

Because we are creatures of the flesh, human beings, it is easy for us to focus on temporal matters, this is why we must be renewed by the Spirit on a daily basis, just as the Spirit inspired and strengthened Jesus as He looked forward to an eternal weight of glory for mankind.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth and what can we do to help shift our focus?

The glorious future of eternity is dependent on our spiritual growth, that is, if we are true vessels filled with power, growth is seen in those vessels that have their focus on the eternal things of God and His righteousness.

For us to keep our focus on eternal things we must be renewed on a daily basis, walking in faith and that of obedience, if our focus is not on eternal things of righteousness, we will see some cracks appearing in our vessels, calling for renewal before it is too late; Just as Noah was warned by God of things to come, not yet seen Noah was moved with fear, in obedience he prepared an ark to save his house; by which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. :mellow:

Q5. (2 Corinthians 4:15-18) In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward "an eternal weight of glory" ?

We benefit from it. When we know we are doing something right, but suffering from it because of our doing what GOD wants, but we are being punished for it or hurt because of it, it is counted with our Heavenly Father.

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things? Temporal things are those things we see in our everyday life. For instance, we are always concern about our health. What we will have for dinner and where we should stay or spent the evening. We are only human beings and these are distractions or somethings that we think we cannot live without.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? Temporal things won't bring us salvation. It is those eternity things like our salvation and faith in God that will help us gain eternity live. Like in Luke that Jesus told his desciples, that without Christ, they will not be able to go to heaven.

What can we do to help shift our focus? Pray for forgiveness. Forgive your neighbor (anyone who did bad things to you; anyone who has wronged you). Be babtized to show that you are deeply and honestly sorry for all the bad things you have done. And don't repeat those sins that you have done before. Go and read the Bible and abide by the Ten Commandments. Make Jesus your first priority in your life and and make Christ as your personal Savior.

As we get older and our bodies get weaker, or we suffer in some way, we can look forward to our heavenly home, where all suffering will end.

It's easier to focus on temporal things because they invade our senses all the time; it takes constant effort to keep focused on eternal things, those things that are unseen. A focus on eternal things helps us to walk by faith, gives us hope and keeps us stable. We need to train ourselves by Bible study and meditation, constant prayer and doing the Lord's will.

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”?

I think they help to keep our focus on God.

It is easy because temporal matters are present now. They are wants and desires which are present now and can be satisfied now. Eternal things seem so far away that sometimes we think we cannot wait so we consume ourselves with a series of temporary things.

it keeps us grounded and helps to curb the urge to satisfy every desire that comes our way.

The simple answer is to focus on God. However it has been my experience that I need a more detailed solution. What I had to do was create a list of the things that tend to distract me and find the corresponding Bible verse which speaks about the particular issue and repeat the verse or verses to myself when the distraction presented itself.

The earth as we know it is the place we are most familiar with, although we know that it is appointed for man once to die and although many in Christ say that they are ready to die no one wants to die. As we go through body aches and physical deteriorations it reminds us that we are not going to be on earth forever.

In relation to this chapter however the outward man, our bodies become stressed, fatigue, worn down and or weighty, this part of us is the part as well that can physically be seen, heard, and felt. The outward man through the decaying process is slowly consumed by continual trials and afflictions. Whereas the inward man as we grow in Christ being renewed day by day, being strengthened. The inward man as they grow in Christ experience the process of being renewed as the outward man contends with the process of decay. Through the process of the outward man decaying the inward man is being renewed and blessed by God basking in His grace moving towards “an eternal weight of glory.”

They are right before us, they are at times easily accessible, often we can use one or more of our five senses as they would relate. Because we are in the world, because this body we are in is temporal.

Focus on eternal things is so important to our spiritual growth, by focusing on eternal things we grow inwardly and do not become carried away or diverted by the physical sufferings. As we set our affections on things above, we will be laying up treasure in Heaven, aligning with the Lords Will rather than on the temporal which is passing away.

Commune with the Lord, communicate with the Lord adhere to the Holy Spirit's guidance, assemble with like Believers. Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Dealing with problems and physical deterioration helps us toward the promised eternal weight of glory because these things confirm and demonstrate that earthly life is imperfect, degenerative, and never meant to last. Sin caused the destruction of Eden’s ideal environment on earth and led to the death that separates us from God and His blessings, but it can never overcome the construction of New Jerusalem where believers will live forever in the presence of God with complete realization of the full spiritual inheritance promised through Christ. As we experience the difficulties and decay of the fleeting “mirage” of human life on earth, we more easily/willingly/longingly look beyond them to the certain reality of the eternal.

Temporal matters are what we can touch, see, and hear. They indulge us, press in, make demands, create havoc, beat us up, and scream for our constant attention. But that is what the outer man innately understands and relates to. Spiritual transformation and renewal of the mind through God’s Word is required to resist conforming to that natural pressure. Diligent submission to the Spirit is required to shift one’s focus to the quiet and gentle call of the eternal that refuses to force our attention. Divine perspective that the yet unseen glory of heaven is best is required in order to reject the mortal outlook that the transient things of earth are of primary importance. We can’t invest our efforts in things designed to waste away if we expect to fully gain those things of the spiritual realm that are eternal reality. Spiritual growth in the character of Christ will be hindered and crippled by such a focus. The outer man must die off in order for the inner man to mature and strengthen. God uses problems and physical deterioration to accomplish that process.

In what way do problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory”? No matter what becomes of our bodies down here as we work for Our Redeemer Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, will be worth it all when we step into heaven, that always excites me, the streets are transparent gold, their is nothing as that and we will walk on it. We are building our rewards in heaven with all we do for the work of the church on earth, Jesus told us to lay your treasures in heaven where rust, moth, decay, nothing messes with it in heaven.

Why is it so easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things?The daily fast paced life, that people live now,bis never given much thought, when I heard people telling a microwave oven, to hurry up, I new we where getting in trouble. We live in instant generation, and just as John wrote about the end times they are opening, right before our eyes. People are running to and fro, they have lost all respect for themselves, and are believing a lie that will carry them straight to hell.

Why is a focus on eternal things so important to our spiritual growth? This is were it is all revealed, you willed be rewarded for your service on earth, as you did for your spiritual growth, in heaven, with the rewards given out as the work was done on earth.

What can we do to help shift our focus? The best way to keep focused right now, is to read the book of Revelation every week, that book does not need hardly anything talked about, that is come to pass. We are about to go home, Thank God, people are always looking for something, and I think while I was praying the other day the Lord spoke to my Spirit and said. (The human body (creature) will never be satisfied until it goes back to its (creator).

God Bless;

Brother Mike McCue

I think that the way problems and physical deterioration help us toward “an eternal weight of glory” is that I have started to focus more on the Word of God. I seem to understand more and more what God via the bible is trying to tell me.

The way that it is easy to focus on temporal matters to the exclusion of eternal things is because that is what brothering us right now is. Our brain is telling us to fix these things right now. But the reason that it is important to focus on eternal things is because it does bring spiritual growth. Studying the bible and reading commentators help us understand the bible and brings us to a better standing of God.

• 2 weeks later...

God is always interested what is on our heart, as it is the part of us that we will take into eternity. Somehow it is how we respond to troubles that our faith matures, and this pleases God. Without faith it is impossible to please him, as Hebrews reminds us (Hebrews 11:6), and God does reward those who earnestly seek him. However, being human, we tend to opt for temporal things first. We seek solutions that we can control, rather than going to the Lord and seeking His counsel. We need to develop an eternal perspective. This life is very temporary, and will pass away.

Focusing on eternal things helps us to develop a God perspective in contarts to a limited human one. This pleases God, grows his mind and heart in us, and also prepares us for heaven where our real life, our forever life is.

The more we delight in his Word, and the more we seek his presence, the more we will develop this eternal focus. When we deeply appreciate that he came to earth to die for us that we might live forever, we will want to learn his mind and heart, amd live it day by day.