JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Giving from Extreme Poverty

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures?

The answer to this question will vary from individual to individual; from circumstance to circumstance (some are just plain selfish and don't want to). This applies to giving tangible or intangibly, it will vary from person to person.

Circumstances - The person view may have a greater focus on their impending circumstances. Bill - Some regarding their bill(s) may be past do, being so it may determine if they will have the basic necessities or the threat of the necessity being taken away. Pressure - It is difficult to give when pressured either because the person don't know the cause or believe in the cause, or they have because of distrust do to past appalling behaviors. The previous church I attended it was not uncommon to be approached by a panhandler. Many would not give because they didn't know it the money would be used properly, they didn't trust the panhandler.

What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow?

That there are some who will give even though they are struggling financially. That there are some that give according to as they have. That their giving is an example we can follow. I would love to say the following statement are true, but more so they are truths:

The poor give more because:

1. They have a better sense of where their help comes from. If his eye is on the sparrow surely he watches over me.

2. They know what it feels like to need help. Matthew 5:7 You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘careful,’ you find yourselves cared for.

3. They know there is a greater reward coming. Blessed are the Poor for yours is the kingdom of God. Luke 6:20

4. The more you have the harder it is to let it go. It’s hard for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God. Mark 10:25

5. They know God’s going to give it back. Luke 6:38

One of the most touching things I read regarding the poor giving in today's time: "One of the most moving experiences as pastor was when I had more people who needed groceries than we had grocery cards for. The members responded by giving more money right there on the spot to help people get food to eat. The members responded by giving more money to help out. With half the people in the church not working they still gave more!"

How will this lesson affect your own giving?

The lesson really will not have an effect on my giving. I give as I am able to, I give as the Spirit leads me to, I give regularly, I give to the panhandler not fearing or mandating how they will spend as I discern when to give (however often I will offer sustenance more so than money), I give as I am giving to the Lord. Perhaps because of flesh I have a problem giving when I discern compulsion, coercion or obvious manipulation are affront.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5)

Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures?

Giving should never be done reluctantly or under duress. I know this is a cliché and when we experience hardships and the pressures of debt it is most difficult to comply. Also, we live in a world that is more concerned with acquiring than giving. In Acts 20:35, Jesus told us, “It is more blessed to give than to receive”; we, however, often fail to experience this truth personally. I know that when we give with a cheerful heart we receive God’s blessings; but I also know that this should not be our motivation. Our gifts should rather be a thanksgiving to God. I can learn from both the Macedonians and the poor widow. I’m ashamed to say my giving has not always been adequate, I’ve sometimes held back, yet my Heavenly Father has blessed me abundantly.

Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? Unstable in our own situation, it is difficult to imagine becoming more unstable by releasing what we are holding in our position of "lack."

What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? When our heart is right, we recognize that as little as we have, there are others who have less. Giving to them actually encourages us when we realize that we are first giving to God through man.

How will this lesson affect your own giving? It reminds me that the giving I give is motivated in the right direction and I should continue to give. I am reminded of the song; "We can't beat God giving, no matter how we try."

Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures?

We tend to look at our condition from the fleshly side of our character, forgetting most of the time who has every thing under complete control, if we allow Him to have it. This is a point in our life that could be a testing point to see what our choice will be.

Jesus knows every ones heart, and also the reason you give, if it is a sacrifice then it is of the greats value. When you give because you have plenty, most of the time it is to be for self to be exalted and not from the true heart of giving.

It will keep your mind thinking, what am I giving for and what is my motive for giving.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? How will this lesson affect your own giving?

Our circumstances are ever so present with us and the outside pressures. I think we have a responsibility to pay what we owe. Otherwise how would God look. Sometimes we can't help getting behind with medical or special needs. However if we have anything left do we keep for ourselves or give generously to those unfortunates who are suffering needs that we could help with. I think we are happier when we give to others as we are able. The joy of having some money is being able to help others. In a way it shows what we love or who we love. I have never had a lot of money so I don't know how I would handle it however I would hope I would be joyfully generous. And I believe that I feel that way with little also. When I have gotten a selfish streak in me I am a most miserable soul so I don't enjoy it anyway.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? At times our faith that God will provide our needs isn't as strong as it is at other times. When the bills pile up, and sickness is taking a toll, we let our human side take over from our faith side. I know God is disappointed in me when this happens, but He loves me enough to provide for me anyway, just as He promised.

What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? Sometimes, when times are hard, it is really tempting to let the tithe slip by, but then I make myself remember that 10% isn't mine, has never been mine, and I have no claim to it. As I remember all that God does for me, I find it easier to give to others from what I have

How will this lesson affect your own giving? Makes me more aware of the many blessings that have been poured out on me. A job, when I needed it, a home, when God wanted me here, and the unceasing LOVE of GOD.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures?

Trials can  cause us to become self absorbed, preoccupied, weighed down and wanting to receive rather than to give to others.

The Macedonians, as well as the poor widow gave sacrificially...actually, the widow gave all she had. They gave according to their ability and beyond their ability (V3). They were moved by the love of God in their hearts for the needs of the saints who were suffering in Jerusalem, even thought they too were stressed.

I had an experience like this years ago, which changed my life and my giving! We were destitute, and I had $3.00, which I was holding onto tightly because I didn't know when I'd have another dollar. As I grasped it, the flow from God stopped. One day I met a pastor's wife who's husband had abandoned her and their church for another woman. She didn't even have a dollar. I gladly and with joy gave her the $3.00, forgetting about myself. The very next day, the Lord brought money to me! I had stopped his provision by not trusting Him "to meet all of my needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Later I read about the widow who had given all she had, and I marvelled that I could understand the joy she must have felt in abandoning herself totally to His care! There is a great freedom that comes with relinquishing that which we hold dear, into His hands. I don't believe the poor widow was sad and downcast as she dropped her coin into the offering. I think she was light hearted and had a twinkle in her eye, as I had when I gave all I had.....I think she knew, and I've since learned that we can't out give God!

It is so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures because of lack of generosity. Under these circumstances we only think of ourselves. The Macedonians were poor, but out of their generosity, they gave for other poor saints even beyond their ability.

From the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow we learn that, out of our generosity and our love for God, our poverty cannot be a barrier to help others by sharing what we have.

This lesson will afffect my owning giving by knowing more the need to be generous and giving according to how much I earn.

It is difficult because sometimes we only see the small picture. We see the pressure that we are under and we figure that it makes more sense to hoard and keep it all for ourselves than it does to give. Sometimes it does make more logical sense but being a Christian is not about making sense of every detail, it is about faith so even though it is difficult, we must still give. Consider it an investment in the Kingdom and know that God will take of you.

We learn that the greatest gift is the gift our ourselves. After that all other gifts will flow naturally. When we give ourselves to God then we would not withhold anything else from Him. We can also learn to give in faith.

It will help me to ensure that my life is given over to God. It will also help me to give to others as I see the need arising in their life.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? How will this lesson affect your own giving?

It is difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures because we start to walk by sight and set our faith aside. We think we have to take care of ourselves and that we can't trust God to make a way for us. We can learn from the Macedonians and the poor widow because they gave ALL they had and even beyond what they had to give! They didn't give "surplus" or what they could afford. It was by faith they gave. They knew they could give cheerfully of everything. That God could and would provide for their own means.

He IS faithful in this!

I think it is because of the lack of trust in God. May God help us to trust Him in everything.

1Chronicles 29 v 14.Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. Everything comes from God we have to give back. He is faithful

May God help to learn to give to share i am still struggling with this issue

Q1. (2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? How will this lesson affect your own giving?Because of the constant battle between Spirit & flesh,if one is grounded in Spirit then you understand that GOD will make a way just have FAITH...flesh gives you the chicken little fear that the sky is falling...TRUE FAITH that when you have only twos & fews still give because GOD is in CHARGE...Keeps me grounded...GOD BLESS

During these trials our faith is weakened. We hold on tightly to any $'s we have, fearing we'll not have enough to pay everything.

We can learn to give freely, especially when in dire circumstances, and see how God will bless you. The poor widow was certainly blessed--she in immortalized in scripture!!

It is so difficult because we live so much in the natural realm and are affected so much by our circumstances. The Macedonians and the poor widow gave freely by faith and joyfully, they knew God was in it and he blessed the gift and the givers. I try to keep open to God in giving, occasionally I give large amounts when I feel led to do so. I want to be a channel of finance and blessing to whomever God chooses.

GIVING IS NOT SO MUCH WHAT WE GIVE BUT HOW WE GIVE. JESUS WANTS US TO GIVE WITH A LOVING HEART NOT GRUDGINGLY. IF WE GIVE AND HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS GOD WILL PROVIDE. IT IS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO DO BUT WE ARE GIVING TO A SAVIOR THAT GAVE ALL HE HAD FOR US. I COMMITED TO A CERTAIN AMOUNT AND TRIED TO STAY WITH THAT AMOUNT.

GIVING IS NOT SO MUCH WHAT WE GIVE BUT HOW WE GIVE. JESUS WANTS US TO GIVE WITH A LOVING HEART NOT GRUDGINGLY. IF WE GIVE AND HAVE MONEY PROBLEMS GOD WILL PROVIDE. IT IS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO DO BUT WE ARE GIVING TO A SAVIOR THAT GAVE ALL HE HAD FOR US. I COMMITED TO A CERTAIN AMOUNT AND TRIED TO STAY WITH THAT AMOUNT.

It can be very difficult to give if we have been living beyond our means, we have become - a must have it now generation!

God stresses the importance we pay our bills and take care of our families, the stresses on families today are many, as it is on the church, many churches have also lived beyond their means, however, what I hear Paul saying is, how important it is that we have ears to hear the calling of God to the needs of others, for there are many, and because we cannot give to every cause, we must listen to the Spirits call and give wisely, according to God's grace.

I see it not so much that they gave, but that they gave according to the call of God. :unsure:

God created us and give us the responsibilities of tending his blessing and sharing among our fellow brothers and sisters. So everything we have is His. There is nothing on earth that we own. We must give him everything and ask that he blesses us with what we give Him. And we must give Him with humility and honesty. When we give all that we have to God happily, He is also happy.when we give with our open hearts and happiness and we give all we have. When we give all we have, he blessed it and give back to us according to our needs. I remember couple of months ago, the church I attended had an occasion where we need to bring food and give to those who came to visit. We had our last meet that I told my wife to fix and get somethings to add. And our last $10.00. So made a basin of food and took it to the church. At first, my wife complains that how we would be meat and other needs till Wednesday which is several days. I told her that we need to pray and let God take care of things.

We came back home and did not have anything in the house regarding food. That evening, two of my aunties called and ask us to come their homes. One auntie has a sack of 20 lbs rice that she gave us and the other auntie has meat to share. So we got our food share that lasted us till Friday of that week. We praise our LORD for this. And this build our faith stronger.

Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? How will this lesson affect your own giving?

We are more concerned about our own circumstances. Especially, in the day and age we are in now. Loss of jobs, homes etc causes us to hold on to what little we have. Our faith is faltering and we forget who the true provider is. The Macedondians and the poor widow were in proverty, but they did not concentrate on their circumstances. That is what we must do. God said he will supply our needs. We must not allow ourselves to forget that. I am a giver and this lesson just lets me know I am doing what I should be doing and to continue.

It is is difficult to give particular in difficult situations because we are afraid that if we give, we will have nothing left. It is beacuse of our selfish nature and also the lack of faith in the God who said he is our Shephard and that we shall not want.

The Macedonian church is teaching us that we ought to give to help others who are in need even when we seem to feel a general hardship in the economy. Faith teaches that the God that provided for us will still provide. Secondly and most importantly, we should give in proportion to our income or ability.

This lesson should make me review my giving policy so that I will give propotional to my ability.

So help me Lord God.

I think that it is so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances, bills and pressures because we don’t fully trust God. We think that we can trust him when things are going well but it us up to us to get us out of the circumstance we are in at the time.

The things that we can learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow is that we can trust God at all times. He does care for us.

It's difficult to give under stressful circumstances and pressures because we only focus on what we see not on what we cannot see. We don't naturally lean on God, we tend to naturally lean on ourselves for answers. What we learn from the Macedonians and the poor widow is that when we give generously and obediently to God, He gives back to us much more than we give to Him. But we have to take the first step in obedience.

(2 Corinthians 8:1-5) Why is it so difficult to give when we are stressed by circumstances and bills and pressures? What can we learn from the example of the Macedonians and the poor widow? How will this lesson affect your own giving?

Because we have doubt on God's provision and fear of suffering

They dared to take the challenge to trust God and grasped the opportunity to do righteous deed.