JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Grace and Giving

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19) What does grace have to do with giving?

There are many reasons why people give nonetheless narrowing it down to a possible six reasons I'd say some give for earthly praise, others because that feel obligated, some because it commanded, some because it's rewarding or for a reward, and others because it is spiritual discipline, some because of compassion.

Grace could mean the ability to do so, or it mean with kindness. Giving from kindness being the motivation provides great wealth for both the giver and the receiver. This kind of giving is reflective of the Lord.

What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace?

A chore, a duty, a necessary evil, a tax, an exaction.

What does it look like when grace prompts your giving?

This kind of giving is reflective of the Lord.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19)

What does grace have to do with giving?

The greatest example of selfless giving is seen in our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. He gave up the riches in heaven when He came to earth as a man. On top of this He died on the cross so that we might share His riches in heaven. That is grace! A free gift – which I don’t deserve! When I think about His saving grace it definitely motivates me to Christian giving - in gratitude to what He has done for me. In contrast we see the Macedonians gave when they were poor, but Christ gave when He was immensely rich. So we can see from these examples that giving is a grace that both the rich and the poor should carry out. Giving without grace becomes an unpleasant task with no love or care involved at all. It is only an unpleasant burden.

What does grace have to do with giving? Everything. When feeling grateful in Spirit, it is considered a privilege to help those in need of help. It is prompted from the heart.

What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? A chore.

What does it look like when grace prompts your giving? A privilege

Q2. (2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19) What does grace have to do with giving? What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? What does it look like when grace prompts your giving?

1. It was necessary to the completeness and harmony of their Christian character.

2. It would be a proof of their sincerity.

3. Christ had become poor for their sake.

4. It would redound to their own advantage, inasmuch as consistency required that having manifested the disposition, they should carry it out in action.

5. What was required of them was perfectly reasonable. They were asked to give only according to their means; and what they were called on to do for others, others under similar circumstances would be required to do for them.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19) What does grace have to do with giving? What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? What does it look like when grace prompts your giving?

I need God's grace for everything in the Christian walk. It is by His grace we are saved and by His grace we are kept. Why would it be any different with giving (we can be so stingy and selfish, at least I have seen it in myself), or loving when we are not loved, or bing gracious when unappreciated. We need God's grace!

What does giving look like when not accompanied by grace? Ugly at best.

What does it look like when prompted by God's grace? Joyful and loving!

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Grace has to do with giving in that, it is seen as a sign of care someone else; it is a work of charity.

When giving is not acompanied by grace it looks like something not good to do but just because of necessity or forced to do.

When grace prompts my giving, it looks like a service to those in need and also a blessing to me for giving.

Grace-giving is borne of love for the Lord and others, and gratitude for all that He has given and done for us! It's given in the sheer joy of blessing Him and others.

This kind of giving may be done with resentment, (I HAVE to because the Word says to tithe or give offerings and to be generous...I don't want to get into trouble for NOT giving, so the motive is fear or guilt based)...when grace isn't involved in our decision, it's carefully measured out to the penny, and given with expectation of what I'll get out of it! This kind of giving is also done in pride...LOOK WHAT I GAVE and we make sure others know that we gave. It's sheer obligation and I believe dishonors and saddens our Lord who has freely given all He has to us!

It looks like the widow's mite and the Macedonians gifts..with boundless joy and eagerness without "show" or expectation to "get back" what is given. It becomes a love offering, rather than a duty or burden to be carried which weighs one down.

What does grace have to do with giving? Grace is the ability to give with a glad heart, knowing you are in Gods will and helping someone as He would

What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? It loses the glad heart. Becomes a resented duty, just something to be done and done quickly to get through with it

What does it look like when grace prompts your giving? The glad heart makes you happy, content. You are confident that God will watch out for your needs as you are doing for one of His children.

I'm brought to mind of "freely you have been given, so freely give." Grace gives of everything and whether anyone deserves it or not, it is given freely and generously and joyously. When giving is not accompanied by grace then it is given legally. It's the "right" thing to do, but usually comes along with giving grudgingly or with complaining or even with the attitude of being "owed" something back. Sometimes too, it is even denied or diminished because "they don't deserve it."

When grace gives, we know we have received what we don't deserve ourselves and the love we receive from that is contagious to give to others. It's exciting and a delight to give and it's from the overflow of love we ourselves received! It's joyous and .....well.....it's L-O-V-E! Love is the motivator and love is the giver and love is the gift!

Q2. (2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19) What does grace have to do with giving? What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? What does it look like when grace prompts your giving?Because JESUS is LOVE,grace only comes from GOD,SOOO it takes JESUS LOVE that prompts us to give...Vain glorious !!!Natural stinginess of the flesh is over come through the LOVE of CHRIST...GOD BLESS

It has everything to do with giving. God has gifted us with spiritual gifts, physical gifts--$'s, food, etc. We should do the same.

Giving without grace is just as though we were paying a bill--grudgingly or to gain attention from others--see what I did.....

Giving would be done joyfully & willingly. After all, we'd be helping our brothers & sisters in Christ!!

(2 Corinthians 8:4, 7-9, 19) What does grace have to do with giving?

We would'nt give anything if it is not because of grace, our nature is opposed to God, it would not allows us to give with love

Show off, other people have to see that you give

We know that God will reward us

Grace is God's unmerited favour extended to us. When we understand this then giving becomes easier. We have done and can never do anything to deserve God's grace. As a result we owe Him everything. It is because of this that we can let go of our possessions and give back to Him and to others.

Without grace giving is a chore, an empty action which comes from the pocket but bypasses the heart.

A generous, genuine, selfless act. It is a joyous act even when it is sacrificial to the point of pain.

Grace is from God and when giving is inspired by God we will give give in love and concern for others with joy. Giving without grace can be done grudgingly and compulsively and will lack generosity.

God's grace was on the Macedonia church, even though they were having their struggles, they were able to give what they could, and some were able to give even more.

It looks like "pride"

It looks like "love and devotion “to the One who gave abundantly of His grace and mercy. :)

John 1:16 quotes, "From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another." Grace and giving starts from God because he gave us first. He giveth our lives with grace and blessed each and everyone of us.

A duty = when a person gives because it is required of him/her, that is not grace.

When Christ died for us on the cross, that is full giving. He gave his life because of our sins. And so we have to give back to Him.

What does grace have to do with giving? What does giving look like when it isn’t accompanied by grace? What does it look like when grace prompts your giving?

1) When we look at grace, it's God unmerited favor on us. Giving is a sign of favor and a nature response to love. We are giving back to others in response to what God has done for us.

2) When giving is not accompanied by grace it is seen as a chore, not giving out of love.

3) When giving is prompt by grace, we see it as a service, willingness and out of love.

Grace in this case is supplied by God to us to share our possessions with others. Naturally we wont want to do so because of our selfish and possessive tendency.

Without grace therefore, giving is hard and relactant.

god wants us to give with a giving and loving heart. it looks just the same as today as did in pauls time if you give grudingly the lord is not please. when we give with a loving heart it shows that we live a life that jesus christ is in

The thing that grace has to do with giving is that we understand where the money came from and it was from the grace of God. So when we give we are passing on that grace to others.

Giving looks like a chore or a grudging necessity in life that has to be done but when grace prompts my giving I can give generously.

Grace is the giving of a gift. Grace is a gift from God. IT is the exercise of love, kindness, mercy, favor, and service to another. So it is a giving of yourself to benefit another when grace prompts your giving. It is a chore or a necessary evil or a tax when giving is not accompanied by grace.

It helps giving without thinking of any return.

It is wraped with mercy and love.

It has willingness and cheerfulness .

What grace has to do with giving is, we give of our own free will, in a cheerful manner.

When giving isn't accompanied by grace,it becomes mandatory,done out of a sense of duty.

When grace prompts one's giving,the giving is done from the heart.