JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul? What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character? How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work? How does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20?

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul?

Paul give us the reason, "lest I should be exalted above measure." {NIV} To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character?

Its purpose I believe was to have Paul allow the Lord to use him with the Lords strength vise Paul's own. Paul's strength was made perfect in weakness, for his strength was in the Lord. Paul could have fostered a prideful attitude, he was not immune to pride. He could have exalted himself and by doing so influenced caused others to praise him.

How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work?

The book of Job gives us a great illustration, as does Jacob and Esau tell of events. Whether God allowed or ordained events, through His perfect or permissive Will things we experience that are not favorable, through them God can still receive glory.

Paul, in 1st Corinthians 5:5 states that excommunication is a way of delivering the unrepentant sinner “over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.” This means that excommunication can somehow involve God’s using Satan (or one of his demons) as a disciplinary tool to work in the sinner's life physically to bring about true repentance in his/her heart.

How does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20?

It relates as in something happening to us a child of God not so much our liking nevertheless the end result yet magnifies the Lord.

When we are going through something that is not to our liking often we see the that which is happening, and sometimes even a continued downward spiral. Regardless of the outcome God can get the glory as we remain in faith. Even through relentless adversities as a child of God clings in faith the fruit yield is precious in the eyes of God whereby He will get the glory. The good will occur if not in this life, it will in the life to come. God is able to even make those sufferings work together for our good and His good.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7)

Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul?

How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work?

The ‘thorn’ kept Paul pinned close to the Lord, both in trust and confidence. At the same time it kept him humble, preventing him getting an inflated opinion of his importance, and revealed to him the reality of his human mortality and weakness despite his extraordinary revelations. We can trust God. He uses people’s evil intentions, their sinful natures, and Satan’s destructive work to bring about His intended results. God is working all things together for good to those who love Him. All our suffering, heartbreak, tragedy, disappointments, frustrations, and bereavement that God permits to come into our lives is designed to conform us to the image of His Son. At the time we may wonder what good can come out of it. However, later we may see that our lives are not controlled by impersonal forces such as chance, luck, or fate, but by our wonderful, personal Lord, our Heavenly Father, who is “too loving to be unkind and too wise to err.” So we note that God uses all things to fulfill His purposes and even uses evil for His glory and for our good. Thus when evil comes into our lives to trouble us, we can have this assurance “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). This kind of conviction enabled Joseph to say to his brothers, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives” (Gen 50:20).

Paul said that it was given to him to keep him humble...not arrogant and conceited, because of all that he'd been shown and allowed to hear in a vision or out of body experience in Heaven.

A tormenting spirit produces perseverance, awareness of both physical and emotional weakness, which causes deep dependence upon the Lord, and compassion for others who suffer.

I was thrilled when I found the verse in Psalms which I believe answers so many questions of this sort! Psalm 119:91 says that "All (the whole universe) are Your servants; therefore they continue this day according to Your ordinances." amplified ("All things serve God!") That means that as much as Satan hates God, because God is Sovereign over all, Satan is used of God for His purposes. Satan means an attack to try to kill, steal or destroy for his evil purposes, but God will allow it if it can be used for our good....to move us forward to accomplish what God desires in our lives.

It is saying the same thing as my previous answer. And an old saint shared with me years ago that there is a comma between Romans 8:28 and 29....God works all things together for our good....v 29 THAT we be conformed or molded into the image of Christ. (There is a period in the amplified version, but the fact is still there that the purpose of Romans 8:28 is to accomplish Romans 8:29.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul? What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character? How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work? How does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20?

The 'thorn in the flesh ' of Paul was a kind of physical ailment that was allowed to torment him to devolope his character devoid of pride.

Whatever God allows to happen to His children work for their good according to Rom 8:28. It is however worth noting that all the eveil being experienced now and in the past was as the result of the fall at the garden of Eden. That fall was caused by the Devil's scheming. We won't be wrong therefore to conclude that sickness and any other thing that causes paind are due to Satan's destructive activities.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul? TO KEEP DOWN PRIDE AND BOASTING TOWARD HIMSELF.

What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character? INCREASE HUMILITY.

How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work? SATAN'S INTENT AND GOD'S IMPACT ARE DETERMINED BY GOD.

How does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20? EITHER WAY, GOD WINS!!

Answer:

1.Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul? What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character?

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure

--First I beg to disagree that Paul thorn in the Flesh is something like Physical ailment,or sickness...but is someone who opposes his revelation messages,which means The thorn in the Flesh Paul is referring to is a PERSON..

This person is so oppose with the Gospel,the goodness of God through Jesus Christ,that Paul concluded He is a messenger of satan to always appose Him.

This person must gone into Paul's nerve that He prayed to God,3 times to remove him,..But God just say,You can destroy him by my GRACE...MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT TO YOUR WEAKNESS..as if God is saying..."Paul as long as you exalt yourself among others because of the Knowledge and revelation that I have given you,this Thorn in the Flesh will continue to oppose you,but if you are willing to be humbled that without me,you are weak..THEN MY GRACE IS ENOUGH TO DESTROY THAT THORN IN YOUR FLESH.

Many times in the Old testament,The term Thorn in the flesh points to person or Group of people:

Judges 2:3-"Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you".

---Here Thorn in the Flesh refers to the Old inhabitants of the Promised Land....who later upon the death of Joshua enticed the Israelites to worship their god..

Judges 2:11-12-And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim: And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger.

Ezekiel 2:6-"And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou dost dwell among SCORPIONS: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house".

The briers, thorns and scorpions are all "symbolic" of the people of Satan which come against the Lord's Children to vex them. These are the adversaries of God's servants who come to revile, persecute and trouble them. And this symbolism holds true consistently in the New Testament scriptures as well as the Old. And why not, since it is all God's wholly divinely inspired consistent word. We can see this as Jesus talks about those who call themselves of God, yet are revealed by their fruits to be false messengers. In other words, by their fruits ye shall know them.(What Was The Thorn In The Flesh-By Tony Warren)

God wants Paul to be humbled and not be bosttful,yet firm on His revelation,on his ministry,to remain steadfast on the truth that God has given Him..other people may oppose the grace Preaching,the too good to be true News,of what Jesus has accomplished for mankind,but we should remain steadfast and not boast on our own deeds,or works,to obtained salvation,but we rather boast,THAT GOD'S GRACE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH,TO SAVE US IN OUR WEAKNESS.

2. How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work? How does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20?

GOD HAS ALL ALONG PLANNED,THE BIRTH OF MESSIAH,SINCE GENESIS(Gen 3:15- ..and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. )

Because of this,the devil has been trying to hate women(the bearer of the seed0,and has deceived Her offspring as shown how cain killed abel.

Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

According to Gen 50 and Romans 8...God is all knowing,and all His promises are going to Pass,no matter how bad our circumstances are,God can reverse it for Good to manifest His Goodness,Mercy,and Grace,and Love to mankind.

TO GOD AND JESUS CHRIST WHOM HE SENT BE ALL THE GLORY.

The devil does not know the future,..so when Herod knew from the Three Wise Men that the Messiah was born,

He ordered all the babies two years old and below to be Killed all throughout the land:

Matthew 2:16-When Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise me

The murder of abel...the murder of innocent Child is not from God,but from the devil,who does not know until then,the True identity of the Messiah...

The birth of Messiah,jesus Christ is from God...to whom the devil try to destroy or stop by killing those two years old and below babies,,,

Paul was a man who had some awesome experiences with God. To many he may have seen like a super apostle and to himself he must have felt pretty special. I believe that the thorn in Paul's flesh was given to keep him humble, to realise that he was only human: flesh, blood and full of weakness.

I believe that God wanted to keep Paul humble but also to increase his capacity to understand those who were struggling. It is easy when we have no afflictions to consider that those who do must be somehow inferior to us, or perhaps living in sin. I am reminded of Job and his friends all of whom were convinced that he had sinned against God because of his suffering. However, this is not always the case and sometimes we can only see that when we have our own struggles.

Satan has some power over the world today and at times he will tempt us or allow things to happen to frustrate us or discourage us. However, our God is all-powerful and so even satan's best attempts can be used by God to teach us patience, endurance, or to elevate us in His time. I think that sometimes this happens so that we may know it was indeed God who brought us through because we know that on our own in that particular situation we would be powerless.

This verse reminds that even a thorn in the flesh can be used to accomplish God's purpose for our life. When we acknowldge that all things work together for good for those that love the Lord then we can accept our thorns. Also, like Joseph we can acknowledge that sometimes the enemy has evil intentions in doing the things he does but God's intentions are always good and so what another may intend for evil, God will make it good. Hallelujah!

The thorn in the flesh kept him humble

God's purpose was to show that His strength works in our weaknesses.

God allowed Satan to give Paul this thorn. But God used it for His ultimate glory!

God allows problems in our lives to help us grow & conform to Jesus Christ. God turns evil into good for His purposes. See Joseph in Genesis 45:5-8!

The thorn was given to keep Paul humble because of the exceedingly great revelation(s) he had received. The character issue could have been many things. Kindness and patience in pain, relying on God more fully, the beautiful work that humility performs in our character, submitting more fully to God , a guiet, gentle spirit.

God can use anything for our good. It doesn't mean that the thing was good only that God can use it for good IF we submit to His will and guidance.

Satan is always trying to trip up God's children and God always can outwit our vindictive enemy. Our God has the ultimate power and knows all. What an awesome God we serve!

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

The thorn in the flesh was given to Paul, to keep him humble. He had been very blessed by God to see the visions he reported, but the glory of that wasn't in himself, it was the glory of God being revealed. It wasn't by anything Paul could have done. When things go good and God is blessing us, we tend to get prideful in it and think somehow it's what we have deserved or accomplished. It is good to stay focused and humbled, knowing who's doing the blessing and for who's glory.

Paul's character grew in perseverance, long suffering and in strengthening his faith. He came to know that even though there may be opposition by enemies, or failing health or anything that was making his ministry difficult, that his strength was insufficient to move through and past it. He had to become dependent on God. He had to see his own weakness, so he could turn to God who's power and grace would be enough in any situation. When I'm faced with similar challenges, I remember Jesus telling Pilate that he had no power given to him except what was given to him from above. Jesus was faced with the worst and yet, knew His father had allowed it. He submitted to His Father will in it, knowing the purpose was ultimately for good. Pilate thought the power was in his hands. Jesus knew it was in His Father's hands.

Satan always tries to destroy and God always restores. There is no evil that God cannot create some good out of. I'm often amazed how much God uses things intended for evil, but brings good out of them! We always grow in faith and closeness to God, we are strengthened, we are drawn closer together and are better with each other, truth is revealed, God's glory will always be in it somehow.

Romans 8:28 promises us, that all things will be worked out for the good of all those who love Him. That's a restful promise! When things seem out of control and we are feeling helpless in it, then we can look to this verse and know to be still, trust, remember His faithfulness and know somehow, He's doing a work in it! Plus....we can learn to take our eyes off the situation and ourselves, put our eyes back on God, knowing in His infinite wisdom....He can do more than WE could ever ask for or imagine! It's way more exciting to look outward to watch for what He's doing and knowing it will be 100% right for everyone who loves Him, than sit in misery, feeling sorry for ourselves! The question to ask is, can we be submitted to be willing to have a part in HIS will, even if it means suffering for awhile for everyone's spiritual growth or at least an opportunity to experience that, or maybe even losing our own pride in the situation?

In Genesis, Joseph went on quite a journey! Sold into slavery and by his brothers! Put in prison. Falsely accused. In it all he learned character and dependence on God. By the time he was blessed and raised into his position, he was humble and ready to be a part of what God wanted to do. Ultimately, Joseph could provide for a family of brothers who intended him harm. He had a vital (humble) part in what God was doing in providing for His people. None of that took part without Godly character, strength in faith and trustworthiness. All kinds of fruit was shown in Joseph in the end! Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. He was forgiving, compassionate and submitted to God. Even the brothers were changed and ultimately showed better character. God was doing a good work in all of it....for everyone. He does that for us too. God is more interested in our character than our comfort. He will use every evil or intended harm....for our own personal character and good if we allow Him to.

I believe that pastor is right Paul was given the thorn to keep him from becoming prideful. think himself better than he was and letting him realize that God was in control not Paul. It built humbleness into his character and make his more a servant of the Lord. Satan always attacks God's people even Christ but God in His wisdom use that for our good making us more in the image of His Son in love and compassion for others,

Romans 8:28

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Genesis 50:20

20But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

These verses show that God has total control and not only use good thing in our lives but also the bad to grow us in the love and strength of His Son

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this "thorn in the flesh" given to Paul?

This "thorn in the flesh" was given to Paul to test his character.

What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul's character?

Through this God wanted to see how Paul will turn the thorn in his flesh to good use; to carry out his mission with commitment.

How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan's destructive work?

God can use something caused by Satan's destructive work to test our commitments.

The relation is in that, something is given by God and then something evil being given but it is used for good cause.

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this "thorn in the flesh" given to Paul, and what purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul's character?

To have such an experience could allow a person to boast in "ONESELF", therefore, allowing others to boast in you, that of "PRIDE", OR, it could allow one's faith in the "ONE" encounter with, to grow stronger yet!

I believe God allowed Satan to buffet Paul, because the blinders were taken off his eyes when he had this vision, this experience changed Paul's character from that of religious "PRIDE" to that of being truly "HUMBLE" in knowing, he was nothing without Him.

I believe this thorn was given to Paul so that others would not boast in Paul, so that others would not exalt him above measure, so that others would keep their eyes on the "One" strength comes from, strength so that we too would be able to stand strong when buffeted by Satan.

Paul set a perfect example , it is in our weakness, that we can stand strong, strong in Him, Paul was buffeted, beaten three times with rods, he was stoned, and left to die, he was shipwrecked and spent the night and day in the open sea, and yet his character was left standing strong in his "faith".

In my opinion, the thorn wasn't to keep Paul from being "PROUD", If Paul was ever "proud" it was before his encounter with the Messiah, in my opinion, this thorn was so that others would have their “eyes” on the “MESSIAH”, and not on Paul.

How can something be both used by God and be caused by Satan's destructive work, and how does this verse relate to Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20?

It is through our "faith" our "encounter with” the Messiah that we too can become strong, we too can face the times when Satan is allowed to buffet us, it is because our character is being changed, Paul's character demonstrated to us, we who have had an encounter with the Messiah, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, we too can walk in the humbleness of the "CROSS" and be an "over comer", all things will work together for those "WHO ARE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE". :)

The thorn in the flesh was given to Paul so that he would not boast and that he would keep

him humble.The thorn can be cause by satan and God can use it for our good.This is relate

because the devil can cause thing to happen to us for bad and to hurt us and to destroy us

but our father can turn it in ti something for our good as a testimony.

I think that this “thorn in the flesh” was given to Paul was for the reason that the bible says it was given. It was to keep him humble. I think that the purpose that God wanted to achieve through this in Paul’s character was to make it so he didn’t think that everything depended on him and that he would rely on God. When we are hurting and needing relief from that hurt then we turn go God. So we will be able to testify how God is working through us and it isn’t what we are doing.

This relates perfectly with Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20 especially with Genesis 50:20 because there was a lot of evil things going in Joseph’s life before he was able to prevent the Egyptians from starving.

• 2 weeks later...

The "thorn in the flesh" was given to Paul as a example of what humans can bear. Whoever has faith in God will be tested by Satan to the maximum power. But with God on our side, we will be assured that God will always win. No matter how hard and all the tricks in the world that he does and did, God already won. By allowing His only begotten Son to became our representative on the cross, He has paid for all our sins. We will be afraid of Satan at times, but with God on our side, we will persevere.

The "thorn in the flesh" was given to Paul to stop him from becoming proud. God wanted Paul to be humble and to trust him and rely on him, because God's power works best in weakness. God has all power and all knowledge and can use all things to our good including the devils destructive work. Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20 both testify to this principle.

To let us understand that troubles may also with us in certain extent even we walk right with God.

Humility and reverence before God even in hard time.

Satan tends to destroy whilst God causes a build up in perseverance and consistence of faith.

Both enhance the faith of the believer towards a better future.

• 1 month later...

This “thorn in the flesh” was given to Paul as a testimony in his Apostleship, so that in his weakness he boasted only of the power of God that

empowered him to continue preaching the gospel in spite of physical ailments.

God want to achieve a humble, trusting character in the Apostle Paul.

Something be both used by God and be caused by Satan’s destructive work because the all-powerful God has the ability to

turn that which the enemy meant for bad and use it to fulfil His purpose.

In both verses we see that ultimately if you trust God He will work out everything regardless of Satan's interferences.

• 1 year later...

I will agree with Dr. Wilson that the thorn in the flesh was most probably a physical aliment of some sort and God used that aliment to keep Paul from being haughty or arrogant -- to work on his character.   To keep him humble.

Like with Joseph, what evil his brothers intended for him, God used for good and to achieve divine purposes.  So, God can co-opt the evil initiated by Satan directed at  a person's life and use it for His purposes and ultimately for the good of that person.

In reality, God uses all things that happen, both good and evil, in a believer's life for the good and spiritual development of that person.

• 3 months later...

I don't try to read much into this right now, but last Tuesday nigh I attended a Hispanic Pentecostal prayer meeting and have had a stomach flu since that time.

i'd gladly accept such an illness, in hope it is not fatal, if God would remove my ego permanently and then use me like Smith Wigglesworth. I was curious since he did the year I was born, but then so did Edgar Cayce. somehow this is strangely connected to my giant ego which seems to need to take its place in the dust under my feet. I pray for God to clarify my direction, teach me mor humility, and only for His Glory

• 6 months later...

Q1. (2 Corinthians 12:7) Why was this “thorn in the flesh” given to Paul? What purpose did God want to achieve through this in Paul’s character?

Paul was given a painful physical ailment to keep him humble. It could have even worsened when Paul started to have feelings of self importance and pride, we don't know, but it certainly seems that was possible. I think God was makng sure Paul didn't become too egotistical by having the ailment flare up every time he started to self-agrandize. It was important to God's plan for His church that the main prime theologian . . the man responsible for writing most of the doctrine we believe in . . wasn't a proud hauty person, but a humble man who put Christ first all the time and lived in total obedience to Him.

No matter how horrific sinful things can be, like the Holocaust and the Bolshevik revolution, where millions of people were killed and tortured, and the present terrorist situation in the world,  they are still under the sovereign control of Almighty God. Sin is in the world through the fall of mankind. Sin will stay in the world until the appointed time when God makes all things new. Until that time God has chosen to work through Christians and Godly people on earth. God can and does use any and every situation to His ultimate end, even if we just can't figure out why He condoned mass murder etc. In the Old Testament we see many examples of God allowing people to die in plagues and wars. He even struck thousands down Himself. Back then God was about establishing Himself as the God more powerful and way above all the false gods the people of that time worshipped. God is still the same. Read Revelation and see where a third of Mankind will be lost in the calamities of the end time tribuations!

God has given Satan temporary control over the world until the completion of all the sins of fallen mankind and Satan have been accomplished. Why? We don't know. We do know that Jesus will parade His people before the powers and principalities in the spiritual realm. God created those powers and principalities; what does He need to prove to beings He Himself created, and could eliminate from existence with the blink of an eye? Evidently God does need to show everyone and everything that He is the Lord of everything. That's why things will go from bad to worse to worst before the second coming of Christ.

I'm thinking about Job at the moment. He was a righteous man who wasn't proud or arrogant. He loved God and was grateful for all God had blessed him with. Satan asked for permission to put Job on trial, as it were, to see if he REALLY loved God. God gave him permission to do just that. So there was God allowing extreme hardship and personal suffering to befall a man He loved and who loved Him. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes in the spiritual realm.

All things work together for good for those who love God. Some translations put it as "all things work together for the good of those who love God". Clearly that isn't the case a lot of the time. Let's be realistic and admit that for the life of us we can't see any good in our kids getting sick, our loved ones getting cancer, people dying needlessly in natural disasters, wars, etc. There is no earthly good in any of those things. Maybe there is some part of God's plan that requires folk to die in earthquakes, the holocaust, or whatever?

When I was married my wife used to suffer migraines sometimes. I had to go to work some days and leave her in bed after making her comfortable with whatever I could do, which was next to nothing, because I had to keep my job since I was the one who had a job. I would plead with God all the way to work in the truck to please heal her and take the migraine away . . . and He never once did that . . not on any occasion. I have not much faith at all when it comes to asking God to heal people because I've never been given a reason to have any.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul writes the answer to the question :"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh"

God wanted to make Paul humble. If we are not humble it is difficult to minister to God's people.

​If the thorn was the work of Satan and the evil forces in the world then God is able to use the work of Satan for good.  This is th amazing transforming power of the Lord.

Paul faith as well as that of the commentator of Genesis and Paul's Romans statement all point to the Lord being able to work all things together for good. No matter the results of evil God in the end finds good and returns it to humanity! It is hard to see any good in the shooting of Malala Yousafzai -the Pakistani girl who was shot, lived and received a Nobel prize- yet the work she has accomplished has been the goodness of good.  

• 8 months later...

It appears that the thorn in Paul's flesh, though we know not what it was, was given to Paul to keep him humble in his ministry. However, through Paul God healed many, but Paul was nit to be healed. He had confessed that three times he prayed and asked the Lord to heal him, his answer was "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness".

God wanted Paul's character to remain humble and be a trusted and worthy servant for as long as he lived.

Sometimes to keep Christians humble and a loyal servant, God may allow Satin to do his destructive work o us. God himself causes no ailments, but does allow Satin to affect us as in the book of Job.

2 Corinthians 12:7 related to Romans 8:28 and Gen. 50:20. In Gen. 50:20 Joseph explains to his brothers that even though what they did was meant for evil against him, God used this hatred to save many lives. Through the hatred and evil committed against Joseph when he was young, God used this incident to bring Joseph into power under Pharaoh to keep many people and nations from starving to death. Romans 8:28 states "we know that all things work together for the good to those who love the God, to those who are called according to his purpose".