JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Weakness to Strength

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10) What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer? How does our self-sufficiency limit God’s power through our lives? Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves?

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10) What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer?

"For when I am weak, then I am strong" That when he did not exert his own strength and allowed God to use him he was the strongest. Paul understanding his weakness in his flesh allows the Spirit to work in him more fully.

How does our self-sufficiency limit God’s power through our lives?

We tend to lean unto our own understanding producing results from our own understanding. The problem isn't that He gave us understanding and wisdom, the problem is that we do not acknowledge Him. He does not tell us not to use our several ability, in the parable of the talents and the pounds there is a stiff penalty for not using ones several ability. The thing is that we are to use what He has given us according to His guidance. Whenever we use our own sufficiency's according to our wills, our spirit is not in agreement with the Spirit. God will not share His glory therefore He will not be in the midst of what we are doing. His power will not be visible because He is not in the act / action that we are conducting in our self-sufficiency.

Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves?

I believe we can, but that is His call, He sees us naked.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10)

What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer?

Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves?

God answered Paul’s prayer not in the way Paul had hoped for but in His perfect way. Instead of removing the ‘thorn’, God gave Paul something better, the grace to bear it. At the same time God promised to give him something that Paul needed most – the power and strength to help him in revealing Christ to the Gentiles. And the best way for this to happen, was for Paul to be kept in a place of weakness. Today it is no different. God's answer to His suffering people throughout the world is that we should rather have Christ in our hearts, and the assurance of His strength and enabling grace than the removal of trials and sufferings. It is when we are aware of our own weaknesses that we are strong, as we come to depend mostly on the power of God.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10) What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer? How does our self-sufficiency limit God’s power through our lives? Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves?

Paul learnt that God's grace was sufficient for him in his affliction. His weakness was an opportunity to see God's power in action in his life. He therefore no longer feared challenges but looked forward to experiencing such afflictions because he would see God at work in any of such challenges.

Although we depend on God, we could still eperience some "thorn" in our "flesh" because jesus clearly taught that we would have trials and tribulations in this wolrd. He however encouraged us to stand firm because there would be reward for overcoming.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10) What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer?

GOD CAN ONLY SHOW HIMSELF STRONG WHEN IT IS APPARENT TO OTHERS THAT WE ARE WEAK. WE ARE THE STRONGEST IN THE EYES OF GOD WHEN WE ARE WEAK ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT HE, ALONE, IS GOD.

How does our self-sufficiency limit God’s power through our lives? WE GET IN GOD'S WAY. WE ARE CAPABLE TO FOOLING OURSELVES INTO BELIEVING THAT WE ARE ALL OF THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS.

Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves? NO.

Paul said "I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak in human strength then am I truly strong, able, powerful in divine strength." He accepted God's denial as God's perfect will for his life and embraced it. He chose to live by God's grace and sufficiency rather than his own.

When I am self sufficient (not willfully or on purpose...sometimes I forget that He's the Vine and I'm the branch), I put a tourniquet on His supply line, and His power is shut off and I flounder in my own strength. (I don't do that very often anymore. Floundering on my own isn't a pretty picture and accomplishes nothing of value.)

Paul's thorn was due to his exceedingly amazing revelations and glimpse into Heaven, to keep him humble and dependent upon the Lord. Not many have the revelation that Paul received. So I don't know how to answer that, as only the Lord knows what each one needs. The thorn, without great revelation, can remind us of our need for His strength, rather than our own. A thorn if He allows it, is not something to fear, but rather a gift of His love and grace.

Paul learned that God's grace was sufficient for him.

More weakness only means there is more room for God to work! If we are sufficient in ourselves, we won't seek His power!

I think everyone has some sort of "thorn." Our flesh is always battling with His Spirit.

Answer:

1.What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer?

Two times ..the word i would not Becomes arrogant was mentioned..

2 Cor 12:7-even because of the extraordinary character of the revelations.Therefore-so that I would not become arrogant,a thorn in the flesh was given to me,a messenger of Satan to trouble me-so that I would not become arrogant.

The lesson that Paul learned,is not to be arrogant,thinking that because He has many revelations from God,..He becomes very strong and powerful and just can do anything...The Lord still wants Paul to be dependent on HIS GRACE,which He said is sufficient to thwart any weaknesses that Paul has,in face of the messenger from satan who has making trouble to his ministry.

2.How does our self-sufficiency limit God’s power through our lives?

I heard one pastor(Pastor Joseph Prince) once said..WHEN WE RELAX,GOD WORKS....WHEN WE WORK,GOD RELAX.

When we think we can do it,in our own-GOD'S POWER CAN'T FLOW IN US..because we did not allow Him to be God...but when we think that WE CAN"T DO IT IN OUR OWN.then GOD'S POWER WILL FLOW IN OUR LIFE ,AND SINCE WE KNOW THAT IT IS NOT DUE TO US,WE GIVE GOD THE GLORY AND PRAISE AND HONOR.

3. Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves?

YES.

The life changing lesson to me was that God's grace was (and is) sufficient. I remember one time questioning God's grace (how does it help me?). Then I learned a definition of God's grace, His favor, lovingkindness and mercy. Wow!! I will take His grace anytime. I already know I am weak. I know that I am here for a reason and that the purpose for my life is up to God to perform and not me. I don't even know what it is except no matter where we live I live for HIm. However His grace, now this is something I can get into. His grace is sufficient for me in all circumstances. THank you Lord for your grace. Amazing Grace!

I guess if we want to do it He will let us and we will fail (maybe time and time again until we finally get it).

CAn we become dependent upon God without having to experience some thorn ourselves? I don't know however I doubt it. "Let me O Lord be fully dependent on you". May I have the wisdom to know that I am fully dependant on Him.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

He learned he could be glad because of his weakness, even boast of them because God's power could fully rest on him. He knew when he was weak, then he was really strong. I also think he rejoiced that GOD'S glory was more revealed to others instead of any glory for himself.

Our self sufficiency limits God's power in our lives because if we are not dependent on looking to God for next steps or wisdom in a situation or strength to see something through, then we are only living by our own small minded standards and our very limited wisdom and in our own strength that quickly fades. Everything is "man" based and without good foundation. Being dependent on God, sets self aside and walks in faith. We don't have to have it all figured out, or planned or controlled and we are dependent on one who really DOES have the answers and who never fails!

I don't know if we ever can become totally dependent on God without struggle. Our flesh gets in the way and our lack of all knowing wisdom shows through so much. We have such a journey here, always learning, always seeking, always needing guidance. I don't think there is a black and white answer to this question. The Holy Spirit is faithful to do that in us....to perfect us in dependence, but that's an "If we allow him to" and we have to be submitted to that. I can only speak from my experiences and try as I might.....I always seem to end up trying to do things on my own at some point. Sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes out of pride, sometimes I don't even realize it until I'm tired out and realize why! The hard times get my attention, they alert me to look at what I'm doing, to evaluate and to turn to the only one who can REALLY help me!

Someday, we are promised to be perfect though! I have my sight set on that day! Oh glorious day!

I just haven't arrived yet..........

Paul had a problem, but we don't exactly know what it was.

Anyway, he prayed God several times to take it away, but God said no.

In this case, He apparently wanted Paul to teach something:

If we're really down, we can't pretend nomore we're doing it by ourselves, so God finally gets the honour.

This way, God's strenth shows through our weakness.

That God used Paul's weakness to make him stronger in faith in his God and Lord. That he made him humble in himself but strong in his preaching of God's word and revelation that God gave him. Our self dependance take us away from what God wants to give us and do in our lives and leads us down a road of deceit and selfishness and pride. I believe we can become dependent on God but will eventually become prideful because we are human and have the desire to take credit for thing we do and forget that God give us all thing through His mercy and Grace and without Him we are really nothing more than dirt.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:10)

What was the life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer?

When God denied his prayer Paul learned from God to use the weaknesses to achieve more as it is in such weakness that a person becomes powerful.

How does our self-sufficiency limit God's power through our lives?

Our self-sufficiency limits God's power through our lives in that, wehen we are self sufficient we may tend to forget what God is capable to do for us. We then live as if we deserve it and forget that, it is God's grace.

Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some "thorn in the flesh" ourselves?

I think we can.

The life change that Paul learned was that when he is weak that when he is strong and he learned that he was

to be content in all his circumtances.Our self-sufficiency limit God power because we think that we can do

everything without him in our strengh.Some people think they can but I think all of God children have a thorn

in the flesh this is to keep us humble.

The lesson Paul learned came from what he experienced, that no matter what insults, injury, constraints, calamities, or persecutions that may come his way, because of his faith in the Messiah, the lesson learned was, "yes" he was willing to continue on, to walk the walk of "faith", he was willing to work out his own salvation, to run the race to the end, because Christ promised Paul, that He would be his strength in times of trouble.

This is a great lesson for us all to learn, and hopefully it will not have to be learned through the trials and testing’s that Paul went through, the "Cross" is calling out for a remnant of true believers, those who will be willing to take pleasure in fallowing Christ, no matter what the cost may be, for we have the same promise as Paul, that Christ will be our strength in times of weakness.

How does our self-sufficiency limit God's power through our lives?

God's power is received by those who are willing to do as Paul did, and say, “Yes, I will take pleasure in those infirmities, for I know I can never do it on my own.

Can we become dependent upon God without having to experience some "thorn in the flesh" ourselves?

I became dependent upon God the moment I believed in God's Son, however, I find I am still in the learning process, as I keep on this journey, step by step walking in Him, I am finding "self" becoming less, but, there still are times that I am in need of being reminded by the Holy Spirit, If I want to make it through this testing, my strength must come from the Messiah, and once again I start to feel the strength, the courage to carry on, "yes, I am willing to go on, because of Christ". :)

The life-changing lesson that Paul learned from God when God denied his prayer was that he had to rely on Him and not on himself.

The way that self-sufficiency limits God’s power through our lives is that we think that we know best and we don’t ask God for his wisdom.

We can become dependent upon God without having to experience some “thorn in the flesh” ourselves by listening to God and staying connected to his word.

The life-changing lesson was that God's power is perfected in weakness. When we behave in a self-sufficient way we do things through our own strength instead of through God's power working through us. I'm sure we can become dependent upon God by surrendering and submitting to his Lordship and training of the Spirit, however we all have to go through trials.

God always gives grace to those who trusts Him for strength to go through bad time.

If man can do, he will boast about his ability and forgets to give glory to God. In that case why must God help those who think they are capable.

Certainly yes.

Paul learned that sometimes God wants to use us in pur place of weakness. He learned that God is mighty and powerful and that his own weakness provided a great opportunity for God's strength to be seen.

Our self-sufficiency basically tells God that we do not need Him or His help. God will not force His power on us. We must willingly give up our right to ourselves and our natural tendency to fix situations ourself and allow God to work on our behalf.

We can, but it is harder. when we get the idea that we are perfect then it is more difficult to let go and let God. We get a superhero complex where we believe it is all about us and what we can do. However, when we have the thorn in the flesh it is easier to look to God, recognising our own shortcomings and trust God to work for us.

• 1 month later...

Paul learned that God's grace is sufficient to meet all of our needs.

Our self-suffficiency can limit God's power through our lives when we fail to fully depend on Him to meet our needs,

instead we try and do thing ourselves.

Yes we can become delendent upon God without experiencing some "thorn in the flesh." This can be

accomplished when we believe His word and follow His word in our everyday circumstances, good and

bad.

• 7 months later...

2a)Paul learnt&accepted the truth totally depending on God alone he has all sufficient resources in Christ for his ministry&power to persevere thro trials.

b)When we trust in our own resources,we don’t give him room to work or look beyond ourselves to see God’s power in action.

c)My thorns have prompted me to depend on God much more for all my needs,given me power in Him to in humility see where I’m off track with worldly thoughts pride,self-doubt &depend on God alone to overcome any trials. Maybe possible without thorns, but harder.

• 1 year later...

Paul realized that when he is weak he strong in Christ.  That God uses our weakness so that He can make us strong.  That we know it is not us but Him who is providing the strength.  I think this is another way that God reveals Himself to us personally and creates a strong bond between believers and Himself.

I think that if we walk humbly with God we will avoid the necessity of a thorn in the flesh.  I believe that God  does what he needs to do in developing each believer.  We all require different aides or tracks in spiritual development.  Some things that seem bad are really good for us and some things that seem really good are bad for us.

Case in point:  Several years ago I had a brush fire blow back on me and it burnt 17% of my body.  I spend 14 days in the burn unit and trauma ward at Shands UF in Gainesville, Fl.  It was rough, but it was one of the best two weeks in life.  My relationship with God grow more profoundly and deeply that at anytime in my life.  God revealed himself to me more deeply that at anytime in my life that I am aware of.  God taught me to wait on Him and He waited on me.  The Lord is truly my Shepherd and I shall not want for anything.

I will always be grateful to God for that experience.  It has and will have an eternal effect on my life. 

• 3 months later...

Thank you God for showing me that self-sufficiency is a mistake, a big  mistake. Only in relying on you God is there any hope for me to walk in this fallen world.

Who am I to decide if I need a thorn in my side? I am a speck of almost nothing in this universe God created. I hope and pray to be of some use to Him, today. So I prayerfully pay attention to all that is happening, And pray for wisdom in Jesus name.

• 7 months later...

God said to Paul" ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  and Isaiah wrote ""He gives strength to the weary

and increases the power of the weak."

It is in weakness that God uses us. when we are weak, it is then that God's power can be used and seen in us. To often we expect God  to give us strength to do His work but no. He will do his work through our weakness to display for those who can see , His power.

Our self sufficiency, if it does not come from God and is not seen to come God can be a deterrent to God's work. To be effective we must rely on and depend upon God not only for our strength but for the completion of our projects for Him.

Yes I suppose we can learn from vicarious experience to be dependent on God but for most independent type people we need the thorn in the side.

• 8 months later...

The life changing lesson Paul learned when God denied his prayer was that through weakness God's power rested on him. The weakness and problem Paul had was but another way to see God's power in action for other opportunities of that power.

When we become self sufficient we rely on our knowledge and power and limit God's power. God can not transform us into the person he wants if we can't allow him to do.

We can learn to become dependent on God if we will humble ourselves, realize our own weakness and allow God to transform us into a person he wants, so we can become an inspiration to others.