JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Public Confrontation

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately? Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously? How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately? Conviction of nothing to hide. Also the public argument was more of a witness of his commitment.

Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously? I believe he had questioned him. I do not believe Peter knew he would confirm and confront publically.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? They knew where Paul stood and where they stood as far as Paul was concerned.

How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? It showed equal and unbiased commitment to the message of Jesus Christ.

What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul? Major pressure since he did not have a letter. He had to trust the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately? Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously? How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul?

Peter wasn't following Jesus teachings and needed to be confronted in front of all-Jews and Gentiles-because all needed to see him turn back to Christ's ways and sometimes we need to show in our walk. To see the confrontation was an example of their possible confrontation and as a reminder of their commitment. Peter was over Paul so Paul was extremely stressed.

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately? Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously?

Perhaps Paul did confront Peter privately at first, but saw no change in Peter’s behaviour; perhaps not. A public confrontation was Paul’s defence of the gospel. The gospel of salvation was publically disgraced by Peter, and Jesus’ teaching of salvation by faith and not works was brought into disrepute. As it was a public issue, it needed to be addressed and seen to be rectified publically. Truth needed to overcome this erroneous heresy right to the core of Jerusalem. Paul’s correction therefore, was also for the benefit of the Jerusalem inner-circle, and of course, for the benefit of Barnabas for whom Paul had ministered alongside with. There was to be no class system of “us Jews” and “them Gentiles”. Salvation is for all! Salvation is accepted by faith in Jesus Christ.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? The Jewish Christians were lost in pride evidenced by their requirement of the Gentiles to come up to their standard through works. They were instituting a class-system that was totally against Jesus requiring us to love one another. In short, Paul pin-pointed their sin -which ironically was practiced to get salvation- and so gave them an opportunity to repent and come into fellowship with the Father and with one another. This correction could then go back to the seat of Christianity, Jerusalem.

How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? Paul’s public rebuke of Peter gave the Gentiles faith that Jesus’ gospel is inclusive of all! Paul demonstrated, as Jesus did, that God is not a respecter of persons, and that Jesus died for both the Jew and the Gentile. Paul’s public rebuke centred salvation on a message from God to man, rather than man to man. Faith in the Gentile community may have wavered, yet Paul’s rebuke taught the Gentile to be subject to God – the truth- and not to man.

What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul? I could only imagine severe frustration with Peter and anguish from seeing his diligent work of spreading the truth of salvation being undermined by persons filled with self-importance and judgement upon the Gentiles.

Well, it certainly wasn't because he was trying to be difficult. NO,NO!! His main purpose was to save and preserve the message of the gospel.

Yes, Paul was the kind of man whom would have spoken to Peter privately at first, to reason with him. His intent was not to embarrass Peter publicly.

By calling Peter 'out' publicly, Paul is bringing to light Peter's character, to both gentile and Jewish Christians. Peter's position on the subject of circumcision is wishy-washy. He floats whichever way the wind blows. This is a very gutsy move on Paul's part. But he feels it is very important to publicly point out and REVEAL Peters hypocrisy which is so blatant it cannot be ignored either by Jew or gentile,.

Coming out publicly and revealing Peter's hypocrisy must have been very difficult for Paul because he was a newcomer while Peter was already and integral part of the established group of Christians in Antioch. He risk being ostracized, or even worst persecuted. Aside from that, being a loyal friend, he did not want to embarrass Peter. But, his faith was strong and he knew he must do what God commanded of him. Paul was being a faithful disciple. He was willing to risk anything and everything for God. His only objective was to preserve the message of the gospel, saved by faith not by works!

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately?

Paul had a "BOLD" personality; we saw it when he went after the Jewish men who stood on “TRUTH" - Yeshua is the "Messiah".

Paul "BOLDLY AGREED" with the "Council" when "Steven" the first Jewish believer was martyred for standing firm on his "FAITH" in Israel's Messiah. And now that Paul knows the "TRUTH" his "BOLD" personality is turned to defending what the Cross has done for the world, we see Paul "BOLDLY" going face to face with Peter, "TRUTH" must be dealt with "HEAD ON".

The TRUTH IS "GOOD NEWS" AND IT CAME THROUGH ISRAEL'S PASSOVER LAMB The Gentile people do not have to be circumcised, in other words, they do not have to become a Jew in order for them to be saved - Act 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish believers and the Gentile Christians, and what kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul?

Open discussion is always good in order for the truth to come out.

I think this provided great benefit to both the Jew and Gentile believers, Salvation has come to the world through Israel's Passover Lamb.

Paul's life obviously showed he was not walking in the "flesh". Paul admitted he was weak when he is in the flesh, but very bold and powerful when he is in faith, Paul faced all kinds of "PRESSURES" that were before him, pressures that came both politically and from his peers, he was able to face them head on because he allowed the power of the Holy Spirit to work through him. :mellow:

Church discipline calls for confronting face to face first, then to the body of believers. He had to correct differences which were threatening to divide the body. The entire church needed to hear this so everyone would know where they stood.

It would bring balance--for the Jews, the circumcism problem

for the Gentiles, that the pressure to be circumcised was off.

This put a tremendous amount of pressure on Paul, but it was necessary to keep the unity of the body!

I think Paul confronted Peter publicly because it was a matter of accountability in the end for the good of the whole church. I do think Paul probably took the situation up with Peter privately at first without results and that probably woke a fire in Paul for the true Gospel and to see the situation righted and justice done and truth lived out. The discussion would have benefited the Jewish Christians to either strengthen them to live boldly in their true faith if they had been afraid to, or convict them to change their ways for the truth of the Gospel if they did not have a true understanding of it. It also benefited the Gentile believers, encouraging and uplifting them that they indeed were acceptable to God by faith alone. They could embrace freedom openly without fear of oppression and this strengthened them.

I have no doubt that the pressure on Paul was huge. To have to stand alone and stand for truth is very hard. Sometimes people don't want to hear truth, or group together in a lie and make things miserable for anyone representing truth. It's especially hard when people of influence are involved. It can be very discouraging and except for faith in God and HIS faithfulness, sometimes it can seem to be a huge burden. But I know Paul stood on truth and he knew God stood on truth so he was faithful to convey truth. He depended on God and knew that he should continue the work and God would be with him. He might have to suffer for awhile, but it was all for the cause of Christ and that was his heart in it! So he set his eyes on the goal and continued!

Q2. (Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately?

Peter's behavior was being practiced openly in the church body of believers. I believe Paul confronted him publicly because it was a crucial doctrinal issue involving all of the saints.

Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously?

I would imagine that Paul had spoken to Peter privately, but I really don't know. If he had, it would have given Peter a chance to reflect and to put down his defenses. Peter's pattern of "people pleasing", or "fear of man", began when he denied "knowing Jesus, with curses", during His trial, and was a dangerous "fence to straddle", implying that works or tradition save us rather than grace alone.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? How did it benefit the Gentile Christians?

This was a form of discipline and was a "teachable moment" for both Jewish and Gentile Christians regarding hypocrisy in the Church. It demonstrated the urgency of not only preaching the pure gospel, but also living it. It exposed the root of division and schism which we are so prone to fall into. It underscored to the Jewish believers that the gospel is the NEW COVENANT OF GRACE which replaced the OLD COVENANT OF LAW. Paul taught vehemently that the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. When the law was given at Mt. Sinai, 3,000 people died. When the Spirit was poured out at Pentecost, 3,000 people were saved under Peter's preaching. Peter knew better but succumbed to his carnal weakness it seems, when he felt enough pressure.

It underscored for the Gentile believers that they didn't need to "become Jews" to be equal in the body of Christ and that they were to adhere to the Gospel of Grace not allowing themselves to be put under law, even in matters such as eating. The Judaizers were trying to pervert the gospel by pressuring the Gentile believers to be circumcised, at that time, and confronting Peter openly was a powerful example to all of them! It was also a lesson in how to avoid sweeping things under the rug.

What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul?

Probably a great deal, but Paul was up to the task! He never compromised, even unto death. Peter learned from this, bless his heart, and went on to be a great and humble leader, without compromise, unto his own death on the cross, deeming it unfitting to be crucified as Jesus was, and requested to be crucified upside down. Thank God we can learn from our mistakes!

Peter had to be spoken to publicly in in order for all present to see his hypocrisy. If it was done privately the gentiles would never have been accepted until they obeyed the Jewish Law.

Yes. He always suggested this approach, to first confrnt the person and then include others if not successful.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians?

They saw how God accepted the Gentiles and uderstood the saving grace of Jesus. Thus showing them that keeping rituals or obeying law could not save them.

How did it benefit the Gentile Christians?

They could feel that they were part of the Christian faith without having to change to someone elses cultural norms. They were saved by grace not by works.

Paul felt all alone fighting for the Gentile Christians but this made him stronger because he was able to stand boldly alone and oppose those who were trying to force unnecessary rites on the Gentiles. Paul was forced to stand all alone for what he knew to be right.

Because they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel

Yes

To know the truth and where they stand

Now they know in Christ they are one.

Loose what he has worked for

Q2. (Galatians 2:14)

Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately?

I think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately because he knew it was not going to change Peter he feared the influence of the Jewish-circumcision party from Jerusalem and also was to confirm to the Gentiles the truth of what he, Paul, preached.

It might be yes, and when he saw that, Paul was not changing, then he decided to go public.

This benefited the Jewish Christians in that, they saw Paul speaking without fear and by understanding that, what he was preaching wass revealed to him by Jesus himself, thus it was a clear indication that what they stood for about circumcision was wrong.

This also benefited the Gentile Christians by strengthening their faith without any fear of being uncircumcised.

Definitely Paul was on presssure: to stick to the truth as revealed to him and as he understood it or to follow the leaders from Jerusalem, who were very influential.

Paul probably had tried every other avenue to sort the matter out and when it became a do or die issue, he chose to confront Peter publicly. So, yes, I expect Paul to have reasoned out with Peter about this previously. The public discussion must have helped to put on the table all the differing view points, so that people no longer had to speculate and wonder and argue and not know what was right. The pressure on Paul must have been tremendous, because the entire ministry to the Gentiles was at stake.

1st Timothy 5:20, I sure this was a difficult things for Paul regardless of the personality that we perceive he had. I believe that he confronted Peter directly and the others indirectly publically because the offense was public. This difficult teaching moment was beneficial to both the offender(s) and the offended as [if] they allowed the Holy Spirit to minister to them.

Hypocrisy is a spiritual disease, it is best addressed when noticed in hopes to prevent it from spreading.

Not sure, I believe that their movements were interdependent. When they gathered to converse concerning the spreading of the Gospel they discussed it's growth. Perhaps they talked about cultural differences but I'm not sure if it was in a manner for corrective actions or to gain a greater understanding but more so conveying what was seen. In the past when I traveled abroad, as I talked among friends, I mentioned some things I noticed, my intent was nothing more than acknowledging. Having said that I was not born again and they were not going on a mission. Being around people returning from a mission now that I am born again, I gained the same sentiment. They were simply sharing what they observed and or experience.

In short I'm not sure, if Paul had talked with Peter about the issue.

They were able to see the principles of the Gospel in action and active. I'm sure it increased their faith as well.

There are references in the Bible were Peter would react quickly providing the circumstances, yet there is no evidence that he became angry here, or that he did not receive the reprimand by Paul with perfect good temper. Peter's actions contradicted faith in Christ, faith in the Gospel. Faith that is not manifested in action is worthless. Faith begins when God speaks. Romans 10:17 explains, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Every person mentioned in the Bible's Hall of Faith, Hebrews 11, exercised their faith by responding to what God told them to do: Abel offered a sacrifice; Noah prepared an ark; Abraham offered up Isaac; Moses left Egypt. When God said, "Do this," they did it. "Stewardship is what I do after I say I believe" . Author Unknown

The Judaizers of this instance, to include Peter and Barnabas professed faith in Christ but denied it by their behavior. Paul and all whom adhered to the leading of the Holy Spirit demonstrated their faith in Christ's grace by appropriate action. When our faith and actions are in complete accord with the Gospel, we are Christians in the true sense. Discord between faith and action results in hypocrisy.

They saw faith in action, they more than likely felt good that compassion was shown to them, they saw the principles of the Gospel adhered to. I believe it increased their faith.

A great deal of pressure, Paul wasn't an outcast but there were difference being that he had once lead in persecution. Peter had been a part of the Gospel movement, he was influential as well, he would be a great person to have on ones side. For Paul to have Peter against him could trouble the waters so to speak. Barnabas was his fellow laborer not having him along side would as well trouble the waters. Peer pressure can be dangerous for those who gave into it and for those who do not, but the Lord was with Paul, He as well touched Peter and Barnabas for we do not read of any grave irritation after this encounter.

Q:-2(Galatians 2:14 )

Why do you think paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately?

There must be publicly. for all to hear Jews& Gentiles to know that salvation comes only through Grace of God and by Faith in Him, and not in the Law's rituals, or eating special foods or circumcision

Do you expect Paul had talked with peter about this previously?

I expect that, becuase there was no change in peter's character,for that Paul had done it publicly.

How did public discussion of this benefit the Jewish christians?

They Learn how the LORD accepted the Gentile christians like them without depending on the Law ,and they are not( theJews) ( first class )and Gentile christians ( second class), and the observing of the LAW, will not benefit them for any things, and that they must leave the works of the law.But only thing that will be benefit for them,is to put their Faith& trust in the LORD JESUS CHRIST and his work that he done for them upon the CROSS to save them .Salvation is a Free Gift from the Lord to whoever believes in him .Salvation only comes by Faith and not by Works(Law).(For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life...John 3:16)(( For by Grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the GIFT of GOD, not of Works, lest anyone should boast...Ephesians 2:8,9).

How did it benefit the Gentile christians?

that they are EQUAL with Jews as believers in Lord JESUS CHRIST and there is no needing to be circumcised..or observe the Law.

What kind of pressure do you think this put on paul?

It was great pressure, Nevertheless.he had confident that the Lord was with him and he was leading by the Holy Spirit. For that, he was not afraid from men, even if all was against him.

Q2. (Galatians 2:14)

Paul confronted Peter publicly because Peter had caused much anger amongst the Gentile Christians, and at the same time was leading others astray. This therefore called for an open confrontation with Peter. No, I don’t think Paul spoke to Peter privately as this was a public issue. I feel Paul could not tolerate any deviation from the true gospel he had received directly from Jesus, and was therefore determined to defend and uphold it at all costs. Both Jewish and Gentile Christians ultimately benefited from Paul’s action. God did not now differentiate between the two groups; both being justified on the same terms through faith in Christ crucified. Consequently, Paul’s action helped unify the Christian church and helped prevent a major split at the time. This must have put tremendous pressure on Paul as this whole issue could easily have crippled or even destroyed the church.

Paul must have had concerns about a fellow believer behaving in this manner. Distortion of the Gospel by the hyprocrisy would have worried him.

There were implications of politics previously, Paul would not have wanted the Gospel to be reduced to political manuevering by keeping this behind closed doors. The Gospel is about Jesus. The Gospel transends politics and cultural differences. The Gospel is the same for all believers. We are not saved by following the law, customs, or rituals.

Our walk with the Lord is individual and unique to each one of us. To copy or mimick another walk is to place God in a catagory of trivia.

Paul confronted Peter publicly because they were both leaders of the people present and the matter was a serious one that had to be corrected, not only in Peter but in the believers who had seen his behavior and may have been tempted to follow his example. A public confrontation and discussion benefited everyone by correcting the error publicly and bring unity between Jew and Gentile believers. Paul would have been under considerable pressure, but he knew he had to obey God rather than man.

I think Paul cnfronted Peter publicly rather than privately because the influence from the Jewish Christians from Jerusalem were too strong for Peter to listen privately. If he had not publicly confronted the situation, the mission to the Gentiles would have died.

Yes, it was indicated that he probably had tried to reason the whole thing out.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? How did it benefit the Gentile Christians?

Public discussion benefited the Jewish Christians because it helped them to realize that salvation is for all. It benefited the Gentile Christians because it let them know that they did not have to follow the Jewish laws to be a Christian.

Paul's decision put alot of pressure on him. After all, he was an outsider, new in his faith.

I think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately because the influence from the Jewish Christians from Jerusalem were too strong for Peter to listen privately. If he had not publicly confronted the situation, the mission to the Gentiles would have died.

Yes, it was indicated that he probably had tried to reason the whole thing out.

Public discussion benefited the Jewish Christians because it helped them to realize that salvation is for all. It benefited the Gentile Christians because it let them know that they did not have to follow the Jewish laws to be a Christian.

Paul's decision put alot of pressure on him. After all, he was an outsider, new in his faith and they did not have to listen to him

I’d like to think that Paul followed Jesus’ advice from Matthew 18:15-17 and went to Peter privately when he says he “opposed him to his face.” Whether he did or not, confronting him publicly caused Peter to deal with the issue out in the open and benefitted both Jewish and Gentile Christians by open discussion instead of back room politics. The resolution of conflict is less likely to be misinterpreted when all parties are present.

Paul confronted Peter publickly so to put the records in the right perspective that the true gospel ought to be by faith alone without introduction of traditions or customs such as circumcision.

Paul probaly had discussed this with Peter and maybe not.

The public discussion was healthy and good for both the Gentile Christians and the Jewish Christian. The Gentile Christians would feel accepted and tollerated while Jewish Christians would probably see the need to accept the Gentile Christians.

I believe it had become a non-ceasing issue, an issue with legs and no matter what it would not go away, this issue of meshing the law with the Gospel of Grace.

Yes, I believe there had been an ongoing discussion as evidenced by Acts 16. Paul realized that appeasement was not the answer so he had to deal it a death blow by going after the Apostle of the Apostles head on and confronting the error and correcting the behaviour.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul?

First and foremost, this exchange lifted the Gospel to something above men. Paul stood before the Apostle who watched Jesus die and told him what for. That is powerful, that is a man so strong in his revelation and confiction from God and so pure in his intent the both Jew and Gentile was forever changed by his uncompromising positon of true Gospel. Paul became and continued to be Champion of the Gospel of Grace. He drew a line in the sand which held both Jews and Gentiles to a position that neither could stray far away from.

2.a. Paul needed to confront the situation openly because the Jewish Christian Circumcision party from Jerusalem didn't really understand the gospel to the Gentiles and their influence was very strong and if he didn't confront them the mission to the Gentiles would shrivel up and die.

b. Yes, I believe he did talk with Peter previously and that he had to confront it publicly to get everyone in agreement.

c. It helped the Jewish Christians to know that God accepted the Gentiles by their faith in Jesus Christ and not by the works of the law (circumcision).

d. It benefited the Gentile Christians in that the Gospel preached to them by Paul was right and that they were saved by faith in Jesus Christ and that they did not have to be circumcised.

e. A lot of pressure. It was Paul against them all. He had to argue his case He stuck to his beliefs and he could not be shaken and won out in the end.

(Galatians 2:14) Why do you think Paul confronted Peter publicly rather than privately? If this very serious issue stayed buried, the purpose of the Gospel would be lost and there would still be conflict with Peter and the crew, Paul, and the Jewish Christians. It had to come out in the open so there was no mistaking the true Gospel from the false. Everyone had to be on the same page or things would've remained the same as usual. Also, because Paul was a "newcomer," there was a potential for dissension. This would've spelt disaster for their mission to Antioch.

Do you expect Paul had talked with Peter about this previously? Maybe so. I believe Paul knew about the conflict, but whether or not he had a chance to discuss it with Peter before this event, I'm not quite sure.

How did a public discussion of this benefit the Jewish Christians? It benefitted them because they received a clear understanding of the Gospel, and it came from the top.

How did it benefit the Gentile Christians? It freed the Gentile Christians. They had back up from the Council, so they did not have to be circumsized. They were justified in their belief. They were vindicated. They got confirmation that they were doing the right thing by NOT being circumsized.

What kind of pressure do you think this put on Paul? A lot of pressure because this whole things could've turned negatively, and things would've remained the same at Antioch. I'm sure he didn't want to be "at odds" with his fellow brothers in Christ. They all had a common goal in mind even though they had their separate callings.