JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Circumcision vs. Faith

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ’s death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation? Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death so important in Paul’s day? Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation? It means that Christ's death was not enough.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death so important in Paul's day? He paid it all. It was Paul's job to get the word out.

Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? No room for double-mindedness and confusion.

Why is it so important in our own day? The same message; Christ paid it all.

How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations? The same.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ’s death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation? Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death so important in Paul’s day? Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

Circumcision was a way of purification used before Christ and upon Christ's return. Christ's death for our sins is suffiicient without circumcision.Not associating with Gentiles is hypocrisy, a way of pretending we are better, rather than recognizing that we are all the same under grace.So, Paul is saying, if I now depend upon Christ for my justification, it suddenly makes me realize that I'm a sinner needing his justification, no longer a Jew that seems secure in being "righteous" within the covenant. I'm suddenly aware of my sin and vulnerability because of it. Does this mean that Christ somehow makes me a sinner where I wasn't one before? No. That's foolishness! (Paul is defending himself here, as in Romans 6:1-2, against a false charge of antinomianism by his opponents.) Paul's Judaizer opponents are rebuilding the law as that which justifies, a position forever destroyed by the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ on the cross to justify us from our sins! He says with irony that the law-promoters have become the law-breakers.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation?

I am a little confused with the question; it is of great importance that we understand, that Paul never taught the purpose of Christ's death was to put an end to God's law of "CIRCUNCISION" given to the Jewish people.

Paul was speaking clearly so that both the Jewish beleivers and the Gentile believers would understand why "CIRCUMCISION" was so important to the Jews, and why so many thought the Gentile people must be circumcised, and the reason why circumcision was never deemed necessary in order for Israel to be saved.

God set up the "Feast of Atonement" to cover the sins of Israel, instead, the outward act of "CIRCUMCISION" was God's law given to the Jews, with the purpose deemed - that it would be a sign between God and his covenant people.

(Gen 17:9-14) And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations. This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; every man child among you shall be circumcised. And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you. And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed. He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; HATH BROKEN MY COVENANT.

The Gentile believers who are now a covenant people with the God of Israel, it was because of that revelation that so many were confused and thought it important that they too must be circumcised, so that their soul would not be cut off.

Paul spoke to the Jews, who knew the "TRUTH” that they ought to know what is right and proclaim the right way to the Gentiles. Therefore he was saying that "WE (Paul, Barnabas, Kepha and all of them), Jews by nature" know very well that we are not justified by works, we are justified through the Messiah and we must proclaim that promise. No one is able to be made righteous through the law, therefore the law would deem us unrighteous, it is for this reason we are condemned, this is why we need a Savior.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death so important in Paul's day?

The issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death was vitally important in Paul's day as it is today, Christ death is sufficient enough to write on the stiff-necked hearts of the believer the law of love, the desire to please and to follow after God's laws, for they are there for our good, Christ's death calls out for a holy people, NOT THAT OF A STIFFNECKED PEOPLE WALKING IN INIQUITY OR IN THE LAW OF LEGALISM.

Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

It is important that we do not trample on the Cross, even though we are not saved by works, the law, it is important we understand what Christ said in (Matthew 7:21-23) Not every one that will say unto the Messiah, you are my Master will enter into the kingdom of heaven; but those that do the will of my Father which is in heaven, for many will say to Christ, Master, did we not prophesy in your name and have done many wonderful works, and Christ will say to them, I never knew you, for your works were that of iniquity - (SIN - LEGALISM)

Reformation has come so that we would have circumcised hearts in order that we would no longer be stiff-necked and walk in that of legalism, or continue to walk in sin, in its place is love, love for God and for his laws.

(Deu 10:16) Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiff-necked. Deu 30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live

The importance wanes.

The works the Jews were used to doing to gain their salvation, took a complete turn around in their mindset on conversion.

Luther had a similar problem. There were works involved and laws of the church which took presidence over the Bible as authority.

In our day, we need to think on Jesus and praise Him for His gift to us everyday! It's easy to do good works....

It's important that church leadership not impose their legalistic views on the congregation.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation? Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death so important in Paul's day? Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

Christ's death becomes immaterial for salvation, or just one in a list of things to be done or observed or believed, to be saved. Because, the Jewish believers were still coming to terms with the fact that the law had been fulfilled in Christ, that observing it would not reconcile them to their God; they needed assurance that salvation was by faith. This same issue was important to Luther and the reformers because the church of Rome had been leading the people into believing that salvation was by works. Whatever spiritual forces have opposed the truth of the cross in Paul's day, still are acting against the church, against every generation of believers. So whether legalism or licence, the fundamental basis of the the Messiah's death and reconcilation with the Father needs to be continually emphasised.

What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation?

To the individual(s) that believe such, it taints their faith in Christ. It maybe the antecedent to other works in addition to believing. Mankind is not justified by any work of his own, those whom are justified according to God are justified through Christ Jesus work. Mankind is saved by every man shall be accounted "saved by grace through faith" not by any merit o their own whatsoever. The importance of Christ's work becomes obscured when we add to it, some have placed a greater value on what they do.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death so important in Paul's day?

It was important because it was the truth it was the Gospel. It was so important because it was in accordance with the Will of God, as the Gospel was moving forward, as Christ was being lift up. It was important because to those whom received it because their eyes were opened that God's desired to include them in His master plan.

Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers?

It was an affirmation, it was the foundation of their protest, the protest was more than a protest against the Roman Catholic Church, it was more than 95 thesis, it was that people are saved by works. That salvation is not earned by good deeds but received only as a free gift of God's grace through faith of / in Jesus the Christ as Redeemer from sin.

Note: Many versions and translations of the Bible debate over "by the faith of Jesus Christ", some change it to "faith in Jesus Christ". I agree that we must have faith in Jesus Christ, however I as well believe that we would not be able to do so if it were not for the faith of Jesus the Christ. Had He not believed we would not believe. Paul in my understanding clears up all in the next few verses.

Why is it so important in our own day?

It is extremely important in our day, just as it was in Paul's day and the Reformers. The same applies, our eternal salvation is not obtained by any works plus Christ. having said that the way will live should give witness to our faith in Him. There is justification, sanctification, and there will be glorification. Faith is required in relation to all three, the principle is yet real by grace through faith.

Romans 4:6,7 through faith in Christ a Believer passes from a rebel, a child of sin and Satan, to the position of a loyal servant of Christ Jesus, not because of an inherent goodness, but because Jesus receives this individual as His child by adoption. After we have made the decision to unit with Christ (justified) we can't just live a riotous live by deliberate choice, that would not convey sanctification, that would convey obvert disobedience, and making God's extended grace a mockery. It would not convey that we believed in Christ, or that we valued His work. We are not saved in our sins but from our sins. As we mature in Christ through the process of sanctification we are not to deliberately enjoin with sin that wouldn't show appreciation of God's grace. Taking Hebrews 12:14 out of context, yet the principle has merit, it holds truth and is true. " Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: without it we want see Him now nor will we see Him in His glory. The Law (no part of it Ceremonial, Civil, or Moral) doesn't save anyone when it comes to eternal salvation, it never did. However it does provide guidance, we cannot live as it appeases us alone, there has to be a bases of standard upon which to judge. The Ceremonial Law doesn't provide the standard of right living that is acceptable. Christ has fulfilled and will fulfill that requirement to be saved. We in our daily lives through choice and choices show our faith and what is the substance of our faith.

How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

The principle that Paul, Luther and the reformers stood on should confirm what God has said, and that is what we should stand on as well. However we just as the religious authorities of their day inject from our learned behaviors and or traditional upbringings.

The other extreme in my opinion is that many misinterpret not under the law as a I don't have to follow any mandate from the Old Testament. That any reference to the Law other than those of prosperity, being the lender not the borrower, the head and not the tail; being victorious over those against us; being healed or in health is regarded as legalism. Many look at the words that Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit to write but not as his life as a whole. He was not for legalism but he did live by standards of righteousness.

To answer the question it affects us in the same manner as it did in the 1st century and after, negatively because the Law was misapplied or misinterpreted then as it is now.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ’s death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation?

It means Christ died for nothing.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death so important in Paul’s day?

Only the truth shall set u free

Even in our days the only the truth will set us free.

The same

If circumcision or any part of the Mosaic law is deemed necessary for salvation it makes null the covenant God made with His people when He sent His only son to be crucified for our sins. Believing the law or works are the way to salvation renders Jesus' death to be in vein. The promise is, ALL are forgiven who come to God through the Son. All, means every person in every corner of the earth is saved by grace, there is nothing they can add to the 'contract' between God and His heirs ,the contract ( the promise, the new covenant) has been sealed and signed by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Jesus said, "It is finished!" (John 19:30 NLT). It is finished means a completed work. There is nothing a man can do for his own salvation.

The sufficiency of Jesus' death as redemption was extremely important because in Paul's day and centuries before Christ birth the Mosaic law was sort of a "guardian" to Gods chosen people. Christ was not yet sent by God to save His children. After Christ (AD) many held onto the old Jewish law, it was cultural, it was ingrained in them as part of their life. Jewish law was racked with many customs which were taught to all Jews from birth. It was difficult for them to believe God sent them a savior and that the law (which had been practiced for centuries and set forth to them through Moses directly through God)it was then legalized and many strict customs added to the law by Jewish leaders. It was hard to accept it was now "VOID" . They had invested so much, centuries of abiding by the Mosaic law. They believed the "law" is what justified them. The old covenant was NOW VOID. A new covenant made by God and sealed by the blood of Christ now saved them. Nothing else they could do could change that. This was difficult for most Jews to believe.

Luther himself never felt justified. He felt the weight of his sins and sincerely wished to find a way to be cleansed. He put himself through every rigor and test, including frequent fasting, long prayer vigils, and self-flagellation. Yet he never felt HOLY. He never felt justified.The Church assured him he was a good Christian but when he looked inside his heart he saw nothing worthy of God's mercy.

Then one day while studying scripture, a verse jumped off the page of the Bible Luther was reading in his study, and a revelation from God came with it,. it was a verse he had read over and over again but never really grasped it's true meaning. This time was different.

excerpt from http://www.boisestat...rs/luther.shtml

Luther himself tells us about the dramatic turning-point in his life. He was sitting alone in his study at Wittenberg, thinking as he did so often of God's terrible justice. His Bible lay open before him and his eyes fell on a passage from the first chapter of Paul's letter to the Romans.

Verse 17 says, in part, that "the just shall live by his faith." He must have read this passage many times before, but at this moment a light kindled in Luther. As he read the passage, he saw that all of his fasting and penance counted for nothing, and that the only thing that would save him was simple faith.

The roots and birth of the Protestant Reformation was born at that moment and Luther finally realized there was nothing he could DO to be saved, He knew he was saved by grace and grace alone. He finally understood God's love !

God's message is timeless.We are saved by grace, by the new covenant, sealed with the blood of his only Son. His love and revelation is just as important now as it was in Paul's day.

The doctrine that salvation is gained through good works is null and void.Jesus Lives ( he died to us, and he rose to us)! We are saved by His sacrifice, His grace alone. Many Churches are racked with religious custom's, prayer repetitions, and worship of saints and idols.The idea that strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit should not exist in the Church of today. There is no place for it, then or now. The main focus of any church should always be on Christ ,His salvation,and His love, and teaching must be based solely on scripture..

http://www.boisestat...rs/luther.shtml

If circumcision is deemed necessary for salvation, then there is no need for the cross of Christ. The issue of the Messiah's death being sufficient for salvation was important in Paul's day because the Jews were the chosen race and up to then, had been made righteous by sacrifice and the laws given to them by God. They were given the traditions and the feast days etc. as a people set apart for God. With the coming of Jesus as the Paschal Lamb, all that was changed as HE was the final atoning sacrifice for ALL people. Through faith in Jesus, all were now a chosen people, a royal priesthood. Believing Jews must come to embrace this truth. It must have been hard to change a mind set that was steeped in tradition based on loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. To embrace and practice new truths must have taken time for many. Luther, embraced being saved by grace and not by works. In the Church at the time, there was some corruption as to earning your way to Heaven. It was important to him to return to the belief that we are saved by the grace of God through Jesus as our Paschal Lamb and not by our works. To be fair though, I was raised Catholic and was raised in true faith in salvation through Christ. As an Evangelical today, it is my joy to serve Christ in the works he had planned for me before I was even born. Not so I will be saved...but because I AM saved! Praise God! This takes me back to our question yesterday though on traditions and acceptance in culture. Traditions in churches, does not mean that Christ and truth are not embraced. I talk to many who say traditions are "mind numbing" ways to practice "religion" and thus prove lack of true salvation. I disagree. If we are saved by faith in Christ, we are saved. Certain traditions or none. Everything is a matter of our hearts and "why" we do them.

We must though, guard against legalism in any congregation. It is by grace alone so that NONE can boast that we are saved. We are all sinners in need of Jesus.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation? Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death so important in Paul's day? Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

"JESUS IS THE GOSPEL" The Gospel is more than a good story!

Mtt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven

The death and resurection of Christ become nothing more than a footnote in History. This is blasphemy and a rejection of Christ. We must therefore save ourselves through works, earn our way into Heaven. The triune God comes into question. This God's word, we can't pick and chose what parts of it we will believe/follow. If I am not willing to sacrifice the self-involved need to do it myself the most valuable prize alive is lost, maybe forever. I need Jesus for everything. In James chapter the term brethren is not used, but what is given are the results of submitting to the yoke slavery-self salvation projects.

When you an unholy life (the necessity of circumcism) you undermine the message that is preached. In the U.S. we tend to live a life of greed, lusts, and self-centered egotism. We need to fix our eyes on Christ not how we are performing. Not unlike the Pharisees we want others to see us "doing what we should". This makes it verydifficult for our pastors of today also, they are tasked with giving us what we need not what we want.

I don't have to get it right, Christ did it for me. I am worthy because Christ obeyed.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21) What happens to the importance of Christ’s death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation?

If circumcision or any other work of the flesh is necessary for salvation, Christ's death on the cross is nullified.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death so important in Paul’s day?

In Paul's day Judaism was the only religion that believed in the One true God. All other religions were based on idolatry. The gospel of grace and sufficiency of Christ's death alone, superseded the former need to obey the law in order to be right with God. The Jews wanted to cling to the traditions and beliefs they had adhered to, so preaching the gospel was an affront to them. Many who received Christ couldn't "relax in His finished work"....and wanted to do the former "works" to earn salvation.

The Catholic church taught salvation plus works of the flesh and obedience to church "You Must's" , to be saved. Luther and the reformers were restoring the pure gospel of grace.

Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

It seems inherent in human nature to want to "do it ourselves", much like a 2 year olds mindset. Pride and self righteousness dictate that we can and must help Jesus out! One may begin by believing Jesus alone saves us, but false doctrine, wrong teaching and preaching, ignorance of God's Word, and that innate desire which began at the fall of Adam, to "be like God", lead many to fall into the pit of legalism.

Only when we realize fully that we can do nothing apart from Christ, but through Him can do all things, that we can rejoice and live in the freedom of His grace. Thank you Jesus that your work on the cross stamped "Paid in full" across my self effort.

Christ’s death and his resurrection become of no effect to those who want to attain salvation by adhering to the law. Salvation does not come to those who are circumcised in the flesh only.

Adherence to the traditions of men –to the law- could seduce men into thinking that their righteousness was assured. Rather, the law enlightens man that works are never sufficient. Believing that adherence to the law produces salvation results in a)self-righteousness, and so separation from the Father, B) separation from the Gentiles, and c) placed the ultimate authority back in the hands of the man: Jews who were demanding circumcision. The recognition of the Messiah’s death was so important in Paul’s day the Jews were just receiving the revelation of the walking in New Covenant: JESUS!

Luther understood from the scriptures that man could not buy his way to salvation by buying “indulgences”. He knew that the public were being deceived into thinking they had salvation. Luther understood that buying indulgences brought self-righteousness – not righteousness with God; resulted in separation from those who could not afford indulgences; and therefore the public falsely gained/worked for their salvation from man thus placing man in the position of saviour not Christ.

We need to remember that we cannot gain salvation from ourselves but need to be ever grateful of a God who provided us with Christ, the ultimate sacrifice! This understanding of justification through faith negates self-righteousness, obliterates the class-system, and places the authority in our daily walk back to the Father.

How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations? Grace refutes legalism.

Q:4 (Galatians 2 :15-21 )

What happens to the importance of christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to Salvation?

It is means that christ's death was not sufficiant for our Salvation.

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the messiah's death so important in Paul's day?

It was so important for both Jews& Gentiles to put their Faith & Trust in the sufficiency of Christ's death, and stop Looking Back to observing the Law.

The Lord in his Mercy& Grace choose Martin Luther & other Reformers to reveal to Them that ( The Just shall live by Faith...Romans 1:17)and (A man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the Law...Romans3:28 )and ( being justified FREELY by HIS GRACE through the REDEMPTION that is in CHRIST JESUS....Romans 3:24) and all this veres in (The Epistle of Paul to the Romans ). After a hundreds of years the church was decieved ,and turn back from the true Gospel, unfortunatly..untill now in this days, there is still many churches, they believing and teaching to their people that works is needed also to get save.

Why is it important in our own day?

The message of Salvation It is the Same yesterday,Today and forever.there is no change..We must pray for our Brothers & sisters in the flesh , I mean our friends and Relatives who attendant this churches and Explain to them that Salvation comes only through GRACE of GOD ( IT is mean Free Gift from God We do not desreved) and by Faith ONLY in THE LORD JESUS CHRIST and his Death upon the CROSS for US.We can not enter the Heaven through our Works.I am saying that because the LORD in his GRACE & MERCY he had open my eyes to this TRUTH and then GET SAVED. because before I was belong to one of these Churches. Praise the LORD

How does it affect the relative legalism of our Congregations?

As I said above.( Christianty it is not religion, like other religions in the World today)( It is The only Way To Heaven.......(.JESUS said I am the WAY, the Truth,and the LIFE. No one comes to the FATHER except through ME. John 14: 6).It is a relationship with the LORD JESUS CHRIST, without any works or deeds...All you Need is JESUS. focus on Him,worship him, obey Him, Let him used you, to go to the others that they must need JESUS to be their savior & LORD and be Born again. then they can Enter the Heaven without any WORKS>

You can only get saved by believing Jesus died for you.

If you could do anything yourself, this would make Jesus' death less important.

Besides that, it's not only about the law, but also about being Jewish or not.

Jesus died for both the jews and the gentiles.

Christ would have died in vain.

The Jews thought that keeping the law and blood sacrifices would save them. Paul showed them that Jesus died for their sins a lamb was no longer necessary.

Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day? How does it affect the relative legalism of our congregations?

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21)

What happens to the importance of Christ's death if circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation?

Among the foundations of Christianity are the grace of God and the death of Jesus Christ on the Cross. So if we insist on circumcision, or any other works, we undermine our Faith. We nullify the grace of God, saying salvation is by works and not by grace. This makes Christ’s death unnecessary, and we declare that salvation is our own work and therefore we do not need Jesus.

In Paul’s day it was easy for Jewish Christians to slip back into their old culture and way of life. So it was of utmost importance that Paul stressed the fact that justification is through faith in Christ only.

This issue was vital to Luther and the reformers. The primary issue was a dispute with the Roman Catholic Church over justification. Justification by faith was the watchword of the Reformation. Once Luther realised this truth he became a Christian and overflowed with the new-found joy of the gospel. Luther wrote ‘This is the truth of the gospel. It is also the principal article of all Christian doctrine,….”

Even in our own day many make the mistake of ignoring this truth and try and do it their own way. Thereby basing their salvation falsely on good works. As Paul mentions in Rom 10:3, ‘people seek to establish their own righteousness’, and that is what is happening today. People are ignorant of the fact that God imputes righteousness on the principle of faith and not of works. They go about trying to produce a righteousness of their own by law-keeping. They try to win God's favour by their own efforts, their own character, their own good works. Stubbornly refusing to submit to God’s plan and acknowledging Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

The playing field has been levelled, we are all the same. There are not some who are better or worse – we are all sinners saved by Grace!

In Romans 2:25, Paul says that “circumcision has value if you observe the law.” Christ’s death met the requirement of a law that could not be kept. Requiring circumcision denies the necessity and value of Christ’s death. Paul and the reformers were showing that both Jews and Gentiles were made righteous by faith and not by following a set of rules. Christ’s sacrificial death paid the penalty for sin and all are saved by trusting in Him. Christ still saves today and legalism still gives a false sense of security.

Christ's sacrifical death on the cross to provide for God's salvation of humanity is central to Christianity and no conditions of man must be added to it. This issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death is so important because any legalistic requirements added to it change the gospel in to a false gospel; salvation is by faith and faith alone in the gracious gift of our savior!

Christ's death on the cross as our only atonement for sin is the "good news" of the New Testament. In that day and in ours it must be declared and accepted as sufficient alone. In Paul's day, circumcision often seemed like part of the payment for sin... in Luther and the reformers' day, the church may have seemed like part of the gospel... today it may be some other tradition of the church (or our family). "Solo Cristo salva"... only Christ saves... anything more than this lessens the sacrifice at Calvary and corrupts the pure gospel.

As Paul plainly states, "..if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing."

Why was this issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah’s death so important in Paul’s day? Why was this issue important to Luther and the reformers? Why is it so important in our own day?

Paul explains at length that the purpose of the law...was to show us that we were prisoners of sin and that Jesus is that way out promised to Abraham and his seed. Abraham was counted righteous for his faith, not his adherence to the law. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. The law was to lead us back to faith. Martin Luther fought the Catholic Church over this issue of "Faith alone" and even today we must becareful to make sure that we don't follow a gospel of works. Yes, faith without works is dead but works is not faith.

Q4. (Galatians 2:15-21)

If circumcision is deemed necessary to salvation, the importance of Christ's death is then has no any meaning.

The issue of the sufficiency of the Messiah's death was so important in Paul's day because of the teachings brought by the "law bearers" who wanted to equate the adherence of laws to the death of Christ.

This issue was important to Luther and the reformers because of the salvation: to point out that people are served by faith and not by law.

It is so important in our days because there are still people who thinks that, they can be served by doing right things, by not breaking the laws but not following Jesus.

It affects the relative legalism of our congregations by bringing divisions and confrontation within the congregations.

It means Christ died for nothing is circumcision is regarded as necessary for salvation. Faith in Him is the requirement for salvation and not the keeping of laws.

The issue of the sufficiency of the messaiah's death was so important in Paul's time beacause the reccords needed to be put right that faith not works was rquired as was being taught by the Judaizers.

The issue is also important in our days beacuse some people may drift from faith works as way to salvation