JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

(Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from grace" here? Grace is what Jesus brought. If they continued to follow the law, Christ would be of no value to them because the grace of Jesus Christ would become ineffective because they can't follow both now that grace has overcome the law.

How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"? People are depending on their own righteousness and good works placing the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross as ineffective. What did He die for if we could become righteous in ourselves by following some rules?

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by “fall from grace” here?

Paul's use of "fall from grace" in this context points to the believer's no longer maintain a position of favor with God, instead they have fallen to a less than favorable position.

What has occurred that has caused this fall?

After having once believed and trusted the gospel to revert to or be subjected to the law and traditions of men.

How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a “fall from grace”?

The present-day Christian can "fall from grace" by having once being set free from the curse of the law, subjecting themselves to the influence of those who uphold the law and traditions; above the gift of freedom that Jesus Christ's death bought for us.

Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by “fall from grace” here? To choose the law is to reject Christ.

What has occurred that has caused this fall? Choosing to be circumcised links them to the total law.

How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a “fall from grace”? Creating bylaws and other man-made law that conflict with the Bible to increase control of self absorbed leaders.

Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from grace" here?

Paul's use of "fall from grace" in this context points to the believer's no longer maintain a position of favor with God, instead they have fallen to a less than favorable position.

Paul is saying that they are choosing to place works above the faith of Christ. Basically fall from grace here in context is their choosing their own way by way of religious rites to become righteous. The religious rite was circumcision, the point is that the continued practice of circumcision as a religious rite after the work of Christ Jesus on the cross nullified the significance of His sacrifice. In essence circumcision is not wrong, Paul does not object to circumcision, he objects to it as a means that is supposed to bring a man into a right relationship with God.

"Without God's favor on us, we are left to our own devices, to try to cobble together our own righteousness based on righteous deeds that stem from mixed and often corrupt and selfish motives. Isaiah said, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6), literally menstrual cloths. We may think we look good, but stains and filth and pollution are what God sees."

Their choosing to trust in their own efforts by way of ignoring the Gospel.

Self righteousness, works with the intent of being righteous replaces faith. In essences here the Galatians act of self righteousness was substituted for Christ's righteousness.

The allegory Paul gave is beautiful. Abraham and Sarah through Hagar in their own efforts attempt to keep the promise of God.

Verse 29 (translation / paraphrased) At that time the son born in the ordinary way persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now.

KJV But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

In verse 29 born after the flesh, (flesh - the sensuous nature of man). The son Ishmael was born after their own logic, where as Isaacs was born according as God desired.

Abraham and Sarah, through works, applying their own mechanism did not fulfill the promise, they obtained the opposite result. It was not clearly revealed to them until Genesis 17:19 what God had said previously in Genesis 15. By contrast, when Abraham trust God to fulfill His promise, the promise was fulfilled.

How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"?

Through misunderstanding what fall from grace means, associating it with immoral conduct. An atheist can walk in good moral conduct, as can an agnostic. Someone may fall from grace and be damned without ever falling into grossly immoral conduct. One must remember that no one is eternally saved because of their moral conduct. It has always been by grace through faith.

In our present day understanding we automatically incline to the word legalism too quickly. (Any word commanded God is a commandment). The purpose however does not eternally save, it is by grace through faith, yet a Believer should not live lawlessly, laws do have a purpose.

Legalism can be a subtle thing, I have heard many say that they assemble together or that one must do so in order to be saved; others say that they were water baptized or that a person must be in order to be saved, etc.., neither is by grace through faith. Having said what I have said I am not against assembling together nor water baptism, however these and other things are in line with what James brought to light, "faith without works is dead [James 2:18-20]." I don't attend worship service to get saved, I go because being there edifies and encourages me, because I believe. I was water baptized, I did so because I desired to be unified with Christ.

Both Paul and James turned to the life of Abraham to illustrate justification. Moving in a different direction but relevant to my answer. Paul is dealing with the necessity of faith before God, James is concerned with an outward demonstration of such faith before men through works. Paul stresses acceptance before God entirely by grace through faith, whereas James presents the continual evidence before men of the initial transaction. James does not teach that good works are necessary in order to be eternally saved and Paul never teaches that good works are unnecessary after a person has trust in the Lord, united with Christ. On the contrary, Paul agreed with James that for the person justified by faith, good works are essential (Phil. 2:12-13; Titus 3:5-8; Eph. 2:8-10). Likewise, James agreed with Paul that the only condition for inheriting the kingdom was faith and faith alone James 2:5.

Paul simply says law or not law it is of God's grace that any will be saved, and that belief is the main factor. Having said that he does not condone riotous living. Most of Paul's ministry was about conversion, declaring how the guilty and or lost could get in right relationship with God. James was writing to those whom had made the profession of faith in relation as to how they could demonstrate that their faith was with substance.

The same guy Abraham (And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness, Genesis 15:6) by faith accounted righteous, (Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.) was not perfect, however God acknowledge that there were standards that he recognized.

Moving away from protection of God and His favour.

Being circumcised, which meant they had to obey all the Jewish Laws.

If we seek to make ourselves righteous, by our own selfrighteous works, rather than by faith in God.

Trading the status they had under the freedom Christ brought and accepting the bondage of trying to keep the law. It is ignoring Christ's finished work on the cross & go back to trying to do it themselves.

They left God's grace to be put back under the law--trying to earn salvation--according to the old covenant.

We can concentrate on our own good works--being under the bondage of the law instead of accepting what Christ did for us. We don't work for our salvation. God did the work. Praise Him!

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by “fall from grace” here? What has occurred that has caused this fall? How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a “fall from grace”?

Fall from grace in these passages means that there has been a turning away from God's grace and salvation alone through Jesus Christ. Anyone who does that, is cut off from God because it is through faith in Jesus that we are in relationship with God and are saved. The Gentiles had embraced the pure Gospel but were turning away from it by thinking to be fully accepted by God they needed to take on Jewish traditions.

Anytime, any Christian thinks they have to "do" or "be" anything to be saved, has fallen from grace. It is by faith we believe in the grace of God through Jesus Christ. Done deal.

Paul is saying, "You were saved by grace and held firmly in the grip of Jesus by His grace alone. Now you are choosing to believe the lie that you can/must work to continue on with the Lord by the sweat of your flesh endeavors."

They have been deceived by the lie of the devil, promoted through false teachers, through the open door of pride and self righteousness...the part of us that like 2 year olds, stays stuck in the "I can do it myself" stage of development.

It's exactly the same today as it was for the Galatian Christians. Whenever we start to believe that we can add ANYTHING of our own works to salvation and His grace, we've bought the same lie. The devil has always peddled the lie that we must earn grace or salvation....because he hates Jesus and wants always to try to diminish His perfect work on the cross, which defeated his evil works and declawed and defanged him.....unless we choose to give him place in our lives and our thinking.

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from

grace" here? What has occurred that has caused this fall? How can

present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"?

Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from

grace" here?

Referring to falling from grace here,Paul is explaining to the Galatians that to go back to following the Mosaic law they are leaving their high position in the Kingdom of Heaven, their heritage, which was given to them by THE GRACE of God through His only begotten Son, who has set them free! Not by their own powers or the power of the law, were they made free to enjoy this inheritance - but by sovereign power of God and by their FAITH in that SOVEREIGN POWER!!! To fall into the lowest,desolate,place(under the law)would bound them up in slavery once again. They have already accepted that the only way to gain salvation is through Christ, if they leave or abandon this ideal, their faith in Christ alone, as savior, they are falling from the Grace of God.

What has occurred that has caused this fall? They are falling under the false teaching from certain high Jewish-Christian 'officials' whom are calling them to be circumcised.

How can

present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"?

Religion ( legalism) is man reaching up to God. Christianity is God reaching down to man. Religion is based on works; Christianity is based on grace and faith. From then till now man has endeavored to achieve the approval of God through self-generated and self-righteous works and actions, all of which are as filthy rags in the sight of God (Isaiah 64:6). If we are 'buying' into religion on any other basis other than FAITH in Christ, that our salvation is given by grace, not by works of the religious law, we are under the 'spell' of legalism.

Q3. (Galatians 5:4)

Once we believe that Christ alone is not sufficient for our salvation - we fall from grace. There cannot be two saviours; we must choose either Christ or the law. If we choose the law then we are severed from Christ – we have fallen from grace. Christ has done it all, and every time we resort to any form of legalism we are intimating that Christ’s death on the Cross was of no value - in other words He died for nothing. When we are justified by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ we are truly believers.

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from grace" here? What has occurred that has caused this fall? How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"?

What Paul meant by "fall from grace" was that the Galatians christian who had been set free from the burden of the law when they put their trust in Jesus for salvation were returning to the bondage of the law for righteousness thus loosing their freedom.

Any action that deviates from grace and faith to works which is from wrong motive will cause us to "fall from grace".

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by “fall from grace” here? What has occurred that has caused this fall? How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a “fall from grace”?

They've lost their first love -- Christ. Since Paul was not around to reaffirm the teachings of Christ. The Jewish leaders were able to come in and sway them to their way of thinking. They were able to tell them that the Galatian Christians weren't saved if they didn't do certain practices of the law.

I think when we fall into this practice of having to do certain things to 'keep up our salvation' instead of following Christ and His example. I look at it this way, Christ only did the communion once in His ministry, when He was about to die. I look at it as a way to show our communion with Christ and becoming like Him ourselves in order to resist temptations and to live a holy life.

Q3. (Galatians 5:4)

By "fall from race" here, Paul means to change for the worse from a favorable condition, lose something. Exactly it means losing God's favour.

What has caused this fall is the tendency of the Galatians starting following things based on the law than on faith.

Present-day Christian legalism can cause such a "fall from grace" if we forget about faith and start doing things as an obligation; without the freedom or liberty to do them; without understanding why we are doing them.

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from grace" here?

Paul was writing to the Gentile Galatians who said they believe and have put their FAITH in the Messiah of Israel, and yet they were confused and did not seem to understand what FAITH really is.

FAITH is receiving God’s “GRACE”, God’s grace is what satisfies the soul and is reflected in one’s life, it is the divine influence upon the heart, and its liberty is found and displayed in a life full of gratitude, “GRACE” was not to be found in a set of laws.

Paul once again was in great travail as he was trying to reach the Galatians with the truth, so that they would not fall from grace, and the truth he speaks holds true for the Judaizers as well.

Paul was not speaking against circumcision or the laws of Moses, for they are not Moses laws, they are God’s laws, laws that God gave to Israel, for them to keep as a sign of the everlasting covenant between God and Israel.

Falling from GRACE is when one, be they Jew or Gentile, puts their faith and trust in a set of rules, instead of the Giver of those rules.

Therefore, Paul writing to the Gentile Galatians is saying, God’s grace did not come through the “LAW”, God’s grace was freely given, and it is to be received through “FAITH” – faith like Abraham’s.

The Gentile’s are grafted into the covenant God made with Israel through “GRACE”, therefore he asked them, “why would you want to fall from GRACE, by putting your trust in the LAW”?

Satan was at work bringing confusion, testing the will of man just as he did in the Garden, and he is still at work today, corrupting the simplicity that is in Christ.

It is very easy for a present-day Christian to fall from “GRACE” for many have put their “FAITH” in the strict adhering to a LAW or DOCTRINE, rather than the spirit.

However, falling from GRACE can also be present in those who adhere to the strict doctrine of “FAITH” alone, denouncing a purpose of “GRACE” was to fulfill the prophesy of God (Jeremiah 31:33) I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel; I will place my LAW in their inward parts, and I will write my LAW on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

GRACE & FAITH alone, without God’s LAWS for us to follow and live by, we would not know how to please God, we would be left to our own devices, and our righteous acts would still be like filthy rags, instead the Cross has come so that we would be able to, with the power of the Holy Spirit, walk in the light of God’s LAWS, and no longer would we say, “our deeds are as filthy rags”, - “FAITH” &“GRACE” has come so we can rejoice and give honor to the Lamb, as our lives reveal we are making ourselves ready, for the fine linen we are wearing is our righteousness, the righteousness of the saints.

idiom referring to a loss of status, respect, or prestige. "Fallen away" ekpiptō, "fall," here figuratively, "to change for the worse from a favorable condition, lose something."[184]The image is that once you were up high, and now you've fallen from your exalted place. Grace, of course, is God's favor. Without God's favor on us, we are left to our own devices, to try to cobble together our own righteousness based on righteous deeds that stem from mixed and often corrupt and selfish motives. Isaiah said, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6), literally menstrual cloths. We may think we look good, but stains and filth and pollution are what God sees.

Present day Christian leagism today is all the same as "fallen from grace."

Q3. (Galatians 5:4) Exactly what does Paul mean by "fall from grace" here? What has occurred that has caused this fall? How can present-day Christian legalism cause such a "fall from grace"?

Living under grace is like being on the pinacle of success. You are free from the fear and guilt of the law. Falling from grace is like falling off the pinacle and plunging to the bottom and becoming a slave again to the fear and guilt that comes from our inability to keep the law which we are now under, because by our actions or choices we decide to do works to keep us saved.

Oh I am so tired of present day legalism. It is a way of trying to feel like you can earn your salvation ( to show off and feel good about yourself) when you used to know that it was by grace. It is of the earthly Jerusalem with warfare and sadness, not of the heavenly Jerusalem which is attained through God's grace alone.

God Bless

Jen

Romans15:13

Paul is saying that to choose to return to Judaism by allowing circumcision or by legalistically following the requirements of the law, is to step back from or fall from the grace offered by Jesus Christ. The “fall” is caused by choosing to return to the old covenant of the law rather than embracing the new covenant of salvation by grace. We “fall” from grace any time we add requirements or conditions to grace. We can do nothing to earn grace. That’s why it is called grace.

3. a. Fall from grace means - not trusting Christ to be your Savior but trusting the Law to save you.

b. In committing themselves to be circumcised, they became lawkeepers, which alienated themselves from Christ and therefore, have fallen from grace.

c. By falling into unbelief, obeying rules and regulations, doing good things believing these things will save them. In losing God's favor we are left to our own devices.

Exactly what does Paul mean by “fall from grace” here? What has occurred that has caused this fall?

Paul meant by "fall from grace" is that you have fallen from God's favor because you choose the law instead of Him.

Whenever we start putting conditions on things and believe our good works will get us into the Kindgom.

When Paul says “fall from grace” he means that they are no longer free in Jesus Christ. They are under the burden of the law. The thing that has occurred that caused this fall is that the gentiles wanted to become circumcised which they thought would help bring them their salvation. Present-day Christian legalism can cause us to “fall from grace” because we are thing that it takes more than Jesus Christ to save us. It also takes whatever legal thing that we believe in will also save us.

We know Jesus by His grace. When we aim for righteousness through tradition, law-keeping, and man made rituals we estrange ourselves from Him. We fall from grace by "doing it ourselves', by having a fear of man greater than a fear of God, by people pleasing (such as circumcision) in order to not be estranged from man. In so doing, we estrange ourselves from God.

We know Jesus by His grace. When we aim for righteousness through tradition, law-keeping, and man made rituals we estrange ourselves from Him. We fall from grace by "doing it ourselves', by having a fear of man greater than a fear of God, by people pleasing (such as circumcision) in order to not be estranged from man. In so doing, we estrange ourselves from Jesus.