JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Lawlessness vs. the Spirit

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless?

Yes, I've seen Christians act as though they were lawless and have seen them go to increasing lawlessness.

How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law?

Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law by walking in obedience to the laws of God, they do those things that glorify the Father and shun anything that brings dishonor to God.

What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)?

Backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say that the spiritual climate of that congregation is lawless and they do not love each other and will destroy each other.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)?

yes By keeping the laws of this world unless they condrict with God's laws and keeping God's laws. Backbiting and rudeness in a congreation is sin for Christians do not in any way do anything to create problems in God's house.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? Through the Word and the Spirit

What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)?

They are not in the Word and definitely not in the Spirit.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5

Yes!

Love your neighbor as yourself.

It is sick.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless?

Yes, a few, and even more who are legalistic....both create the same destruction in the body of Christ!

When we allow the Holy Spirit to override our selfish flesh, to love and serve others as much as we love and serve ourselves!

It shouts that the congregation is dominated by the fallen nature and that the Holy Spirit has been "shut out" of leadership! The Shepherd has allowed the "wolf" to come in to reign and his flock will devour one another (as well as the shepherd) if this is not stopped. Both legalism and lawlessness are the cause of this dysfunction. This takes a shepherd who is led by the Spirit to bring order to the house.

In one case we experienced, it was the shepherd who became lawless after a number of years of wonderful leadership. He began to devour his own sheep and the flock was scattered. He lost his church in disgrace. How very tragic and sad for everyone and for the cause of Christ, as the community watched this unfold!

Yes. They gossip, tell lies and run red lights etc.

By acting in love. When they demonstrate love towards God and their fellowman.

That the climate is toxic. The Spirit of God is absent in such an environment. We need to be born again, put off the flesh and live in the Spirit.

Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless?

Unfortunately yes

Submitting to the Spirit's leading, following the leading of the Holy Spirit, by imitating the best example, which is Christ, by demonstrating love of God and loving people. Jesus knew the letter of the Law, He knew the spirit of the Law as well because He sought the Father's counsel. As we learn and take in His commandments (everything that God says to do is a commandment) we are to adhere to His Spirit as we apply the command.

The spiritual climate is non-unified, with a high sense of being fleshly, backbiting and rudeness aren't portrayed as loving sentiment, nor do they show that the people demonstrate love. The spiritual climate is poisoned and toxic were backing and rudeness is amidst.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15) Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)?

Yes!

Some christians really think that Jesus died for their sins, so they can do as they please.

Well, they don't think they can get salvation by keeping the law, but see it as directions for good behaviour.

If you're not polite, this is not loving at all, so no christian behaviour.

Yes, I've seen Christians act as though they were lawless. Makes you wonder if they're really saved at all....

Spirit-led Christians fulfil the law by loving and serving others as themselves.

Back-biting & rudeness in a congregation tells us they are spiritually carnal & that they have no witness in their community.

Yes, I've seen Christians that are lawless. They bring a lot of pain to others.

Spirit filled Christians fulfill the spirit of the law with love. Love is the motivating factor for everything they do. For love of God and for the love of each other. They are servants, they are selfless, they are faithful and humble. They are forgiving, not greedy and not envious because they know who God made them to be and are content, so they don't compete or run over others to get to the so called grass that is greener on the other side. They depend on God, not on people. They don't have to have armies of flesh promoting them. They are prayerful and in the Word. They have peace and they live with integrity, not being able to be bought with money or popularity.

Back biting and rudeness in a congregation say to me that there is a lack of spiritual maturity and understanding of the Gospel and what Jesus taught.

Anyone who does not seek after God's commandments TO DO THEM would be living a lawless life.

America is slowly becoming a lawless nation as we continue to take God and His commandments out of our nation, no longer do we want to have His commandments in our schools, setting a standard for our children to live by, and we are trying to have God's laws erased off of our Judicial buildings, as we don't want to be reminded of the orderly system of rules that God has set up for man to live by, rules that are for our good.

In God's laws we find justice, protection for the orphan, widow, slave, and stranger from injustice, in God's laws we find a code of holiness, as God teaches us how to love Him and each other, God's laws teach us what crimes against society are, in them we see that perversion of justice is through bribery, torture of witnesses, false testimony or perjury, we see that crimes of sexual morality are fornication, adultery, homosexuality, prostitution, incest, murder, rape, and slander.

God will no longer rejoice over a nation or a people who does not desire to obey the voice of the LORD God, to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in the Scriptures, the Book of the Law, and do not turn to the LORD God with all of their hearts and soul. (Deuteronomy 30:9-10)

We fulfill the spirit of the law as we obey the first and greatest commandment of all - to "LOVE" God first. The heart’s desire is where we find fulfillment to do them.

God says, "If you love me, keep my commandments", and as we keep God's commandments, we will find in that obedience to God, the Spirit leading us to the deeper things of God, loving our neighbor as ourselves.

The prophet Ezekiel spoke a prophecy - that God will in His time restore Israel, Ezek. 36:26-27 I will give to you a new heart, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will put my Spirit within you, and cause, leading the way for you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, to DO THEM.

Restoration is promised to all those who put their "FAITH" in God's Son, and the promise of the Spirit will be also given to them, the Spirit will lead them to walk in God's statutes, keeping His judgments, TO DO THEM, with the fruits of the Spirit following.

We see the Spirit's powerful role in the Old Testament prophecy, tying God's grace in Old and New Testaments, working together in remarkable harmony of the three in one God.

GOD IS SO GOOD AND SO PATIENT WITH MANKIND, FOR HE HAS ALWAYS WANTED HIS PEOPLE TO BE OBEDIENT TO HIS COMMANDS, NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO, BUT BECAUSE IT IS THE HEARTS DESIRE.

The Rudeness and backbiting displayed does not describe a true remnant of believers, those who are called to follow the Spirit’s lead of walking in love, they are instead profaning God's name by allowing the flesh to rule.

We must be reminded of the great warning Christ gave to us in (Matthew 7:15-21) Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOETH THE WILL OF MY FAHTER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN.

Matthew 7:23 and then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you who PRACTICE lawlessness!

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15)

Yes, I have unfortunately. We are all sinners saved by grace and are in the process of being sanctified, but every now and then our sinful nature takes control and we, myself included, act in disobedience to our Heavenly Father. We can only fulfill the spirit of the law by walking in obedience to the Word. Fortunately when we believe on Christ, the Spirit comes to dwell in us, and it is the Holy Spirit who enables us to live for Christ and to glorify Him. We cannot do it on our own. It is this Spirit that enables us to fulfill the law of love, and if the Holy Spirit is not permitted to fill our hearts with His love we get backbiting and rudeness reigning in our congregations.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15)

Yes,thereare some who act as if they were lawless.

The Spirit-led Chiristians fulfill the spirit of the law by loving one another.

It says that, that congregation is in the verge of detroying each other and the congregation as a whole.

Q1. (Galatians 5:13-15)Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)?

Yes, I have seen Christians who believed that they can knowingly sin. Not seek forgiveness and repent and believe they are covered by the grace of God. They USE God as an excuse to live their own will, believing His love covers everything even deliberate, unrepentant sin.

Those who have been baptized, crucified, died, rose again and live by, and through the Holy Spirit fulfill the LAW of Christ,by loving one another. Christ does not make void the law, Oh, NO, He does not give us a pass to SIN! He graciously gives us a way through the cross ( his own painful death), to be forgiven when we break the law (sin). As Christians we must seek to live a Holy, righteous, Christ-filled life . We (myself included) must realize we are born to sin and vulnerable to the desires of the flesh and worldly values and look to Jesus for forgiveness guidance and repentance, and sanctification.

It shows that their priorities are not in the right place. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ, when we back bite and envy and do other unrighteous acts to one another we are rejecting Christ. We are deluding ourselves into believing we are Christians but the true Christian must always walk in love with one another, for this is Gods command, love your neighbor as yourself. Treat those around you the same way in which you want to be treated. This is not God's 'suggestion" this is His command!

Yes,

By guiding us.

They will completely destroy each other.

Yes, I have seen Christians act as if they were lawless. Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law by loving our neighbor as we do ourselves. But the backbiting and rudeness in the congregation says that the spiritual climate of that congregation if very toxic and they are not living up to the call of God. There can’t be any love in a situation a like that. This will also drive people out of the church.

Yes

Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law by loving one another

Backbiting and rudeness in a congregation says that the spiritual climate of the congregation is that of desstruction.

Yes.

The Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law as they are led by the power of the Spirit unto righteounses and holines as prescribed the law.

Attitide such as backbiting, rudeness etc are the manifestation of the "flesh" nature of those who have not yielded to the power of the Spirit. A congregation engaged in these is pointer of the spiritual decay of such a congregation.

Sadly I have lived the lawless life. I was not in sweet communion with Jesus.

Jeremiah 31:33 states “But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

We fulfil the spirit of the law by knowing the Word: Jesus and His written Word.

Backbiting and rudeness show that the truth of the Word of God is not being preached. Most likely, it is a tickled-ears church.

Galatians 5:13-15 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Paul normally taught freedom but here he is cautioning these Gentiles against antinomianism. He didn’t want them abusing freedom by turning it into a license by grace to fall away from the law as given to Moses. (Freed from the law by virtue of grace)

Paul quotes from the law: Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. ~ Leviticus 19:18

Have you ever seen Christians act as if they were lawless? Absolutely. Any one who calls themselves a Christian and do not ‘do’ the law as Paul said in Chapter three verse 11-12 is in violation of law and are ‘law-less’ . Paul said that a man that does the law shall live in them.

And that no man is made righteous in God by legalism (nomos) is clear, because “The righteous shall live by faith,” (Hab:2”4) And legalism (nomos) is not by faith, but “The one who does these things will live by means of them.” (Lev 18:5)

Why did Paul say this? Because He was quoting the law: Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

Paul says this again in another place:

Romans 10:5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Paul often quotes the law and folks just fail to see the foundation that he is building on. Here is the foundation that Paul is teaching on in Romans 10:4-5

Leviticus 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.

The scripture in Leviticus for example comes from Torah, one of the first five books of the Tanakh. This scripture is part of the teachings of God that we do not stray. The instruction is to keep His statutes, and His judgments. The judgment here is if a man does, he will live in them.

Should there be any doubt whatsoever, righteousness that results from obeying God’s statutes and judgments leads to eternal life. The verse says, ‘he shall live by them’. To make this a stronger statement Paul says ‘the man which doeth those things (the law) shall live by them’.

How do Spirit-led Christians fulfill the spirit of the law? By doing the law as prescribed by the Spirit.

What does backbiting and rudeness in a congregation say about the spiritual climate of that congregation (5:15)? That they are working out their religion more than likely being taught hat the law has been done away with, so lawlessness abounds.

1.a. Many Christians act as if they are lawless, pleasing their own selves and living after the flesh and not by the Spirit.

b. Spirit-led Christians fufill the spirit of the law by serving one another in love. The word says that thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, with all thy mind and all thy strength and thy neighbor as thyself.

c. Backbiting and rudeness in a congregation says that they are not walking in the Spirit but after the flesh, satisfying their own selves and not walking in love. They are sowing to the flesh and not to the Spirit. There is envying and strife, there is confusion and every evil work.

1. a. Many Christians act as if they are lawless, pleasing their own selves and living after the flesh and not by the Spirit.

b. Spirit-led Christians fufill the spirit of the law by serving one another in love. The word says that thou shall love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, with all thy mind and all thy strength and thy neighbor as thyself.

c. Backbiting and rudeness in a congregation says that they are not walking in the Spirit but after the flesh, satisfying their own selves and not walking in love. They are sowing to the flesh and not to the Spirit. There is envying and strife, there is confusion and every evil work.

Have you ever seen a Christian act as if they were lawless? Sadly yes!

Spirit led Christians fulfill the law by not indulging their sinful natures and by serving one another in love.

What backbiting and rudeness in a congregation says about the spiritual climate is, the members are tearing each other apart. The result is out of control selfishness and destruction of the Christian community. :(