JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit-Led Living

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

Galatians 5:16-18 teaches that when we are lead by the Spirit of God we can live a sinless life.

In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)?

When we are yielded to the Spirit of God the power of the old nature is supressed as our desires are for that of the Holy Spirit and not that of the flesh.

If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it's impossible not to sin?

Spirit-Led living is possible, but people clain that it is impossible not to sin because they are not allowing themselves to be Spirit-Led instead they are using their will-power to supress the flesh as oppose to following the power of the Holy Spirit; they're still warring with the flesh and not allowing the Spirit to fight that battle for them.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

We are at odds with our humaness vs our Spirit led sid. We are fighting and the Spirit side wins. If we are Spirit lead we are not under the law. We are told allot of things, but we aren't on this earth to please any humans we are placed here to love and follow the Spirit. Yeilding to Spirit led we are less denying the humaness and becoming stronger than the flesh. We are sinners, but the more we are lead (as an act of obedience) the more we look and act like our Father. Besides we who are spirit led constantly re-evaluate our sins and ask for forgiveness before we allow them to create a block between us and the Spirit.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life.

What do these verses teach about that? We must focus on the Word and led by the Spirit as a deterrent.

In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? We can only serve one master and it will be the master we feed. If we are feeding our minds, hearts and Spirit with the Word, we will have the strength to suppress the flesh.

If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin? Hungry, Horney, and Helpless without the Word. We must NEVER go out unprotected by the Word. Sin is always waiting with "a better offer" and it is always EASIER and quicker than studying. The rewards are NEVER as lingering as studying. Count the cost.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

If we have the indwelling Spirit of God we would not sin.

In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)?

The Holy Spirit frees us from bondage to the corrupt sinful nature and contends actively with the flesh to keep us from sinning.

If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

Even though we have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit we are still tempted by satan who is seeking to cause our downfall. People give in to the temptation even though God has said He will provide a way out when we are tempted. We just have to take the way out God offers thus it is not impossble but possible. People have to remember temptation is not sin, it is only when we give in to the temptation that we sin.

It is impossible for us to live a sinless life, but we can rely on the Holy Spirit and His power to help us choose the right actions. We are now not slaves to sin, so we can be slaves to Jesus Christ & righteousness. Yielding to the Spirit strengthens you & helps you to not be carried away by fleshly desires. Spirit led living is possible, but sometimes we fall. The more we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us--prayer & Bible study--strengthens our faith and strengthens our consciences--then we can live that Spirit led life.

We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

Sin is alluring, our own will (spirit)is strong however we as Christians do not have to succumb to sin, to sinful practices. IF we you walk in the Spirit, align our wills with God's Will THEN the impulses of the flesh won't find fulfillment and thus they lose their power.

James 4:7 says it this way "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." Many when quoting this verse leave the first part off, as we remain in the decision to unite with Christ, as we remain under the authority (adherence) to His Spirit the influence that differs from His will leave. We as Christians as we walk (live) are to do this, as we continue to adhere to the Spirit we can be strengthened.

If we adhere to His guidance we are not under the control of our own, nor is the influence of adversary as tempting.

If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it's impossible not to sin?

We have been exposed to sin, for the most part sin is viewed as enjoyable or in agreement with our will. Throughout every day on any given day through our activities we are tempted, many given into those temptations, the response that I have heard my entire life is that we are not perfect. Our not being perfect is a true statement, however we as Christians are maturing in Christ.

Because we are maturing in Him, because we are united in Him we can engage in conversation (pray) with Him. As we talk we must admit that the impending sin is alluring to us, that we need His power, and thank Him for answering the prayer. Thank Him for providing a way from the temptation. In prayer we are not the only one talking, be it the prayer silent or aloud, as we listen to Him, he provides the way out, or away from the impending temptation. It goes back to if we adhere, yield to the Holy Spirit's leading.

Galatians 5:16-18 says IF we live by the Spirit we will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. We have to choose to do that though. Some of our sinful nature is to "go it alone" or not wait on the Holy Spirit for help. In those cases we sin, because we have not allowed the Holy Spirit access to those areas. When we do yield to the power of the Holy Spirit, taking our temptations to Him, then He is at work within us and even addictions or sins with serious strongholds in us can be overcome. WE can't do that....but HE can. I know! Our lives are a process of sanctification. We have sin to overcome in our lives, but we also have our helper to do that in us. First though, we have to recognize our sin and ask for help! We aren't perfect here...but one day we will be and then we will see God face to face. Until that day, we trust God in our sanctification process here on Earth and we rejoice in the grace given us through Jesus.

The key to these questions is in verse 16. To the degree that we CHOOSE to walk, live, and yield to the Holy Spirit's control is the level at which we deny the sinful desires of the flesh. But here's what I've discovered in 40 years of intimacy with our Lord:

As I've matured through the years of walking with Him, I no longer fall prey to the early "big" temptations which plagued me but Paul's lament comforts me (I do the things I don't want to do, and don't do the things I ought....etc.) because in the Lord's "fine tuning" I'm more aware of those sins that I was oblivious to in my early walk... that ugly thought about someone, or eating half a dozen cookies or other forms of gluttony to relieve anxiety or loneliness rather than running to Him for comfort. He hates the sin of pride, and I'm certain that if I thought for one moment that I was able to live a sinless life, I'd blow it with arrogance! For me to live otherwise, fosters denial, and I can no longer stand to live in that place of self deception.

Only He is sinless and perfect! And He will perfect me "at that day when we are face to face", but in the meantime I strive to yield to Him every day and in spite of His indwelling Holy Spirit and His mighty power to deliver, I fail at times because I fail to ask Him for His way of escape. I thank Him for teaching us about all of the sin offerings in Leviticus (5:17-19) so I appreciate that there was a sacrifice required for unintentional sin and sins of omission or sins committed in ignorance which needed to be atoned for with innocent blood. Jesus died for those sins too. In the early days when I tried to have a perfect "record" I became self absorbed, and totally focused on my "performance"...and found that was sin, too.

I started to say that I never intentionally sin, then remembered that yesterday when several polite attempts to end a phone call with a controlling person failed, I said there was someone at the door and I had to run! So thank you Jesus for the Divine Exchange which took place on Calvary....my sin which You didn't deserve for Your righteousness which I don't deserve!

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

We are told – “IF” we walk in the Spirit, we will not fulfill the **** of the flesh.

What the word tells me is “IF” - if I practice walking in the Spirit, I will not be practicing walking in the spirit of lawlessness.

The “IF” is my choice.

I chose to yield my life to the Spirit’s leading, and in so doing I found it was not the law that died, what died was legalism to God’s holy laws .

My heart and the Spirit’s leading have shown me, God’s law is life to my soul – The calling of the law is not that of perfection, its calling is yielding to the Holy Spirit, and in so doing, I found what being “set free” truly means, I am free to love God.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18)

We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life.

What do these verses teach about that?

We have a situation where the old nature and the Spirit are in sharp opposition to each other. As we learn to walk in the Spirit, the old nature becomes increasingly subdued. So we find by yielding to the Spirit the power of our old nature diminishes. However, this conflict continues and the closer our relationship with our Lord becomes the more aware we become of this struggle; the non-believer is not aware of this battle because they do not have the Holy Spirit. It is only with the help of the Holy Spirit that we can practise self-control, loving our neighbour, and obedience to the Word of God. This was the conflict Paul wrote about in Romans 7. The old nature will continue to assert its desires in opposition to the Spirit but all true Christians will obtain victory over sin by surrendering their will to the Holy Spirit. If we are being ‘led by the Spirit’ and are ‘walking in the Spirit’ we will find we will not be gratifying the desires of our old sinful nature.

We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

We must live by The Holy Spirit, walking with The Spirit means not giving into our sinful nature, but instead seeking righteousness and purification to do what is right before God. That does not mean we will never sin again. The Holy Spirit and human nature (flesh) are sparring constantly with each other. It is spiritual warfare. Our sinful human nature tells us to desire earthly things while the Spirit constantly leads us to God, he spars for our attention, keeping us in 'line' with Godly values.He protects us from our own fleshy desires. It is important to pray daily and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your way and protect you with the full amour of God. We must be on constant guard and filled with the Holy Spirit to resist evil.

In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

The Spirit is our guide, we MUST follow his direction. E.G. If we were on an African safari out in the middle of the jungle, and our guide who know the lay of the land, told us to follow him we would follow without question. If we didn't we would risk taking the wrong path and being eaten by lions or other prey. Now, I'm not suggesting that taking the wrong path in a jungle is the same as taking the wrong path in life. As the jungle most certainly wouldn't have as much of a hold on our desire to leave the guide as sin does. But it is an analogy in which I'm trying to express the very importance of following the guide, Our guide, the Holy Spirit, or risk falling under the spell of sin and certain spiritual death..Our only guide through life is the Holy Spirit, nothing else should EVER come before us and say "Hey, look here, come here and partake" in any activity which is sinful!! We have a choice to answer the call of sin or stay on the path of righteousness and walk with The Holy Spirit. It is a constant struggle, warfare, between sin and righteousness. Adam saw to that! We must FOLLOW the direction of The Holy Spirit living in and through us always,if we don't our sinful nature will destroy us.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

To be obedient to the Holy Spirit

Romans 12 v1-2. If we surrender our daily walk to the Lord invite Him in everything that we do. Setting our minds on the things above, not giving the devil a chance to think about earthly glory in that way we can have a victory over the flesh.

If Spirit-led living is possible, why do people claim that it’s impossible not to sin?

Disobedient

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18)

We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do theseverses teach about that?

About that, these verses teach that if a Christian continues to be under the bondage of the flesh, he or she will continue living a sinful life, but if that Christian allows the Spirit in his or her life then he or she will be freed from the bondage of the flesh and can live a sinless life.

Yielding to the Spirit suppresses the power of the old nature (the flesh) by enabling us to break the hold that the flesh has had over our lives up to the point when we start walking with the Spirit.

People claim that it is impossible not to sin because they have not decided to walk with the Spirit; they are still under the bondage of the flesh, as such easily tempted to sinful ways.

We have the flesh and we have the Spirit.

They're both leading us in a different direction.

The Spirit stimulates us to go in the right direction, but every now and then the flesh takes over.

I think.

We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

These verses teaches us that the flesh is weak and we will alwlays have desires of the flesh. But that does not mean that we have to give in to the temptation.

Yielding to the Spirit suppresses the power of the old nature by guiding us to serve the true God in love and faithfulness.

The flesh and spirt are in constant battle with one another. Flesh is weak. We must stay in Gods word and let the spirit guide us to keep us from doing what the flesh wants.

I think that these verses teach us that if we have the Holy Spirit then we will not be trying to please the sinful nature. I’m not saying that we still won’t want to do these things it just makes it easier to avoid them.

The way that yielding to the Spirit suppresses the power of the old nature is that if we are going to try to please God then we will make the decision to follow what the Spirit is telling us. I think that Spirit-lead living is possible but we sometimes let down our guard and give in to our sinful nature.

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that? In what way does yielding to the Spirit suppress the power of the old nature (the flesh)? If Spirit-led living ispossible, why do people claim that it's impossible not to sin?

Gal 5:16-18 is telling us that if we walk in the power of the holy spirit, we will not yield to the temptations brought by the cravings of the flesh. Thus it is possible to live a sinless live.

By the way, living a sinless life does not mean we may never fall into sin. If we do, we should confess immediatelly.

We need to walk in the Spirit so we do not fulfull the **** of the flesh.

When we yield to the power of the Spirit our desire will be for our Lord and to please Him not the flesh.

I'm not sure. I still find I battle with the old nature especially in my thought train. Sometimes I am so caught up in things that must be done (as a caretaker) that I don't pay attention to my thoughts and actions as I should. I find it easy to yield to the temptation of anger, and thoughts that are not what I desire. The tv is on so much. Oh such terrible stuff. I must then repent and ask forgiveness and refocus my attitude on the Word, prayer, psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. When I am alone I naturally drift towards the things of the Lord. I always ask God to keep His hand on me so I don't drift away from Him. Thank you Lord for your constant care.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Galations 5: 16 - 18 teach us that if we walk unhindered in our relationship with Jesus, we will not gratify the desires of the flesh and so, not sin. As we get to know Him intimately, day by day, step by step, we will find the lusts of the flesh distasteful. Paul is telling us to know if we are led by the flesh or the Spirit in our daily walk.

\Yes, Christian's sin when they put the flesh first. In the case of the Galations they sinned because they chose their own path to salvation by adopting the law and so rejected the truth. As they accepted other's - the Jews -evaluations of themselves rather than God's they fell into sin. We sin by trying to do it ourselves and by going the way of man rather than the way of the Father. God is gracious and he shows us where we have fallen short.

Yielding to the Spirit CRUCIFIES the old nature and crucifixion is painful. Galations 2:20 states "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."

People claim it is impossible not to sin because our human selfishness has not been crucified. As I was pondering this question, I had a thought ; would I die for a particular person who classes me as disdainful? I shuddered at the thought of this person and then realized that if my flesh had been truly crucified, and Christ was living in me, all consuming, I would do whatever Christ asked of me for this person. I have sin that God is working on in my life. Praise God, Jesus has already died for the sinner!

2. a. The Holy Spirit frees us from the bondage of the corrupt sinful nature. If we walk in the spirit we will not gratify the desires of the flesh. The Spirit and the flesh are contrary one of another.

b. If we are led by the Spirit, we are not under the law. When yielding to the Spirit it puts the Spirit in control and delivers us from our sinful nature.

c. People claim that it’s impossible not to sin because they are walking in the flesh. The Holy Spirit restrains us. When we walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit is present to keep us from doing what the flesh wants.

Galatians 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the **** of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Paul once again reminds these folks that they are not under legalism. When our forefathers put their trust in God, they were under grace. (Our forefathers mentioned in Hebrews chapter 11) We put our trust in Yahushua and we are under grace no different than they were. People will tell you different but it is simply the truth. God’s gracious subjection was never a harsh subjection. I have said this before but it bears repeating. God simply would not bring the folks out of the bondage and slavery that they endured in Egypt to bring them out and place them under bondage of the law. They were the ones who got it all wrong and turned away from His graciousness because they ‘thought’ that they were to do the law by their own efforts instead of trusting in God. Same as us now, we must trust in Yahushua and not ourselves.

For those of you who have not already read my document of grace, you can find it easily enough by copy and pasting the following into your google browser, if you are interested. eudoranachand a document of grace

Once we accepted Yahushua’s yoke that is easy and light we became under grace, controlled by and in subjection to the Holy Spirit. Being under grace is a subjection which, because of the nature of grace itself, does not have the usual oppressive characteristics of subjection. We are to live with-in the framework of the law but not in subjection to it. God’s giving of the law was an act of grace which the writing of John the Beloved compares with His sending Yahushua.

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. Grace and truth are personal attributes of God which Yahushua not only revealed in a unique way during His brief lifetime, but, in His eternal capacity as the Word of God, has been continually blessing humanity since the first day of creation and beyond. Grace and truth and the law are all from God, the expressions of Who He is. In the life, death and resurrection of Messiah , God’s faithfulness was revealed in fulfillment of His covenant. This is the grace and truth that came by by Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19:11 ¶ And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

We expect the blessed fulfillment of our hope which is at His appearing. The first time Yahushua came He did not come to judge but to give promise of salvation through resurrection. When God sends His Son again, He has entrusted Him with the all judgment. For now, when we are led by the Spirit of the Son of God, we are not subject to legalism.

We are told that it's impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life. What do these verses teach about that?

We are admonished by Paul that we are not to fulfill (give into) the **** of the flesh. It is only when we do that we sin. When we seek the advice of the Spirit to help us in each temptation, God will use that temptation as a trial to see if we heed the advice that we have hidden in our hearts or the advice that the Spirit sends. God does not want us to sin and this is why we need the Holy Spirit so that we can avoid sin at all cost’s.

While we are off enjoying the company of His presence through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit takes over and battles it out in our flesh while we kick it with the Lord.

There is a root of sinful self-interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. We can not live one way on this day and that way on another day. We have to stay consistant and the only way to do this is to follow the lead of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:16-18 teaches us that if we live by the Spirit we will not gratify the desires of our sinful nature.

These verses teach us that the Holy Spirit frees us from bondage to our corrupt sinful nature.

Yielding to the Spirit suppresses the power of the old nature by causing the impulse of our sinful nature to lose power over us.

People claim it is impossible not to sin because they have pet sins they aren't willing to give up.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Galatians 5:16-18) We are told that it’s impossible for a Christian to live a sinless life.

What do these verses teach about that?

They teach the opposite and supports Matthew 19:26 that with God all things are possible.

1. The Spirit Releases (5:16). The Holy Spirit frees us from bondage to the corrupt sinful nature.
  2. The Spirit Restrains (5:17-18). The Holy Spirit contends actively with the flesh to keep us from sinning like we otherwise would if the Spirit were not active in our lives.

Lack of knowledge of the word of God.