JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Sanctification

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? What theological term would you use to identify this process? How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives?

The Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives by gradually changing us to conform and to transform our minds to the Will of God.

What theological term would you use to identify this process?

The theological term that would identify this process is sanctification.

How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits?

A person who has been a "Christian" for years who displays few or none of these fruits are not allowing the Spirit to take control and lead them. They are not living by the Spirit but instead they are being led by and satisfying the flesh.

Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

These Christians are saved but immature, but they must demonstrate by their work that they are walking in faith or if faithless lose their salvation. Is this too harsh, I say no not when the Spirit is constantly warring on our behalf.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? What theological term would you use to identify this process? How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

It is sometimes called sanctification or spiritual formation.

In secular terms: "Put your money where your mouth is."

People love to talk and to judge; God wants action.

James 2:17-19 (NKJV) (No, this is NOT too harsh--it is accurate)

17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!

As the Holy Spirit lives in us he begins to work a change in us slowly. The theological term would be sanctification.

The question of how can it be possible to be a Christian and not display much fruit I can describe based on my own experience. Many times it is easy to accept Christ as your savior but the idea of giving over your WHOLE life to him can be incredibly difficult. By withholding from giving God complete control, you can very easily display few (if any) fruit. After living my whole life around the church, including accepting Christ as my savior when I was a child, it wasn't until I really gave up my - SELF and handled my life through God in the Holy Spirit. I can finally say (and see) that I do have the fruits of the Spirit. Praise God.!

Was I a Christian then? Of course because we are saved by faith. Was I immature? Yes I believe so. Maybe even a little resistent, rebellious. I don't think the verses in James are too harsh. I definitely feel more alive living in the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit gradually changes us to be more like Jesus. The process is sanctification. If there seems to be little or no growth in a person it could mean that he/she isn't really saved. Only God knows for sure. Evidence of fruit is so important--if you're not growing, you're declining!! James is the type of "fruit inspector" we should be--especially in ourselves!!

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives?

By changing our hearts.

Sanctification.

How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits?

They have not allowed the Holy Spirit to work in changing them. Some christians have been heard to say I born so so I cannot change. Jesus told Nicodemus that he had to be born again in order to see the Kingdom of God.

Are they saved, but just immature?

They are not saved. They have not grown in grace or in the Spirit of God.

What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

Faith without works is dead. They faithmust be demonstrated. No it is the truth. Unless the truth in the word of God is not compromised we will all perish.

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? What theological term would you use to identify this process? How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

The Holy Spirit produces fruit in the lives of believers by coming to live within us and convicting us of sin and encouraging us with love. This changes our hearts as we repent, yet know we can turn to God's grace. We learn to trust Him and love Him more, submitting to what He shows us and His ways. Our lives are changed, showing more and more fruit of the Spirit living inside us.

The theological term for this process is sanctification.

Why do some people, who have been Christian for years show little or none of this fruit? Are they saved? I try not to judge if anyone is saved or not. Sanctification is such a process and some (like myself in years gone past) have so much to overcome. Sometimes I'm sure it seems to well practicing Christians that a lot of fruit wasn't (and if I'm honest, some still isn't) all there. But.... I WAS saved (during my worst days of changing, giving up addictions, letting go of horrible attitudes and workIng through grief and devastating hurts and abuses) but in my heart I clung to the promise that He who started a good work in me would bring it to completion. I cling to that now when I fail at times! I'm not perfect, but I am a work in progress and I do seek all the time to submit to changes He shows me are needed. My life has been changed with no going back..but I know I was judged in my early years (if I was saved or not) by well meaning Christians who I thought didn't know that much of the truth themselves.

All that said, James 2:17-19 says faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. We are to show our faith by what we do. There is a warning in this too. We can not believe there is a one God....but not serve Him or follow Him. Even demons believe and know there is a one God....but refuse to serve Him or give Him honor. If we know there is a God, yet rebel against Him and His ways, then I would take that warning seriously. We all have consequences for our actions. I don't find this too harsh. The Holy Spirit will show us the way, the Bible will be our handbook and our will has to be submitted. It's our OWN choice. We decide.

Gal. 5:24 (1) We crucify the flesh, by (2) yielding to and walking in the Holy Spirit on a daily basis. V25 (More of Him than there is of me!)

Sanctification. This is a work of grace which continues throughout our entire lifetime until "that day when we see Him face to face"....

How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature?

Of course there are many who claim to be believers and are not, but there are also too many who are believers, but are immature, or "stuck" for whatever reasons. I've known some that I know are believers, but they are STUBBORN and STRONG WILLED! Not much fruit, but lots of testing's and trials as the Lord works with them and in them to soften, train and teach...to help them to desire to yield to His Holy Spirit, and have seen that fruit (character) is slowly changed to His character qualities or "produced".

I may be wrong but I'm thinking the fruit of the Spirit is speaking of who we are in Christ, (character, attitude or HOW we behave as we serve), rather than WHAT we do (the works of service). James seems to be speaking to the individual who says he/she has faith, but which never manifests in service to others. On the other hand, there are those who do works of service, with fleshly motives and who do them with the attitude of a rattle snake, but to be seen or to be "obedient"...they fulfill the "law", but the "spirit" is missing and Christ is dishonored by their "rotten or absent fruit".

How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives?

The Holy Spirit, God does not force, He leads, guides and encourages as we yield to Him. We are to become slaves / servants of righteousness (Romans 6:18 {1-23), just as a Christian made the choice to believe in the faith of Christ, the choice to believe in the great work He did on the cross. We also have the choice to adhere to the Spirits leading. Daily as we live, adherence to the Spirit that the Believer received at the point of being justified, they are to take delivery as they live, move and have their being as a humble penitent Believer. As we adhere to Lord and deny ourselves there will be a transformation. He the Lord produces the fruit of His Spirit in our lives as we walk in His Spirit, as we keep in step with Him, as we put on Christ.

Sanctification

How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits?

I do not believe in the term Carnal Christian, however I do believe that Christians can be carnal. In the books of Corinthians Paul never say that these people were not Christians, the books does not track there every move on every day, but it does do is inform us of their behaviors, actions, and thought processes which need to change. My hopes are that they and many as would as will we allow the Spirit to lead us whereby our behaviors, actions and thought process will reflect that of the Spirit.

Sanctification is a process, none of us have been glorified yet, there is yet a change to occur. However our fruits as we live by the Spirit should more so manifest fruit like the Spirit. If these fruits are not manifesting the surrender to Christ has not been complete. Our flesh still has a strong hold if these fruits are not manifesting.

If a Christian desires the fruit of the Spirit to grow within, to manifest they must join their life to Christ, continue in the knowing of Him, remembering Him, and imitating Him.

It is not for me to say who is saved nor who isn't, who will ascend or who will not, however what I can say is that a person who has declared themselves to be a Christian and they do not manifest the Fruit of the Spirit that they are retarding their growth in Christ.

We all have a choice, God does not force His Will upon us. We choose to follow the Spirits guidance, His influence on us or we chose to follow our own influenced by Satan. John 15:4-5 says that if we abide we shall produce fruits in Christ's likeness. but without abiding not so.

What does James 2:17-19 say about this?

As we have faith in Him our lives will (should) demonstrate the faith!

Is that too harsh?

No, it is the Gospel

Fruit is not produced from our efforts by following some legalistic rule, nor are they produced through our own efforts; the fruits of the Spirit grow naturally, as we fertilize it with FAITH and TRUST by following the Spirit’s lead.

They are the Spirits fruit, the third person of the Godhead.

"A tree will be JUDGED by the fruit it produces". We will either produce good fruit or fruit that is corrupt. Christ warns us “Do not speak against the Holy Spirit”, as He teaches us how important it is that our lives do produce good “FRUIT”.

Christ teaches us that a righteous man who is following the Spirit’s lead will bring forth the GOOD treasures, “FRUITS” that stem from the heart, while an evil man will produce evil things, that stem from the heart.

Christ warnes us - every idle word that men shall speak, man will give account on the Day of Judgment, we will be justified by the words we speak, or we will be condemned. (Matthew 12:31-37)

The theological term I would use is called “Metamorphosis”.

I find it very difficult to believe a person who calls themselves a Christian and yet does not produce good FRUIT of any kind is truly a Christian.

A Christian is known by the KIND of fruit they produce, and if they are not producing the fruits of the Spirit, then they are producing the FRUITS of the flesh.

Producing corrupt “FRUIT” is a sign of one who Christ warned us about, they are the ones who hear the word, but the cares of the world and the deceptiveness of riches choked the metamorphosis process, therefore one is unable to produce the fruit’s of the Spirit.

Producing No fruits, or very few over a period of time, would be a sign to GOD, they are not taking seriously what the Cross has done for mankind, they do not have ears to hear the teachings of Christ, that being in covenant with the Father calls us unto obedience, calls us unto holiness, true FAITH will be seen in the lives of those who desire to LOVE God, they will follow after his teachings.

By the mercies of God we are to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is the reasonable service of a true believer.

Faith without works is dead; it is no faith at all!

Because FAITH is an action word, and we say we are of the seed of Abraham, then our FAITH should produce that of good WORKS, as Abraham did.

Abraham’s FAITH was considered that of righteousness, seen in his obedience to God’s command is "FAITH IN ACTION".

Is that too harsh?

I would never call God’s teachings to be that of HARSHNESS.

If it seems to be harsh to some, then I would say they need to read all of God’s word, and to see how their FAITH stands up to the Word of God.

God does not change, we are the one's that are called to change.

God does not expect PERFECTION from us, however, FAITH is calling us to that of perfection, to stand blameless before the judgment seat of Christ, with the reason being, “We love the Father for sending to us His Son, we love the Son for reconciling us to God, we love the Holy Spirit for drawing us to the Savior, and for his convicting spirit that leads us to repentance, so that we will walk in the fruits of the Spirit”. :)

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Is that too harsh?

The Holy Spirit gives us new life, and empowers us to produce fruit in our lives. We see that ‘the flesh’ and ‘the Spirit’ are always in active conflict with one another, but as the Spirit gets the upper hand we start displaying the various character traits Paul mentions – this process is called sanctification. It is a lifelong process. We must ask ourselves if these fruit are being produced in our lives, and do we sense these attitudes in our hearts, and do others see these traits exhibited in our lives? If there is no spiritual growth we must begin to question our salvation. In genuine salvation there is also a constant relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus who said ‘Abide in Me, and I in you’. In James 2:17-19 James said it is not enough to believe in the existence of God, as even the demons believe. When we truly believe the result is a changed life, and we find ourselves wanting to do good deeds; knowing that we are not saved by faith plus works but by grace only. As Calvin once said ‘ We are saved by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone’.

As we walk in the Holy Spirit and yield to God this fruit of produced in our lives. It is the sanctification process done in us when we are God's children. He wants to develop in us our new character so we are more like Jesus.

A person who has been a "Christian" for years who does not display these fruits very much has not yielded Himself to the God and walking in the Spirit.

Some are saved and others I don't know. God alone knows the heart.

No it is not to harsh, it is true.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13<p class="ipsLikeBar right clearfix">

Rom 12 v1 Brothers and sisters, because of God’s compassion toward us, I encourage you to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, dedicated to God and pleasing to him. This kind of worship is appropriate for you. We are to offer our bodies as living sacrifices by letting God to do His will in our lives surrender your daily life unto Him and all you have to do is to Embrace what God does for you is the best thing you can do for Him. In that way you will produce the fruit of the Spirit.

Transformation

How can it be that a person who has been a “Christian” for years displays few or none of these fruits?

We dont have to deceive ourselves that person she or he does´´nt know anything about the Jesus

Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

I dont think so. what Jesus Christ has done on the cross it is the finished work, all you have to do is to know and believe and have faith and accept the forgiveness for your sake, you dont have to argue with that.

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS MAY GOD OPEN OUR EYES TO SEE WHAT HE HAS PROVIDED FOR US ON THE CROSS OF CALVARY MAY HE GIVE US MORE UNDERSTANDING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HE HAS PROVIDED FOR US AS THE BELIEVERS: TO REAVEL THIS MISTERY OF THE CROSS TO CAUSE US TO WALK IN THE REALITY OF THE CROSS AND NOT TO BE DECEIVED:

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23)

The Holy Spirit produces this fruit in our lives by changing our character making it holy.

The theological term I would use to identify this process is sanctification.

It can be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays feew or none of these fruits if such a person is of little faith. He or she is jus a Christian by the outside but not inside.

No. They are not saved; and it is not the issue of immaturity.

James says that, faith without action is dead. thus, faith is shown in our actions.

Is that too harsh?

It is not too harsh. As James says, saying you believe in God but doing things contrary to what God wants us to do is no different from Satan who also believes in God and trembles with fear and acts against Him.

Q3. (Galatians 5:22-23) How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? What theological term would you use to identify this process? How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Is that too harsh?

As we surrender to Jesus and to walk in the Spirit (by the power of the Holy Spirit) we are enpowered by God to be changed gradually through a process of sanctification to bear the fruit of love, joy, peace...self control.

We (most of us Christians do not exhibit selfcontrol hense we live without the other fruit of the spirit. We need to be disciplined, exercise restrain and with the help of the Holy Spirit Power, we can grow to be like Christ.

There's only one way the Holy Spirit can produce this fruit in us, and that is if we give our will to God. We must accept the Holy Spirit's leading, and be willing to give up our own will. The Holy Spirit is the breath of God. God breaths life into us ! When we are baptized and become Christian the Holy Spirit indwells in us. He takes up residency. As we grow into more and more mature Christians, the Holy Spirits gifts begin to flow through us and from us, and begin to form a whole new creation. When we open ourselves up to The Holy Spirit and begin to let Him work in us, it is an amazing transformation. For this transformation to transpire we must grow and continue to grow and learn as God's Children.

Romans 12:2 says

Do not conform to the patterns of this world. But be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is; His pure, pleasing and perfect will.

You see, our mind must be transformed continually by the Holy Spirit. The more personal our relationship to Jesus , the more greater our love and understanding, our loyalty and faith, and obedience, the more we grow, being transformed through the wisdom of the Word.The more The Holy Spirit stirs in us. We can only be transformed by letting go and letting GOD!

The process is sanctification. Discernment is a very integral part of sanctification.The Holy Spirit is sovereign. Discernment is about finding out if it's the Holy Spirit and not someone else or our own will leading us. We must discern and follow God's will, not ours! A good Christian counselor once told me sometimes, oftentimes, God speaks to us but we don't hear. Sometimes we need to be silent and meditate on God's word and listen to the quiet, gentle Whisper to know His will for us.

Indwelt - when we accept Jesus as our savior the Holy Spirit lives in us, He takes up residence. He is supernatural, divine guidance, divine revelation,the gentle whisper of God, the breath of God,and The Spirit of God.

A person can a Christian for many years, believing in God but never really getting to know Him. Some, as myself were baptized as infants. I grew up knowing there was a God, but I also grew up not KNOWING GOD !! I was led by the Spirit to baptism by full water baptism as an adult. At my baptismal I felt the Spirit ascend on me ( much like Jesus must have felt when He was baptized by John). When I came up from the water for the 3rd time being blessed by the holy Spirit, I felt the most amazing, most supernatural, awesome, beautiful, peaceful feeling I'd ever experienced, It was truly phenomenal! Unexplainable, supernatural. The Spirit lives in me! How awesome is that? Inexplicable joy! Now, that being said, I didn't realize ( as an very immature Christian) at that very instance, I had just been born (not reborn) BORN! I was helpless, and just as a child must learn to listen and understand what a parent is teaching him/her. I also was in need of a tutor!The HOLY SPIRIT!! I didn't realize then that being blessed by the gift of the Spirit is an ongoing, learning process which continues through life.

Are they saved, but just immature? Yes, they are saved by justification, but have not yet taken part in the sanctification process. They have stagnated their minds and walled up their heart to the workings of the Holy Spirit.

No, I would say James 2:17-19 - faith without deeds is dead is not to harsh at all. It is truth. When we are baptized, and enter into a personal relationship with God, our deeds come from the discernment of the Spirits will. We are NOT REBORN, we are born. We must grow as Children of God, our will is not ours, it belongs to The Spirit and we must relinquish it all! When we grow, learn and keep thirsting, God's wisdom becomes our good deeds.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.

John 3:4 (NIV)"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

John 3:5 (NIV)Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Temperance is produced by being open to the Holy Spirit at all times and relying on His grace when we most feel like living like the world. The Holy Spirit produces this fruit by teaching us. Teaching is a process of learning, making mistakes, and giving it another go. As Titus 2:11 -12 states, “ For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.”

As Romans 12: 2 instructs us, we need to constantly renew our mind and rely on the grace of God who fills us with love, power and a sound mind.

Sanctification. We are sanctified by the truth and God’s Word is truth. Therefore, sanctification is a result of knowing the scriptures and of knowing Jesus, the resurrected Word!

As for myself for so many years, I did not prioritize a relationship with Jesus above all else.

Are they saved, but just immature? Perhaps. God’s grace is sufficient for us to be sanctified but God will not push Himself against our will so it stands to reason that some people prefer to follow their own will rather than pursue the will of the Father.

This scripture indicates that faith is a “doing” result of our relationship with Jesus. Our “doing” is our thermometer of our closeness with Him. We will act and do as He directs, not as our own will thinks is best.

The Holy Spirit produces this fruit in our lives by us listening to Him. We know that this fruit is not good just by the feelings that we get when we don’t do these things. The theological term that is used to identify this process is kindness.

I think that a person who has been a “Christian” for years can display none or few of these fruits is because he doesn’t listen to the spirit or he isn’t really a Christian. They could be saved because it is by grace that we are saved they are just immature.

James says that we can show our faith by our deeds but without deeds we can’t show our faith. I don’t think it’s too harsh I think it is stating the obvious.

3.a. The Holy Spirit produces this fruit in our lives as we walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. When we walk in the Spirit we are being changed from glory to glory.

b. This process is called "Sanctification".

c. The reason that I believe few of these fruits are being displayed in Christians, that have been saved for years, is because they are still walking in the flesh.

d. Yes, they are saved,but immature and need to repent and start being lead by the Spirit.

e. Faith without works is dead, then he goes on to say. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

d. Yes, it is harsh, but needs to be said to shake them up.

Sanctification is the process we become more like God and if we continue to strive for that goal the Holy Spirit gives us great gifts. If we don't have these gifts then we are not of God.

The Holy Spirit produces this fruit in our lives by working in our lives gradually to transform us spiritually,making us holy in our character.

The theological term used to identify this process is known as "sanctification."

A person who has been a "Christian" for years and yet displays few or none of the fruits is 1)someone who isn't really saved and is just going through the motions or 2) they are being led by their carnal nature and are unwilling to allow the Holy Spirit to work in their life.

Holy Spirit produces this fruit in our lives by conrolling our lives. It will help us to develop maturely and be like Christ.

Theological term to identiy this process is santification

They have not allowed themselves to be controlled by the Holy Spirit. They are still being controlled by sin.

Yes. James says that faith without works is dead. Faith results in good deeds just as when we allow ourselves to be controlled by the Holy Spirit it produces the Fruit of the Spirit. No he is not too harsh.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

How does the Holy Spirit produce this fruit in our lives? It is a daily process and sometimes all the way through the night process to get the bad out and the good in. What theological term would you use to identify this process? I can’t think of a theological term but I can say that this is a cleansing process, by the washing of the word.

How can it be that a person who has been a "Christian" for years displays few or none of these fruits? Are they saved, but just immature? I believe that this question is between them and God.

What does James 2:17-19 say about this? Only by our actions is our faith made complete. Both Paul and James understand genuine faith as consisting of an inward acknowledgement of God’s truth which is expressed and flows outward in the form of good works. James point is that if good works are subtracted from genuine faith, what is left is barren an dead. Paul's point is that if legalistic observances are added to or substituted for genuine faith, that result is also barren and dead.

Is that too harsh?

Nothing written in the law stands against the balanced life of the believer who bears the fruit and gifts of the Spirit.

• 1 month later...

The Spirit produces this kind of fruit by prompting Christians to “love and good works” (Heb 10:24) through the Word and through our relationships with one another. The theological term used for this process is sanctification but it occurs through discipleship. If the fruit of the spirit is not evident in the life of a Christian, it might be because they have not listened to His prompting or because they have been brought to Christ and then left on their own without the encouragement of others. James would say their faith is dead, meaning that it does not accomplish anything for them or for others.