JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, boy do I just find a kindred spirit in Saul. Yes, I have definitely rebelled, gone my own way, letting my path be determined by myself and others.

So, how do I see rebellion in myself? I see me rebelling in many ways, from forgetting to pray to failing to realize that what I dislike in others is a sign of what I dislike in myself. I am a rebel -- like Saul and Peter, who came after him. It would be a better thing for me to learn to rebel against that which is not Godlike. A difficult thing to do, but necessary.

I am unsure of how rebellion is like witchcraft, except that in some forms -- I am only familiar with a few forms -- praying to any entity except to God does not sit right with me. I don't have a problem with others who do that. I'm not going to tell them where they're going to go after they die because that is God's call and God's job. For me and my life, God is the one that I pray to. I've just had to set a reminder on my phone's calendar to help me to not forget to.

Arrogance is a little easier for me to understand because whenever I rebel, it is always tinged with the arrogance that says that since God is with me, it's okay for me to veer off the path because God takes care of me. Well, God does take care of me, but my life is much richer and more meaningful when I am content to be grateful for God's presence rather than arrogantly choosing my own way and having to live with the consequences. It's very much like being a child for me. I can remember rebelling against my parents -- sometimes because I didn't agree with them or didn't want to hear the truth in their words, but because I thought I knew a better or easier or less painful way than the one they were pointing out. Because we are all human, sometimes I was right and other times, they were. Because God is God, I can pretty much count on being the one who's wrong all the time. So, "stop rebelling, stop arrogantly assuming that I know where I'm going and what awaits me there," I must remember to tell myself. My truth is that although I won't know what awaits me when I get "there" -- wherever :there" is -- it is sure to be better if I follow God's lead than it would be and is, when I follow my own lead and/or the lead of others in my life. Maybe that's how rebellion and arrogance are like divination: Believing that I know, based on my fallible and human calculations, what will be, rather than admitting and embracing that I really know nothing at all -- and being happy and content in the mystery of God.

So, when I discover or uncover this rebellion and this arrogance within myself, I know that God is inviting me to let it go. I can choose to hold on to those things, but then that is me making a choice -- a god -- of my own knowing, putting my thoughts above God's mysteries and what God has in store for me. That is what happens if I do nothing but hold on to those things. If I choose to let them go, well . . . I still won't know what's in store, but for me, it's better to not know what God has in store for me than to go with what I think I know of what lies in store for me.

Thank you for that lesson, Dr. Ralph and Saul. I needed that.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Rebellion is doing what we decide to do rather than what God tells us. Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft or occult practices because it both are sins. In both instances the person has placed self or faith in an idol to a position above the true Almighty God. Rebellion and arrogance springs up when the individual presents himself as above everyone, and God, in having knowedge. The rebellious or arrogant person refuses to listen to any one, including the Word of God. When we find rebellion against God in our hearts we must confess our sin and repent, seeking a washing and cleansing by the Word. When we chose not to repent we will find ourselves under God's judgement.

Rebellion is when you rebel against something, and you don't want to do it. I know I have rebelled in the past when Jesus gave me an answer to a request, and I thought it was not correct.......shame on me. We should never rebel against God.

Witchcraft to me is when one tries to not obey what Jesus wants us to do, and do it our way. This can be very detrimental.

If we find rebellion in our hearts against God, we must repent and ask forgiveness from Jesus, so that we do not hinder our daily and momentary walk with Him. If we choose to do nothing, we definitely rebel against Jesus and this can cause us further problems.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? Going against known commands of God

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? Places something in authority besides God.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? We rise above God and put self first.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? Pray, repent, obey.

What happens if we do nothing? God will do SOMETHING; we won't like it.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Witchcraft is the essence, of promoting your will over the will of others and even God. Getting one's own way, makes one feel high and confident as " the Georgia Pines". Witchcraft is a "work of the flesh", Gal 5 & is an enmity against God Rom 8. as expressed, in living after the flesh.

Rebellion , being the opposite of submission, is therefore any effort to have one's own way over the "Way" of Jesus. Therefore "Rebellion", is the expressed intent of the heart , to have one's own way. It manifests itself as impatience and self-justification.

Arrogance is having confidence, in the "self-life", or flesh. Arrogance is the fuel that feeds rebellion, of which needs to die, in us and not have that arrogance soothed through any new age self helps, vain traditions of men, or doctrines of demons.

When we see this stuff, working in our lives, we must stop and patiently wait on the Lord, with a submissive heart, both confessing our faults to one another and working out our own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God working , in us to get this sin out.

If we don't, then chastisement follows, Hebrews 12:6. , to all who are born of the Spirit, and are children of God.

1Sa 15:22 And Samuel said, "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams.

1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has also rejected you from being king."

What is rebellion? Rebellion is going my own way instead of the way that God has directed me.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft in that they both result in separation from God.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? Rebellion is standing in oppostion against God. It is being arrogant towards God.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? We need to repent and turn around and run back into the arms of God.

What happens if we do nothing? If we do nothing, we are separated from God and miss out on what God intends for us in this life and in the life to com.

You explained rebellion well. It is doing what I want to do instead of doing as God commands. If Loving God is first in one's life, obeying Him will be what is in one's heart. Rebellion replaces God as the authority of one's life and exults self. Really, it is idolatry, the worship of self rather than God. To do this is arrogant and it produces more aggroance, pride.

What to do? Confess, repent with godly sorrow and submit to the Lord.

Have read the comparison in error before. Now I see that it is explained as a sin like witchcraft but not the same as. Both sin against God and replace His authority.

"Blessed are thr poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23). What is rebellion?

Burger King promoted it "Have it Your Way"; Frank Sinatra sang about it "My Way", on many occasion we ascribe to it our way, God despises "our way". Rebellion, nonconformity = usurp, insubordination = noncompliance, mutiny = against, rebellion, doing what we decide to do rather than what God tells us. Doing it our way.

Isaiah 1:11-20

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices?

Witchcraft, occult practices are sin, just as rebellion is. God placing them in the likeness conveys just how much He hates rebellion. We as humans, in our own wisdom categorize sins, for example we may have a view similar to the Pharisee from Luke 18:11, I don't do this and I don't do that however we may have unforgiveness within us. This unforgiveness prevents us from being whole, and leads to bondage.

God sees the expansiveness of sin, rebellion is just as bad a witchcraft, for it is expansive, it leads to other things, it is blatant rejection to His command(s).

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance?

Another word for arrogance is haughtiness, this word is often associated with wickedness. Regardless of which translation or paraphrase used haughtiness is not view positively. Both words akin to pride, the word pride in itself isn't bad, (the Lord was pleased, the Lord delighted = pride); however most often this word pride, like arrogance and haughtiness is associated with a negative connotation. When view referring to an individual these word more than often allude to a strong view of Self.

All conscious or open rebellion / disobedience as it relates to God is idolatry, worshipping of Self and or self-will. Placing one's self will over God's Will is idolatry, just as much as if worshipping someone else or a item that represents something.

Rebellion as it relates to God is placing one's own agenda before His, rejecting His counsel, thereby reflecting arrogance.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts?

Through rebellion Saul rejected disregarded the word of the Lord; treated it with disrespect, since we are not God we can only form conjecture. Saul desired the praise of man, the adoration from man more than he desired to be obedient to God. At that moment He didn't want to be intermediate he wanted the praise.

Saul lost sight of whose he was, and who was.

In an effort to get the work of the Lord done, we often lose contact with the Lord of the work.

A. W. Tozer

When we realize that we have been rebellious in our thoughts, our action or any manner we should repent unto Him.

Note: Saul like many of us, may view the surface, I go to church, I pray, I sing, I give to others as offerings / sacrifices that are pleasing to God. We could go to church a million times, pray and sing, however it is nothing more than religious observance if there is rebellion in our hearts. God says to forgive and we're holding something in our heart or our motive is not pure as we conduct these devotions. In either case and others alike the sacrifice is empty and mean little if the heart (mind) is not surrendered God, a measure is shown by simple obedience.

What happens if we do nothing?

Just as with any other disease, if it goes untreated instead of going away, the disease becomes worse. As relating to God, being in relationship with Him, if we do not repent, turn away from deliberate / conscious rebellion in essence we then are against Him. It is not for me to say when the hand of mercy will be turn away from an individual, nor when He will no longer extend grace. I will simply say that His grace is not to be frustrated not is it given in vain.

If we do not repent we sever the intimacy of having a relationship with God.

"He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy" (Prov. 28:13), Isaiah 55:7, It is of my opinion that if we do nothing we cannot have a prosperous relationship with the Lord.

Note: Saul upon learning of his sin acknowledged that he had sinned and in some people's eyes he was repenting. Though his confession may have been a genuine confession, he never takes responsibility for his actions. He said that he "feared the people and obeyed their voice" their command, in essence he said made him do what he did, he blames the people for his actions. He was the leader, he was in charge, therefore all was his responsibility.

During this time period people went through the man of God to seek counsel and or forgiveness, however they also had the option to turn unto the Lord. Saul sought forgiveness from the Lord through Samuel, however he never addressed the issue that was brought to surface in him, "rebellion." He blamed the people not the his mind for rebellion and stubbornness against God.

A view of Saul's repentant plea, verses 24-25 he acknowledges that he sinned, verse 30 reveals what's in his heart (mind). Then he said, I have sinned: yet honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD thy God. KJV Then Saul pleaded again, "I know I have sinned. But please, at least honor me before the elders of my people and before Israel by coming back with me so that I may worship the LORD your God." NLT Saul was concerned with what the people would think rather than what God thoughts. Chapter 15 reveals God's view on partial obedience and an unrepentant heart. The Spirit of God and Saul's spirit did not agree after he did not repent.

Guest Rain200

Rebellion simply means disobedience. This is just as bad as witchcraft because in our hearts we have made up our minds to not follow the Lord but follow what we think we know and try to manifest our will by our own hands- this is exactly with witches do. However it is along the same lines as witchcraft or the occult minus the pointed hat and cauldron- same reasoning perhaps.

Rebellion for this same reason is akin to arrogance. It is a “me” type nature involved, such as with Saul(and many of us truthfully). He knew exactly what God told him to do but he thought perhaps his method is better or that God would overlook it.

If we find rebellion in our hearts, it is time to seek our own reasons as to why we have rebelled. Then seek the Lord and His Word.

Guest Rain200

You explained rebellion well. It is doing what I want to do instead of doing as God commands. If Loving God is first in one's life, obeying Him will be what is in one's heart. Rebellion replaces God as the authority of one's life and exults self. Really, it is idolatry, the worship of self rather than God. To do this is arrogant and it produces more aggroance, pride.

What to do? Confess, repent with godly sorrow and submit to the Lord.

Have read the comparison in error before. Now I see that it is explained as a sin like witchcraft but not the same as. Both sin against God and replace His authority.

"Blessed are thr poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Yes, I see it as similar to witchcraft but not really the same. The idea is very identical. Thanks for your insight!

What is rebellion? Rebellion is doing things our way even when we have been given instructions or orders to do things a certain way. It is an act of disobedience. In this context, it is going against God's ways.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? Witchcraft and occult practices are acts and beliefs against God. The god of witchcraft and occult practises is Lucifer who rebelled against God.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? The reason for rebellion is we think we know better than God. We want to do things our way because it suits us. We think our ways are better than God's ways so that is arrogance. Isaiah 55:9 - God's ways are higher than our ways.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? We have acknowledge our rebellion, repent and ask God to help us. We have to pray for a teachable spirit, a clean heart, a heart of flesh.

What happens if we do nothing? Our hearts will harden. We get more and more comfortable in our rebellion as it becomes second nature to us, and we will no longer trust God or rely on Him. We will do things according to our own understanding and agenda and completely eradicate God from our lives.

Rebellion is dong what we want instead of doing God's will.

Rebellion is as bad as witchcraft because both are sin and a rebellious heart tends to set the authority of God aside and places self in place of God.

Rebellion is doing our own the things our own way and arrogance assumes that we know better than God hence we do it our way.

When we find rebellion in our heart against God we, should repent otherwise God will abandon us.

What is rebellion? In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft or occult practices? What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? What happens if we do nothing?

Q1. Rebellion is when we disobey God and do things our own way.

Q2. Rebellion is a bad as witchcraft or occult practices because when we rebell we feel we have the authority, which only belong to God.

Q3. Rebellion have to do with arrogance because we think we know better that God and because we think we know better that God we have then tendency to do things our way.

Q4. When we find rebellion against God in our heart we must repent and ask for forgiveness.

Q5. If we do nothing, we chance being rejected by God.

What is rebellion?

Rebellion is wanting to do it my way, forcing my will on the situation. Ignoring all authority. Accepting only my desires.

You refuce to accept authority, and to accept God's will, thus you are doing what you want to, or what Satan would want you to do. If you do what Satan would have liked you tom do it is the same as witchcraft.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? I believe my will and my plans are better than God's Authority, God's will and God's plans.

Repent imeadiately, Pray to God to forgive you and help you to get through your rebellion. Beg God to sactify you, to build you, to improve you. Declare yourself the clay and hand control over to the Potter.

We can not be sactified, we can not grow closer to God, we can not build a relationship with God, and we will end up lost

What is rebellion? Going against something.

In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft, or occulet practices? They are both sins.

What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? Rebellion is about having things my way and arrogance is all about me, the two go hand in hand.

What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? We need to stop right then and ask God to forgive us and ask him to help us to go the way he wants.

What happens if we do nothing? God will do something and it maybe something we really won't like. God is our Heavenly Father and he will treat us like spoiled children, if we act that way.

Could it be that rebellion and occult are the same? Occult members worship some one other then Yahweh. Could it be when we are rebellious to Yahweh we are worshiping ourselves?

Q1. What is Rebellion? Rebellion is defined as open resistance to authority. Or as you stated “doing what we want to do rather than what God tells us. In what way is rebellion as bad as witchcraft practice? Rebellion is like witchcraft because of our act of disobedient, stubbornness, and hard-heartiness towards God. What does rebellion have to do with arrogance? We become self-absorb with our way of thinking and belief we tend to become stubborn and ignore anyone’s opions but our own. Saul action when he did not wait on Samuel to perform the sacrifice but performed it himself, showed his arrogance and disrespect for authority. If you note God has always dislike those who rebel or disobey Him. Take a look at what happen to The Children of Israel (first Generation), they died in the wilderness and never made it to the Promise Land and remember when Moses struck the rock because of his act of disobedient he also was not allowed to see the Promise Land. What can we do when we find rebellion against God in our hearts? Recognize it, acknowledge it, and repent. As Dr. Wilson stated we have to be careful that we are not following our own will not God’s will and making excuses for it because of the things that are happening in our lives. Rebellion usually starts with the seed of discontentment and jealousy toward someone. In this case Saul he was jealous of David and threaten he would someday take his throne. However, Saul had disobeyed God twice before David came on the scene, but God knew of his rebellious and arrogant heart and that is why he repented (sorrowful) he made him king. What happens if we do nothing? We become lost in our own way of thinking (stubbornness) and if we fall from grace we are left in a reprobate state of mind. (Read Rom. 1:28)

My name is Freddie and I feel that rebellion is the same as witchcraft because they both take you away from God. A sin is a sin. There is no points given for one sin or another they are all the same in the eyes of God. Sin!!! Have I rebelled against God? Too many times. The good thing is that we have Jesus to go to for forgiveness and repent of our rebellous ways. The truth is that the love of God will always be stronger then any other thing that tries to get our attention. Saul used too many excuses for why he did what he did, and sometimes we try to do the same. God knows us better then we know oursleves so it is best to do what God wants us to do and live the life that he has for us.

Rebellion and arrogance go hand in hand because to be rebellous against God is being arrogant with God. How dumb we are sometimes that we believe that we know better then God? Again this is a time to come to Christ and ask him to help us be better servants and guide us as he sees fit. This is not an easy walk but we can not do it by ourselves, we need Jesus to walk with us so that we can do right by God and we need to allow him to govern our lives.

Rebellion is our disobedience and lack of submission to God and His authority. God's authority reign's supreme and the Word is evident of this. Those who do not or did not (as in the bible) submit to His authority suffered consequences. It started with Adam and Eve and continues to this day. Rebellion is sinful and that sin keeps us in bondage.

Which leads to why rebellion is as bad as witchcraft. Witchcraft is darkness, it is the demonic realm. Witchcraft teaches to rebel, to do whatever is pleasing to self, it is about power and control. If you are doing these things you are not following the will or commands of the Lord. Not abiding by His will is disobedience which is rebellion which in turn is equated to witchcraft.

Arrogance is synonymous with superiority. God is the one and only superior being. To think that one's self is greater than another is sinful. Sin is being disobedient to God, which again is rebellion.

When we find ourselves in a place of rebellion against God, be it conscience or once becoming aware of it, we must become broken and humble ourselves before the Lord. Through repentance, prayer, fasting, whatever the Holy Spirit leads us to do we must obey. Romans 8:1 says "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". If you truly ask our Heavenly Father for forgiveness He will see the sincerity of our heart and by His mercy and grace forgive us.

If we do nothing we become backsliders and are once again in the world. We open ourselves up to all the things that are not of God. We miss out on the many blessings that the Lord has for us. Each day that we make excuses for not picking up the Word, giving praise and thanksgiving, prayer, we are turning ourselves over to the powers of darkness. God want our obedience! As we read today "TO OBEY IS BETTER THAN TO SACRIFICE".

Every day that I wake I know that God's mercies are new and His grace is sufficient, His word says so and we must have faith which is found in true obedience to Him.

1 Corinthians 15:10 "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace towards me is not in vain; though I labor more abundantly than they all, not yet I, but the grace of God which is in me". AMEN!

I have seen exactly this Saul-like rushing ahead of God's plan bear ugly fruit in my own life enough timse that now I really want to seek the Father before 'going ahead.' I want to walk in the paths that He has for me, that He knows will be best.

I am on the point of making some decisions about my future. This time around I will seek the opinions of mentors - without prejudice if possible. I will give myself a chance to weigh it all in the balance. If I I am instructed to by the Father, I am willing to change direction and career - or stay and wait out my current situation. Saul's rebellion reminds me so much of my own tendency to try to 'make' things happen the way I envision them, rather than working with the Holy Spirit to bring about His purposes.

Q1. (1 Samuel 15:22-23).
What is rebellion?
I would say rebellion is doing things our way in disobedience to God. Also, refusing to accept and acknowledge His sovereignty over all. It is a basic part of our nature – we do not like to be told how to live and we do not want to be controlled. Only obedience is pleasing to God. Any disobedience and resulting rebellion as well as a defiant self-dependence, where we place ourselves independent from God, is a sin and just as bad as witchcraft or any occult practices. We read in Proverbs 17:11, An evil man seeks only rebellion … The same as with rebellion, arrogance is not compatible with the presence of Christ in our hearts. Here again we depend on ourselves rather than on God. If we do find ourselves rebelling against God we must repent of this sin and come back to our Lord letting His love fill our hearts. We can do well by remembering and trying to come to grips with the vastness of Christ’s love (Ephesians 3:16-19). If we do nothing about this rebellious nature of ours, our hearts will harden and we will drift away from our Lord. We will not be living a mature Christian life with the Lord Jesus Christ in mind in everything we do.

What is rebellion?

I would say rebellion is doing things our way in disobedience to God. Also, refusing to accept and acknowledge His sovereignty over all. It is a basic part of our nature – we do not like to be told how to live and we do not want to be controlled. Only obedience is pleasing to God. Any disobedience and resulting rebellion as well as a defiant self-dependence, where we place ourselves independent from God, is a sin and just as bad as witchcraft or any occult practices. We read in Proverbs 17:11, An evil man seeks only rebellion … The same as with rebellion, arrogance is not compatible with the presence of Christ in our hearts. Here again we depend on ourselves rather than on God. If we do find ourselves rebelling against God we must repent of this sin and come back to our Lord letting His love fill our hearts. We can do well by remembering and trying to come to grips with the vastness of Christ’s love (Ephesians 3:16-19). If we do nothing about this rebellious nature of ours, our hearts will harden and we will drift away from our Lord. We will not be living a mature Christian life with the Lord Jesus Christ in mind in everything we do.

What is rebellion?